What to expect? Update #13 (MC Section)
Warning: May be distressing for some.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Bwok~Bwok

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

On Thursday at 9w3d I found out that the heart has stopped beating. I'm booked in to have a D&C on Monday - which I have dicussed everything with the Dr.

But there is a chance I may m/c before then and I don't know what to expect?

I had a m/c in 2003, but at the time I didn't know it was a m/c until about 2 weeks later. One thing I do remember is that AF arrived and about 2 days later I was at work and heard a 'pop' and then had a heavy flow - but of course I didn't know I had been pg. I don't know how far along I was. I was on a break from TTC as I had only lost my mother about 5 months before so I wasn't paying attention to my cycle.

With the Chemical Pg I had in Oct/Nov (Fresh Transfer from IVF) I never got AF, my levels went back to 0 and we went straight into a FET (Frozen Embryo Transfer) which is this one. I was on progesterone support for about 7 weeks, but they stopped on Thursday!

The hospital where I am having the surgery have given me a speciman jar incase I m/c (which made me feel a bit sick), but I'm worried about leaving the house and the m/c happening away from home.

Will it start off a small bleed or will it start off as a heavy bleed?
How much cramping will there be? Will it be worse than AF Cramps?

*Warning this bit may distress some people*
and my worst fear, will I see anything or will it be like clots?

ATM I am getting cramps, but I've been getting them all the way through, but I've been having a 'pinching' feeling which comes and goes. Also last weekend I had, what i can only describe as, my uterus being filled with air and then releasing - that didn't go on for very long and hasn't happened since.

Thank you original.gif

Edited by Bwok~Bwok, 15 January 2013 - 10:15 AM.

#2 Always amazed!

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

Sorry for your loss

With my first m/c I spotted for a week then woke up the morning of my d&c with cramps that would come and go regularly.
They increased in pain on the way to hospital.
Of course while I waited for D&c I went to the toilet as I had felt something come out.  Once I sat down on the toilet there was a lot of blood huge clots ect. I think it was then I lost the bub but wasn't game to look in the toilet:-( still feel bad about it to this day.

The cramping eased up a bit after this but still had some huge clots.
I still ended up having d&c as they wanted to make sure it was all gorn.

#3 gab72

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

sad.gif  

For my m/c, I actually kept taking the pessaries until the d&c because I wanted to try to make sure nothing happened beforehand (mainly because I wanted to foetus tested). My dr did say that he was fairly confident if it hadn't expelled itself at that point (9w4d) that it wasn't likely to.

I hope that nothing happens over the weekend and that the d&c goes smoothly for you on Monday.

I'm sorry. Take care of yourself. xo

#4 Bwok~Bwok

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

Gab72 - I've asked for the same thing re: testing.

#5 Madalem

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

Hi Bwok....sorry to hear your news.

TMI warning
For my M/C at 5w4d, I bled like a normal AF for about 2 days before the very heavy bleeding for about 4 hours......clots, large blobs of jelly like stuff and what I think was embryo tissue and sack membrane. I basically spent 6 hours on the toilet, and would not have wanted to be out. Cramping wasn't too bad....however I'm sure each time would be different. Was filling a pad each hour, and was thinking of heading to hospital when it seemed to return to a normal AF.  I then bled like AF for another 6 days or so.  

I then had to have an US to ensure that everything had been removed, which it had.

At 9w, yes, I would think that you'd be able to see embryo tissue.   Hopefully nothing happens over the weekend, and best wishes for Monday.  I would suggest that if you do start bleeding, go straight to hospital so that they can get any tissues required for testing.

Look after yourself.....hugs......

#6 namesnamesnames

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

I'm so sorry. It all just sucks.

I've had 5 M/C, all around 8-10wks (including one this past week at 9wks), but have chosen to avoid D&C each time and let things happen by themselves. Mine all started with a day of feeling like crap, then a day of nothing followed by a bit of spotting and a few hours later for heavy bleeding (a pad an hour type thing) and large clots. At 9wks the foetus is still very small and encased, so you aren't likely to see anything, but you will see large clots/tissue type material. Once the majority of clots pass, the bleeding settles down for a few more days before it fades off to nothing, just like a long period. As for cramps, I have found them MUCH worse than AF and have needed painkillers to try and get through them. Your uterus has to shrink back in size just like if you have given birth, but there are none of the 'new mum' hormones to mask the pain.

I have been monitored each time through the hospital midwives to make sure HCGs go back to 0 and that nothing is left. This time around the clots have been coming over a few days, so I'm really hoping it settles down soon so I can avoid a D&C. I don't handle surgery well, so a D&C would be my final solution, and probably also my final attempt at TTC. I can't take much more of this...

#7 Wishing2011

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

I'm sorry you lost your bub :-( last year I lost my bub at 8.5 weeks but it was measuring approx 6 weeks. I began to spot while it was still alive but gradually i began to bleed. And get cramping. When I passed what I think was the baby I remember I had even getting period type cramps but I tried to push through them (I knew at this point I had lost my bub from another US) and I remember getting this heavy low pain that I couldn't work through and I had to crouch down. It got more intense and I ran to the shower to get some hot water on my stomach and just laid there until we ran out of hot water. I think then the bleeding picked up and not long after I laid down I felt a big clot (the length of my thumb!) come out!! I thought that was it but overnight I remember waking up to another clot the same kind of size when I went to the bathroom (no pain that time). The bleeding became really light after that and that was it. Everyone has a different experience though and I am just so sad for you that you have lost your much wanted bubba. Life sucks sometimes and is just not fair. Look after yourself .

#8 Fillyjonk

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:19 AM

I am so very sorry sad.gif

With my first miscarriage, the baby measured 8.5 weeks - so slightly smaller than yours. Mine was a missed mc and they gave me misoprostal to make it happen. Misoprostal has its own effects, and I wont go into those, but when it actually came to miscarrying, it felt like I was pushing out somethingh roughly egg sized. I can only imagine it was the baby and sac but I couldn't look. I had very little bleeding after that but two days later I had another onset of cramping and expelled huge amounts of blood and big chunks of something (placenta?)

I hope you make it to your D&C before it happens but wish you all the love and strength you need to deal with whatever comes your way.

Again, I am so sorry.

#9 Bwok~Bwok

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

misoprostal is what they have given me to insert the morning of the surgery.

No bleeding so far, but I've had cramping, alot of 'pinching' feeling and a constant headache!

#10 Fillyjonk

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

Much love to you. I am sorry you have to go through this - it just isn't fair. But I am sure you know that already.

Be warned that the Misoprostal is not pleasant, at least in my experience. But you can do it.

My love and prayers for you tomorrow.

jen

#11 CoFFeELoVe

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

I'm sorry for the loss of your precious baby.
PP's have described what it can physically feel like, this may be TMI but if you think you may birth your baby and want to keep his/her remains for testing, a colander ( or something similar) placed in the toilet will help safely catch baby.
The reason I suggest this (again sorry if this is distressing) but quite a few women find their baby comes when they are sitting on the toilet ( gravity and all that) and it can be quiet distressing for some women.
Much love to you xx

#12 Fillyjonk

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

I hope everything went okay for you OP. How are you holding up?

Edited by with the goo goose, 14 January 2013 - 09:10 PM.

#13 Bwok~Bwok

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

Yeah I'm doing ok!

I see what everyone was saying about the Misoprostal. I inserted them at 5am and by the time I got to hospital I had cramping and the longer it went the worse they were getting - which wasn't helping me emotionally - so they gave me some Tamazepam. The worst of the cramps really hit me when I walked into the operating theatre - they were truly awful - but thankfully it wasn't long before I was alseep!

I was feeling a bit guilty the day before about having the D&C, but with those cramps, I'm so glad I didn't do it at home - mentally I don't think I would have coped. I also can't believe how emotional I was beforehand. My Little One's heart had stopped beating but still it was soooo hard.

I also had an awful nights sleep last night, kept on jolting awake. The longest stint of sleep I had was an hour and of course the cramps are hitting me today. I want the hospital drugs back  ph34r.gif

About to curl up on the lounge and hopefully get more than an hours sleep! Wish me luck.

#14 Fillyjonk

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

*Big hug*

If it is any consolation, I can relate to everything you describe feeling. After I took misoprostal the first time, I broke down into loud wailing sobs. I am not usually a loud wailing sob kind of person but the finality of it all was just too much. Even though I knew that my baby had stopped living weeks beforehand I still felt that crushing guilt that I was expelling him/her.

Be kind to yourself - hopefully you will start on the road to some healing now that it is all over. Once again, I am so sorry this is happening to you.

#15 hillplain

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

Oh Bwok,

I am so sorry to be ready all of this. Unfortunatly I can relate to all of this. My first loss was at 12 weeks although only measuring 8. The first I knew about it was after spotting over the weekend and then US to confirm no HB. I was sent home with and told to wait and try and get to see DR. I couldn't get in to see a DR and passed a fair portion of it at home on my own which was very distressing. When I finally got to see a DR 3 days later he did a D&C to try and get something for testing due to us being IVF. Nothing showed up though.

With my next cycle we were successful again, however once handed over to GP I pushed for another US at 9 weeks which everyone thought that I was nuts over. I wanted this as I was going to New Zealand with a group of men on a tour for work and wanted to be confident that all was well. On the Friday before I left I went for an US at my home town which is an hour from where I work and my GP and was told that there was no HB. I was told to drive back to my GP. He decided to do a D&C the next day and suggested that I still went to NZ anyway as physically I would be fine. I could not get hold of DH for 6 hours to tell him the news and waited whilst 2 women had their babys in the maternity ward for there to be a bed for me.
When I woke up from the D&C the first thing I asked was how many eggs did they get - this made the nurse cry. Not one of my better moments. I still went to NZ the next day which I found to be good. My DH flew over to spend a few days R&R after the tour which was also nice to grieve with him away from home, farm, drought and animals.

I felt that the first MC that I experienced was one that I needed however was one of the most emotional experiences of my life. The second was not so bad however I knew what to expect and I think that I had remained a little distanced from that cycle anyway.

There is nothing that I can say to make any of this any better for you. I cried a lot for several weeks after often at random times. Just remember that your body is also adjusting and doing some random things to your hormones too before you question your sanity - which is what I did for a while!

Love and hugs to you.

#16 Bwok~Bwok

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

Thanks everyone.

Yesterday wasn't too bad - I only had spotting.

But today, I'm emotionally fragile and *WARNING TMI* I'm passing alot of clots - not big - but I have alot of cramps which makes it a bit distressing as it makes it all a bit more real IYKWIM

Feeling a bit sick and feel like I can't think straight, but I guess that's to do with everything that's happened and the hormones would be all over the place.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.