Clexane injection advice please
Injecting a child

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 lishermide

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

I hope this is OK here, I though it might be a good place to catch the experience of EB'ers original.gif

DD13 is having to have daily Clexane injections for the next 6 weeks due to being immobilized in broomstick casts. She has Factor V Leiden, so docs are worried about the potential for blood clots.

She's become a bit of an expert at needles lately, but had the first Clexane shot in hospital yesterday and cried at the pain. She's terrified at the thought of the next one, let alone 6 weeks of them. I know there would be lots of experienced clexane users here on EB, so thought I might tap into that.

I've thought of EMLA cream, though have been told by some that it really only helps where the needle goes in, not with the deeper pain/burning. Ay experience there?

Injection site tips? She is very slim, so hard to find anywhere with fat lol.

Has anyone else had to deal with this for a child?

#2 Excentrique Feral

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

Might have been a one of thing that it hurt so much? I've given quite a few, most patients don't even wince despite the fact I'm a student biggrin.gif

Don't rub the injection site. It will bruise and be a lot more painful. Rotate where you give the needle each day. If she is skinny, you will need to pinch the skin to give it, or give it at an angle. I prefer to pinch the skin.

See how she goes with the next one.

#3 Bluemakede

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:13 AM

I have no advice for the pain, but injections should be abdomen, lower, stay away from the belly button though. I've also given them many times in the outer thigh (it was policy on a ward I was on), though I'd check with the dr if you decided to inject there.

Pinch the skin up to give more fatty tissue and slowly release. And don't alco swab before hand (not sure if you are or not, but clexane becomes more painful if you wipe as it removes the oil from the needle).

Hopefully someone will have better tips for you to deal with the pain.

#4 lishermide

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:16 AM

She'd already had 4 needles without a whimper earlier in the day. I don't doubt it hurt. From what I've read and been told she's absolutely not alone in finding it very painful.

Her skin was pinched. It went in slowly.

Pinched skin at an angle?

#5 lishermide

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

Bluemakede, they did alcohol swab first. So that could have been part of the problem. Thanks.

#6 kwiggle

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

I agree with your daughter - they always hurt me!  Both DH and I have had to have it at various times and he calls me Dr Dracula when I give it to him too slowly, so a medium pace for the injection is my tip.  EMLA might help a little, but probably won't take away the sting.  She might feel better using it though, sometimes the placebo effect is very valuable!

#7 Therese

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

A few years ago my youngest had to have clexane after getting a DVT.  She has some other big medical issues so the Dr's and nurses were intent on making this as painfree as possible as she needs lot of other interventions.

We were told that it does hurt.

We ended up using a different needle than the one on the clexane. A thinner needle which meant we needed to draw it up differently every day but it was supposed to make it less painful.

And no alcohol swabs either as that makes it sting.

EMLA is a tricky one. It takes an hour to numb the site which can just add to the fear as she is waiting for the needle if that makes sense.

Good luck, I hope it all goes well.

#8 Satay Chicken

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:25 AM

I've done about 70 Clexane injections during my time TTC so a bit of experience  wink.gif

I personally found having a hot shower, then straight after sitting on the loo so I could see what I was doing and be able to grab some fat (although I would have alot more than your daughter), insert the syringe on a 45 degree angle with the sharpest point going into the skin first.  Doing it this way I never really had any pain and no bruzing. I think the skin is softer and more subtle after being damp and warm.

All the very best, I know its pretty tough...

#9 elmo_mum

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

i had clexane daily for 7weeks, most times it didnt hurt

the nurses "pinched" the skin - and just quickly did it!

hugs to your daughter

#10 lishermide

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

Just a bit of experience Satay Chicken wink.gif I just knew EB would be the right place to ask.

We're not up to trying showers yet. Double casts with bar across, plaster can't get wet. Sponge baths only here until we get a bit better at maneuvering. These casts are so heavy!

Thanks Therese, sorry you've been through this with your child too.

#11 Mini_feral

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:34 AM

I've got nothing helpful to add but just wanted to express my sympathies for your family! I had to google what a broomstick cast is..... your poor daughter! Does she have to have it on for long?

#12 NFT

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

I've been on clexane for months at a time, and also injected it hundreds of times. The needle does seem to be a little harder to insert than others. I found it hurt less if you "darted" it into taut skin quite quickly, then use your index finger to tap the medication in at a medium pace. Emla did help (it may have been psychological).

#13 Wishing2011

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

I have to take Clexane daily. I pinch my skin and push the needle in (that doesnt hurt much). it is the medication that stings afterwards. I inject it slowly while slowly releasing the skin. Some days it stings some days it doesnt. I don't rub it. I usually just get up and walk around afterwards.

#14 kez71

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

i have taken clexane daily for the last 28 weeks and will continue until 6 weeks after baby is born, also due to factor V Leiden. I use a cube of ice to numb the spot before injecting straight down 90 degrees. Mine are done around my belly. sometimes they sting a bit, sometimes i feel nothing. sometimes they bleed and bruise, but mostly its nothing at all.

A friend did one for me the other night and put it in at an angle and it was the most painful one ive ever had, so i recommend straight in, no angle.

#15 Wishing2011

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

yeh me too. I tried once on an angle and it was the most painful one I injected too

#16 megalula

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

I've done a lot of these too. My advice is really different. I watched a youtube video that advised icing afterwards and that really helped. Also I would go in really slowly and come out really slowly as at the same time as releasing the pinch on the skin. Never a bruise!

But maybe try my approach as a last resort? It seems I am going quite against the grain!

#17 lishermide

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

Minimae, she's in it for 6 weeks for now. Casts come off late February.

For anyone interested in the story....she has Avascular Necrosis of the Hip, meaning the hip lost blood supply at some point, and the bone in the ball of her hip has died and is breaking down. Possibly because of her all-consuming gymnastics, but also possible it just happened for no good reason at all. We are working madly at stopping the breakdown and rebuilding the bone before she finishes growing. It's very similar to Perthes Disease in children.

She has been non weight bearing on crutches for over 8 months. She had surgery in July called a Core Decompression where they drilled holes up through the femur into the middle of her femoral heap (ball) and injected Stem Cells, aimed at stopping the breakdown and re-establishing growth. She also goes for regular treatment by infusion to help her lay down new bone.

The last MRI showed lots of fluid and inflammation around the joint, causing the ball to be pushed out of the socket somewhat. Cue steroid injection and casts yesterday to help reduce the fluid and re-contain the hip in the socket.

The good news is that the arthrogram yesterday showed no further breakdown from the previous MRI at this stage, so we are really cheering to have some good news original.gif

I just whipped down to the chemist and have EMLA on hand. Fingers crossed. At almost $20 for a 5g tube this stuff had better be miracle cream!

Edited by lishermide, 11 January 2013 - 10:17 AM.

#18 Wishing2011

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

But for me its not the needle that stings.. its the medication itself that stings afterwards. Hopefully EMLA can help that?

poor girl sounds like she has been through alot

Edited by Wishing2011, 11 January 2013 - 10:19 AM.

#19 Bluemakede

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:20 AM

QUOTE (lishermide @ 11/01/2013, 09:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bluemakede, they did alcohol swab first. So that could have been part of the problem. Thanks.

That may have been the problem. Clexane needles are coated the alco wipes remove the coating effectively blunting the needles. I find they are already quite a hard needle to administer they seem to need a harder push to get in the skin compared to heparin etc.

Also don't angle it, they're meant to be 90 degrees they have a shorter needle than other subcut needles. Also ensure the air bubble is at the top of the syringe (injected last) it seals the injection site.

#20 lishermide

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

If I don't angle it won't I hit muscle though? Or not because I've pinched it up.

#21 nik_klinger

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

QUOTE (Satay chicken @ 11/01/2013, 10:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've done about 70 Clexane injections during my time TTC so a bit of experience  wink.gif

I personally found having a hot shower, then straight after sitting on the loo so I could see what I was doing and be able to grab some fat (although I would have alot more than your daughter), insert the syringe on a 45 degree angle with the sharpest point going into the skin first.  Doing it this way I never really had any pain and no bruzing. I think the skin is softer and more subtle after being damp and warm.

All the very best, I know its pretty tough...

Same, definitely at an angle but I actually do it before going into the shower (must try after).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

WIN two Sea-Bands plus $1000

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band Prize Pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos Gift Card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.