Do you read the last page of a novel
Fess up!

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Oriental lily

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

I do. blush.gif

The more I like a book the more I am likely to do it.
Especially if I am worried a character is going to be killed of.  I try and just glance for the names  to see if they are still involved. Without reading to much.

But I do occasionally read up to about the last five pages.

I try sooo hard to resist but can't help it.

Is a shameful weakness.

Spoilers rarely annoy me either.

Like I watched the hobbit last night which is a prequel, I have also read it in book form. So I pretty much knw exactly what's going to happen yet I still enjoyed it.

So what's the difference when so called spoiling the end by reading the last pages and getting a vague idea on what's going to happen?

Anyone willing to fess up?

#2 Oriental lily

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:25 PM

Oops damn this was supposed to be in misc!!!!

My vent is I should have put this in misc lol.

#3 Bluemakede

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

I do, I don't find it spoils anything for me, same with movies and tv shows, I often ask others what happens and will still watch it with bated breath. If I like a book enough I will read it all anyway whether I know the ending of not.

My mother refuses to read the end first, so I like to read the end of her books and then pretend I'm going to reveal all to her lol.

#4 Super Cat

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

Lol yes I do. I read the first chapter or so then the last five or so pages, then the rest of the book with the last five pages again. Spoilers don't bother me either.

#5 Feralina

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:32 PM

Oh yes, I do it when there's a series I'm reading. My wedding day was the release date for the final Harry Potter book, so on the morning of my wedding I was lining up to get my (pre-ordered) book. I then went home and snuck into the bathroom, and read the final chapter. I had to know! No way I could get married without knowing who lived. I also did similar the other day with the final Wheel of Time book - sat in the car after picking it up, and read the last 2 pages (only - I've invested too many years reading it to find out what happens to everyone, I just needed to know that a certain person lived!)

Also, if I know there are spoilers out there, I will look for them. I won't read them if they are too detailed, I usually just want to get an idea of what happens to one or two characters.

QUOTE (Super Cat @ 12/01/2013, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lol yes I do. I read the first chapter or so then the last five or so pages, then the rest of the book with the last five pages again. Spoilers don't bother me either.

Yes, this is what I do! I find it just helps me enjoy the book more, as I'm able to relax.

#6 ~Winter~

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

No and I've never even thought about doing it. It would ruin the book for me. Finding out the ending is the best part and if there is a massive twist at the end I would be waiting for it the whole book.

I read really fast anyway so most books don't take more that one night/day

#7 SylviaPlath

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

I haven't done it with a book, but I did google the future episodes of one of the seasons of Dexter. I was having such terrible anxiety that he would get caught, I couldn't sleep! Lol.

It made the ending less climatic, but I wouldn't have done anything differently.

#8 No One

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:43 PM

I do, and i hate myself for it!  I wish i could resist, but apparently i can't.

Recently i looked up some spoilers for the Game Of Thrones books i was reading.  Very exciting, but when the scenes actually happened, it was a bit anti climactic.  And i can't help but wonder if i would have read it differently if i didn't know what was going to happen.

#9 Beanbag Warrior

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

Nope.  I do a page 99 test with a new author to see if I can stand the writing style, then I read it in the correct order - Prologue to epilogue!

#10 Starrydawn

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

No way. I wold never ruin a read like that. I have never undertood the need to do it.

#11 unicorn

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

I used to, that is one of the downsides to a Kindle, you can't really just flick through pages, even finding the blurb is a PITA. Now I just read from 1% through to 99%.

#12 Oriental lily

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

On the iPad kindle app it's easy.
You just slide the little bar at the bottom.

Easier than a real book.

#13 ubermum

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

No way. I can't understand why you would ever want to. There is nothing better than a good twist at the end that you didn't see coming.

#14 FeralBob!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

Yep, having a Kindle really cured me of that habit laugh.gif

Edited by HappyNewBob!, 12 January 2013 - 05:05 PM.

#15 CFMummy

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

I use to do this all the time havnt done since I forced myself to read HP7 from the start to end without spoiling it. I actually found I enjoyed it more not knowing if he lived or died

#16 Oriental lily

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

It's the suspense!!!!

Kinda of like searching for hidden christmas presents.

Which I actually don't do.

But I did as a kid.

#17 Ianthe

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

Never, never, never, never, never.

The idea is very upsetting to me. Which is weird because I can re read books.

#18 hoohoobump

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE (Oriental lily @ 12/01/2013, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's the suspense!!!!

Kinda of like searching for hidden christmas presents.

Which I actually don't do.

But I did as a kid.

Exactly! I just can't wait to know. I like to just skim the end and sometimes here and there throughout the book to get a taster.

Christmas presents don't get labels in my family for a reason...

#19 seayork2002

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

I do sometimes, but usually only when I am getting incredibly bored but still want to find out what happens (Time Travelers Wife most boring ever) or I am liking a book but it annoys me as it is too long or detailed or I just can't wait.

#20 prettypenny

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

QUOTE (MrsDoyle @ 12/01/2013, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do, and i hate myself for it!  I wish i could resist, but apparently i can't.

Me too unsure.gif

The better the book more likely I am to do it.

When there's a delayed telecast of sports match, I always check the radio/ internet for  the score and my DH hates me doing it.

I have no patience sad.gif

#21 JustBeige

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

No.

I have only done it once many many years ago and I was so disappointed that I ended up not reading the rest of the book.

lol, cured me for life it did.

ETA: I just remembered I did do it on the last couple of Robert Jordan books I read (6 and 7) I think it was.  They were so excruciatingly painful to read and the characters just made me want to smack them, that I wanted to know the ending so i could say that I had finished the silly things.

Edited by JustBeige, 12 January 2013 - 08:02 PM.

#22 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

I do, and it doesn't ruin the end for me as I either forget what happens or don't understand the context anyway.

I'm one of these people that has to Wikipedia a plot of a movie before watching it.

Lol I really hate not knowing what is going to happen.

I had a friend at book club who was the complete opposite and wouldn't even want to know what the next book was remotely about. She wouldn't even read the back cover.

Everyone is different.

#23 miinii

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

NO WAY!!!! I couldnt do it. What i do do is flick to the last page and read only the very last word original.gif

#24 PoshMosh

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

QUOTE (ubermum @ 12/01/2013, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No way. I can't understand why you would ever want to. There is nothing better than a good twist at the end that you didn't see coming.

Agreed

#25 lilmissmars

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

I did when I was a child but not now.

If I know the ending I don't finish the book. It just wrecks it for me.

Realistically I only take a couple of days to read an average size novel so my level of suspense isn't prolonged enough for me to want to peek original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.