Hoping for the best

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 lovepink

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

We are Ttc #1 and this is our first month of trying. Dh and I have had sex every day since my period finished and I should be ovulating this week. We will keep having sex until the day before my period is due. We want a baby and pregnancy so badly ... Im just really really hoping this is it. I know people say it takes time but I really want this to happen now for us. Im becoming very impatient already and really we've just started - i just want to know or not if its happening.

Sorry, maybe this should of been in venting? Just needed to say how O feel.

#2 TinyTeddys

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

Good luck!!

You might find if you BD that much you'll be exhausted. Once you have ovulated the egg will only be alive for two-ish days so there is no point to keep BDing (unless for fun  wink.gif )
Are you temping as well?

Edited by TinyTeddys, 09 January 2013 - 09:41 PM.

#3 lovepink

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

hi thanks for replying original.gif

We wanted to take a more relaxed approach to it to start with so jot temping or any of that - just have a rough idea when ovulation is and then making sure we have sex around then!

#4 rosiebird

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

That's your idea of a relaxed approach!! You must have more energy than me!

#5 domestically~challenged

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

Going by your OP I think the relaxed approach is already out the window laughing2.gif

Good luck.

#6 HappyLife

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

Whoa, you & DH must have oodles of energy! I'd probably suggest cutting back to every second day, to avoid exhaustion, and to give spermies time to replenish properly. But saying that, we BD'd each of the four days leading up to o this month!    

As tiny teddies said, not much point in BD after O, but as you're not testing or temping (I'm not either), then maybe if you think you may have O'd, BD every second day before AF in case you were wrong. Sperm can live inside you up to 5 days in the right conditions, so every 2nd day is still good original.gif

I'd suggest tracking some symptoms either in a phone app, or with a fertility friend account (free), in case this isn't your month, so you can get to know the signs & improve chances in following months. It also gives you something else to focus on!

Good luck!

#7 Zanbam

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

Good luck LovePink - this is our first cycle of trying as well and while my DH and I don't have your stamina I am also really hoping for a golden eagle (is that even a term???) but am "taking a relaxed approach". biggrin.gif

#8 Gemcat

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE (Zanbam @ 10/01/2013, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... I am also really hoping for a golden eagle (is that even a term???)

If it's not, it should be. I love it! Sadly, I didn't get one but FX for you.

#9 lovepink

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

AF came today sad.gif Wasnt due until Saturday. I feel very disappointed. We had sex on all the important days and no success sad.gif I feel like theres something wrong with me, even though it was our first go at ttc #1. How do people seem to fall prehnant accidentally quite commonly? Sorry for this vent. Just need to say how Im feeling sad.gif

#10 madammuck

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

Oh OP, I'm so sorry this month didn't work out for you. It's so normal to be devastated when AF arrives, but it's also important for you to keep your chin up and stay positive, this could be a tricky journey for you if you don't.

It's funny, you always hear of people conceiving after their first month of trying, or conceiving having not tried at all, but you never hear of people who conceived after trying for an average amount of time like 6 months or more. These stories are far less interesting! But also a much better representation of a realistic situation.

Have you been to chat with a GP yet? It sounds like you're feeling like the situation is a bit out of your control. To be fair, there's not much in life that's any more out of your control than TTC, but I found talking to a GP and really finding out as much info as possible about the whole process helped me to feel less helpless.

Good luck, and please do keep looking forward. This is your adventure, don't base it on anyone else's.

#11 lovepink

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

Thanks so much madammuck, your reply really means a lot to me.

True what you say about the stories you hear ... I will try and keep that in mind.

#12 Bwok~Bwok

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

Ok you need to take a step back and breathe... You are putting too much pressure on yourself (and your DH).

I think you have been focusing too much on those that have fallen pg first go and not looking at the 'real' picture where it can take a few months to fall pg.

With the amount of pressure you are putting on yourself in wanting it now - you will be a mess in few months. The joy of being intimate with your DH in the hope of having a baby should be where you are atm.

But if you keep up the amount of Bd'ing you have been doing, he will also start to feel the pressure - also you aren't allowing the sperm to get a good build up. Ideally Bd'ing should happen around 36 to 48 hours around O.

Go easy on yourself and your DH and 'enjoy' it - because when it starts feeling like a 'chore', it's not nice!

Edited by Bwok~Bwok, 25 January 2013 - 09:07 AM.

#13 Iliketoflounce

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:21 AM

QUOTE (Bwok~Bwok @ 25/01/2013, 09:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok you need to take a step back and breathe... You are putting too much pressure on yourself (and your DH).

I think you have been focusing too much on those that have fallen pg first go and not looking at the 'real' picture where it can take a few months to fall pg.

With the amount of pressure you are putting on yourself in wanting it now - you will be a mess in few months. The joy of being intimate with your DH in the hope of having a baby should be where you are atm.

But if you keep up the amount of Bd'ing you have been doing, he will also start to feel the pressure - also you aren't allowing the sperm to get a good build up. Ideally Bd'ing should happen around 36 to 48 hours around O.

Go easy on yourself and your DH and 'enjoy' it - because when it starts feeling like a 'chore', it's not nice!

This ^

Op Dh and I have been ttc #1 for 19 months trust me you are putting a strain on your self and your DH

#14 Pretty Wings

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

Lovepink - sorry it did not happen for you this month and I completely understand. Some people may say you are trying to hard or not to put too much pressure on yourself - I got those comments also and they drove me insane because I kept thinking "this is something that I really want and I'm trying my best to relax and not think about it too much .. what else can I do?!".

I'm sharing my story with you because I hope it may help you.  I'm not an expert and sorry if TMI at times but I'm hoping I might offer some advice to you based on what happened with me.

I also did pretty much the same thing as yourself on our first month of trying - I knew roughly the days that I was ovulating.  And we had sex every day as soon as my period finished for about a good 2 or 2 and a half weeks.  And not only were we having sex every day but I thought "the more sperm that stays in there longer the better!" so i would make sure that every single day after sex I would lay there and not move for a while.  We were having sex every day at night time just before we slept (as I had a stupid theory that if I slept straight after sex it would give the sperm a good 7 hours at least to do some swimming without leaking out).  And also every single time afterward I would put my legs straight up in the air for a good 20 minutes.  My partner thought I was crazy.  I felt like I was giving myself the best shot at getting preggos.

So I thought there was NO WAY that I couldn't be pregnant right (assuming everything was ok with the both of us), as I knew for sure that since we had been having sex every day and every day around my ovulation time (plus my legs up in the air theory) so how could I not get pregnant?!  Not possible!  (Assuming we were both medically fine).

Well I didn't get pregnant that first month.  It didn't make sense to me, and I got really upset also.  I know some people try for years but I also know people who get pregnant straight away - so I thought for sure something was wrong with me.  It must have been.  I am in my 30's and given my age, I told myself I would give it 6 months of trying and after 6 months I would ask for some tests from my GP.  

After the first month of trying and having sex every day I was exhausted.  And to be honest I really really was not enjoying the sex at all.  So the second month of trying and by this point thinking that i wouldn't get pregnant cause something was wrong with me I decided no more pressure sex every day - instead I'd be mindful around ovulation time ,if it was possible, we'd have sex every second day or so.

And we did, probably every second day i would say - and at completely random times, whenever we wanted... Sometimes in the morning, sometimes late arvo straight after work when we got home and sometimes at night.  But every single time we did it I wanted to do it, and i enjoyed it.  And sorry if TMI but every time we did I also orgasmed.  I didn't lay there with my legs up in the air for an hour afterward like a crazy person.  Most times I lovingly hugged my partner for a couple minutes afterward then got up and went about my day.

Well that second month I did get pregnant.  It breaks my heart to say that that pregnancy did not stick, but my point is that I got pregnant when I enjoyed the sex with my partner.

My advice is the next time you try - maybe try every second day.  While you may think by doing it every day will give you the best shot, in my experience that is not necessarily true.   And also try it at different times of the day (spice it up a bit), and personally I believe that by having an orgasm yourself it also helps the little guys swim a bit.

I'm not an expert but just sharing what worked for me.  I'm not going to tell you to stop thinking about it, and stop trying so hard because I know that's easier said than done.  But I would say to you that if something you are doing on a particular month of trying is not working then try something different.  

Good luck original.gif

#15 ~polly~

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

OP please listen to bwok and minnie. I know it's easy to get obsessed with ttc but too much pressure won't help you or your DH.

I think ppl love to tell stories about falling pg first try and sometimes I wonder if they are telling the whole truth unsure.gif  I know if I get pg ppl will be surprised when I announce it and I'll be telling them the truth. Yes it was planned, it took us a while to conceive and I had mc. But right now I'm pretending I'm not interested in babies for a couple of years cos I don't need the extra pressure.

Take care OP. Please come and join ttc#1 group. You will learn a lot from the ladies and it will give you a more realistic idea on ttc.

#16 SuburbnJournalista

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

Sorry OP your approach sounds the exact opposite of relaxed or realistic.

#17 spokie

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

I know exactly how your feeling my dh and I not long been trying 2nd cycle fell pregnant however lost at 7 weeks, the second month was when I actually started charting and bam golden eagle..

now we are trying again and find that setting 6 monthly goals give you a little relief everytime AF hits each month.. of course we are hoping sooner rather than later but wanting it right now is unrealistic.. at least by charting you can look and say right this is my time to go go go and i'll check in 2 weeks if nothing lets go again next month.

my doctor told me just to enjoy and do it everyday which we did was exhausting until the second month where I knew more about when my O time was.

I have read a few place that by charting inc temps this will increase your chances of falling pregnant within 6 months of trying...

Good luck.... just relax

#18 lovepink

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

Newday - thank you for sharing your story. I really can relate to it and It makes me feel hopeful.

Thank you everyone for your responses, I really appreciate it x

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

WIN two Sea-Bands plus $1000

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band Prize Pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos Gift Card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.