Who should park in Parents with Prams parks?

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#1 Justaduck

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

Over the past year I know they are not legally enforcable and a lot of people don't like them, whether you think they are right or wrong...who do you think is entitled to park in them?

Over the past year I have seen...parents using a pram/stroller with their child, parents using a carrier and child (but no pram), parent using just the shopping trolley, but with a child in a car seat, parent with child who would be no less than 6 or 7 yrs old and people on their own.

I personally like them because they are wider and I it is almost guaranteed that I will have room to open the door to get DD out (even if someone parks on or a little over the line), and I have room to have her stroller next to the car as opposed to sitting at the boot. I would still use them if they were in the furthest parks away from the entrance, as long as they were that bit wider.

#2 niggles

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

Nobody. They should get rid of them. If I need more room I can park at the far end next to an empty bay.

#3 jo-v

I think they're ideally for people with babies/toddlers that are not old enough to walk. I have a 4 yr old and a 2 yr old and wouldn't park in one now as my kids are fine to walk from further away and we rarely use the buggy anymore.

Wouldn't bother me if someone parked in one and then put the child in a trolley/carrier instead of a buggy/pram, that's just personal choice.

#4 Feral Grey Mare

Having successfully managed my two kids in the dark ages before pram parking was around I am sorely tempted to park in them to make up for what I missed out on.

#5 UpsyDaisy

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

Parents or carer's with children/adults with disability parking permits that can't get a disability park  ph34r.gif My bad ph34r.gif

#6 Expelliarmus

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

Meh, those parks are not all that ...

#7 jojonbeanie

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

They should be means tested. If you have lots of disposable income you are able to spend at the shops then you should get the best parking.

#8 poss71

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:47 PM

QUOTE (jojonbeanie @ 10/01/2013, 12:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They should be means tested. If you have lots of disposable income you are able to spend at the shops then you should get the best parking.

They are!

Where I used to live, the nearest shopping centre had about a hundred PWP parking spaces. Where I live now, the nearest centre has the same number or more of seniors spaces.  It's all about getting the local demographic of big spenders into the centre.

#9 BlueUnicorn

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

Parents of young kids.  

I like them for the safety aspect.  With one hand on the pram and one on my 3yo I am more comfortable that my 4 yo doesn't have to cross a road without being held. I also like that they seem to be bigger so I can get in and out of the car easier.  It doesn't bother me if the child is in a trolley, carrier or pram, but I get annoyed at people whe have no kids with them parking there.

ETA, except at one of our shops it's a 'parents with prams and seniors' park which I think is also a good idea.

Edited by BlueUnicorn, 09 January 2013 - 11:51 PM.

#10 *lightning

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:57 PM

I think anyone who needs to be close to the entrance. I have recently used one of these spots due to my DS2 getting a bit big for the pram and hating being in it. DS2 is autistic and loves wheels that spin, he will got straight for cars in motion focusing on the spinning wheels.

I think these spots are so parents can safely get their children to the door.

#11 niggles

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

I think those spots are a marketing gimmick.

Not that I don't understand why some find them convenient but I have trouble believing that's why they are there.

#12 Bam1

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:16 AM

Anyone who happens to drive past and needs a parking spot. If they should be used by people who actually need them then they should be turned into disability parks.

#13 76 feral others

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:53 AM

I parked in one yesterday.  My kids are 7 and 11. They weren't with me. There was 5 and they were all free. It's not illegal. It's a gimmick and have caused that much self entitlement that it's disgusting. If one if free, I will park in it.

So many threads on here about it and posts about people fighting over them. I remember one story from here where someone went off at an elderly person afor parking in one and one very lovely person complain that sone of her shops pwp were turning into disabled spots.

Seriously, how DID people shop before?

Edited by Gloriosa, 10 January 2013 - 12:54 AM.

#14 protart roflcoptor

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:53 AM

Oh Gawd.

Can we please get a sticky thread on the following topics;
PwP parking
Disabled/accessible toilets
Ear piercing of under 8yos
Why are there so many bullies on a parenting forum, everyone should be nicer to each other.

Would save much repetition.

#15 vitaechel

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:21 AM

Usually I avoid these threads (and the above listed ones too) as they just end in nastiness, BUT... At the nearby grocery store (and a few of the baby stores) here in US they have parent parking next to the trolley store in carpark. Now that is a brilliant idea! I park my 3yo DS in trolley in the trolley park while I put DD in car. He is safer as he is not rolling around carpark (or having me jam my foot under the wheels and reach into car at the same time). I really don't care about the distance I have to walk to the store and my 3yo is more than capable of walking any carpark distance. But safety - now that is a parent carpark worth having. Oh and it also allows a bit more room to put both in carseats - most cars here are huge and my lil station wagon is usually squeezed in.

In Australia I really only used parent parking as the spaces were a bit wider and it meant I wouldn't accidentally dent the next car trying to get my kicking, screaming DS in the car. I thought of it as a service to all those who complain about irresponsible people who leave scratches on their cars...  wwhistle.gif wink.gif dev (6).gif

#16 Burro

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:56 AM

QUOTE (ossim roflcopter @ 10/01/2013, 01:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh Gawd.

Can we please get a sticky thread on the following topics;
PwP parking
Disabled/accessible toilets
Ear piercing of under 8yos
Why are there so many bullies on a parenting forum, everyone should be nicer to each other.

Would save much repetition.

Why did you open up the thread and read it? Ive been a member for a while and ive never read a topic on this before i also think about this issue everytime i park in one with a toddler and no pram. The only thing i get bored of is old members moaning that everythings been discussed before. Of course it has if you spend hours and hours a week for years on end on eb.

If this is frustrating you, move on.

#17 71Cath

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:09 AM

QUOTE (Old Grey Mare @ 10/01/2013, 12:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Having successfully managed my two kids in the dark ages before pram parking was around I am sorely tempted to park in them to make up for what I missed out on.

biggrin.gif

#18 FiveAus

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:09 AM

QUOTE (Old Grey Mare @ 10/01/2013, 12:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Same, same. And we need to work out how we can get our hands on that missing Baby Bonus.

#19 mumto4boys

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:18 AM

QUOTE (niggles @ 09/01/2013, 11:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nobody. They should get rid of them. If I need more room I can park at the far end next to an empty bay.

This. As a parent that managed 4 kids under six without special parking.

I have no issues with disabled parking and seniors parking though.

#20 Carmen02

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:21 AM

I dont really care who parks in them i think seniors should be parking in them more often, i actually told a senior one day that he parked in there (he asked me what the symbol on the spot meant) and he was going to move his car and i told him to stay he deserves the spot more then someone who is alot younger then he is. I do park in those spots mostly due to DS2 being autisitc and a runner he is quite dangerous in a car park so the sooner we are out of it the better

#21 mumto4boys

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:23 AM

QUOTE (FiveAus @ 10/01/2013, 05:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Same, same. And we need to work out how we can get our hands on that missing Baby Bonus.

LOL yes!

As long as I don't have to go through pregnancy and birth again, let alone all those years of supervising homework.

I don't know how we managed without paid maternity leave either.  wink.gif

#22 Mpjp is feral

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:40 AM

Where I live they are clearly an unpopular concept as I don't think I have EVER seen a car parked I'm them that has a child seat in the car!!!

#23 copham

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:00 AM

Where I live they actually fine you if you park in them if you don't have a baby seat in your car. We have post office parking (10 minute max), seniors and disabled parking and PWP parking. First time you are parked in the "wrong" spot you get a notice that they took your rego then afterwards if you do it again you get fined.

It's listed on the car park entry rules that the PWP parking is for parents with children 4 and under, and they physically have someone there everyday to do the rounds. I don't understand why you would need special spots I don't, I get DS out of the car and place him in a pram or carry him into the shops to get a trolley or kidicoup thing you can rent original.gif

I would happily give up my spot for an elderly driver who wasn't disabled here is me an able bodied young mother compared to someone who is frail or needs the spot closer as they can't walk as far. I say put the spots furtherest away from the shops and see how many parents use them then.

#24 Diana_Barry

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:02 AM

I like them  tongue.gif

I park there with my DS (almost 2) because it's easier to get him in and out & shorter wrangling through the "danger zone" - dark underground car park with cars moving in all directions and a strong & heavy willful toddler who likes to run off. I usually don't take my pram when supermarket shopping, when we get inside I put him in the trolley, and the trolley comes back to the car with us.

I don't really get the fury about them, but then where I shop there is usually ample disabled/seniors parking that sits there empty.

Young kids are vulnerable around cars. I have no problem walking a longer distance on my own, but I appreciate not having to carry, lead or push my small child past a heap of cars trying to back out.

#25 feral fembo bull

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:17 AM

I don't have kids (and, sadly, won't now). I have no problems with PWP spots -- if you have small active children (particularly more than you are able to hold on to at any given time) then I am more than happy not to have them as an added hazard while negotiating for a parking space. I choose to see PWP spots as a service to everyone biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

An open letter to Tony Abbott: please salvage our super

We face financial ruin, but most of us don?t realise it. If we don?t act together to salvage our superannuation, I have no doubt the new GFC will be the Girls? Financial Crisis.

'I'm happy to know I'm changing lives': surrogate mum of two

I know that once the baby is born, I will focus on the gift I have given, and watch the parents with their new child. I can't wait for that day.

Birth trauma and the issue of informed consent

There is a perception that women should just be happy they have a healthy baby in their arms. But for women who experienced birth trauma, there's a lot more to it.

Tips for managing pollen allergies and hayfever

They're simple tips, but they can have a big impact on those who suffer from hayfever and pollen allergies.

Ada Nicodemou shares tribute to her stillborn baby

Just over one month since Ada Nicodemou and her husband lost their second son, the Home and Away star has shared a touching poem for her baby.

Mum causes stir breastfeeding on train

?To the woman breastfeeding her kid on the train. Seriously! On the train?" began the letter of complaint.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

Tales from the homefront

When you're at work you sort of assume that your house is basically just sitting there quietly doing nothing until you return. However, since spending my days at home, I've learned this couldn't be further from the truth.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Baby survives five days alone

He lay with his mother for up to five days after she died of a suspected drug overdose - and survived.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.