Ideas for travel Christmas 2013
Just us. Family of 4.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Coffeegirl

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

Ok. After another fraught and emotional Christmas in 2012, DH and I have decided that we want to go away for Christmas 2013.

So, please hit me with ideas.  Preferably not USA/Canada or Australia based.

Would prefer to hear from those that have or do spend Chrissy away from your extended family.  What do you do on Christmas Day,how do you deal with ,presents etc?  

Our only Christmas away was with my parents back in Canada when the kids were little.DS was on,y 3 and he's 8 now. Presents were a nightmare as my parents went overboard.

Kids will be 13 and 9.  Neither believe in Santa.  

#2 Jjbeanz

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:29 PM

A cruise original.gif

#3 Nanaimo Girl

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

I like the idea of a cruise.

#4 qak

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:07 AM

I like the ideas of a cruise too!
As to presents, we went away this Christmas and we had all the presents jammed into our suitcase, while all the clothes were in the other, kids', suitcase.  You need to think about this when shopping for presents, make sure you buy small things!

#5 seaside_feral

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:11 AM

If you don't mind having a winter Christmas, head to Germany and visit the Christmas markets - just magical.

#6 MuddlePuddle

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:15 AM

We've rented a house in Fiji for Christmas 2013. We've all agreed no pressies for adults. Just small stuff for kids (ranging in age from 14-1). No decorating, no cooking, no cleaning up. We have housemaids to do that for us. Can't wait!

#7 JBH

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:23 AM

I second Germany. Go before Christmas as it's the lead up that's so special. Christmas markets, mulled wine, outdoor ice skating... It's a bit hard to find anything to do on the day itself though.

If you don't mind staying in Australia, I've heard they do Christmas well at the column palmer resort. Santa comes, there's a great lunch and activities if you're up for it.

#8 Coffeegirl

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

Thanks for the replies. The idea of a cruise is good, bit I get seasick   sick.gif

Hmmm. Maybe a villa in Fiji or Bali.  Housemaids, no cooking or cleaning.  Sounds like a holiday for me original.gif

Europe woud be nice, but we are planning on a large trip there in a few more years.

Anyone done Japan in Dec?

#9 goody2shoes

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

We were going to do a White Christmas in Europe - but have changed our mind to Japan!!!

Just starting to do the research now.

#10 ~benita~

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

We are thinking Hawaii...

#11 KNL909

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

DD and I are heading to Hawaii - can't wait  biggrin.gif

#12 paod

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

For the past 2 yrs DH and I have run away to bali for Christmas and we LOVE it.  We actually boycott Xmas all together but maybe you could do a Kris Kringal for the kids and remember it needs to be a holiday for mum too so a villa with staff might be perfect.
We won't go to Bali again as it is a bit overkill so we are looking at Fiji, Hawaii or Vanuatu
Enjoy!

#13 marnie27

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

The Christmas before DS was born we "ran away" to a hotel in the city about 20 minutes away. We told everyone we were staying at a friend's holiday house 4 hours away. Just needed a breather from the family politics. Now we have small children and everything is settled down on the extended family front, I love Christmas with everyone, but god that Christmas was lovely.

We went with another couple who'd also "run away" and we went out for Christmas Eve cocktails, slept in late, opened a few presents, big catered lunch, Nanna naps, read books, playing board games, looked at the lights and decorations in the city and enjoyed ourselves. Best part was we got late checkout and arrived home 20 minutes after we left the hotel, no traffic or hassle.

#14 mrsjane

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

I think going away for christmas would be a fantastic idea. Too many relatives around can be quite frazzling and very dramatic at times. I too had a very intense 2012. Eps since i am expecting, I get more cranky.

The thought of germany is nice and but i would prefer a much more tropical spa resort where i could just laze around.  Wego Australia has some cool ideas for hotel stays, i usually use them to do my research.This year I want to go somewhere fun and relaxing but as I am due in september that may be a bit hard to achieve. hope you gals have a great holiday!

#15 2anewme

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

We are heading to Hawaii straight after christmas, so whilst it doesnt' get us out of our Christmas responsibilities, it will stop me spending so much money prior to christmas so I can shop up a storm in Hawaii!

That, and we won't have every man and his dog showing up just because they are on holidays and have nothing else to do!

#16 Apageintime

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

I've done it a couple of times, Dh and I have been to Singapore and Japan over Christmas and last year I went to Paris.

All of them have been fantastic, but Paris was by far the most spectacular.

#17 9ferals

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

We spent last Christmas in Singapore and had a great time - generally I work on one Christmas at home, one away.
We just made sure to see my dad before Christmas, as he is the one who would miss us the most.

My best advice is to book as early as you can - we booked only a few weeks before Christmas and flights and hotels were super expensive.

#18 carls888

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:03 AM

we are starting to do this too. This year we are either going to Thailand or Europe. Not sure yet. But I announced to my family that this would be the last year I catered for Christmas and we would be in a hotel somewhere from now on if they wanted to meet up, or not.
God it was liberating.
Our children are still small so the man in the suit will still come wherever we are. If we are in Thailand I am going to organise a pastry chef from the hotel to do some Christmas baking with the children to get them in the mood, if we are in Europe there will be so much to do I wont worry.
I would also love to visit lapland and think 2014 will be the year for that.

C

#19 Sash

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

We have booked a Royal Caribbean cruise that is cruising 18-27 December  wink.gif
Can't wait!

I am thinking of having a traditional xmas lunch the weekend before, with our family, and treating it like christmas day.
And I will be taking a few small presents on board for the kids for xmas morning, however they will mainly be getting cash.

It will be great to do something different for christmas this year, and be totally looked after rather than looking after everyone else  biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.