Sunscreen *fluff*
Which one?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 lafonda

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

What sunscreen do you use?

Do you use a different one depending on the person/activity? Or do you buy a large bottle and just use it? What spf is it?

original.gif

#2 *LucyE*

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:43 AM

Ours are SPF 50+.

I do have different ones for different purposes eg. A drier one for myself because I dislike the greasy feeling, a sports one for DH who sweats a lot, a spray one for the kids when I can't be bothered fighting, a 'natural' kids one that I prefer they use. Most are Cancer Council brand except for the Baby one.

#3 EssentialBludger

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

I use neutrogena wet skin when we are swimming, and banana boat ultra all other times.

None of us got burnt on a 5 day camping trip recently while outside in 40 degrees the whole time.

#4 unicycle

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

Ego sun sense 30+ the 500 ml pump pack with the two hour waterproof. It comes in a red and white pack. We only need to reapply on our faces, it doesn't come off in the water or when exercising for the whole day.
The blue pack with 4 hours water resistance is horrid, the skin can't breathe at all. Yu end up feeling so hot. I think you wouldn't need to reapply that one for an entire week!
We have used this product successfully for years without ever burning and staying long time outdoors.

#5 PrincessPeach

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

I use Hamilton Face for my face & then Cancer council ones for the rest of me.

DH gets plastered with whichever one i am using at that point in time.

I only ever use a 30+ sunscreen, But I live at the beach & am out on the water a lot, so any less SPF than that & they don't seem to cut it for me.

#6 livvie7586

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

neutrogena ultra sheer for me (although i never go swimming, so not sure how it would work in water).  i've done beach trips, sitting at the lake trips and zoo trips (last zoo trip was on saturday-we spent 5 hours there) wearing it, and i've never been sunburnt with it.  most sunscreens i end up burnt using, so this seems to work for me

#7 noonehere

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

Neutrogena wet skin spray for everybody here

#8 robot sm

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

I get a weird reaction to creams on my chest so for my face and chest I use Invisible Zinc.  Arms, legs, etc and for DH we don't really mind what brand, but will always get high SPF and generally avoid perfumed sunscreens.  I like the ones that are dry-feel, but it can be easy to forget what you've already put sunscreen on! original.gif

#9 CountryFeral

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

I've been using a 30+  'light feel' Nivia one as well as a greasier cancer council on if I'm out on the boat.

In the past I was a Banana Boat girl..

I'll use whatever is around but they all give me a rash - stupid sensitive skin.

#10 rosie28

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

Invisible Zinc - normal one for body, face one for face. It's the only one that actually stops me burning, and even then I reapply every hour.

#11 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

DH and I have a big pump bottle of Cancer Council stuff.  

The DDs usually have Banana Boat kids, this year I tried the spray on one, which worked really well, but not particularly economical.

I use an everyday face moisturiser with SPF30+ too.

#12 LemonPie

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

We were given a SunSense toddler milk to use for our little one as a gift - this has been pretty good but I think discontinued now.

I bought some more Sunsense last week to use and tried the 'Sensitive'.  Wasn't too happy with the product as it was very thick going on and left a white layer on mine and my little one's skins, also she got a light red rash after using.

I contacted Sunsense and they are being really good.  They are letting me return the product to them and will send me some other samples to try out and then replace the product with whatever I prefer.

Funnily enough I also bought the Ultra product but haven't tried that yet as it was more for the whole family/use for hubby when fishing.  So I guess we should crack it and see if it is good too.

I have their daily face tint which seems to be pretty good so far.

#13 MrsLexiK

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

Whatever I can find.  

I probably wouldn't go out specially to buy 50+ or 60+ either as it doesn't offer you double protection.  SPF 30+ offers you 97% protection SPF40+ offers you 97.5% and nothing actually offers you 100%

Also I don't always pay attention to the times on the bottles (ie 4 hours or 8 hours resitant) you are meant to take the time that it takes to burn x the SPF you are using = that equals when you should reapply.

I will always go for something that states sunblock as opposed to sunscreen though as the sunscreen is aborbed by the body so you should be putting it on before you go out in the sun whilst the sunblock, blocks the rays for the period of time.

When spf 30 came out I could never wear it, I used to break out.  I think because all the companies that made spf30 also used PABA,  now most don't use PABA as a product in the cream or block so I am ok with it.

Edited by MrsLexiK, 10 January 2013 - 11:16 AM.

#14 sparassidae

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE (MrsLexiK @ 10/01/2013, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also I don't always pay attention to the times on the bottles (ie 4 hours or 8 hours resitant) you are meant to take the time that it takes to burn x the SPF you are using = that equals when you should reapply.

Exactly this. So for me and most of my children: 5 minutes unprotected in summer sad.gif X spf 30 means we get 150 minutes, which is 2.5 hrs.

We buy the homebrand pump pack. We go through so much anyway with the size of our family that I don't want cost to be a limiting factor. Buy it cheap and slather it on generously. We don't get any skin reactions and it works just as well as the more expensive brands when applied properly.

#15 my serenity

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

We all use the banana boat baby/kids one

#16 shopalot33

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

QUOTE (rosie28 @ 10/01/2013, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Invisible Zinc - normal one for body, face one for face. It's the only one that actually stops me burning, and even then I reapply every hour.

This, but I just use the normal one for face and body on all of us.  We are all very, very fair skinned and it's the only one that prevents burning.

#17 Apageintime

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

I use the clinique city block every day on my face and chest under my makeup.

For running in the afternoon I use a banana boat sport one, for going to the beack or pool I use the Letan coconut one - smells delightful.

#18 ~Mo+Moosh~

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

Over the holiday period we tried the Neutrogena wet skin one but all 3 of my children reacted to it. Sounded good in theory.

So we are back to Banana Boat kids and that doesn't seem to cause any issues.

#19 zande

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

I detest the thought of all the chemicals in sunscreens and have tried in vain for a few years to find a natural one that works. Haven't found it so far. The most natural ones didn't do much to prevent my DDs getting burnt and really dried out their skin.  We use long sleeve rashies, long rashie boardies, a sun shelter and massive hats on the kids, so really only use sunscreen on the lower legs and faces. Or maybe a bit extra when they're in the pool in the backyard.

I was tending to use Invisible Zinc, DD2 was using a Cancer Council one and DD1 (who has Aspergers and strong sensory issues) will only use the Banana Boat dry one, which I'm happy about as at least now she'll put it on, we used to have screaming fits at the beach over sunscreen LOL. I got sick of carting 3 sunscreens around so I bought a Woolies Select pump pack coz it was cheap and I can have it out the back for visiting people in the pool, and a zinc stick for noses, coz it's easy to apply.

#20 ez21

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

I use Natural Instinct Mineral 30+ Sunscreen.  It's a zinc oxide sunscreen and it's better than Invisible Zinc (and so much cheaper).  Plus, it does not contain any chemical filters, nano particles, titanium dioxide, fragrances, parabens, PABA or mineral oils.

I much prefer the sunscreens that use a physical UV blocker (zinc oxide based sunscreens) than the ones that use chemical blockers.  I have really sensitive skin so the zinc sunscreens are generally better for me anyway.

#21 PeggyLou

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

Due to our DS having allergic reactions to cheaper sunscreens and some others we have tried, the only one that he can use is Nivea (in any of the forms, normal spf 30+, childrens etc)

We all use it. The other day was about 40 degrees and we went out for the day and none of us got sun burnt.

When desperate we can use one of the supermarket brands, but only for a day, as he starts breaking out.

#22 Lyn29

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

Edited by bye, 29 March 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#23 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

Woolies Select pump pack for the family in general, although I will often use the Olay Complete Defence Sensitive Skin moisturiser-sunscreen for my face (always in my handbag).  Both SPF 30+

#24 SisterMaryElephant

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

I use a zinc oxide based products on the kids.  At the moment, we have both Banana Boat Mineral Protect and Woolworths Select version, and they are both great for staying on and I like that it's a physical barrier.

Admittedly they are very greasy and not that nice to use, so for myself I use an Ego Sunsense.  (.The kids don't seem to mind)

We also have a spray mainly for quick reapplying or for when we're in a hurry to get back out there.  Again a Banana Boat 30+

#25 Leggy

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

I use a neutrogena face one as a daily moisturiser, but for I'm definitely-going-in-the-sun it's usually a toddler milk of some variety. I have to check the ingredients every time I buy a bottle because they change the formulations quite often, and if it has methoxycinnamate in it I come out in a rash.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win Coles Little Explorer nappies for your toddler

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Robbie Williams live tweets wife's labour

And the award for most patient woman in labour goes to ... Robbie Williams' wife, Ayda Field.

Vaccine ignorance is deadly and contagious

In the absence of credible, strong political leadership, paranoia about disease can go viral.

Parenting differently based on birth order

All children have unique personalities, but keeping birth order in mind could help when parenting.

How to get rid of the mum guilt

Motherhood and guilt seem to go hand in hand, but there are ways to focus

Paid parental leave scheme grinds to a halt

The future of Prime Minister Tony Abbott's paid parental leave scheme appears to be up in the air, despite the fact it is due to begin in less than nine months.

The devastation of foetal alcohol spectrum disorders

No one's sure how many Australians are affected by foetal alcohol spectrum disorders, but the consequences for those who are can be devastating.

The pros and cons of finding out the sex of your unborn baby

It’s often one of the biggest choices parents make during the course of their pregnancy; to find out, or not to find out, the sex of their baby before it’s born.

Toddler's awesome dress up month

Two-year-old Willow and her photographer mum, Gina Lee, made October "Dress Up Willow Month". She posted photos of Willow's costumes on her Instagram account, and her creative takes on popular culture are simply adorable.

Childhood around the world

It can be easy to assume our ideas around childhood are universal, but they are particular to where we live, as these practices show.

Best picks for baby and toddler shoes

Here's a great selection of footwear from pre-walker to walker ensuring comfort and style for growing feet.

I lost my wife and daughters to Ebola - then it came for my son

Sunday, September 21, is a day I will never forget.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss. It involves toilet talk, and probably caused my miscarriage. But it needs to be talked about.

Prenatal testing: the facts

Prenatal testing is done to check if a baby has certain medical conditions before birth. Here is some important information about what the tests are for and the risks involved.

5 things to do with your baby?s old clothes

Did you think your only option for your baby?s old clothes was to pack them away or give them to the Salvos? Think again.

Why it's possible to not realise you're pregnant until the baby arrives

After hearing about 'surprise babies' born to mums who didn't know they were pregnant, it's common to ask "how did she not realise?" But experts say it's entirely possible for it to happen.

'My miracle is finally here'

How has the world continued on its pace when mine has been altered so drastically?

Dairy can help older women fall pregnant: study

Ice cream may be the ultimate comfort food, but a study suggests it could also help older women to have children.

Megan Gale goes topless for 'sexiest people' cover

Six months after a heavily pregnant Megan Gale posed nude for Marie Claire, the glowing new mum has gone topless for the cover of another magazine.

A new perspective on life from living with two diseases

A mother shares her personal story about the difficulty of living with two conditions, one of which stops her from being able to see her daughter's face.

Warning about Children's Panadol dosage

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has issued a safety advisory warning parents about confusion when using the dosing syringe supplied with Children's Panadol.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Take 'The Coles Big Nappy Change' Challenge

You could become part of our Test Drive team and win one of 200 packs of Coles Little Explorer Nappies as part of our 5-day challenge.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Weird trend

'Why we called our daughter Wyatt'

Ashton Kutcher has spoken about how he and Mila Kunis chose their daughter's name - and why they've set up her social media accounts.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.