15 months old and only 2 words

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 MissM86

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:38 PM

DD is 15 months and only says Mama and Dada and Do for dog. She understands everything really well (even complicated things like 'Turn around and sit down facing that way') and people often comment on how well she understands things. She can clap hands, knows where her head and belly button and feet are and can do things like turn on the tv and so forth. She started walking at 9 months and has reached all the other developmental milestones within the earlyish range but I can't help worrying!

The book I bring to the health nurse for the 18 month check up (the Blue Book) says that at 18 months she should say 5-10 words and I am wondering if she will catch up in the next two months. She babbles a lot but its actually just a lot of Doh Doh Doh and Lalala sounds and up and down intonations.

Do you think this sounds like I should be worried or am I being silly? I don't even know what this would indicate or what I should be worried about in terms of delays etc.

Edited by MissM86, 10 January 2013 - 06:40 PM.

#2 FeralHez

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

My DD is 15 mts and a bit and has only started two words used consistently in context, in the last week or two.

Like yours she understands a LOT.

I am not (yet) worried as she babbles mimicking speech and understands what you say to her.

So I wouldn't be too worried for your DD either, we will probably find they take off really quickly now they are getting started.

#3 OneProudMum

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

It sounds to me like she is developing fine and I bet you will notice a big difference in a month!

#4 Eternally

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

My almost 18 month old is the same, hardly says any words, but is very good at expressing her needs in other ways and understands heaps. She is good at animal noises, says mama and dada, and sings along with sounds, so I'm not worried.

The usual applies though, if you are worried, you can make an appoint,ent with GP or MCHN.

#5 OneProudMum

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

PS you often hear of children who are "late talkers" and then you can't stop them! They are like parrots! You are probably in for a treat.

#6 Brownbear

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

I was also worried when my son only said 2 or 3 words at that age.

About 2 weeks before his 18 month check-up, he had a sudden explosion of words and now (at 19 months) says several hundred words and has started stringing them together.

Your DD sounds fine!

#7 Madnesscraves

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

Wouldn't worry yet. DD is 1 barely says much but understands so many commands. DH was the same and didn't speak until he was like 2-3? It was bc he was so good at featuring what he wanted there was no need to speak! His mum had to basically make him say the word to get what he wanted. Sounds like your child is fine and smart to me!

#8 AntiBourgeoisie

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

Kids usually concentrate on a few developmental goals at a time. If she is physically active and an early walker, it follows that speech might be come later. Even bright kids are generally not 'ahead of the curve' in everything.
Her speech at 15 months sounds within the spectrum of normal. One of my children said his first word at 14 months (while his best friend could say 20), had a couple at 15 months , and by 18 months had probably 100 words and was speaking in 2 word sentences. You may find that your child is quick off the mark at this age.
The reason the speech milestone is set at 18 months (and not earlier) is because there is huge variability before this age. As long as she shows signs of being able to hear, it is unlikely anyone will be too concerned until she is 18 months.
Now that she has a few words, you can encourage acquisition of more words by pointing out and naming everything for her clearly.

#9 Lauren Bell

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

I don't think you have anything to worry about OP! She sounds fine!
I bet she'll pick up heaps of new words over the next 3-4 months. Just keep reading to her :-)
I have a friend who's child was born 1 week before mine, who said her LO was having full on convos by 18 months :-/ but they pick up words so quick, if she's still not talking at 2 years then maybe look into it, but honestly she sounds perfect.

#10 IsolaBella

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

I had two late talkers.

One with less then 10 words at 24m. The other with around 15.

By three my eldest was "I think perhaps a train may be coming soon". By 5 was always asked "does he ever shut up"

In first grade he is reading years ahead and is doing 2-4th grade maths. A very bright spark.

DS2 we discovered at 2.5yrs when he finally talked more that he actually had moderate hearing loss. He had amazing coping abilities so it was not picked up earlier. Even with grommets in at 3 it still took until he was over 4yrs to return a normal hearing test. Al his assessor s talk about how bright he is.

DD didn't have much at 15m, but by 20m was saying Ds1Name give me ball back NOW,

So like PP have said just keep an eye on it and monitor. Also remember sometimes there are words which your child uses which you may not notice are words.

#11 lilmissmars

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

I found with my first that he didn't need to talk because we picked up on his cues the instant he needed things and we did more talking for him.
Now onto my third child and she says quite a bit at 10.5 months because she has more of a need to be heard over the other kids.

Your bub does sound fine. If she is so active and has learnt her gross motor things for the age range you may well find she will turn into a complete chatter box in the next couple of months.

#12 mummy.to.one

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

She is still young but I would keep an eye on it.

She sounds like she has developed fine with other areas, so speech may just be a tad slower.

See how many words she has at 18months and then again at two and decide if she has improved, not moved, or regressed.

DS has a severe speech delay, at 18 months I think he had 5words, this didn't improve by 2years and he was loosing words that he could say at one point.

#13 MissM86

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

Thanks everyone. I will keep an eye on her and see how she goes. I always say the word of whatever object etc it is that she wants, we read MILLIONS of books each day and she has just come back from a holiday with the extended family where everyone spent a lot of one on one time talking to her and her babbling DID increase. She has a dummy in bed and in the car and pram and I am trying to really limit the use of this in case it is having an impact on her too.

#14 ALEJA

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

My 16mo is also very clever in understanding instructions and knows exactly what I am saying yet the majority of his communication is screeches and grunts. We probably have 2 or 3 words happening and I can hear him copying words occasionally but I think he gets a quicker response with the high volume screech. Also a good defence mechanism against older siblings.

#15 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

My 15 month old makes sounds like mama and dada but I have no idea if he is saying it with intent.

He babbles a lot but doesn't really say anything. He's interactive just can't talk, he understands a lot and can communicate well.

I'm not worried at this stage.

#16 Lucygoosey1

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

My DD2 at 15mths had mum & dada and that's it.  Now at just 17mths she has just had an explosion of words and probably says about 20 or more words - like car, cup, nanny, ba (bath),  and her own name- which she says 1000 times a day.  She talks non stop.
That is completely normal under 18mths.

#17 GreenEgg

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:15 PM

If she is making lots of different babbling sounds I wouldn't be too concerned my DD babbled a lot and would hold a babbling back and forth conversation but at 18 months did have many words. Not long after she had a word explosion and now doesn't shut up at 2.8months uses the correct pronoun and tense. My DS at 16 months has just been classified as having a speech delay possibly due to fluid In His ears and he doesn't babble but still communicates with pointing and grunting.
Point being I wouldn't be concerned yet but bring it up with health nurse a hearing check wouldn't do any harm.

#18 No girls here

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

I just asked my GP about this last week when DS3 had his 18 month injections as he is only saying 5 words.  The GP said it was still within normal range.  I got a referral to get his hearing tested, but only because I asked for it.  If he hasn't picked up a lot by the time he turns 2 I'll be looking at speech therapy then.

#19 mummabear84

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

Hi,

I'm in the same situation with my 2 year old. He isn't saying many words and I wasn't sure whether this is normal or not. My husband's mother keeps saying that he's fine but I'm still worried.

Even though I think my son understands me reasonably well it seems he should be saying more words at this age. I think I'm going to take him to see a speech pathologist for a check up. I'd rather find out now if he's behind or not so if he is we can get him help early on. If it turns out he's ok, I'll be able to put my mind at ease! Good luck everyone with your little ones - whatever you decide to do I think it's great that you're aware of it and thinking about these things. If you're still not sure after asking your GP, have a look on the web for more info. I found the web site I looked at really informative original.gif

Edited by Therese, 19 February 2013 - 09:47 AM.
to remove blog link

#20 mummy.to.one

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

Mummabear84 have you had his hearing tested?

I know that is a path many take first as it can be the underlying reason for a speech delay.

That guide is useful, as it combines speech and play skills in the list which is all part of speech development.

Another pp mentioned babbling, DS babbles non-stop but still has a severe speech delay as it is only babbling so even with babbling there can still be a delay.

#21 TheSmithFamily

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

Her receptive language sounds spot on and you'll be amazed in the next few months how fast new expressive language will develop!

My 15 month old woke up this morning and pointed out the window and said " look car" I just about fell over as up until then it was mum, dad, brother, more and sissy.

Enjoy xx
Bron

#22 Lil Chickens

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE (ALEJA @ 10/01/2013, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My 16mo is also very clever in understanding instructions and knows exactly what I am saying yet the majority of his communication is screeches and grunts. We probably have 2 or 3 words happening and I can hear him copying words occasionally but I think he gets a quicker response with the high volume screech. Also a good defence mechanism against older siblings.

This is 17.5mo DS!  He does understand everything you say to him though.  One day I asked him to "please get Isabelle's bubble blower" and he walked over, got it off the table and gave it to his sister.  I do plan to talk to the GP about it at his 18mo injections.  

It doesn't help that I compare him to DD who was incredibly articulate at this age.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.