Hoping for the best

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 lovepink

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

We are Ttc #1 and this is our first month of trying. Dh and I have had sex every day since my period finished and I should be ovulating this week. We will keep having sex until the day before my period is due. We want a baby and pregnancy so badly ... Im just really really hoping this is it. I know people say it takes time but I really want this to happen now for us. Im becoming very impatient already and really we've just started - i just want to know or not if its happening.

Sorry, maybe this should of been in venting? Just needed to say how O feel.

#2 TinyTeddys

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

Good luck!!

You might find if you BD that much you'll be exhausted. Once you have ovulated the egg will only be alive for two-ish days so there is no point to keep BDing (unless for fun  wink.gif )
Are you temping as well?

Edited by TinyTeddys, 09 January 2013 - 09:41 PM.

#3 lovepink

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

hi thanks for replying original.gif

We wanted to take a more relaxed approach to it to start with so jot temping or any of that - just have a rough idea when ovulation is and then making sure we have sex around then!

#4 rosiebird

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

That's your idea of a relaxed approach!! You must have more energy than me!

#5 domestically~challenged

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

Going by your OP I think the relaxed approach is already out the window laughing2.gif

Good luck.

#6 HappyLife

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

Whoa, you & DH must have oodles of energy! I'd probably suggest cutting back to every second day, to avoid exhaustion, and to give spermies time to replenish properly. But saying that, we BD'd each of the four days leading up to o this month!    

As tiny teddies said, not much point in BD after O, but as you're not testing or temping (I'm not either), then maybe if you think you may have O'd, BD every second day before AF in case you were wrong. Sperm can live inside you up to 5 days in the right conditions, so every 2nd day is still good original.gif

I'd suggest tracking some symptoms either in a phone app, or with a fertility friend account (free), in case this isn't your month, so you can get to know the signs & improve chances in following months. It also gives you something else to focus on!

Good luck!

#7 Zanbam

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

Good luck LovePink - this is our first cycle of trying as well and while my DH and I don't have your stamina I am also really hoping for a golden eagle (is that even a term???) but am "taking a relaxed approach". biggrin.gif

#8 Gemcat

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE (Zanbam @ 10/01/2013, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... I am also really hoping for a golden eagle (is that even a term???)

If it's not, it should be. I love it! Sadly, I didn't get one but FX for you.

#9 lovepink

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

AF came today sad.gif Wasnt due until Saturday. I feel very disappointed. We had sex on all the important days and no success sad.gif I feel like theres something wrong with me, even though it was our first go at ttc #1. How do people seem to fall prehnant accidentally quite commonly? Sorry for this vent. Just need to say how Im feeling sad.gif

#10 madammuck

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

Oh OP, I'm so sorry this month didn't work out for you. It's so normal to be devastated when AF arrives, but it's also important for you to keep your chin up and stay positive, this could be a tricky journey for you if you don't.

It's funny, you always hear of people conceiving after their first month of trying, or conceiving having not tried at all, but you never hear of people who conceived after trying for an average amount of time like 6 months or more. These stories are far less interesting! But also a much better representation of a realistic situation.

Have you been to chat with a GP yet? It sounds like you're feeling like the situation is a bit out of your control. To be fair, there's not much in life that's any more out of your control than TTC, but I found talking to a GP and really finding out as much info as possible about the whole process helped me to feel less helpless.

Good luck, and please do keep looking forward. This is your adventure, don't base it on anyone else's.

#11 lovepink

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

Thanks so much madammuck, your reply really means a lot to me.

True what you say about the stories you hear ... I will try and keep that in mind.

#12 Bwok~Bwok

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

Ok you need to take a step back and breathe... You are putting too much pressure on yourself (and your DH).

I think you have been focusing too much on those that have fallen pg first go and not looking at the 'real' picture where it can take a few months to fall pg.

With the amount of pressure you are putting on yourself in wanting it now - you will be a mess in few months. The joy of being intimate with your DH in the hope of having a baby should be where you are atm.

But if you keep up the amount of Bd'ing you have been doing, he will also start to feel the pressure - also you aren't allowing the sperm to get a good build up. Ideally Bd'ing should happen around 36 to 48 hours around O.

Go easy on yourself and your DH and 'enjoy' it - because when it starts feeling like a 'chore', it's not nice!

Edited by Bwok~Bwok, 25 January 2013 - 09:07 AM.

#13 Iliketoflounce

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

QUOTE (Bwok~Bwok @ 25/01/2013, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok you need to take a step back and breathe... You are putting too much pressure on yourself (and your DH).

I think you have been focusing too much on those that have fallen pg first go and not looking at the 'real' picture where it can take a few months to fall pg.

With the amount of pressure you are putting on yourself in wanting it now - you will be a mess in few months. The joy of being intimate with your DH in the hope of having a baby should be where you are atm.

But if you keep up the amount of Bd'ing you have been doing, he will also start to feel the pressure - also you aren't allowing the sperm to get a good build up. Ideally Bd'ing should happen around 36 to 48 hours around O.

Go easy on yourself and your DH and 'enjoy' it - because when it starts feeling like a 'chore', it's not nice!

This ^

Op Dh and I have been ttc #1 for 19 months trust me you are putting a strain on your self and your DH

#14 Pretty Wings

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

Lovepink - sorry it did not happen for you this month and I completely understand. Some people may say you are trying to hard or not to put too much pressure on yourself - I got those comments also and they drove me insane because I kept thinking "this is something that I really want and I'm trying my best to relax and not think about it too much .. what else can I do?!".

I'm sharing my story with you because I hope it may help you.  I'm not an expert and sorry if TMI at times but I'm hoping I might offer some advice to you based on what happened with me.

I also did pretty much the same thing as yourself on our first month of trying - I knew roughly the days that I was ovulating.  And we had sex every day as soon as my period finished for about a good 2 or 2 and a half weeks.  And not only were we having sex every day but I thought "the more sperm that stays in there longer the better!" so i would make sure that every single day after sex I would lay there and not move for a while.  We were having sex every day at night time just before we slept (as I had a stupid theory that if I slept straight after sex it would give the sperm a good 7 hours at least to do some swimming without leaking out).  And also every single time afterward I would put my legs straight up in the air for a good 20 minutes.  My partner thought I was crazy.  I felt like I was giving myself the best shot at getting preggos.

So I thought there was NO WAY that I couldn't be pregnant right (assuming everything was ok with the both of us), as I knew for sure that since we had been having sex every day and every day around my ovulation time (plus my legs up in the air theory) so how could I not get pregnant?!  Not possible!  (Assuming we were both medically fine).

Well I didn't get pregnant that first month.  It didn't make sense to me, and I got really upset also.  I know some people try for years but I also know people who get pregnant straight away - so I thought for sure something was wrong with me.  It must have been.  I am in my 30's and given my age, I told myself I would give it 6 months of trying and after 6 months I would ask for some tests from my GP.  

After the first month of trying and having sex every day I was exhausted.  And to be honest I really really was not enjoying the sex at all.  So the second month of trying and by this point thinking that i wouldn't get pregnant cause something was wrong with me I decided no more pressure sex every day - instead I'd be mindful around ovulation time ,if it was possible, we'd have sex every second day or so.

And we did, probably every second day i would say - and at completely random times, whenever we wanted... Sometimes in the morning, sometimes late arvo straight after work when we got home and sometimes at night.  But every single time we did it I wanted to do it, and i enjoyed it.  And sorry if TMI but every time we did I also orgasmed.  I didn't lay there with my legs up in the air for an hour afterward like a crazy person.  Most times I lovingly hugged my partner for a couple minutes afterward then got up and went about my day.

Well that second month I did get pregnant.  It breaks my heart to say that that pregnancy did not stick, but my point is that I got pregnant when I enjoyed the sex with my partner.

My advice is the next time you try - maybe try every second day.  While you may think by doing it every day will give you the best shot, in my experience that is not necessarily true.   And also try it at different times of the day (spice it up a bit), and personally I believe that by having an orgasm yourself it also helps the little guys swim a bit.

I'm not an expert but just sharing what worked for me.  I'm not going to tell you to stop thinking about it, and stop trying so hard because I know that's easier said than done.  But I would say to you that if something you are doing on a particular month of trying is not working then try something different.  

Good luck original.gif

#15 ~polly~

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

OP please listen to bwok and minnie. I know it's easy to get obsessed with ttc but too much pressure won't help you or your DH.

I think ppl love to tell stories about falling pg first try and sometimes I wonder if they are telling the whole truth unsure.gif  I know if I get pg ppl will be surprised when I announce it and I'll be telling them the truth. Yes it was planned, it took us a while to conceive and I had mc. But right now I'm pretending I'm not interested in babies for a couple of years cos I don't need the extra pressure.

Take care OP. Please come and join ttc#1 group. You will learn a lot from the ladies and it will give you a more realistic idea on ttc.

#16 SuburbnJournalista

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

Sorry OP your approach sounds the exact opposite of relaxed or realistic.

#17 spokie

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

I know exactly how your feeling my dh and I not long been trying 2nd cycle fell pregnant however lost at 7 weeks, the second month was when I actually started charting and bam golden eagle..

now we are trying again and find that setting 6 monthly goals give you a little relief everytime AF hits each month.. of course we are hoping sooner rather than later but wanting it right now is unrealistic.. at least by charting you can look and say right this is my time to go go go and i'll check in 2 weeks if nothing lets go again next month.

my doctor told me just to enjoy and do it everyday which we did was exhausting until the second month where I knew more about when my O time was.

I have read a few place that by charting inc temps this will increase your chances of falling pregnant within 6 months of trying...

Good luck.... just relax

#18 lovepink

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

Newday - thank you for sharing your story. I really can relate to it and It makes me feel hopeful.

Thank you everyone for your responses, I really appreciate it x

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How a baby can survive alone for days on end

The baby found abandoned in a Sydney drain may have been alone for up to six days without being fed, leaving many asking how he could have survived.

When it begins to look a lot like Christmas

A child's excitement at Christmas time is a beautiful thing, but one dad ponders whether his toddler daughter is getting into the festive mood a bit too soon.

Hospital lets dads the experience some of the pain of childbirth

A new experience is radically altering men's views of childbirth.

Italian doctors questioned over formula bribes

Italian police have placed 12 doctors under house arrest on suspicion of promoting baby milk formula over breastfeeding.

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Those special moments of sibling bonding

Every now and then your child does or says something that is truly memorable.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Baby monitor footage posted online

Footage of Australian babies and children sleeping in their bedrooms are among the images on a Russian site showing live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world.

Did this new dad really hit on his wife's midwife?

Was there really a man who was actually there by his wife’s side as she laboured and gave birth to his child, all while he was making what he perceived to be meaningful eye contact with a midwife?

Keep calm and ignore the Tantrum Trolls

Tantrum Trolls are a small but growing species of predatory bottom-feeders who delight in picking on parents at their most vulnerable.

It's okay to never 'get over' the death of a loved one

The death of children, siblings, and parents has long term impacts on the rest of our lives.

What Mark Latham needs to know about depression and motherhood

In a bizarre bid for relevancy, Former Opposition leader Mark Latham has deduced that because one female journalist had this week light-heartedly thanked antidepressants and caffeine for getting her through a medical degree while raising two small children, that ergo, all 'inner-city feminists' are selfish harridans who despise their offspring.

'We're just trying to keep our child alive': life with FPIES

We have a beautiful seven-month-old son, and his allergy rules our life.

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

Baby for Asher Keddie and Vincent Fantauzzo

Fans followed every step of her on-screen pregnancy in Offspring, now Asher Keddie is going to be a mum in real life too.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong': the fight for Kaden's diagnosis

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win one of 5 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe Sport

Australia?s No 1 selling car is now available in a Sports model and we have 5 to give away to some lucky Essential Baby families.

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reactions to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

'It's not you, it's me': Boston bombing survivor mum to have leg amputated

Rebekah DiMartino is going through a break-up. She even wrote a farewell love letter. But it's not to her husband.

What it's like to go through early menopause

In a cruel twist, Carla had been breastfeeding and perimenopausal at the same time. But she's far from the only one to go through menopause early.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Restaurant served alcohol to two-year-old

Busy restaurants can be forgiven for getting food and drink orders mixed up from time to time, but not when the confusion leads to a two-year-old being served an alcoholic cocktail instead of the child-friendly beverage they ordered.

Julia Morris tells of miscarriage on a flight

Julia Morris has spoken about the devastation of suffering a miscarriage while on an international flight.

Woman's survival after birth 'a story of two miracles'

A US mother is home and tending to her new baby less than a month after surviving without a pulse for 45 minutes.

Best maternity swimwear and beach cover-ups

Thinking about a tropical babymoon but have nothing to wear? Here are some great swimwear and beach cover-up options for mums-to-be.

Duchess's letter to grieving mum

The Duchess of Cambridge has written to a grieving mum on a "very difficult" day.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.