concealer and foundation advice

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bokchok

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

Hi Ladies

I really need professional advice ito someone looking at my skin and helping re product and colour so I get a good "look" when I do make up. I don't do heavy make up but would still like a good cover if that makes sense, so my skin looks good etc

my skin recently after micro dermabrasion is much better with fewer breakouts etc, but I have blemishes on my skin (mostly temple area, cheeks etc) where I have lighter blotches I assume are from scarring, pigmentation etc - so my understanding is I need concealer and foundation

any advice where they not too biased on one product and give good advice on what to use and don't always recommend what costs the earth? or would you recommend a specific brand? I quite like estee lauder and used that more recently but skin has changed.

I always feel so dumb when it comes to make up basics - I just want a smooth looking cover that's not thick and heavy...

#2 MadyFez

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

As we are in a regional area I usually go to the Chemist every 2-3 years and get the lady to 'make up' my face while I watch what they are doing and then I buy the same colours/shades they have used.

This year I was in parramatta and stopped into Myer and had the same thing done.

I always have to spend $40 or so on certain products, but I walk out of the shop with great make up.

#3 Moneypenny2014

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

We're lucky as we are rural and have one beauty place that sells all of the major brands - so you can test out the lot without the bias you get when you hit a department store and find individual counters.
I think that what suits one skin will not necessarily suit another. Prior to my Wedding Day I went to the above store and trialled a few brands and ended up with Napolean.
I find Napolean foundations look great on and they have a good range from light to heavier coverage.
\My only suggestion is to pick your sales assistant and choose one that you like her makeup (some are a bit OTT IMO, or perhaps they are just younger with younger makeup and I am mid 30's so am after a different look?). She can sit you down and discuss what finish you're after and try a few on.

#4 Moneypenny2014

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

Oh and sorry, another tip - dont buy on the day!
Tell the sales assistant you would like to see how long the foundation lasts and how it looks in natural light etc at home. Get her to write down the colours and go back the next day if you're happy.
I once purchased foundation after looking in the mirror whilst in the shop only to get home later to find that the colour of my foundation was in fact very orange (and horrible!) in natural light. Total waste of $60.

#5 treefalls

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

After years trying out different foundations and concealers with combination skin (I used to have acne when I was younger but now I have open pores and issues with pigmentation - still get the occasional blemish) ... I decided that the mainstream 'high end' brands like Estee Lauder are too concerned with being 'luxury' products and have too many fragrances and 'light diffusing particles' and "stuff". It's a bit like the 5000 calorie mascara with 5000x magnification... IMO, ff it was just A GOOD PRODUCT then they wouldn't have to make so many outlandish claims! rolleyes.gif
Anyway, I have finally settled on Stila products from Mecca Costmetica. Absolutely the best. Does not irritate my skin. Good natural tones. Does not move. Best concealer in the history of the universe... even if you don't want to spend on their foundation, their concealer is worth every penny. You need the one in the little tube, not the stick.
Absolutely love the illuminating foundation in the sealed pump pack for a foundation but at the moment I think my absolute favourite is their tinted sunscreen. It works like a primer and fills up all the open pores on my face, evens out the colour, protects from the sun and then if I need to dot a tiny bit of concealer on anything afterwards, that's enough.
I like products to be utilitarian and do what they are supposed to do. No point having something that feels 'luxurious' but makes you break out or slides off your face in half an hour.
Good tip about trying before you buy though, I agree. Good to check the colour in the natural light too original.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

First look at Renee Zellweger in Bridget Jones's Baby

Bridget is now in her 40s and is a successful publishing executive - but also has a pregnancy to contend with as well.

Newlyweds send bill to no-show guests

Planning a wedding can be stressful – and, as most newlyweds can attest, it can be very costly, too.

Claire Danes: acting out postnatal depression was difficult

Actress Claire Danes found it difficult pretending to have postnatal depression in Homeland, as she had just become a new mother herself.

Sneak peek: Geleeo self-cooling pram & high chair liners

We just spotted Geleeo, a brand new self-cooling pram liner you can buy in time for summer.

The moment a 92-year-old meets her great grandaughter

It's a heart-warming photo this family will treasure forever.

How to prepare for breastfeeding when you're still pregnant

While every woman's breastfeeding journey is different, many hurdles are shared. Knowing what to expect will enable you to make informed decisions if - or when - you meet challenges along the way.

Sneak peek: new Love Mae bamboo dinnerware designs

We do love ourselves some brand new designs in tried and true products. The renowned bamboo dinnerware from Love Mae has just had several more members join the family, in addition to a brand new website.

Mum who killed paedophile gets reduced sentence

A mother-of-five who killed a paedophile has had her jail sentence reduced by a judge who described her case as a "truly exceptional" one.

Toddler's silent debate with mum about naptime

He might not utter a single word - but this toddler is having a great debate with his mother about nap time.

Silence is golden ... or is it?

Silence is golden, or so the saying goes. But when it comes to children, quite the opposite is true.

Awards 2015: Vote now for a chance to win $2000

Vote for your favourite pregnancy, baby and toddler products for your chance to win your share of $2500 in cash prizes.

Scientists identify potential birth control 'pill' for men

Two drugs that help suppress the immune system in organ transplant patients may have a future as the long-sought birth control "pill" for men, new research suggests.

Running for beginners: taking the first steps

It's that time of year when the weather warms up and there's more opportunity to get out and go for a jog.

Tips for turning yourself into a morning person

Mornings are a great time to spend time in reflection or to get outside and get moving.

Thousands sign petition for unborn babies killed by domestic violence

Almost 8000 people have signed a petition calling for a law to recognise unborn babies killed by domestic violence in NSW.

Pregnant Sarah Harris tells body-shamers to 'get stuffed'

Television presenter Sarah Harris has a message for anyone who tries to body-shame pregnant women or new mums.

In defence of 'brexting'

Mums spend literally hours a day with a baby attached to their boob, or giving them a bottle. Surely they don't all need to be spent looking at the baby?

How a fellow passenger made a mum's day on a flight

As any parent who has ever travelled with a baby knows it can be a daunting experience. The stares and attitude of unsympathetic fellow travellers only serve to make the journey even more stressful. 

What are your favourite baby products?

The Essential Baby Awards are on now, and we need your help! Have your say on your top picks and you'll go in the draw to win a share of $2500.

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.