WWYD?
High ropes course?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 FiFo

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

Hi All,
It is my DH's bday in 3 weeks and he has asked for an 'experience gift'. IE he wants to go out a do something which is great and something we have done lots in the past. My first thought and something I know he would love is to go to this high ropes/treetop adventure park in our town. Neither of us have done it before but it looks like such fun.

On his birthday I will be about 9 weeks pg. The website for the course says 'not recommended for pregnant women'. But I'm curious would you do it? Is this just a blanket recommendation to cover themselves. We are very fit and very active but obviously I don't want to do anything to harm the baby. The course caters for kids from 3 years so its obviously not all really intense and you are always in a harness so really safe.

Please let me know your thoughts. Also, if you can think of any other activities I can give DH that I can do safely...i'm all ears

#2 againagain

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

At the risk of being shot down on here - I would do it. The baby is so tiny and nestled in the pelvis, you would have to do something seriously bad to damage the baby! Of course I would only do something intense and physically demanding if you are USED to doing a high level of exercise, which it sounds like you are.

I suppose the only thing thing I would bear in mind is the extra stretchy ligaments in pregnancy - it *may* be easy to do yourself an injury.

#3 Tesseract

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

If a 3 year old can do it, then I would do it at 9 weeks pregnant.

#4 kristylee21

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

I used to work at a treetop park. There are different courses, an adult and child won't be on the same course. As soon as I found out I was pregnant the doc told me I could no longer wear my harness and do my normal job of helping people on the course. I was put on office/ helping people get into their harnesses duty. Personally I wouldn't do it as where a harness digs in when supporting your weight it right over ur uterus

ETA: that the harness is used to support you while going across a flying fox. Your legs will take most of the pressure but it can ride up and put pressure on ur stomach

Edited by kristylee21, 11 January 2013 - 01:49 PM.

#5 ell80

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

When I was pregnant with DD, I climbed at an indoor climbing gym 1-2 weekly. (This is with a harness, but in a normal climb it shouldn't put much pressure on your belly - it's for safety in case of a fall only.) My GP said it was ok until about 12 weeks when you start to pop-out, and after that I shouldn't anymore.  This is because if I fell then the harness will put pressure on your belly (the actual climbing was not the problem)
She was a GP, not an OB.

#6 sleepyerin

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

I think it's really your call. If you have any dizziness or issues with low blood pressure, it might not be a great idea, but otherwise, if you feel comfortable, you'll probably be fine. It might be better to reassess closer to the day, just in case how you feel changes.

I wouldn't do it, but that's because I have low bp and am super uncoordinated!

ETA: If you do need to wear a harness, then I would check with your dr if it's ok.

Edited by sleepyerin, 11 January 2013 - 02:14 PM.

#7 T_Baby

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

It's totally up to you whatever you are comfortable with - although a friend advised me to make choices that wouldn't make me feel guilty *if* something bad happeend.

But I'm the type of person who wants to wrap myself up in cotton wool for the next 8 months *just in case*!

Edited by T_Baby, 11 January 2013 - 01:54 PM.

#8 Choufleur

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

If you're pretty fit you're provably ok. I'd be more worried about feeling queasy.

#9 WithSprinkles

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

If it were me, no. But I'm a worrier who does everything by the book.

#10 ~sydblue~

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

QUOTE (Tesseract @ 11/01/2013, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If a 3 year old can do it, then I would do it at 9 weeks pregnant.

If it is the same sort of place DD13 went to, the younger ones have a very different course. The adults and those over a certain age have a much higher more intense course.
DD is not a chicken and is very sporty, and even she said she wouldn't attempt the really high one. So no, if 9wks pregnant I would not do it.

#11 sweetmango

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

Not sure where you live but if you are close enoughtiger is the sydney Harbour bridge climb or what about going up in a hot air balloon or a mystery flight?

Edited by takingitback, 11 January 2013 - 08:05 PM.

#12 Lada5574

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:01 AM

I'm in Europe at the moment with DH, and we have skiing in switzerland for 3 days booked next week - ill be 6 and a half weeks by then. thoughts?.....

#13 jcw21

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE (Lada5574 @ 12/01/2013, 06:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm in Europe at the moment with DH, and we have skiing in switzerland for 3 days booked next week - ill be 6 and a half weeks by then. thoughts?.....

I would ski, you have plenty of padding with lots of clothing on and if you fall over its more likely to be your legs or arms that you fall on, don't push yourself too hard though if you haven't done it before it can be quite exhausting plus be careful of getting light headed at higher altitudes :-) Most of all though enjoy it, its an amazing experience

#14 sleepyerin

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

Lada - Last pregnancy my OB said that skiing was fine, it was falling and crashing that was a problem. That said, I didn't ski that year, mainly because by the time it was ski season, I was huge! And had osteitis pubis/SPD.

If you feel ok, then go for it, just be wary of obstacles and the issues others have already mentioned and don't push yourself too much - relaxin may already be having an impact on you, in which case you joints and ligaments will be less stable.

Don't be afraid to have a rest and enjoy hot chocolate or equivalent by a nice fire original.gif

Most of all - enjoy being on a lovely trip! And in such beautiful places!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Australia's top baby names of 2013

Essential Baby has compiled the data available from government records around the country to bring you the list of Australia's top baby names of 2013.

Sara James: fighting for my daughter

Sara James was a high-profile New York journalist, but it was her own daughter's story which raised the most questions.

Siblings and best of friends

I know we'll have some tense moments. I know there will be arguments. But I also know these two will always have this most beautiful bond.

In defence of mums on the phone

I know news stories always attract a range of opinions, and I know they're a place for people to have an anonymous dig in. However, I also know that this mum bashing has to stop.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Pregnancy essentials for the second and third trimesters

So you're through the first trimester of pregnancy - congratulations! Here are some tips for getting through the next six months as comfortably and happily as possible.

Coles Easter eggs recalled due to presence of tree nuts

An allergic reaction has lead to the urgent recall of a variety of Coles brand Easter eggs.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Why I love the small age gap between my kids

Six months after our son turned one, we welcomed son number two into our lives. Yes, the small age gap had been planned - and there are things I love and hate about that small gap.

Parents warned about posting kids' photos online

Parents could be putting their kids at risk by posting images and information online which give away personal details, such as where they go to school and which parks they frequent.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Mum's the word when it comes to baby news

The arrival of a baby is big news, but friends and family need to understand it is not their news to share.

What?s in your parenting toolbox?

So often as parents, we don?t really talk about our ?parenting toolboxes?. But you need to be aware of what you and your partner are working with, and to decide what does and doesn't fit in your lives.

Classroom pregnancy prank goes viral

An American college professor has had to rethink his strict rule about answering cell phones in class after being the victim of an April Fools' prank that has gone viral.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Australia's top baby names of 2013

Essential Baby has compiled the data available from government records around the country to bring you the list of Australia's top baby names of 2013.

Video: Dad turns son into action movie hero

Many kids would love to be an action movie hero in real life, but very few will ever be able to see themselves in movies like these.

Toilet training in winter

There?s no need to stop thinking about toilet training just because the temperature is dropping: winter is a good a time as any to start the process.

What do you do all day?

It's the question all new mothers dread. For Kate Fridkis, it's a question that strikes to the heart of what it is to be a woman.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Video: Baby starts his day with a dance party

Few people start their day the same way this little guy does ? dancing, smiling, and generally having an awesome time.

IKEA announces bed canopy recall

IKEA has recalled its range of bed canopies designed to suspend above children?s beds following reported cases of injuries and entanglement.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.