Any other linen junkies out there?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 EssentialBludger

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

I love linen. I'd happily buy new 1000TC sheets and doona covers every week if I were a millionaire.

I change mine and the kids doona covers weekly as I love to mix it up. Couldn't possibly have the same doona cover on the bed for more than a week. ph34r.gif

The kids have about 5-6 doona covers each, me about 10. blush.gif

My mum thinks I'm the strangest person who ever walked the planet and cannot possibly understand why anyone needs more than one doona cover each.

Any other linen freaks out there? Or am I really that strange?

#2 whale-woman

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

I love that stuff too.
We have a fair few changes of doonas. Patterned sheets are a bit of a thing too with me. If only I could find sheets in bright patterns and high thread counts for king beds.......

#3 blackcat20

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

I'm pretty sure I own 5 doona covers for a larger bed I don't yet own...

#4 ubermum

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

11 doona cover sets, 6 sets of 1500tc sheets and that's just for my bed. Don't tell dh otherwise there might be an argument and I will have to buy a giant metal chicken. wink.gif

#5 ~THE~MAGICIAN~

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

Not me. I hate excess linen.

My kids have 2 sheets of winter sheets each and 2 sets of summer each. Same with our bed.

Up until very recently we all had one doona cover each. I wash it regularly, just not weekly. And yes, we use top sheets.

Now we all have 2 covers each, purely because we all found another one we just had to have.

Anymore would be a complete waste imo.

#6 Freddie'sMum

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:15 PM

Yes - total linen tragic here.  Love it, love it, love it.

Went to the sales today and I just happened to buy some more.

Told DH and he threatened to Ebay the linen we already had.

I told him that if any of my linen disappeared, so would parts of his anatomy.

The Magician - that's just not right !!  You have got to have more !! (disclaimer *joke* not having a go).

#7 Tall Poppy

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

Not me. We have 2 sets per bed fo DH & I, this makes it 1 on & 1 in the wash. Or h kids who are in toddler beds so, use cot sheets a few sets each as they're more prone to needing a few changes. The kids don't have doonas so no covers just sheets & blankets & I normally use blankets without a doona as that's what I got use to when the kids were younger & we co-slept.

#8 mumofparis

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

Hello, my name is Jo and i am a Linen-holic....

#9 Velvetta

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

For our bed yes, total junkie, but the children get minimum thread count, so long as it's cotton. I save my indulgences for myself!  I certainly don't change the sheets weekly, I'd like to but I never have time and it's such an effort, but I do like a good thread count for myself yes.
I once spent a night in the UK in totally nylon sheets. Oh the horror!

#10 GamerMum

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

I have had to stop myself because we have nowhere to store it at the moment. So I'm stuck with my two sets of sheets and 5 blankets for our bed (don't have doona, have a mix of minks and hospital like blankets depending on weather).

DD's cot (which she doesn't sleep in yet) has about 20 sets of different sheets, 4 blankets, and pillows she won't be using for a very long time.

This could be a problem when I have a house big enough for a linen cupboard....

#11 Mishu

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

Reformed. Only because DH likes neutral quilt covers, perferable blue. Or navy blue. Perhaps steel blue/gray. White or cream sheets. He likes to live dangerously, as you can see laughing2.gif  Which doesn't give me a lot of scope.

So I browse. And dream. I do own 1000 count white and cream sheets. But would love more. And I really can't find any quilt covers that would suit both our tastes. So, where does everyone buy their linen from and do you have any suggestions for me?

#12 laridae

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

Yes, lots of linen.
About 7 doona covers for my bed, similar amount of sheets sets.
Only a couple of sets of sheets for the single beds though, but about 10 doona covers (doubles - I use double doonas on single beds( original.gif
My linen closet is packed.

MIL didn''t understand when she got a single doona & a couple of covers for xmas for DD (MIL asked us what to get - I asked for a double doona as we already had lots of covers), that I just didn''t have any space left to put single covers in my linen closet...

#13 Chardonnay Buffay

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:00 PM

Please stop teasing me with this thread! The only sheets I can afford to buy are brown/ or dark brown, since DH sweats out an iron ore shadow when he sleeps. If I buy pretty sheets they will soon have reddish brown smears on the them. Same for towels. If anyone has a miracle idea to get said smears out of linen I will love you forever!

#14 Chelli

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

waves.gif Another one here, the worst bit is we have four beds in the house that are all different sizes, so I have to have so many doona covers, sheets, etc.

I need to find a good place for table cloths as well. I take them everywhere with me, especially when going for a picnic or BBQ somewhere. I could use some nice ones for the dining table.

#15 ubermum

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE (Chardonnay Buffay @ 12/01/2013, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Please stop teasing me with this thread! The only sheets I can afford to buy are brown/ or dark brown, since DH sweats out an iron ore shadow when he sleeps. If I buy pretty sheets they will soon have reddish brown smears on the them. Same for towels. If anyone has a miracle idea to get said smears out of linen I will love you forever!

I haven't managed to get red dirt out. I have a few red cat paw prints that have stained for good, despite soaking and sun. I just buy more.

#16 claptrap

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE (Mishu @ 12/01/2013, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Reformed. Only because DH likes neutral quilt covers, perferable blue. Or navy blue. Perhaps steel blue/gray. White or cream sheets. He likes to live dangerously, as you can see laughing2.gif  Which doesn't give me a lot of scope.

So I browse. And dream. I do own 1000 count white and cream sheets. But would love more. And I really can't find any quilt covers that would suit both our tastes. So, where does everyone buy their linen from and do you have any suggestions for me?

http://www.sheridan.com.au/bedroom-1/quilt...uilt-cover.html

Comes in charcoal gray, to appease him.

#17 Peppery

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

Hand up! DD has 6 doona covers but currently will only use the Peppa Pig one I purchased from Aldi a few weeks ago... Sigh....

#18 *LucyE*

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

I love good bed linen. If I could afford it, and had the storage space, I would have more.

I enjoy just browsing the Sheridan shop/section just for fun. Still kicking myself for not buying the Frette set on sale when I was in Rome. I was worried about bed siZing but gah! I should have just bought a larger size anyway.

As for red dirt marks - we have that iron rich, red clay soil here. I have predominantly white sheets. Sard wondersoap is my friend. I use it cold on the most affected areas and give a little scrub. Then sort of give it a rinse under running water and chuck in the wash as normal. I have a front loader, use a warm wash with a soak cycle, with OMOmatic and some Napisan and the extra water option. The extra water seems to help get the linen properly rinsed out. I also use the recommended amount of detergent when on town (hard) water so the detergent does a better job of keeping all the particals suspended in the water rather than attached to the washing.

I only use the sards for bad muddy stains. For things like around DH's feet area, the wash routine above is enough.

#19 noonehere

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

Not here either. We have two summer and two winter sets and DD has eight sets.

#20 Jenferal

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

I have 3 quilt cover sets and 3 sets of high thread count sheets(not 1000, bit too thick for my liking from what I've seen) and my daughter has 3 sets of bamboo cot sheets(will last her years as her cot turns into a toddler bed) plus 3 quilt cover sets for her cot.
She only likes the dinosaur quilt cover I got for $16 at Kmart and mum cut down to fit her wool filled quilt.
I would have more except I have no linen press and have to use the wardrobe in my DD's room(her clothes are in a chest of drawers), sigh.

I bought a new bed a few months ago and had to get all new sheets in one hit pretty much, as they new bed has a mattress that's 45 or more cm high. None of my old sheets fit properly! They were all about 37 or 40cm deep.

I also like nice towels original.gif Matching of course, with hand towel, facewasher, and bath mat all the same.

#21 Al.Packer

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

I used to only like white linens.

But now I feel the need for clashing patterns etc - cannot find anything in King Size though. Any suggestions?

#22 TheCeriseClupea

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

Yes I am a linen lover. I am also partial to a good underlay. The other day I scored 2 comfy ones at Big W. I have about 6 of them, winter & summer types. I only like white sheets but I have around 8 sets of them. Doona covers are something I am always on the look out for. I have way too many but now that our daughter has a queen size bed they are coming in handy.

#23 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

Where do you put it all? I limit what we have because linen takes up so much room.

We have 5 doona covers between 3 girls. And I thought that was excessive. Shocking I know! lol

We have one doona cover for our winter doona. Summer is just a light quilt that I like and never feel the need to change. Sheets are sheets to me, nothing fancy here.

I would like to buy more pretty linen and doona covers for my girls but I can't bring myself to do it. Have to store it all and we have enough.

#24 Lauren Bell

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

I'm obsessed with cot sheets.. I collect them, I make them myself.
DDs bed is changed twice a week, she must have at least 30 cot sheet sets. I don't know why, I am just obsessed.

#25 R2B2

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

ph34r.gif  total addict.

we have so much linen that i've had to banish 2 boxes worth to the garage as our linen closet is full.

I also just purchased a new doona cover for my daughter last night  wwhistle.gif

Halp...I think I have a problem! lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Warnings over child pain relief doses

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has warned parents and carers over a "confusing" pain relief dosage system.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.