migraines in pregnancy
how many is too many?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 monkeys mum

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

So five days out of six this week i have either woken with a migraine or been up most of the night with one. Today i woke with one, had two paracetamol with codeine and slept, then woke and although it isnt full on migraine the pain behind my eyebrow/forehead is horrendous.

I am just over my head feeling like this, either with a full one migraine or a horrendous headache. This morning ds2 sat rubbing my back as i was lying there crying in pain.

I havent contacted midwives about this as i suffered migraines before i was pregnant and thought at 18wks its more so hormones causing it. To go to the hospital to be checked out would also mean dp needing to call in sick and he starts in under four hours or asking a friend to drive me or taxi as i feel unsafe to drive with how my head currently feels, and i had two tablets again an hour ago.

Sorry i dont expect any replies to my rambling i am just so over how my head feels when i cant even have anything that will just knock me out.

#2 MrsLexiK

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

I am having those so I feel your pain. My OB is currently contemplating putting me on beta blockers or something like that to try and stop them.

#3 IsolaBella

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

If you are taking anything other then Panedine Forte don't expect it to do anything for migraines.

Like PP see you OB/GP about other options in PG. I have taken beta blockers in the past.... Only problem is these days they give me wicked nightmares (like dead baby in the bed etc).

After DD was born I was in status migraneous so under a Neuro went into hospital, got pumped full of drugs and 5 days later came out without a migraine. Have also learned to limit trigger items too.

#4 Mamabear2010

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

You poor thing. I suffer from migraines, so I understand your pain.

Migraines make you dehydrated, so I suggest making sure you drink loads of water. When I feel migraine coming on, I drink as much water as I can handle before putting myself to bed. I drink at least a bottle of water. I find this helps reduce the headache that I have after the migraine subsides.

I also take anti nausea tablets (usually maxolon because they make me drowsy). According to my neurologist, this helps your body absorb the pain meds (I use mysendol). Apparently migraines affect your tummy and how they absorb medication. My neurologist tells me to take then regardless of whether I'm nauseous.

Good luck! I hope you find a solution. They are such a pain!

#5 tres-chic

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

I'm a long term sufferer too, I hope you get some relief.

My GP said sometimes pregnancy can (over?) stimulate the pituitary gland and that can cause migraines. Worth checking out.

My pregnancies triggered them when I hadn't had one for years and now I get them regularly.

Good luck!

#6 IsolaBella

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

Mammabear my Neuro said the same thing to take Maxalon with any tablets.

#7 Magnus

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

I don't have any advice, so I can only offer my sympathy as a fellow migraine sufferer. Sounds like a horrible week and I hope you and/or your doctor find something that will relieve the pain for you soon.

#8 monkeys mum

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

Sad to read so many suffer with migraines while pregnant, i was on a preventor before pregnancy but they are not to be taken when pregnant. I've dealt with them for around three years now but now pregnant they seem to think they can come and hang around then go when they want to. Psnedeine forte doesnt do anything for them, and im already on maxalon and zofran wafers.

DP organised my parents to have the kids tonight so i can sleep as much as i want to.

Ok back to sleep i go, it seems all i have done today is lie on the sofa and nap.

#9 TheRedWoman

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

5 out of 6 days is pretty nasty sad.gif
I suffer from Hemiplegic migraines and after not having one for about 2 years I had one today.  I'm 8 weeks pregnant and I suspect that's got something to do with it. The pain usually isn't the worst but all the aura stuff really freaks me out.
It was a day on the sofa for me also.  Rest is the best thing, try to get as much as you can - although easier said than done with other kids to look after.Hope you are feeling better soon.

#10 Corella

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

Yup me too with first pregnancy but not this one. My neuro said to take Mersyndol as the antihistamine in it (doxylamine) makes your tummy work still. She also said that being pregnant reduces the threshold for your brain for migraines so you are extra sensitive to usual triggers. She told me to take magnesium as well when I felt the aura coming on.

#11 noi'mnot

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

I really think that you should talk to your care providers, if possible. They'll be able to help out in your situation, I'm sure.

In my first pregnancy I had awful migraines, and would use maxalon and panadeine forte to keep them under control.

Good luck.

#12 sarkazm76

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:53 PM

Another sufferer here.  Got them for years on the pill - stopped taking the pill, never had antoher until I got pregnant.  Had them first tri with my son and then again last tri.  Caffeine seemed the trigger.
This time it is chocolate mostly seems to be the trigger... until last weekend when I had 2 in a row with absolutely nothing that I had had would be a trigger.  In the end I put it down to exhaustion, dehydration and not taking enouhg care of myself.
So at the moment I'm on no caffeine, loads of water and making sure I do get a decent sleep each night (ie go to bed super early to make up for waking to pee/ waking with toddler/ dog demanding to go out etc etc).  I've cut all junk from my diet and avoiding all things I could find listed as triggers.
I hope you get some relief.  I get the full aura too and even after my two migraines passed I was still getting aura on and off later that day.  It's scary.  If I have one more episode I'm going straight to hospital next time just to be sure and find out it's nothing more to worry about.
The heat certainly wouldn't be helping too!

#13 Le-a

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

I used to get migraines quite regularly when I was going through puberty, full on aura/babbling/numbness down one side type migraines. Then I didn't have one for many years until I was pregnant with DS. I figured out I got them around the time my period would have been due, not sure if it was just coincidence or if there was a medical reason for this!

If I'm honest, this is one of the leading reasons why I'm really scared about being pregnant with number two (we are TTC now). What if I'm driving somewhere with DS and I get the aura symptoms, what then? I don't know how I will cope with DS if I have a migraine, I couldn't look after him...

They are so freaking scary and debilitating, I really feel for you OP, hopefully this week has worked it all out of your system and you stop getting them. I also second getting to a GP, it's a relief to hear from others that there are drugs you can take during pregnancy.

#14 IsolaBella

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

Le-a my migraines started 2days before first AF and continued to be a good predictor of AF coming in 2days (I had long irreg cycles so it was helpful). Later on I noticed I also got them at ovulation.

So my first migraines were all hormonal related. The added in stress, lack of sleeping diet factors. Since my stint in hospital I follow an anti tyramine diet, trying to avoid the trigger foods listed. It has worked really well. Also seeing the physio at first signs of tension in my neck shoulder.

http://www.alternative-healthguide.com/die...et_migraine.htm

Eta: I went to see the Neuro and have the radical hospital solution as I had 4yo, 2yo and NB and was losing my vision with the migraines. I had to put in emerg calls to DH to come home from work or pay for MIL to catch cab to our place ($70-80).

Edited by lsolaBella, 13 January 2013 - 10:32 AM.

#15 duck-o-lah

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

Also seeing the physio at first signs of tension in my neck shoulder.
Physio has been a life saver for me when dealing with migraines. I didn't realise I had problems with my neck muscles, but I was so desperate for relief from migraines that I was willing to try anything. Even if it's not a muscle issue might be worth looking into, I have nothing but sympathy for my fellow migraine sufferers, especially when you can't do the decent drugs!

#16 sarkazm76

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

Accupuncture can be great too!
I was driving once and I noticed the symptoms coming on - I knew I wouldn't make it home so I had to pull into shops and ring my mum and get her and dad to come get me and DS.  The hardest bit was explaining to them where we were becasue I couldn't work out the right words even though I perfectly knew where I was.
It's very hard.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.