I am so ashamed to admit this
How long to cook boiled egg.

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Sassenach2

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

I am so ashamed to admit this, as I have been cooking for years, but how long for a soft boiled egg with soldiers, after it has come to the boil. I haven't cooked one since my kids grew up! unsure.gif

#2 Nepheline

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

YUM, I love egg and soldiers. I do large eggs, place in cold water, bring to a gentle boil. At FIRST sight of bubbles in the water, set timer for 3 minutes. Enjoy!

Disclaimer: I can be a bit hit and miss with getting the perfectly cooked egg, so hopefully someone will come along with a fool proof method.

#3 ~Nasty_Jodama~

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

7 to 10 minutes. Depending if you want it soft or hard boiled.

BTW I dont boil my water first just hot tap water and put them in.

Edited by kriattica, 11 January 2013 - 10:31 AM.

#4 Pull Up A Beanbag

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

stalking this thread, because the last 3 times I've tried to do toast and soldiers, i've undercooked the egg and burnt the toast ddoh.gif

#5 Nepheline

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE (kriattica @ 11/01/2013, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
7 to 10 minutes. Depending if you want it soft or hard boiled.

7 minutes!!! I've done them for 3mins 30 secs before and they've had solid yolks? Confusing business. I do 6 minutes for a hard boiled egg!

#6 FiveAus

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

My method is to place the eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to boil, turn heat off, cover saucepan and leave to sit in water for 4 mins for soft boiled and 9 mins for hard.

#7 PatG

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

I do hard boiled like this:  boil water, add cold egg/s from fridge, boil for 10 minutes, take out and run under cold water for a while, leave in bowl of cold water with ice.  This if for things like salads etc.  If you want to eat your hardboiled egg hot, I think that 9 minutes should do it as it will cook a bit more after you take it out of the water.  Haven't perfected solf boiled yet!

#8 noi'mnot

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

Put the eggs in cold water, time exactly three minutes from when the water starts to boil and turn off.

Dip into the deliciousness. There are very few things in this world that are better than a soft boiled egg with buttery soldiers! original.gif

#9 PrincessPeach

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

Depending upon the size of the eggs, from the point at when the water starts to boil, it's 3 minutes.

Then take them out & run them under cold water to stop the cooking process.

#10 *LucyE*

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

My method is to place the eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to boil, turn heat off, cover saucepan and leave to sit in water for 4 mins for soft boiled and 9 mins for hard.

That's sort of what I do too. The coddling gives more flexibility than direct heat cooking.

Google Delia Smith for the perfect boiled egg instructions.

#11 harryhoo

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

Three minutes from the boil for soft yolks... perfect for soldier-dipping! I do seven for hard boiled for salads/sandwhiches etc

#12 steppy

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

QUOTE (PrincessPeach @ 11/01/2013, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Depending upon the size of the eggs, from the point at when the water starts to boil, it's 3 minutes.

Exactly this. 5 mins if you want them to be hard, 3 for soft.

#13 Bluenomi

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

Put eggs in egg machine, turn on and take out when it buzzes  ph34r.gif

#14 MintyBiscuit

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

Get one of these. Perfect every time

#15 blackcat20

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

I have to google it every time I want to boil an egg...I obviously dont do it very often.

#16 Cranky Kitten

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

Heston recommends the "bring to the boil, switch off and time 5-6 minutes" method.

Works every time. Except when you get DH to do it, because his idea of bringing to the boil is to wait until the eggs are bouncing around the pot rather than just gently bubbling.

Damn, now I want soft boiled eggs. And I can't have them *shakes fist*

#17 Natttmumm

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

Start with cold water, add cold eggs, turnon the heat and as soon as water starts to boil take it off the stove and leave eggs on the water for 6 minutes.
Should be soft boiled but not under cooked

#18 Sassenach2

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

Thanks girls, it is all coming back to me now. bbighug.gif

#19 muggins_00

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

QUOTE (FiveAus @ 11/01/2013, 11:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do the same as this.

#20 hoohoobump

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

QUOTE (PrincessPeach @ 11/01/2013, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We do this - works every time. Think it was a tip on Masterchef or something.

#21 Z-girls rock

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

get yourself one of these egg perfect egg timer:
http://ergonomics.about.com/od/buyingguide...egg_perfect.htm

you pop it in the water with your eggs and it changes colour as the eggs cook soft to medium to hard.

it is great!

#22 Giota

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

I cook different eggs different time for soft dipping eggs.
These times are all based on boiling water.

Small room temp egg = 3min
Small fridge temp egg = 3.5min
Large room temp =3.5
Large Fridge Temp = 4min

#23 *LucyE*

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

Damn, now I want soft boiled eggs. And I can't have them *shakes fist*

I discovered after having my last child, that slow cooking eggs not only kills salmonella but also results in a perfect soft boiled/poached egg.

The egg is slowly cooked at about 62.5-64.5C for an hour in its shell. Then you crack open the shell for a perfectly cooked egg with firm but not rubbery whites and a soft gooey yolk.

The theory is that above around 65C the yolk starts to harden. Salmonella can be killed by a short burst of hot temperature or a long exposure to lower temperatures (it needs to be over 60c). Generally, a hard boiled egg will reach over 75C inside.

#24 Funwith3

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

Did them the other night... 3 minutes is what the internet says for soft boiled. I checked it at 3 minutes and the egg white was still a little bit clear so I popped them on for another half a minute. So I would say 3-4 minutes at the very most for soft boiled.

#25 livvie7586

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE (HollyOllyOxenfree @ 11/01/2013, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Get one of these. Perfect every time

something like this, but mine whistles (3 different tunes, so soft, medium and hard boiled).  i don't even need to be in the kitchen to know where my eggs are up to

this one, actually

http://www.kitchencontraptions.com/pictures/p2297_main.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

At 61, Shammi finally became a mum - then came the criticism

A 61-year-old woman has reignited debate around motherhood and when women are deemed "too old" to become mums after giving birth to a daughter seven months ago.

One mum's secret Mother's Day tradition after adopting her sons

Mother's Day is a time to celebrate all mums, and this mother has found a way to celebrate and appreciate her adopted sons' birth mothers each year.

5 things my wife needs to know before we have a third baby

My wife and I are just about to commit to a family of three children.

Is this the exercise of every tired parent's dream?

When you're a sleep-deprived parent, chances are you'll do almost anything for sweet, sweet, slumber. Would you pay for a nap, however?

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

Midwife fined $11,000 after having affair with dad-to-be

A midwife has been censured and ordered to pay $11,400 after admitting to having an affair with a client's husband.

Why should kids have all the sticker fun?

Stickers are a great little reward when kids have done something useful to encourage them to do it again.

Is this the cutest haka you've ever seen?

It is a war dance that people everywhere are familiar with, but this version of the Haka is one of the cutest you will ever see.

Groundbreaking surgery helps triplets born with rare condition

This little trio were world firsts twice in their first 9 weeks of life.

'I'd hate to see this happen to anyone else': mum's plea

Carly and Nathan Long are trying to raise awareness to save other parents going through the anguish they went through.

The smart phone game encouraging women to 'squeeeeze'

It's like Candy Crush for your pelvic floor. Hopefully, it will be just as addictive.

Why setting your alarm for 5.30am every day could be good for you

There's no doubt that Ashley French adores her children.

Watch the most important golf shot of this dad-to-be's life

Remember when parents used to be boring and just say, "It's a boy!" or "It's a girl!" – as regular spoken words coming out of their mouths?

This newborn knows what he wants - and gets it

The astonished parents of a newborn whose 18-day-old bub is already feeding himself, shared a clip of their little one's feat to YouTube - and it's truly incredible viewing.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.