3 Year old Kindy
Daycare vs kindy

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 lisajane666

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

Hi

I'm looking at putting Mr 2 1/2 into 3 year old kindy and someone suggested putting him in to daycare one day a week where they have a 3 year old program.  It would be hell of a lot cheaper possibly a 1/4 of the price.  Has anyone done this?

TIA

#2 tibs

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:49 PM

No my daughter is starting 3 year old preschool (kinder) this year.  I looked into it and thought the proper preschool had more to offer (qualified teacher, 3 teachers to a class of 20, same kids everyday just like school etc).

#3 Jjbeanz

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:51 PM

Yes and I think it is as good or even better as I was able to be a bit flexible with drop off and pick up times while working

#4 baddmammajamma

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:57 PM

Yes -- I did this with my daughter. She attended a very reputable long day care that had a "kindy" program. We weren't able to get a preschool/kindy spot in Sydney, so this was the best option available.

My son attended a formal kindy (preschool) program affiliated with the primary school my daughter now attends.

Very big difference in programs -- the formal kindy program was far more structured (children arriving and departing at the same time; same children on the given days; far better teacher-child ratio; tighter sense of community).

The upside of the LDC program was, as you can imagine, the cost...as well as the flexibility of hours. However, I do think my son's program was of higher calibre -- even though each respective program had very well trained and highly dedicated staff.

#5 SCARFACE CLAW

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

Around here people put their kids into the private kindergarten because it's cheaper than daycare? Anyway, I don't think one day a week is enough.

#6 lisajane666

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:38 AM

3 year old kindy here is only 2 x 2.5 hour sessions a week that is why I was thinking one day would be enough.  It is really hard to get into a good 3 year old kindy program as there isn't many in the area and they were booked very quickly and have long waiting lists ( we are on a few)

#7 LynnyP

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

I have done both with my daughter.  The long day care with a kindy program run by a teacher and an early learning centre attached to her current private school.  The long day care program was good and I was quite happy with it, however the ELC was miles ahead in quality of program.

#8 AntiBourgeoisie

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

BMJ, sorry to hear of your experience.
Our own has been vastly different. Our LDC has integrated 3 and 4 year old programs which surpass that of almost all the other local kindergartens. They have a kinder teacher on site from 7:30-6, and have a huge variety of structured and unstructured activities through the day.
Like everything, I do think you can't make any generalizations, as each service is unique. And like all things we do as parents, I think you have to assess the downsides and benefits for you as a family. Availability vs quality of program vs need for flexible hours, all in the context of what is available.
We are enormously lucky that one centre meets both our needs for childcare and kinder in quite a fabulous way.

#9 Ruby Gloom

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:49 AM

I have done both options with both of my boys. My eldest went to a 3 year old kindergarten and did fine. At the time I was a SAHM and then pregnant with my second so the preschool hours of 9-3 worked for us.

My second son (now 2.5) started with one day a week at daycare with a view to me going back to work in 2013. He's now there 3 days a week in preparation for that. I chose LDC over preschool because I needed the LDC hours to be able to go back to work. I was concerned about the preschool program once he reached a preschool age so pointedly asked the director about it. She said that they are legally obliged to offer a NSW Dept of Education preschool program. She said the program they do is EXACTLY the same as the community kindergarten's just up the road. People gag to get into this community kindy and will take their children out of the LDC (that offers the same program) to go into it.

I honestly think it comes down to what hours you need, the cost (LDC is cheaper) and the quality of the program offered.

#10 Chchgirl

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

Yes I had to, when my kids (15 and 11) were younger, in my area, there were no preschools....when my 15 year old was little there were no daycares at all within any radius for under 2's!

#11 Holidayromp

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

There is a fundamental difference - Daycare is just that.  Whereas Preschool/Kindy is programmed specifically to ready your child for school.  
If you want a school readiness programme for your child, daycare will not provide it.

#12 AntiBourgeoisie

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:20 AM

QUOTE (Holidayromp @ 12/01/2013, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There is a fundamental difference - Daycare is just that.  Whereas Preschool/Kindy is programmed specifically to ready your child for school.  
If you want a school readiness programme for your child, daycare will not provide it.

That's actually not true.
Some childcares DO provide a structured school readiness program. You have to check to see if they specifically do, but if they do, then it is the same as any kindergarten.
Like all kinder programs, some are 'better' than others. I do not think you can make a blanket statement though that an integrated kinder program is fundamentally inferior to a stand alone one. I think any service should be assessed on its merits.

#13 cheerilee

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

My DD1 went to childcare which had a qualified kinder teacher and program, I was really happy with it. Seeing the children start school with her she was more ready for school than the children who went to Kinder.
Our teacher organised to visit all the schools that any of the children were attending and each of the schools commented on the readiness of the children.
I will be doing the same with DD2.

#14 Julie3Girls

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

It really depends on the individual daycare.

I know our local daycare has a fantastic preschool program. Their school readiness program is great.

It really comes down to looking at the individual kinders and daycare in your areas, what they offer, your own personal circumstances (eg, your income and circumstances affects how much CCB% and if you get the 50% rebate, and can make a huge difference to costs), your family needs (longer, more flexible hours of LDC can make life much easier in some situations)

And then pick what works for you.

#15 ekbaby

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

I think each daycare and preschool will offer slightly different things, and sometimes the differences are more about the particular staff/type of service (community based/govt run/for profit/small business etc), the educational philosophy of the service etc rather than whether it is called a daycare or a preschool.

Perhaps it would be good to think about what you are looking for in a service, what you are hoping your DS will get out of it, and then visit a few services and ask them questions.

ETA: My DS is going to be attending a "preschool" which specifically doesn't call their program a "school readiness program", and that's actually what we are looking for and we are very happy with. That's not to say that they don't do education there, but it's a play-based/child-led/flexible curriculum that's looking at children's needs in the here and now rather than preparing them for school.

Edited by ekbaby, 12 January 2013 - 12:01 PM.

#16 Etcetera

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

It depends on the individual daycare. There are places you could not pay me to send my children. But ours has been great.

We had a place for DS2 but they changes hours and it wasn't doable in the end as we had to gt DS1 to school as well. I love the flexibility of LDC.

#17 lisajane666

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

The 3 Year old Kindy that I can get DS into I'm not sure if it would be much better than just daycare whereas the daycare centre I am thinking of putting him in have won awards for their 3 year old program. The are several reasons I am looking into 3 year old kindy/daycare
1) I work from home and my mum and MIL can no longer have DS one day a fortnight on a regular basis
2) I think DS is going to need something to keep him busy during the year as he is a very active child with a great imagination who is always looking for more. I don't think gymbaroo is going to cut it this year.
3) he usually play mate is off to preschool this year and DS will be the oldest in the group with the rest of the children are in the baby category
4) I think it will be good for him to be in a social environment without me or his nanas and around peers of a singular age
5) was thinking daycare as it is cheaper after the rebates as at $400 a term for 3 year old kindy  is pretty expensive
6) was thinking daycare as DS is not 3 until May so he can start daycare now and they will move him to the 3 year old program as soon as they can
7) also your child has to be fully toilet trained to get into 3 year old kindy otherwise they send you home and DS isn't quite their yet and can't guarantee he will be by May fingers crossed he is
That's all I can think of right now.  Is 3 year old kindy essential to ease I to preschool?

#18 tibs

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

Where I am in Sydney it can be hard to get a 4 year old preschool spot if you didn't already attend as a 3 year old.

#19 SeaPrincess

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

I looked at 3yo kindy for DS2, but it was a morning and an afternoon session which clashed with school drop-off and pick-up respectively.  I was studying, and as a pp has indicated, the flexibility of daycare meant that it made more sense to keep him in daycare with DD.

I actually enrolled DD in 3yo kindy for this year at a different kindy where she would be doing 9.15-2.30, 2 days a week.  However, I am starting a new job and will again need the flexibility of daycare.

#20 BeYOUtiful

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

Great thread but I am a bit confused... In NSW it is pre school then kindergarten isn't it?  My son is a JUly baby so enrolled in to a Ldc /pre school commencing next year, he will be 3.5. Following year will be kindergarten at 4.5, then school at 5.5.  Does that sound about right?

Sorry to crash op original.gif

#21 cinnabubble

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

My younger daughter will do two days of LDC and one day of preschool this year. Honestly, I'd have her at the daycare every day if I could. The preschool looks fine, but nowhere near the quality of daycare.

#22 LynnyP

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

I agree that the quality depends entirely on the program you choose.

NSW is preschool at 3 and 4 and then the first year of five days a week school is called Kindergarten.

#23 SCARFACE CLAW

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

QUOTE (lisajane666 @ 12/01/2013, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
3 year old kindy here is only 2 x 2.5 hour sessions a week that is why I was thinking one day would be enough.  It is really hard to get into a good 3 year old kindy program as there isn't many in the area and they were booked very quickly and have long waiting lists ( we are on a few)

Oh ok, DD had 16 hours a week at 3yo kindy. Next year she'll have 2 full days, but that's because we changed late in the year and couldn't get a program with more days at the new school. Otherwise she'd be there for 4 full days in 4yo.

#24 BeYOUtiful

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

Thanks Lynny.  So I guess I determine at the time whether he is ready for school at 4.5 or wait until 5.5....

#25 Studybug

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

I'm curious, do many people regard 3 yr old kindy/pre school as essential?  What sort of expectations for learning/development do people hold regarding attending 3 yr old kindy as opposed to attending an LDC or family day care? For those enrolling their children in kindy at age 3, do you feel perhaps you're child will be ready for school a little earlier for their age and is that why you're looking for a school readiness program at this stage?

Admittedly, I haven't thought much about DS attending school readiness programs beyond what we'll do next year when he's 4, as here in Qld prep starts at age 5 and is not mandatory.  (DS is about to turn 3 and he's starting in the pre-kindy room on Monday at his LDC).  

To be clear, these are genuine questions original.gif .

Cheers.

Edited by Studybug, 12 January 2013 - 03:57 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.