Pool or no pool Updated post 91

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#1 baby*girl

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

I am actually after peoples preferences of having a pool on their property and pros and cons.

We are actually half way through the process of getting one in.  It should be completed next Friday.  But honestly I am wondering if I have done the right thing.

Ours is only 95 cm deep and we have 8, 10 and 13 so they can all touch and all very capable.  We have waited until they were all old enough.

What are the real pains and what are the great benefits.  We are in Qld, so pretty hot location, I am expecting we can use it most of the year as it has heating.

Edited by baby*girl, 18 January 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#2 sandgropergirl

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

We just had ours put in and no regrets. It's small and just near where we can watch them.

#3 Expelliarmus

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

I'm hanging out for a pool. I want the convenience of being able to go outside the hottest parts of the day, not having to drag everything down to the pool and back again blah blah blah ...

I think the biggest downfall is they cost a bit to run. I loved when we had a pool ... *sigh* Best 4 months ever ...

#4 Katie_bella

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

I love pools, but after assisting a neighbour to  (unsuccessfully)resusitate their 18 month old son after he drowned in their pool, i would never, never have one. Nothing will ever bring their son back, or lessen the guilt they have.

#5 casime

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

I got rid of mine (above ground) when DS was born.  It wasn't so much about the safety (although I couldn't justify the several thousand it would cost to bring the fencing and surrounds up to my preferred standards) but that it was a pain in the neck to try and keep clean, and I used it probably twice in a two year period.  But it was annoyingly above ground, which made cleaning it and getting in and out difficult.

I'm about to build a house, and will be getting one in the future when DS is safer to be around it.  But I want in ground, with all the bells and whistles to keep it clean, and I'll pay someone to come in regularly to keep it in tip top shape.   I also plan on having it heated, so to get more use out of it.  I love pools, but they are a huge amount of work.

#6 soontobegran

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

I was hesitant but my DH insisted as he grew up with one in their backyard but have not regretted the decision a couple of decades later. Ours was put in 6 months before our first baby so they have grown up with it but I can honestly say that not one of the 5 of them were ever in the pool area unsupervised until they were older teens. We have 8' fences all around.

There needs to be extreme vigilance and I would not contemplate one that was not fully fenced and gated with self closing gates that were kept in good working order.

Yours is very shallow OP but this does not make it safer. As long as you have made all the safety precautions then you should enjoy it very much. original.gif

#7 *maddierose*

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

When buying our current house we had chosen two, one with a pool and one without. We ended up choosing without as our boys were only 2 and 4 at the time and i didn't want my mum (who looks after them at my house) being responsible for children and a pool.

We are now though looking at getting a pool in the next 2 years when the boys are 6 and 8.

Edited by belnryan, 12 January 2013 - 01:25 PM.

#8 SplashingRainbows

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

Our parents got a pool when we were around your kids ages and it was fantastic. We were good kids and don't do anything stupid but it was great to have friends around and hang out in the pool.

#9 soontobegran

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

QUOTE (casime @ 12/01/2013, 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm about to build a house, and will be getting one in the future when DS is safer to be around it.  But I want in ground, with all the bells and whistles to keep it clean, and I'll pay someone to come in regularly to keep it in tip top shape.   I also plan on having it heated, so to get more use out of it.  I love pools, but they are a huge amount of work.

Kreepy Crawly is our friend casime. original.gif It was expensive to get the water right to start off with and now at the beginning of the swimming season it takes a few hundred to get the water right again but Kreepy keeps it ever so clean and having the pump on a timer to go off three times a day when swimming and once a day in winter seems to be enough.
A good salt chlorinator and big pump is a must. original.gif
Have to say that the family of ducks with their 10 ducklings who set up house in the plants beside the pool did test the water quality somewhat...duck poop stains.

#10 baby*girl

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

I think the safety aspect is in the back of my mind, as I was always against having one, full stop.

However, my oldest DD who has autism and Intellectual impairment has been using a kiddie pool up to 6 times a day and her behavior and frustration has reduced so much with it that now she is 13 I feel quite comfortable with it.

The cost of running it, the fact that it is a permanent item and the fact that I am in the mids of a half wrecked back yard is making me doubt my decision.

Fingers crossed next week I will be feeling much happier about it all.

#11 Oriental lily

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

I would only get a pool if I could get a great one.
With the best security fence on the market.

This means it will be a looong time ( or never) until I get a pool.

I would LOVE one though.

#12 SeaPrincess

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

We had a pool from when DS1 was 8 months old. I loved it. We swam every day for about 9 months of the year. But this is the main thing:
QUOTE (soontobegran @ 12/01/2013, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There needs to be extreme vigilance and I would not contemplate one that was not fully fenced and gated with self closing gates that were kept in good working order.

Don't prop the gate open. Don't ever let your guard down. I didn't even let DS1 play in the garden without supervision when he was little, and earlier this year, if we had visitors, I was always outside even if they weren't in the pool - my children know my expectations, but other children don't.  Nobody swims unless there's an adult in the pool area actively supervising.  Growing up, we moved into a house with a pool when I was 13. I was allowed to swim on my own, and would sometimes get up on a hot night for a midnight dip, but not if I had friends over.  The more people swimming, regardless of age, the more supervision is required.

We don't have a pool right now, but I would love to, and I expect we will again in the future.

#13 casime

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

Kreepy Crawly is our friend casime.  It was expensive to get the water right to start off with and now at the beginning of the swimming season it takes a few hundred to get the water right again but Kreepy keeps it ever so clean and having the pump on a timer to go off three times a day when swimming and once a day in winter seems to be enough.
A good salt chlorinator and big pump is a must.  
Have to say that the family of ducks with their 10 ducklings who set up house in the plants beside the pool did test the water quality somewhat...duck poop stains.

Yup, we always had Kreepy in our pools when I was growing up.   I had one in this above ground pool, but it just never worked.  A real pain in the neck.  I don't think the pool itself had ever been installed properly, a bit of a home handyman job.  

I don't think ducks would be silly enough to stick around any pool of mine.  Not with five retrievers in residence!

#14 mards

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

Put ours in a year ago!! - Wondered why we did as last summer was the worst it seemed in history  - But now NO regrets what soever... We wonder now what we did without it... I think we have been in every day for a couple of months - The pool keeps itself clean - the filter needs a clean once a week - and may need to scoop a few leaves out every now and then - but it really has been no huge hassel.. We are having friends of for swim/bbq tonight - perfect for entertaining too.

#15 gemgirl

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

Love having a pool! Especially back when I was a kid and especially now, 7 months pregnant.

#16 soontobegran

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

QUOTE (casime @ 12/01/2013, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think ducks would be silly enough to stick around any pool of mine.  Not with five retrievers in residence!

They were not the slightest bit perturbed by our two little yappers but we were concerned about the tiny ducklings who got into the pool easily but struggled to get out so we eventually called in our amazing local wildlife rescuer and she and DH spent 2 hours in the hot sun rounding up the family with pool scoops and nets and releasing them in a gorgeous ornamental lake at one of our local businesses.
A very happy ending and now a poop free pool. original.gif

#17 KT1978

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

Love ours.

It's salt so lower maintenance.

Great for entertaining.

No lawn to mow.

We have three sets of fences between the street and the pool, and a ten year old so I'm not concerned about the safety aspect whatsoever.

#18 twinboys

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

We have just moved from Melbourne ( would not have owned one in Melb as it does not stay warm enough to warrant one...IMO)
And I would never have lived in a house that had a pool when I had twin toddlers - too much risk with drowning!

We have just moved to Sydney and a pool was on our checklist of desirable extras.

We now have a pool - but it is a PITA to clean as it is a rock style pool so kreepy Krawlies don't work in them and you have to manually vacuum it. (We didn't know this when we bought the house)

We are still getting our heads around the chemical balance side of things but we have a pool guy coming out once a month to keep it all clean and balanced.
Hopefully we will get the hang of it by next month and won't have to pay for him any more.

My kids are 7.5 years and it is the perfect age for them and we are having a ball this summer with a pool!!

They are only allowed in the pool with an adult in the backyard with them.

#19 baddmammajamma

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

QUOTE (baby*girl @ 12/01/2013, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the safety aspect is in the back of my mind, as I was always against having one, full stop.

However, my oldest DD who has autism and Intellectual impairment has been using a kiddie pool up to 6 times a day and her behavior and frustration has reduced so much with it that now she is 13 I feel quite comfortable with it.

The cost of running it, the fact that it is a permanent item and the fact that I am in the mids of a half wrecked back yard is making me doubt my decision.

Fingers crossed next week I will be feeling much happier about it all.

I hope it proves to be something that provides a lot of enjoyment for your family.

To be honest, for me, the idea of having a pool in the yard makes me nervous -- especially since I have a child with ASD who is obsessed with swimming. Even though she is very high functioning, I would worry that she would go to any lengths to go for a swim on her terms and not exercise good judgment in the process.  Unfortunately, a local ASD family recently lost their primary school aged son to a backyard drowning (child was old enough to figure out a way into the pool).

I obviously don't know your daughter or her capacity to understand safety rules/the level of her interest in swimming, so the thoughts above are just based on my own family dynamics & experiences.

I imagine you have looked into the best security system possible to make sure your kids (especially a 13 year old) can't possible have any access to the pool without an adult present.

#20 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

When we finally build, the kids will be school aged.  DH and I will be putting in a pool if finances permit (well, DH doesn't know that, but I certainly do).  We won't compromise on safety - it will have all the best fences, etc and will be positioned such the supervision will not be hassle.  DH would not agree to it when kids were pre-school, but once both kids are school-aged and competent swimmers, DH has said he would be keen for it.  He grew up on a farm and had access to two dams and loved being able to have a swim whenever he wanted to (no fences and totally unsupervised, mind you!)  I never grew up with a pool, but was very envious of friends who did have one.  And am currently envious of neighbours that we can hear splashing every day.

Anyway, we will do it eventually.  salt water and solar-heated is my preference.

#21 baby*girl

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

QUOTE (baddmammajamma @ 12/01/2013, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope it proves to be something that provides a lot of enjoyment for your family.

To be honest, for me, the idea of having a pool in the yard makes me nervous -- especially since I have a child with ASD who is obsessed with swimming. Even though she is very high functioning, I would worry that she would go to any lengths to go for a swim on her terms and not exercise good judgment in the process.  Unfortunately, a local ASD family recently lost their primary school aged son to a backyard drowning (child was old enough to figure out a way into the pool).

I obviously don't know your daughter or her capacity to understand safety rules/the level of her interest in swimming, so the thoughts above are just based on my own family dynamics & experiences.

I imagine you have looked into the best security system possible to make sure your kids (especially a 13 year old) can't possible have any access to the pool without an adult present.

I agree with everything you wrote.  My DD escaped from our home at about 5 years old, in the middle of the night and was found naked by the local lake, by a shift worker heading home.  We know how blessed we are that didn't end worse.

DD did have that obsessiveness about swimming at an earlier age, and is the real reason why we never even considered it earlier.   I finally do feel comfortable with her ability in the water now.

Edited by baby*girl, 12 January 2013 - 02:18 PM.

#22 baby*girl

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:21 PM

I am still not completely aware of what cleaning is involved by some one is coming out on Friday morning to arrange all that and by the look of all the chemicals that have been delivered it may be tricky.   I hope not though.  We did get a self cleaning thing, so its supposed to be just add chemicals and press a button.

#23 ~iMum~

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

We live in north QLD, so can definately justify a pool. Our current house had one when we bought it, but we filled it in. A previous house we owned had a pool and it was more hassle than it was worth. If you can locate in an area where leaves and twigs won't constantly blow into it and in an area partly shaded so it doesn't evaporate too quickly, then cleaning and maintenace will be easier. Yes, you can leave the Kreepy Krawley in all the time, but then you have to either take it our or swim around it. Chemicals (need I say more?). Cost of water to top up. Extra electricity costs due to filter.

IMHO going to public pools/friends pools, beaches, water parks etc, even with buyng ice creams and what not as part of the trip, and over the course of childhood, will still come in cheaper than the expense of putting in and maintaining a pool.

#24 JRA

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

I hope it works for you. To me a pool
95cm deep has the work of a pool and little of the benefits.

#25 unicorn

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

We have for the last couple of years had a cheapie above ground pool, that DH and I use more than the kids, we are thinking of buying another house soon and on my list of "must haves" is a pool.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Australia's top baby names of 2013

Essential Baby has compiled the data available from government records around the country to bring you the list of Australia's top baby names of 2013.

Sara James: fighting for my daughter

Sara James was a high-profile New York journalist, but it was her own daughter's story which raised the most questions.

Siblings and best of friends

I know we'll have some tense moments. I know there will be arguments. But I also know these two will always have this most beautiful bond.

In defence of mums on the phone

I know news stories always attract a range of opinions, and I know they're a place for people to have an anonymous dig in. However, I also know that this mum bashing has to stop.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Pregnancy essentials for the second and third trimesters

So you're through the first trimester of pregnancy - congratulations! Here are some tips for getting through the next six months as comfortably and happily as possible.

Coles Easter eggs recalled due to presence of tree nuts

An allergic reaction has lead to the urgent recall of a variety of Coles brand Easter eggs.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Why I love the small age gap between my kids

Six months after our son turned one, we welcomed son number two into our lives. Yes, the small age gap had been planned - and there are things I love and hate about that small gap.

Parents warned about posting kids' photos online

Parents could be putting their kids at risk by posting images and information online which give away personal details, such as where they go to school and which parks they frequent.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Mum's the word when it comes to baby news

The arrival of a baby is big news, but friends and family need to understand it is not their news to share.

What?s in your parenting toolbox?

So often as parents, we don?t really talk about our ?parenting toolboxes?. But you need to be aware of what you and your partner are working with, and to decide what does and doesn't fit in your lives.

Classroom pregnancy prank goes viral

An American college professor has had to rethink his strict rule about answering cell phones in class after being the victim of an April Fools' prank that has gone viral.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Australia's top baby names of 2013

Essential Baby has compiled the data available from government records around the country to bring you the list of Australia's top baby names of 2013.

Video: Dad turns son into action movie hero

Many kids would love to be an action movie hero in real life, but very few will ever be able to see themselves in movies like these.

Toilet training in winter

There?s no need to stop thinking about toilet training just because the temperature is dropping: winter is a good a time as any to start the process.

What do you do all day?

It's the question all new mothers dread. For Kate Fridkis, it's a question that strikes to the heart of what it is to be a woman.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Video: Baby starts his day with a dance party

Few people start their day the same way this little guy does ? dancing, smiling, and generally having an awesome time.

IKEA announces bed canopy recall

IKEA has recalled its range of bed canopies designed to suspend above children?s beds following reported cases of injuries and entanglement.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.