Kids taking photos of other kids' "private parts"
Would you be worried?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 censura carnero

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

My kids spent the day with another family a couple of days ago and when I went to pick them up the mum told me that their 6 year old daughter had taken photos of my DD on the toilet.  She told my DD who is 4  that she was going to put them on facebook.  When I went to pick them up the mum who I am friends with told me straight away but worded it like this "well you'll probably hear it from DD anyway".  Told me what happened and said she had deleted photos and that she had banned her DD from the ipad until schools starts back.  She looked  upset and embarrassed  when she told me but I got the feeling she only told me because she thought I'd hear anyway.  When I got home my son told me that the daughter had taken photos of him too but she didn't get his penis because he put his hands over his crotch. He told me that he had told the mother but mum (my friend) didn't mention that side to me.

Ok I get that kids do silly things and experiment etc.  I'm ok with that.  However, I told a mutual friend about it and she said that their son had exposed himself to their 18 month old baby.  Waved his penis in the baby's face.  He had also taken nude photos of their 3 year old daughter.  I'm worried that the only reason they would do this is that they have been subjected to some kind of abuse themselves.  There is absolutely no proof of course otherwise I would have no hesitation in reporting the situation.

When I discussed it with my kids that night I told them how proud I was of them for telling a grown up and it's never ok to keep secrets from mummy and daddy.  Told them that their private parts (explained what they were) are for them and no one can touch them or take photos of them.

I will not be letting my children go the house without me being present again because my gut tell me that something is off. Is this innocent childhood exploration or something more?  Such a sensitive and touchy subject that I'm a bit confused how to deal with it. Bloody hell.  sad.gif

#2 FluffyOscar

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

Nah, that's wrong and quite off. The mother's attitude was pretty poor too. I don't know whether anything is "going on" but I'd probably let the friendship go. From experience, even if future visits are supervised you don't always know what is bring said, or what is happening in a different room.

#3 Expelliarmus

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

Well, you don't need proof to make a report.

What are reasonable grounds?
You do not need to have proof to report any concerns you have about the safety of a child under 16 or a young person. Indicators that represent reasonable grounds to report a suspected offence include:

- A child or young person discloses that he or she has suffered or is suffering non accidental physical injury or sexual abuse
- Someone else advises you that a child or young person has been sexually abused or non-accidentally injured, or
- Your own observations of the child or young person's physical condition or behaviours lead you to reasonably suspect that the child or young person has suffered or is suffering non-accidental physical injury or sexual abuse.
From http://www.childwise.net/Self-Help-Guide-b...-australia.html

If it were me I'd probably make the call but only because I'm a mandated reporter and would cover my own butt. If I wasn't, it's borderline for me - no disclosure has been made by a child, but it's iffy, isn't it?

It's up to you whether or not you do.

Edited by howdo, 10 January 2013 - 08:45 PM.

#4 iwanttosleepin

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

Could be some sinister or totally innocent.

My DS (6 years old) was visiting a good mate's house one afternoon and when I went to pick him up him and his friend were in the worst mood.  They were so embarrassed because they had been found looking at each other's bottoms.  Both got a good talking to and there have been no incidents since.

#5 censura carnero

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

QUOTE (iwanttosleepin @ 10/01/2013, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Could be some sinister or totally innocent.

My DS (6 years old) was visiting a good mate's house one afternoon and when I went to pick him up him and his friend were in the worst mood.  They were so embarrassed because they had been found looking at each other's bottoms.  Both got a good talking to and there have been no incidents since.

I see that as normal childhood exploration.  It's a fine line though.

#6 emnut

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

I'm in two minds about this - not overly concerned about the taking of the photos as such (but I would want to see for myself they had been deleted) - my reason for this is that my DS when he was about 6 or 7 took photos of me in the shower & drying myself.  On the other hand though, once we explained to him why it was wrong he has never done it again.  There was nothing in it from him, no abuse etc to him, just pure being carried away with his ability to photograph people.

How old was the son when he took the photos and waved his penis in the baby's face?  That would also influence whether or not I would report in case anything is happening.

How the other mother handled the situation doesn't sound ideal at all but then it could be genuine embarrassment on her part that she wouldn't have otherwise said anything.  I know DS had a sleepover at a friends house & his mum was most embarrassed & sorry to have to tell me that DS saw her DH naked in the middle of the night.  Again like your friend - she told me because she knew if she didn't DS would have.

#7 censura carnero

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

once we explained to him why it was wrong he has never done it again. There was nothing in it from him, no abuse etc to him, just pure being carried away with his ability to photograph people.

How old was the son when he took the photos and waved his penis in the baby's face? That would also influence whether or not I would report in case anything is happening.

Son would have been 5 at the time. Your point about taking the photo and then after a stern talking to never did it again is my issue.  He hasn't done it again that I'm aware of but it's his sister. It makes me think that he possibly has photographed his sister which makes her think it's ok.

Edited by censura carnero, 10 January 2013 - 08:56 PM.

#8 SeaPrincess

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

I might actually bring it up with the parent/s out of concern for the children, so not in an accusing way, but suggesting to them that it's not normal.  Children wanting to look at each other is one thing, the photos takes it to the next level, but a 6yo threatening to post inappropriate photos on FB - that's just not normal.

#9 censura carnero

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

I'm not concerned about the facebook thing because I did ask mum about that and she said she knows about facebook as she sees her putting family pics up for the relatives to see.  But in a sense it is a worry because it was like a threat to DD.  My 4 year old who has no idea about facebook freaked out and went and told the girl's mum at that point.  Despite not knowing what it was she knew that the images were made for others to see.

Edited by censura carnero, 10 January 2013 - 09:15 PM.

#10 emnut

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

QUOTE (censura carnero @ 10/01/2013, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Son would have been 5 at the time. Your point about taking the photo and then after a stern talking to never did it again is my issue.  He hasn't done it again that I'm aware of but it's his sister. It makes me think that he possibly has photographed his sister which makes her think it's ok.

It may be the case but not necessarily - you said that he had taken photos of her at this age but it may be a case of either she didn't remember or that he was reprimanded in private/doesn't have any recollection of the repercussions of it.  It could also be fairly normal childhood instance of playing around with a device that takes photos and not understanding the whole lack of appropriateness of when you can and can't take photos.  

Is the mother aware that you know of the past photos and penis waving incidents?  If so then I would talk to her about your concern with all the incidents together.  If not and you have any doubt then you can always report it so authorities at least have it on record.

ETA - I am normally very proactive when it comes to protecting DS from any sexual deviance due to a history, however, I was not there to see the demeanour of the mother which may well be contributing to your concerns.

Edited by emnut, 10 January 2013 - 09:56 PM.

#11 Jembo

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

told a mutual friend about it and she said that their son had exposed himself to their 18 month old baby. Waved his penis in the baby's face. He had also taken nude photos of their 3 year old daughter. I'm worried that the only reason they would do this is that they have been subjected to some kind of abuse themselves.

I have 2 boys, and I have lost count of the times they think taking pictures of each others bums is funny .  Just yesterday I had to tell the littlest one off for sticking his penis in the cats face.  Neither have been subjected to anything untoward.

#12 Holidayromp

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

DH caught my DS who is two waving his penis at his older sister aged 10 saying 'Doodle Doodle Doodle' she of course was giggling but there was nothing untoward.  He has a great fascination in it and has yet to learn boundaries.

But one thing I am trying to get DH to stop calling it a Doodle because everyone else in the family calls penis' just that! grrrr

#13 CallMeFeral

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

I've no idea whether it's normal or not, but I agree with listening to your gut.

#14 Fifi LaRue

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

It's hard to say really, without being there.  The DD could have been thinking she was taking a cute photo and said she's going to put in on FB because she thought it was a 'cute' photo, rather than being a threat.  I have pretty much always said to my kids - 'awww that's a cute one - it's going straight to FB'!  The mum was probably embarrassed and somewhat anxious because some people really freak out over stuff like this and she might not have known how you would react.

As for their DS, I tend to take 2nd hand information with a grain of salt, unless I really, really trust the person telling me and their interpretation of the situation.  Again mainly because some people tend to over react to fairly simple situations, I was thrust into the middle of a very similar situation, where I witnessed an incident, and both sets of parents had very different version of said event simply because of their interpretations and emotions involved.

If however, you have any other worries or think of any other sexualised behaviour that the children have been displaying I would report it.

Edited by Fifi LaRue, 10 January 2013 - 10:30 PM.

#15 Cat12

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

QUOTE (Jembo @ 10/01/2013, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have 2 boys, and I have lost count of the times they think taking pictures of each others bums is funny .  Just yesterday I had to tell the littlest one off for sticking his penis in the cats face.  Neither have been subjected to anything untoward.

My younger boys will flap their willy at anyone that looks their way.

Cat

#16 saxa

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:47 PM

I think the "normal" line has been somewhat blurred since I was a kid to what it is today in many many ways.

There was a time once when being inquisitive and "showing" private parts was normal, in this day and age with cameras on phones, social networking etc these things are seen as " normal"

In a day and age where parents are constantly taking photos on phones of their kids and posting to Facebook  are so common it is possible these kids think that is "normal"

I really hope it is nothing more sinister than kids doing what they think is normal, but these days we are so quick to jump to the most extreme possibility.

Edited by saxa, 10 January 2013 - 11:49 PM.

#17 FlutterbyBlue

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:56 PM

I would rather report it and be proven wrong, than let it go and find out later I should have gone with my gut.  It's worth losing a friendship if children are being abused.

Also you have no proof that ALL the pictures were deleted, and again, I would rather be wrong than have inappropriate photographs of my children popping up anywhere at any time.

#18 Nofliesonme

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:01 AM

A 6yo using Facebook is the first thing that stood out as wrong......
I'm in 2 minds. My DD1 a few years back took photos of me naked breastfeeding and in the shower until we had the talk that she shouldn't do that. I didn't realise until we were going through camera. Lol.

DD2 done the same thing recently she would walk and say cheese no matter what state I was in.

This is all innocent. I'm not sure about your about your scenarios. Have they been there before, has this happened before ? If they been there before it could be harmless if not I'd be concerned.
Eta: after re reading about him exposing himself id be concerned.

Edited by thunda, 11 January 2013 - 02:08 AM.

#19 Feral Alpacas

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:34 AM

I'd go with your gut, talk to the mum again, ask to see the camera etc. and get your kids a copy of Everyone's Got a Bottom. It's a great book that explains private parts and teaches kids that their bodies are their own.

#20 ~sydblue~

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:43 AM

There is a big difference between some of the things being mentioned in this thread, and the OP's post.

I am normally pretty laid back but if DD came home at 4 and told me her friend had taken photos of her on the toilet, I would be ringing and reporting it.
There is a big difference between kids of that age waving their willies around and showing bums, and kids taking photos(or trying to) of other kids privates and then threatening to put them on Facebook.

#21 DreamFeralisations

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:49 AM

QUOTE (censura carnero @ 10/01/2013, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My kids spent the day with another family a couple of days ago and when I went to pick them up the mum told me that their 6 year old daughter had taken photos of my DD on the toilet.  She told my DD who is 4  that she was going to put them on facebook.  ...She had banned her DD from the ipad until schools starts back...

Another one with the 6 year old on Facebook freak out - and I am thinking it may not even be in the home, if she is having unsupervised access on her iPad.  Prime target to groom?

I think you handled it pretty well and reiterating to your kids about no secrets from Mummy and Daddy is fantastic.

I was ropeable about someone playing a game with my little one, having "a secret from Mum" - it is very important in my world that they are able to talk to you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The mum who never met her baby

There was one more thing Kymberlie Shepherd wanted to experience in life - motherhood. But a rare illness took her first.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.