Horse Questions
Planning on becoming a first time horse owner

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Just_Keep_Swimming

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

Hi everyone,

DH and I are planning on moving to acreage and would love to get horses.

We are experienced riders, however we do not know a lot about keeping a horse or what to look for when buying a horse (breed, temperament etc.) as we have only ever gone on tour rides.

If you own horses or have owned a horse before, could you please provide me with all the knowledge you know. That would be greatly appreciated.

Also what do you feed it, are there special foods and vitamins they need, how often do you need to change their shoes, do you need to get a blacksmith in or can you learn to do this yourself. I understand the upkeep of a horse can be quite expensive also.

I am really frazzled and would love to know all that is involved prior to making the decision about getting horses.

Thanks heaps :-)

#2 lishermide

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

Firstly, I'd suggest finding someone knowledgeable who can help you with horse selection. There's lots to check for when buying a horse. With tour riding experience only, I'd suggest something quiet, a little older (over 10 yrs). Perhaps a quarter horse, stock horse type.

Feeding will depend on what your paddocks are like and what amount of riding you plan to do. Our horses are on a mixture of Lucerne hay and hard feed, twice daily for average use (a few rides per week).it really will depend on the horse.

Farrier, about every 6 weeks. You can learnto trim them yourself if you're not planning on them being shod. Worming paste every 6 weeks too.

There is an awful lot involved with owning horses, but its worth every bit original.gif

#3 Chief Pancake Make

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

It depends what you want to do with the horse.  
Do you want to compete with it, do dressage/showjumping/campdrafting or just ttrail rides or around your farm?

How much acreage are you planning on getting on what quality of land, in a high/low rainfall area?  this will determine if you will need to feed it extra.  Also if you are doing a large amount of work/competing you may need extra food.

If you are just riding around ther paddock on weekends you would probably get away with not having it shod as long as its feet were regularly trimmed (which is easy to do yourself) if you are competing or riding on hard road it would need to be shod - best left to the proffessionals  - if you stuff it up you can permanently damage the horse.

What sort of horse you get ultimately depends on your budget - you could get a quiet horse for just riding around your farm for $1500 or my brother sells his especially bred/trained campdraft horses for $15000.

If you do decide to buy a horse take some one experienced with you - make sure you get to ride it for a good length of time and you can handle it, ideally you should take it on trial for 1-2 weeks (thats what we always did)

#4 JRA

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:20 AM

QUOTE (Son_LightOfMyLife @ 10/01/2013, 08:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi everyone,

DH and I are planning on moving to acreage and would love to get horses.

We are experienced riders, however we do not know a lot about keeping a horse or what to look for when buying a horse (breed, temperament etc.) as we have only ever gone on tour rides.

If you own horses or have owned a horse before, could you please provide me with all the knowledge you know. That would be greatly appreciated.

Also what do you feed it, are there special foods and vitamins they need, how often do you need to change their shoes, do you need to get a blacksmith in or can you learn to do this yourself. I understand the upkeep of a horse can be quite expensive also.

I am really frazzled and would love to know all that is involved prior to making the decision about getting horses.

Firstly, I am not sure about being experienced riders, if you have only been on tour rides. That seems odd.

Buying and managing a horse is a huge thing, and not something you can learn from a couple of posts on a forum, and to provide "all the knowledge" is unrealistic, and to be fair worries me that you think it is that simple. I have seen to many people move to "acreage" and buy a horse or two and then have no idea and just leave them.

As others have said there are so many things to think about. First, how experienced rider are you really? What do you want to do with the horse/s? How much time have you got to spend with the horse/s? How much acreage are you really buying? Five acres or fifty acres. The amount of space, the quality of grass they are on, what you are doing with them, their breed will affect if you need to give them any hard feed.

Your level of experience will affect what you should buy. If you have only ridden on tour rides, that is unlikely to put you in an experienced category. So you would need something quiet, and fairly bomb proof.

Good luck.

#5 countrychic29

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

Hi OP,

How exciting, owning a horse is such a pleasure.
A great place to start might be a horse forum, not sure where you are but www.vichorse.com is victorias one.
As PP's there is a lot to consider when owning a horse, will you have enough acreage to rotate paddocks with enough feed? in winter you will more than likely need to supplement their diet with hard feed.
Also farrier and dentist (once yearly) are a must (unless you trim their feet yourself), if you plan on riding on roads add the cost of horse shoes.
Up to you but you may choose to rug your horse depending on where you live, more $$
Keep in mind that if you are going away on holidays you will need someone to check on horse with feed and water.
There are some great secondhand stores or deals you can get on saddles/bridles etc
Also be aware that vet bills are expensive ... you may not need the vet but callout rates might be $75 before the vet even gets to your place. We often pay upwards of $200 by the time he has left.

More often than not when you start out the horse is the cheapest item original.gif (my first pony 20 yrs ago was $350 - the saddle we got was $900)
Oh and take someone experienced with you to look at horse, most sellers are honest, but i have come across a few dealers and also drugged horses in my time.
Also if you can get involved with your local Adult riding club, as they will be able to teach as much about riding as also caring for you horse
Good luck and happy riding.

#6 Just_Keep_Swimming

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

QUOTE (lishermide @ 10/01/2013, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Firstly, I'd suggest finding someone knowledgeable who can help you with horse selection. There's lots to check for when buying a horse. With tour riding experience only, I'd suggest something quiet, a little older (over 10 yrs). Perhaps a quarter horse, stock horse type.

Feeding will depend on what your paddocks are like and what amount of riding you plan to do. Our horses are on a mixture of Lucerne hay and hard feed, twice daily for average use (a few rides per week).it really will depend on the horse.

Farrier, about every 6 weeks. You can learnto trim them yourself if you're not planning on them being shod. Worming paste every 6 weeks too.

There is an awful lot involved with owning horses, but its worth every bit original.gif

QUOTE (Chief Pancake Make @ 10/01/2013, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It depends what you want to do with the horse.  
Do you want to compete with it, do dressage/showjumping/campdrafting or just ttrail rides or around your farm?

How much acreage are you planning on getting on what quality of land, in a high/low rainfall area?  this will determine if you will need to feed it extra.  Also if you are doing a large amount of work/competing you may need extra food.

If you are just riding around ther paddock on weekends you would probably get away with not having it shod as long as its feet were regularly trimmed (which is easy to do yourself) if you are competing or riding on hard road it would need to be shod - best left to the proffessionals  - if you stuff it up you can permanently damage the horse.

What sort of horse you get ultimately depends on your budget - you could get a quiet horse for just riding around your farm for $1500 or my brother sells his especially bred/trained campdraft horses for $15000.

If you do decide to buy a horse take some one experienced with you - make sure you get to ride it for a good length of time and you can handle it, ideally you should take it on trial for 1-2 weeks (thats what we always did)

We just want the horses for riding around the farm we are planning on getting about 200 acres. Riding is so peaceful. Thanks for the info

QUOTE (JRA @ 10/01/2013, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Firstly, I am not sure about being experienced riders, if you have only been on tour rides. That seems odd.

Buying and managing a horse is a huge thing, and not something you can learn from a couple of posts on a forum, and to provide "all the knowledge" is unrealistic, and to be fair worries me that you think it is that simple. I have seen to many people move to "acreage" and buy a horse or two and then have no idea and just leave them.

As others have said there are so many things to think about. First, how experienced rider are you really? What do you want to do with the horse/s? How much time have you got to spend with the horse/s? How much acreage are you really buying? Five acres or fifty acres. The amount of space, the quality of grass they are on, what you are doing with them, their breed will affect if you need to give them any hard feed.

Your level of experience will affect what you should buy. If you have only ridden on tour rides, that is unlikely to put you in an experienced category. So you would need something quiet, and fairly bomb proof.

Good luck.

DH has only every been on tour rides. Growing up I went on weekly riding tours with my family. My Uncle also had a farm where he had horses and I would go out there a few times a year. So compared to other people I do have experience.
I am not trying to get all the advice from EB. I am just trying to obtain people's experiences with horses to give me a fair idea prior to finding a professional to get advice from. I don't see how this needs to worry you.
I have experience in all other aspects of farming more with cattle, sheep and wheat but not so much horses so I understand the amount of hard work and effort needed and I am up for it. There is absolutely no way I would leave my animals once I have them whether it would be a horse or a guinea pig. And quite frankly I am offended you had to quote that in your post.

#7 Just_Keep_Swimming

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

QUOTE (countrychic29 @ 10/01/2013, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi OP,

How exciting, owning a horse is such a pleasure.
A great place to start might be a horse forum, not sure where you are but www.vichorse.com is victorias one.
As PP's there is a lot to consider when owning a horse, will you have enough acreage to rotate paddocks with enough feed? in winter you will more than likely need to supplement their diet with hard feed.
Also farrier and dentist (once yearly) are a must (unless you trim their feet yourself), if you plan on riding on roads add the cost of horse shoes.
Up to you but you may choose to rug your horse depending on where you live, more $$
Keep in mind that if you are going away on holidays you will need someone to check on horse with feed and water.
There are some great secondhand stores or deals you can get on saddles/bridles etc
Also be aware that vet bills are expensive ... you may not need the vet but callout rates might be $75 before the vet even gets to your place. We often pay upwards of $200 by the time he has left.

More often than not when you start out the horse is the cheapest item original.gif (my first pony 20 yrs ago was $350 - the saddle we got was $900)
Oh and take someone experienced with you to look at horse, most sellers are honest, but i have come across a few dealers and also drugged horses in my time.
Also if you can get involved with your local Adult riding club, as they will be able to teach as much about riding as also caring for you horse
Good luck and happy riding.

Thanks heaps, that is really helpful. I might check out some adult riding clubs in my area :-)

#8 walkingFish

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

Hi OP,

There has been some good advice by previous posters and I would second the idea of joining a club in the area. It would give you access to invaluable knowledge and support. If you don't know anyone that could assist with finding the perfect horse then it might be worth considering checking out a local club first. They may be able to give you some leads on possible horses etc that would be suitable.

I would also be careful as categorising yourselves as experienced riders when enquiring about horses to buy etc. I don't say this to try and cause offense - just that within horse circles the term generally used to mean someone with a very high level of experience in most/all aspects of horsemanship and could lead to inappropriate horses getting suggested.

It sounds like you are taking a sensible approach by finding out exactly what is required day to day prior to getting the horses. Talking to the local vet could also give you a good idea of the regular maintenance costs to expect (worming etc) too.

I would plan at least initially to get a farrier even if you decide they only need trimming. That way you can get a chance to see how it is done etc before trying it yourself. As said previously, I would get a farrier in all cases for shoes.

In short my advice would be to get background info (as you are doing) on the expected cost and time commitment to make sure owning horses is for you. Then make sure you find some people who can provide support to find suitable mounts and help you fill in any gaps on how to care for them once you have them. And finally, don't be afraid to ask questions if you are unsure about anything.

I hope you have many happy rides to come  original.gif

#9 JRA

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

QUOTE (Son_LightOfMyLife @ 10/01/2013, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We just want the horses for riding around the farm we are planning on getting about 200 acres. Riding is so peaceful. Thanks for the info

DH has only every been on tour rides. Growing up I went on weekly riding tours with my family. My Uncle also had a farm where he had horses and I would go out there a few times a year. So compared to other people I do have experience.
I am not trying to get all the advice from EB. I am just trying to obtain people's experiences with horses to give me a fair idea prior to finding a professional to get advice from. I don't see how this needs to worry you.
I have experience in all other aspects of farming more with cattle, sheep and wheat but not so much horses so I understand the amount of hard work and effort needed and I am up for it. There is absolutely no way I would leave my animals once I have them whether it would be a horse or a guinea pig. And quite frankly I am offended you had to quote that in your post.

I did not mean to insult you, but as walking fish said, from what you have said on no way would you be classed as experienced, and classing yourself as such may lead to some very bad results

As for not sure why it worry me, if you had seen what I have seen from
People buying "acreage" and talking about 5 acres and what they do, you would understand.

You have now said you have had experience running a farm with big animals, that makes it very different.

#10 Just_Keep_Swimming

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE (walkingFish @ 10/01/2013, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi OP,

There has been some good advice by previous posters and I would second the idea of joining a club in the area. It would give you access to invaluable knowledge and support. If you don't know anyone that could assist with finding the perfect horse then it might be worth considering checking out a local club first. They may be able to give you some leads on possible horses etc that would be suitable.

I would also be careful as categorising yourselves as experienced riders when enquiring about horses to buy etc. I don't say this to try and cause offense - just that within horse circles the term generally used to mean someone with a very high level of experience in most/all aspects of horsemanship and could lead to inappropriate horses getting suggested.

It sounds like you are taking a sensible approach by finding out exactly what is required day to day prior to getting the horses. Talking to the local vet could also give you a good idea of the regular maintenance costs to expect (worming etc) too.

I would plan at least initially to get a farrier even if you decide they only need trimming. That way you can get a chance to see how it is done etc before trying it yourself. As said previously, I would get a farrier in all cases for shoes.

In short my advice would be to get background info (as you are doing) on the expected cost and time commitment to make sure owning horses is for you. Then make sure you find some people who can provide support to find suitable mounts and help you fill in any gaps on how to care for them once you have them. And finally, don't be afraid to ask questions if you are unsure about anything.

I hope you have many happy rides to come  original.gif

Great advice, thanks. I think I will go for an older horse that has been used to train people to ride. As I hope to one day in the future be able to teach my DS to ride. Do you have any suggestions on breed or age?

QUOTE (JRA @ 10/01/2013, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I did not mean to insult you, but as walking fish said, from what you have said on no way would you be classed as experienced, and classing yourself as such may lead to some very bad results

As for not sure why it worry me, if you had seen what I have seen from
People buying "acreage" and talking about 5 acres and what they do, you would understand.

You have now said you have had experience running a farm with big animals, that makes it very different.

You see I did not know that there were different types of experiences when it comes to horse riding and that is one thing that I have learnt from EB. I would be confident enough to get on a young fast horse but perhaps according to experts my experience "from a safety" point of view is not adequate enough. And I accept that.
However regardless of my experience I want a gentle horse preferably a horse that was used for training first time riders as I would like to eventually teach my DS to ride. Plus my sister loves horse riding and has almost no experience and I would love for her to be able to go for a ride when she visits.
I get what you are saying, there are people like that who love the fantasy of a horse but when it comes to the reality of owning one they cannot handle it and they give up by abandoning the poor things. I have seen plenty of that through the RSPCA. But I can assure you that is not me and definitely not my DH.

#11 The Old Feral

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

It's also really important to learn to handle horses on the ground before you get one. I learned this the hard way as a teenager!

Being a competent rider is one thing but are you comfortable walking up to a horse in a paddock, leading them in and safely tying them up, grooming, tacking up, checking feet for stones? Do you know how to make a horse back up if it stands on your foot? (yep, voice of experience there again! tongue.gif)

And you want a horse that is happy to stand quietly and have all that stuff done to it... that's probably even more important than how easy they are to ride.

As for breed and size, I wouldn't worry too much about breed, most horses in the starter price range will not be purebred or even recognisable half bred. I would steer clear of thoroughbreds as they are more likely to be skittish. Size wise 15 - 16hh, if you are smaller people it'd be worth looking out for a stockier type with some pony blood at the bottom of that height range, more likely to be physically hardy (less supplementary feeding and rugging in winter) and better for your DS down the track. As a pp said, quarter and stock horses are lovely too, moderate size and generally a nice temper if they've been kept well.

But as others have said, there are a lot of potential pitfalls for the newbie and you would be best to find yourself a mentor to take you through this. I would suggest always under, rather than overstating your ability and experience, if you have only ridden dependable farm and trail animals you perhaps don't realise just how full on an 'experienced rider only' horse can be.... it would be disastrous for you.

Best of luck original.gif

ETA I saw you asked about age too. Horses are considered young until they're 8 or so, so I suggest you consider that your minimum. If you want an ex riding school horse, well most wouldn't retire until their late teens.

Edited by The Old Bag, 10 January 2013 - 10:02 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.