Beach Camping on Fraser Island

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 NotRocketScience

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

We have just come back from Fraser Island. We stayed in one of the fenced campgrounds. We always do that when we go to Fraser Island. We do find the fenced campgrounds a little hot due to being set in bushland. They tend to get a little stifling due to minimal chance for airflow. As a result of this we are thinking of trying beach camping over there the next time. We have been worried about dingoes but thought that we might give it a try.

Has anyone on here done beach camping on Fraser before? I'm looking for others' experiences. We have beach camped elsewhere but just not on Fraser.

#2 *LucyE*

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

LOL  DH really wants to camp at Fraser due to childhood memories. I'm very anti, due to dingoes.  I will happily beach camp elsewhere (I'm partial to Teewah or Rainbow beach which has many similar attractions to Fraser minus the tourists and dingoes).

What was it about Fraser that you enjoyed so much?  I'm trying to see if its my own neurotic fears or not. We have family friends who camp there annually. They are conscientious campers and always get bothered by dingoes. Just not something I'm interested with young children.

#3 Leha

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

I've camped both on the beach and in the main campgrounds. This was before the main ones were fenced. It was freaky at night as you can hear them running around the camp ground brushing past your tent.

I would love to go again but not with kids. Personally, I would only camp in the fenced areas. I was cooking dinner one night and was nearly attacked by a dingo. I think if another camper hadn't come running at It with a big log it would have attacked me. If you do camp outside the fenced areas, never go anywhere alone. Even if you go to the toilet at night take someone with you. There is not much food for them on the island and when desperate they will and have taken on adults.

Do you have kids? There is no way in hell I would ever take any kids there after what happened to me.

#4 NotRocketScience

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

*LucyE*

We have been to Teewah and camped on the beach. It was great. We will probably go again if we don't go to Fraser at Easter. The things we love most about Fraser are Eli Creek and the Lakes (Birrabeen, as it's quieter and less popular and Lake McKenzie). We spent two days this time at Eli Creek. I love how you can just park your 4WD right beside Eli Creek, put up your shelter and the kids can play there safely. Is there anything like that within close proximity to Teewah?

We also live in Hervey Bay so it really is very convenient to get to and from Fraser Island. Teewah isn't so far away so is another good option.

Leha

I can imagine that dingoes would've spent a lot of time around those main campgrounds if they weren't fenced as there would've been a constant source of campers and food to be found. I can imagine your experience would've been terrifying.

#5 NotRocketScience

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

And I did want to add, another reason we want to do beach camping is that we will be able to get a nice grassy site which you cannot in the fenced campgrounds. The sites in the fenced campgrounds have a sand base so you end up getting quite dirty even though there are lovely showers as part of the amenities. I found when we beach camped at Teewah we just didn't get so dirty due to being on a grass site.

#6 libbylu

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

We did beach camping on Fraser Island before kids and never had dingoes near us.  DH did almost step on a huge snake when he went for a wee in the scrub behind though!
I guess I wouldn't do it with kids under 5 as you are VERY close to the surf in most places and you just wouldn't want to have to keep that close an eye on them.  And the dingo factor too.

#7 tintoela

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

Hi,

We beach camped on fraser october 2011.  We camped at Waddy Point.  I had a 7 month old and a 5 yr old with me.  We never saw a dingo in the area but we saw footprints in the morning.  Just make sure you put away any food scraps and we kept our food in the locked trailer or car (not in the tent as dingos have been known to get into tents to get to food).  We had a fabulous time.

#8 Ritaroo

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

We also camped at waddy point, well just north of that. Didn't see a single dingo the whole time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Pete Evans says a paleo diet can prevent autism. He's wrong

Pete Evans is not a paediatrician or even a nutritionist or dietitian. So why should we believe his extreme views and remove food groups from our children's diets over the advice from those more qualified?

Let's get back to commonsense parenting

Forget the new 'Lawnmower' parenting trend; try using plain old-fashioned commonsense instead.

Woman sues after having a mixed-race baby

A US woman is suing a sperm bank after it sent her vials from African-American man, instead of the white donor she had selected.

Bonding ideas dad will love

Dad may not say it, but he could be feeling lost, confused and seriously left out. However, there are lots of things new fathers can do to be more included in the excitement of pregnancy and new parenthood.

The house that hope built for childhood cancer

Baby Laelani Baker was diagnosed with cancer before she was even born. Her heartbreaking story is just one of the reasons the Build for a Cure project is raising money for vital research into childhood cancer.

Does stay-at-home parenting get better?

Parenting doesn’t ever get easier; the challenges just change. But the challenges of caring for young children definitely lessens as they get older.

Inquest into the short and tragic life of Chloe Valentine

As the first phase of an inquest into the death of Chloe Valentine drew to a close, there was no doubt Chloe's life was marred by appalling neglect.

When mothers kill

The act of killing one's child is unthinkable for most, and a mother who kills her offspring has a special power to inspire shock and revulsion.

6 beauty tips for tired mums

For those of us with young children, eight hours sleep is a distant memory. And while we can’t do much to secure more shut-eye, there are some ways to fake it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Awkward grandparents

When Grandma and Grandpa pose for a snap with the kids, things can get very weird, very quickly.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.