Lance Armstrong & Oprah
What a joke!!

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 B.feral3

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cycling/lance-...0109-2cfi5.html

I know this is the news section but I have to vent.

So the word is going round is that Lance Armstrong is going to confess that he is a drug cheap on Oprah. This is nothing but a very calculated business decision in my opinion. A few years from now when he has spun this in such a way that instead of shame he gains public sympathy, using the cancer victim angle as an excuse, he'll be back on the public speaking circuit making more money than ever.

I've seen him speak at a work conference. He spent the entire hour and a half telling us how he was an innocent and honest man fallen victim to a witch hunt.  mad.gif

Oh, and he's not taking a fee from Oprah. How honourable.  rolleyes.gif

Pass me a bucket.

Hang your head in shame Lance Armstrong. You have made a mockery of yourself, your sport and your country.

#2 ~Supernova~

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

If he needs to hang his head in shame, then so does almost all of the cycling community. I still like him *meh*

#3 PixieVee

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

I hope he has the ball to own up.

#4 purplekitty

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

Perhaps there's another book deal on offer.

He's a disgrace.

#5 BadCat

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE (PixieVee @ 11/01/2013, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

roll2.gif

#6 Drowningnotwaving

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE (PixieVee @ 11/01/2013, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lol.

I think he will cry.

#7 Bart.

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

I agree.  He'll be touring after this with the message of, "Don't do what I did, kids!"

#8 B.feral3

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE (Bartholomew @ 11/01/2013, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree.  He'll be touring after this with the message of, "Don't do what I did, kids!"

Exactly.

#9 (feral)epg

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

I might wait to see what he says before judging it!

#10 purplekitty

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

QUOTE (epg @ 11/01/2013, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I might wait to see what he says before judging it!
I don't see how he can put a positive spin on years of deceit.

#11 Turn left

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

If he needs to hang his head in shame, then so does almost all of the cycling community.

Anyone who knows anything about cycling, and has been into the sport for a long while, knows there is a strong history of drug abuse amongst nearly all of the elite cyclists, very few are innocent.  It's been part of the culture behind the sports elite during the last century, and many Tour De France cyclists and other elite cyclists have been caught cheating- many haven't that should have been.  

Lance Armstrong is most likely not innocent.  But neither are most others.

#12 B.feral3

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE (Turn left @ 11/01/2013, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lance Armstrong is most likely not innocent.  But neither are most others.

Other cyclists have confessed though, and they were not the winners either, or doing the motivational speaking circuit. They are not accused of bullying or intimidation tactics and bribery and so much more.

#13 Bart.

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

My husband called him a drug cheat years ago and I laughed it off saying that it'd have to be a system-wide cover up and surely not that many people would be in on it. blink.gif

#14 greengoddess

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

Gawd, you're carrying on like he stomped on your kitten.

Are you honestly so naive as to believe that even the "innocent" athletes don't take massive amounts of various substances (legal and/or illegal). It's the nature of performance sport. The sooner we accept that drug-taking in sport is no more immoral than every other thing an athlete does to get ahead, the better. Just because some organisation draws up an ever-changing, arbitrary list of drugs to demonise does not mean that the athletes who take them are "fallen". It's such a flawed concept and one that is based on a presumption that without all these "evil" drugs, all the athletes would have the same chance. Simple fact of the matter is that they don't. Athletes are not equal; they do not have equal access to facilities, funding, coaching, opportunities, sports scientific advice and so on - why should the substances they take make any difference in a system that is predicated on inequality? It should make no more difference than the shoes they wear or what they had for breakfast.

100 years ago, professional coaching was as demonised as drugs are today. Immoral! Cheating! Unfair! Against the spirit of sport!

Soon enough, we'll have a new evil to get hysterial about.

Regardless of formal titles or not, Lance Armstrong still beat all those other competitors. He was still the best seven times over and every other cyclist knows it.

#15 B.feral3

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

Sorry PP, you lost me at 'naive'.

Edited by Bek+3, 11 January 2013 - 08:37 PM.

#16 purplekitty

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (greengoddess @ 11/01/2013, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Regardless of formal titles or not, Lance Armstrong still beat all those other competitors. He was still the best seven times over and every other cyclist knows it.
Yep,you've convinced me.
I'm off to tell my children that cheating if perfectly fine ,even admirable,as long as everybody else is cheating as well.Just be the best cheater and liar you can be.

Taking performance enhancing drugs is also great,don't worry about the side effects,in the pursuit of winning a sporting event.

#17 Cat People

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

QUOTE (greengoddess @ 11/01/2013, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
100 years ago, professional coaching was as demonised as drugs are today. Immoral! Cheating! Unfair! Against the spirit of sport!

Soon enough, we'll have a new evil to get hysterial about.

So what are you suggesting?  That we should let them take drugs?  Where does it end?  I could hobble a few contestants, and then I'd beat all those other competitors too wouldn't I?  Professional coaching yesterday, drugs today, hobbling tomorrow.  Sounds good.

#18 PixieVee

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

I'm going to enter the Tour de France next year, but I'll be using  chopper.

#19 Propaganda

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

I honestly have no idea why it's such a big deal.

Some guy who rides bikes for a living did so on drugs. It's hardly the end of the world.

I understand it's unfair on competitors who performed without assistance from drugs, but his cheating is hardly as devastating as people make out.

#20 myhandfull

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

Ok, take an average cyclist,  give him the same drugs and watch Lance Armstrong kick their a*se! Regardless of drugs,  that guy has talent. You won't change my mind either.  

I'm with the other PP's. Would still be an amazing man to meet. He won 7 times. I give him credit for his dedication to the sport. It's sad that he needed drugs for recovery etc, but I too think it would be naive to think that most others are not doing the same :-(

#21 purplekitty

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE (Propaganda @ 11/01/2013, 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I understand it's unfair on competitors who performed without assistance from drugs, but his cheating is hardly as devastating as people make out.
To many cancer sufferers who looked at him and saw his recovery from cancer, maybe it was devastating to learn it was achieved with the illegal and dangerous use of drugs and not naturally achieved.
Remember his influence went way beyond the sport of cycling.

#22 Cat People

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE (myhandfull @ 11/01/2013, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's sad that he needed drugs for recovery etc,

etc?  

For CHEATING.  Not "etc".

How can anyone defend him?  It's not just the cheating, it's the denial, the lies, and bringing others into it.  He's not just a drug cheat, but a drug pusher.

But that's ok, because... he won a few trophies?

#23 greengoddess

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE (purplekitty @ 11/01/2013, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yep,you've convinced me.
I'm off to tell my children that cheating if perfectly fine ,even admirable,as long as everybody else is cheating as well.Just be the best cheater and liar you can be.

Taking performance enhancing drugs is also great,don't worry about the side effects,in the pursuit of winning a sporting event.

What is cheating? To act unfairly? Why are drugs unfair? Why is it NOT unfair that someone else has a better bike? Or better nutrition? Or doesn't have to work a full time job on top of training? Sport is completely and thoroughly unfair.... so why is it only drugs that we get so upset about? Why not many of the other inequalities? This is what I don't understand. We waste time and tremendous resources controlling and regulating the bodies of athletes - for what? What do we gain? Why is the world a better place knowing that Lance Armstrong was CAUGHT!!! Why is his achievement any less impressive because he took a drug to keep his body from falling apart? Maybe we need to look at the unrealistic demands being placed on athletes' bodies and change the sport so that these drugs are no longer needed.

And secondly, what side effects? And if we're SO CONCERNED about the health of the athletes, then surely regulation by a medical professional is more desirable than clandestine drug taking? The drugs they are taking are drugs that people take every single day of their lives for various reasons, with no side effects. I've known body builders who have cycled on and off the most extreme concoctions of steriods etc and what side effects have there been? None. Other than their muscles getting bigger, which is less a side effect and more the desired outcome. There is very little scientific evidence - only anecdotal evidence - that confirms all these TERRIBLE SIDE EFFECTS.

But sure, carry on with the hysterical "I'll tell my kids it's OK to cheat" if that's what helps you sleep at night. It's pretty hard to rid oneself from the massive amounts of propaganda that present the issue in such a one-sided way.

For me, I could care less what people take. Take drugs, don't take drugs - whatever. But I wish people could step outside the witch hunt long enough to see that the sky isn't falling in, this isn't the downfall of sport (or society!) and there are plenty of other (real) inequalities that are much more worthy of our time and attention.

#24 greengoddess

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:27 PM

QUOTE (purplekitty @ 11/01/2013, 10:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To many cancer sufferers who looked at him and saw his recovery from cancer, maybe it was devastating to learn it was achieved with the illegal and dangerous use of drugs and not naturally achieved.
Remember his influence went way beyond the sport of cycling.

But cancer sufferers don't just sit there and "naturally" achieve health - they take chemicals, pretty bloody strong ones at that, to help recover and improve their bodies. Would they feel treated that he had chemo to overcome cancer? Then why would they, in particular, feel cheated that he took drugs in other areas of his life. This doesn't make sense.

Your post gets to the heart of the question though - why do we think that sport is "natural". If it was natural, then athletes wouldn't have a special diet, wouldn't use sports science to improve, wouldn't train, wouldn't need better and better equipment. Any old fool could get up off the couch and compete - surely that is the most natural of all!

Let's be clear - elite, performance sport is as far away from "natural" as you can possible get. It's not the same activity as what kids participate in; it's a whole world away.

#25 purplekitty

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (greengoddess @ 11/01/2013, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And secondly, what side effects? And if we're SO CONCERNED about the health of the athletes, then surely regulation by a medical professional is more desirable than clandestine drug taking? The drugs they are taking are drugs that people take every single day of their lives for various reasons, with no side effects. I've known body builders who have cycled on and off the most extreme concoctions of steriods etc and what side effects have there been? None. Other than their muscles getting bigger, which is less a side effect and more the desired outcome. There is very little scientific evidence - only anecdotal evidence - that confirms all these TERRIBLE SIDE EFFECTS.

But sure, carry on with the hysterical "I'll tell my kids it's OK to cheat" if that's what helps you sleep at night. It's pretty hard to rid oneself from the massive amounts of propaganda that present the issue in such a one-sided way.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/performan...g-drugs/HQ01105

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.