Is 'gastro' more common these days?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 FreeRangeMum

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:08 AM

When I was growing up we never got true 'gastro' (both ends, really unwell etc). Generally once every few years one of us would have a couple of spews, a bit of a rest, and then be fine. It rarely spread through the house, and was generally all over within 4-6 hours. Most people I've spoken to were the same. (Not rose-coloured glasses as I've checked with mum & dad lol).

The last 5-10 years I've noticed that gastro seems a lot more prevalent, severe and contagious. I have some friends who have it through their house several times each year, it is a more severe illness (ie. both ends for 24 hours +), and rips through the entire house within days.

It freaks me out as I'm a vomit phobic, which mum puts down to hardly ever been crook as a child.

So what do you think? And why? I've considered the widespread use of childcare, but my brother and I did go to full time daycare and still rarely got tummy bugs as a child....

#2 Oriental lily

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

Yes I think it is.

Not sure why though.

#3 lozoodle

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

I think it is because people don't seem to take it seriously. They think "oh it was just a bit of diarrhoea" and take their kid anyway. Kid then passes it onto everyone else who get it. But the problem is what is "just a runny poo" for one will be non stop vomiting for another. I think the way individuals are affected by a virus makes the difference.

Exclusion periods are a joke too. 24 hours is not long enough.

#4 brazen

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

yes, absolutely

i consider us lucky if we go more than 12 months without it. yet can't remember having it as a kid, not til i was 21yo!

#5 MrsLexiK

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:29 AM

I don't, I think it is the way each family/person deals with it and what they are suspectable to.  I have had gastero once in my life and food posioning once.  My sister had it much more often then that. I remember a neighbour being admitted to hospital because of it.  I think my neice and nephew have had it once or twice but then I have another neice who has had it so many times (yet her brother hasn't)

#6 JRA

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

I must admit having never had it as children, and my son never has had it, it continues to shock me the number of people on EB who have children that seem to have gastro.

#7 lozoodle

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

I think a lot comes down to hygeine etc too.

The kids seem to get it more often (both have had it twice, second time quite mild) from daycare and I think in that sort of environment its hard to control because kids are there when they shouldn't be, and it gets passed on that way.

But I've only had it once that I can remember as an adult, and even when DP had a shocking dose of it, I didn't get it off him because I was super careful and just refused to be anywhere near him. It can be more difficult when its your kids who have it because you are physically touching the vomit and dealing with nappies etc, so if you aren't super careful its really easy to get it.

#8 zande

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:31 AM

It certainly seems to be yet it's only hit our house once in my kids' lives and only one DD got it (the other DD hadn't been born yet LOL) but myself and my DH didn't get it. It was over in 24 hours at most and we've never had it in the house again. My DDs are 9 and 6, DD1 was 2.5yo when she had it.

Yet I know of families that get it again and again and like you say OP it goes through the whole family and it's a few day-long event.

#9 PrincessPeach

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

I think it is & it seems to be a combination of people not taking it seriously enough & having very poor hygene.

#10 FrogIsAFrogIsAFrog

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

I'm almost too nervous to post in this thread and possibly tempt fate  cool.gif !! We've had a pretty lucky run, with 11 and 7 year old children, I reckon they've been pretty lucky.  There are several families I know who just keep on being affected by it, though.  One of my friends ended up refusing to go to the public pool or play cafe when the girls were younger, because her daughter would always end up with gastro.  

I'm not sure if it's more common, but it does seem to affect some families more than others, and I have no idea why.

#11 ~sydblue~

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

The kids I know who get it the most often, and the worst. Are the ones whose parents are either germphobic or never let their kids get dirty.
DD8 has had it twice, DD13 once. In DD8's case, we were not even sure it was gastro. It was only the vomiting and a headache. So now we know she is prone to food induced migraines, we are thinking that is what it was then.

#12 Excentrique

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

When i was a kid I threw up twice and it was over in 6hrs.

When my kids caught it last year, they were both sick for several days. It was horrible.

#13 HollyOllyOxenfree

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

It's possible. DS has had one bout of gastro and it was pretty awful, but DH and I didn't get it even though we were cleaning up his nappies and vomit. I've worked in childcare and cleaned up kids who have vomited or had diarrhoea and then been sent home to be sick for days, and I've literally never had it. DH got sick when I was 38 weeks pregnant and I didn't get it. So I think part of it is that some people are more susceptible than others.

I do wonder if it's because of an obsession with cleanliness and antibacterial washes and things. We're clean in this house, and obviously wash our hands after toileting, changing nappies and before eating, but I also don't stress if DS drops some food on the floor and I quickly pick it up and let him eat it. Others I know go dettol and antibacterial hand stuff crazy and their kids seem to be sick every second week. Immunity needs to come from somewhere, and being overly clean all the time seems like a bad thing to me.

Edited to add a line I forgot

Edited by HollyOllyOxenfree, 10 January 2013 - 09:41 AM.

#14 shelly1

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

I think its the use of daycare. Daycare centres werent around when I was younger. I didnt get gastro until DD1 started daycare in 2005 when I was a grown adult. I remember having food poisoning from a frozen pizza when I was younger but thats about it

#15 Julie3Girls

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

Maybe more common, due to a lot of families having 2 working parents, and send their kids back to school/daycare earlier than they should.

But I wouldn't say it is always worse than it used to be.  I do know there are people who have dealt with really bad cases, to the point of having to take a child to hospital for dehydration.   But there are lot more who have had very mild cases, or even a case of having another illness which upsets their tummy a little and the child throws up and the parent is declaring "Gastro!"

I have 3 kids, age 11, 9 and 6. And only had one severe case of gastro (non-stop vomitting for 12 hours). Yes, it went through all 3 girls.

Every other time, it has been very low key. Throwing up maybe once or twice. Maybe some icky poos. Nothing major.
The problem is, so many other kids have something really mild like this, and the parents don't take it seriously enough to take time off work. So the kids head back to school, and spread it around.

Edited by Julie3Girls, 10 January 2013 - 09:41 AM.

#16 netballgirls

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

We've also had a pretty lucky run my kids are both teenagers and I think they've probably had it once each at different times.

Last time that I had it was 15 years ago, it was awful dh and dd1 (baby) had it of course I had to look after myself and dd because dh was too sick.

Now when I feel a little bit of queezyness coming on I have a glass of water with a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar - the queeziness never seems to eventuate into anything else. dd1 was complaining of queeziness the other night, I told her to get the apple cider vinegar out, she was fine in the morning. It seems as though it is really going around at the moment.

#17 Expelliarmus

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

I have never had it and neither have my kids. There's been a few vomit days and a couple sloppy poos, but gastroenteritis, nope, never.

I am a bit like JRA and am a bit shocked by the prevalence.

#18 .Jerry.

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

QUOTE (JRA @ 10/01/2013, 09:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I must admit having never had it as children, and my son never has had it, it continues to shock me the number of people on EB who have children that seem to have gastro.

I'm the same.  I don't remember having "gastro" as a child and I only remember one bout of vomiting and diarrhoea as an adult (though I didn't label it gastro at the time).  Molly has never had "gastro" and has vomited once or twice in her life.
I am always shocked at the amount of people on here that say they or their children have gastro.  

I don't know if it is more common or not.  Perhaps more people label a bit of vomiting as "gastro" or perhaps we are better at notifying about illness.

#19 Alina0210

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

Depends on the household I think...  I don't think my family has ever gotten gastro... Buoil friends families it spreads quickly... Weird

#20 Fluster

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:56 AM

I remember having it a couple of times as a child, and I've had it a few times since my son (now eleven) was born.  My son has also had food poisoning and giardia.  His hygiene is abysmal, though.

It hasn't been day care centres where we've picked it up - it's been indoor play centres and hospitals.  Less than 24 hours after taking my son into emergency for a late Sunday night for removal of a tick, he and I were appallingly ill.  I will never again let a strange child climb into my lap (I was reading my son a book I'd bought from home, and he wanted to join in) in a hospital.

#21 I predict a riot

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

I had it once as a child, twice as an adult.

Kids have had it once.

IS it more common? Or is it that we NOW put a name to what (when I was a kid) was passed off as an upset tummy, just a bit of runny poo...  

Also with some people I think any vomit or diarrhoea is automatically gastro - when it could just be bad reaction to food.  Like some people will turn cough and runny nose into the flu when all they have is a cold.

If it is more common I also believe it could be a lack of immunity due to our phobia of any germs.

I am not sure if it is because people are out sooner with symptoms when they should be resting, I think we (generally, there will always be exceptions) are more aware NOW of the need for exclusion times and these are also more enforced than they once were.

#22 Chchgirl

QUOTE (shelly1 @ 10/01/2013, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think its the use of daycare. Daycare centres werent around when I was younger. I didnt get gastro until DD1 started daycare in 2005 when I was a grown adult. I remember having food poisoning from a frozen pizza when I was younger but thats about it

I think the same. When we grew up in the 70's as kids, we had no daycare (my mum still worked, my parents were both shiftworkers so there was always someone home)..we didn't have anyone around really except cousins and didn't do playdates like now, we didn't go to friend's houses till we were teens..

I had to stop working in daycare after three years (after retraining as a mature aged student) as my family was constantly sick and the long hours and bad pay combined were not worth it..

#23 BobTony

I think it's actually less common where I live after the sewer got put in 20+ years ago.

#24 mm1981

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

My 3 year old and 1 year old have never had gastro. Neither have I, nor DH in the time I have known him.
It can't be hygine. Although I always wash my hands after nappy changes and using the toilet, the same cannot be said for my 3 year old who quite often takes himself off to the toilet and returns to play without me noticing, despite my best efforts to get him to wash his hands.
And they almost never wash their hands before eating. Neither do I  or anyone I know. Obviously I don't know any EBers. If our hands are filthy they will get washed.

#25 credence

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

It's got to be that there are a lot more indoor, airconditioned spaces that people congregate.

More of us work in offices, there are more large shopping centres, more children go to daycare etc.

I remember spending a lot more time outdoors as a child. I also don't recall ever spending time in airconditioning.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.