Govt Paid Maternity Leave

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Wishing2011

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

Hi everyone, I’m just trying to work out my budget while I am off on mat leave later this year and am trying to work out an estimate of how much I will get back from the govt paid mat leave after tax. For those of you that know how to work it out can you please help me original.gif

#2 gemgirl

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

As far as I know, it depends on your tax rate, so no one can work it out for you, really, as everyone will have a different rate

#3 katiebear26

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

try http://www.ato.gov.au/scripts/taxcalc/calc...ndard_hire.aspx to calculate based on your circumstances :-)

#4 Wishing2011

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

isn't that tax calculator to calculate the tax I'm paying on my current wage?? Does the Govt Paid Mat leave tax rate get charged on my current tax rate?? I'm really confused...

IS there anyone out there currently receiving it that can help me work it out..

I'm assuming the current minimum wage is now approx $608.. From what I read on the medicare site, if you don't have a job (which I may not have) when I have bub you will get taxed at a rate of 25%.. So does this mean I may be getting in the hand $454.80 per week? If I do go on mat leave I will not be entitled to paid mat leave from work so I will be reyling on this as well as my husbands income..

Edited by Wishing2011, 10 January 2013 - 01:12 PM.

#5 Tenacious C

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

Generally PPL is paid into your account by your employer - the amount of tax witheld will depend on the tax rate your employer applies, whether you have a HECS/HELP debt etc. the tax rate applied would also be effected by whther you are taking paid leave from work at the same time. For example it is possible to have PPL paid at the same time you are utilising annual leave, long service leave etc.

There are circumstances where Centrelink will pay PPL into your account, but this is not the norm.

So it is really difficult for someone to work it out for you as our circumstnaces may not be the same and we do not know what your taxable income for the financial year will be and whether you have a HECS/HELP debt.

#6 robot sm

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

To estimate mine, I just applied my current tax rate to the $608 - I figured it out from a recent payslip.  It's just an estimate but was helpful for a rough budget.

#7 mummacat

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

I know my employer continued to tax me at the same tax rate I was on when I was working during my paid parental leave period. This just meant I got a larger tax return and timing wise it working out well for us as it was like a forced saving. I recommend that you talk to your payroll department to see what their policy is and how they will calculate your tax for the period.

#8 MrsLexiK

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

If you are on a higher tax bracket you will be taxed at that rate for mat leave, if you are on the lowest one you will be taxed at that one.  If you are taxed to much you will get it back at tax time.  That is for an employer.  It could well be that if the govt is paying it (in cases where you have a contract or have been made unemployed but still meet the test) they may tax you at 25% to ensure you do not end up with a tax debt at the end of the year.  Remember if you are not taxed enough there will be a tax debt.

#9 Wishing2011

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

I'm currently contracted so I don't know if they will keep me on. They are talking about making me permanent but if they find out I am pregnant they might not. My contract ends in June so I may not have an employer. I have no HECS debts. if it is as simple as applyign my current tax rate then that's fine. I just have no idea how to work it out.. they dont make it easy for you to work out.. Should I call centrelink maybe?

thanks ladies if it is as simple as working out my current rate then I will work with that for now original.gif

#10 winterbabies

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

It depends on how much you will earn in that week as to what the tax rate will be.
For example, if you choose to be paid the PPL at the same time as Maternity leave payments from your employer, then you will pay more tax than if you take the payments once your employer payments finish. Tax is calculated on the amount you earn in the payment period and adjusted accordingly- it is not calculated on how much you may earn for the year.

So, if you are only receiving the PPL in a payment period then you will pay a very small amount of tax, the calc previously posted can help you work this out.

Whichever way you take it though, your tax will be corrected when you do your return.

#11 Ally'smum

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

I started mine in a new financial year and asked my employer to take tax out at the applicable rate, not my salary tax rate. As it was my only income for that financial year it was easy to do.
If you want them to do this it should be straightforward.

#12 Mozzie1

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

To figure out how much tax you will need to pay on it accurately, you need to calculate how much tax you will pay for the whole year.

To do this, you will need to first know how much you will earn for the year.

Eg.

You work full time for 4 months on a salary of $90k = $30k.
You get 18 weeks PPL at $608 pw = $10,944
You take the rest of the year as unpaid maternity leave.

Total earnings $40,944
Estimated tax $6242, or 15%.

#13 JRA

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

i am not sure how many times people can answer your question.

The tax in the end will be based on what you earn for the financial year in which you receive the income. So if you finish you current job at the end of june, and dont work for a full 12 mths, the final tax will be zero. So any tax taken out will be returned in your tax return.

If you take the 18weeks off then earn another  $180K or so in the remainder of the tax year, the tax rate will the top tax rate.

So what rate the govt takes out will affect what you get in your hand at the time, but not overall, as the tax return may take more or give some back.

#14 Wishing2011

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

Mozzie answered it for me.. Thank you!! original.gif

#15 sarkazm76

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

This is a bit of an aside - but PP said it is "not the norm" for Centrelink to pay PPL.  When I was paid PPL in 2011 when I had my son it was totally optional for employer to pay it or not (until the next fin year started)  Mine said too hard blah blah, lazy - didn't think they would get the money from the government in a timely fashion.... so I just claimed through Centrelink.  So this time around (Due in May) I started looking into it thinking I would HAVE to get my employer to pay it and they will f it up if I don't sort it out soon..... but the info I found said that because Employers were soooo unhappy about having to administer the scheme that the government changed it and said "ok then we won't make you do it - people can claim through us still".
So my intention is to claim through Centrelink and be taxed flat rate of 15%.

If anyone knows if that info is wrong could you please tell me.... like I said if I HAVE to get my employer to do it I need to start them down that road NOW.

But yes, I would think if my employer is paying me $608 a week then they will tax me as such. As tax is always paid per pay period.  They won't take any consideration to what my full time working pay is/ tax is.

#16 l-m-n-o-p

I am currently getting the PPL paid directly from the govt (before the birth of my son, I was working casually for a couple of different employees) - I net $1,032.00 a fortnight.

I think the tax deducted is based on the scenario where you would be in the minimum wage tax bracket for the entire tax year. The total tax is adjusted at the end of the tax year based on any other earnings leaving you with a bill or return.

#17 naturalgoodness

I just completed my PPL application online. As I will not be working for my employer when the PPL is paid Centrelink will pay it and their process advises they will deduct 15% tax from the payment. You can nominate to have extra taken if want.

If I was continuing with my employer, they would continue to tax as per their current system of payroll as that is how it would be paid.

As others have then said, at the end of the financial year all tax paid is considered against gross earnings and worked out whether you have over or under paid tax.

My contract also ends in June, however I will be going on unpaid leave from March-June so Centrelink will pay my PPL due to the 18 weeks extending past my contract end date. Given you situation sounds similar to mine, I would use the 15% rate that Centrelink quoted me.

#18 Wishing2011

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

Thanks naturalgoodness, yes your situation sounds like mine. Easy to work out if it is 15%.. If I need to pay a little bit of tax at the end of the next financial year so be it. I don't plan on working within the 12 months but I might need to and it might push us up to the bracket where I pay more tax again.

I appreciate everyones help. Obviously I'm new to working this all out. So at least now I can work off something for now to plan my budget :-)

#19 MuddyPuddles

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

Ive just gotten off the phone with my HR about this (government)

If I get PPL at the same time at my mat leave payments, I will be taxed in whatever that tax bracket is, which would be high.

If I get the PPL to be paid after my paid leave entitlements run out, and I am on unpaid mat leave,  then I will only be taxed on $608  which is the PPL payment, per week. The calculator provided before will work this out for you. You can nominate when you want the payments to start, so I will be taking the second option and getting paid PPL whilst on unpaid mat leave so there is still some income coming in.

If you are not employed at the time then Centrelink will provide your PPL payment and you will only be taxed on $608 per week at the appropriate lowest tax bracket.

#20 Wishing2011

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

perfect! thanks that's easy then original.gif and good to know in case I was entitled to paid mat leave from my employer.

Edited by Wishing2011, 10 January 2013 - 02:02 PM.

#21 Tenacious C

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

sarkazm76 - From the Human Services website - http://www.humanservices.gov.au/business/s...-for-employers/

In most cases, employers provide Parental Leave Pay to their eligible employees. The government provides the necessary Paid Parental Leave funds to employers first.

As an employer, you must provide Parental Leave Pay to an eligible employee who:

• has a newborn or recently adopted child
  • has worked for you for at least 12 months before the expected date of birth or adoption
  • will be your employee until at least the end of their Paid Parental Leave period
  • is Australian-based, and
  • is expected to receive at least eight weeks of Parental Leave Pay.
Your business must have an Australian Business Number to participate in the scheme.

#22 sarkazm76

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

Uuugghhh.
Thanks for that biggrin.gif  The above exasperation is that I now have to get dumb and dumber to pay me sad.gif  I've messaged Centrelink to ask them if I can opt to have them pay me instead, ha!  Last time all my employer had to do was pay all my accrued annual leave and she f'ed it up and over taxed me by $1000 and ignored all my requests to rectify.  For her it's a matter of "oh well you will get it back at tax time".  Like everyone can just afford to wait.

Sorry - end rant biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Life with anxiety

At times, I feel pretty worthless. In those moments, all I want to do is curl up into a ball and hide in the dark. I can try to quiet my mind, but it won?t shut up.

IVF leaves woman pregnant with another couple's twins

An Italian woman has been told the twins she is three months pregnant with are not hers.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

What you need for the 'fourth trimester'

In my opinion, the first three months after the birth are the most intense. Here's what got me through that time after welcoming my baby.

Weaning a toddler off a dummy: a 15-day plan

Weaning your child off the dummy can be a traumatic experience for both of you. Here are some tips to help you through.

Choosing to be a solo parent

Two women share their stories of longing for a baby so much that they each decided not to wait for a partner before becoming a mum.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

The ultimate travel stroller: the Mountain Buggy nano

We tried the Mountain Buggy nano and give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. As the ultimate travel stroller, it's practical, has great features, and looks fab, too.

Mum's heartbreak as son dies in road accident

Daly Thomas and her two young sons were walking home from church on Tuesday afternoon. Her youngest son never made it.

New Kate Spade baby bag designs

Don?t adjust your screen: this bright beauty is coming to you in full colour.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.