Do any of you have a preference as to what month you want to have your bubs?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 JustPlainMum

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

I'm just curious to know, how many of you, if any, took into consideration what star sign you want bubs to be before TTC and why.

#2 Jaffacakes

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:48 PM

Initially I had preferences wanted bub born at a certain time of year, then as the months ticked by I was just hoping for any baby as it took us a while to fall pregnant each time. My preference wasn't due to starsign though, more convenience, season or school age cut off.

I was rather glad to avoid a Christmas/Summer baby due to hot weather and general chaos at this time of year though.

ETA: Sorry didn't realise this was TTC section.

Edited by Jaffacakes, 09 January 2013 - 06:54 PM.

#3 Tulipa

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

I wanted to avoid Christmas. Am also not enjoying being 8+ months pregnant in the middle of summer. My husband is very happy that our baby is due at the beginning of the year for sporting reasons (e.g. Will be oldest in the 'under 13's', etc )

#4 B.feral3

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

I wanted all mine to slot into the middle of the school year. I was lucky to fall pregnant first or second try with each of them so I got around about what I was hoping for. Not so close to Christmas would have been good though but they all came early!!

#5 BlueEyedBeauties

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

Summer babies for me original.gif
Hate the cold and couldn't handle getting up in the cold to feed and change etc lol

ETA: I didn't plan it that way, I was just lucky.. And hopefully if I fall this month it will be a Sept bub so ill be lucky again original.gif

Edited by BlueEyedBeauties, 09 January 2013 - 07:40 PM.

#6 FaithHopeLove

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

Never thought about star signs but had wanted to avoid a summer baby simply because my mum and all her stories about being stinking hot when preggers with my sister and I who were both born in January. Of course that was pre-air conditioning everywhere so I am thinking it wouldn't be quite as bad now.

Now I think October sounds quite nice... only because that would mean my next cycle would work! original.gif The cycle after that would be December (I have to miss a cycle in between due to being on fsh drugs) and although I have nothing against December having a birthday only 2.5 weeks from Christmas myself and knowing what a busy social season December is I would prefer not but really as long as I get a baby out of it I am not going to fuss!

#7 kpingitquiet

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

I'd prefer anything that's NOT November, or anything within a week or two of November. Our close family birthdays go as follows: Oct 20 (cousin), Nov 4 (aunt), Nov 11 (SIL), Nov 12 (Dad), Nov 16 (cousin), Nov 17 (aunt), Nov 20 (kiddo), Nov 26 (MIL), Nov 28 (sister), Nov 30 (me), Dec 7 (Nana/Nana2/SIL), Dec 14 (stepdad).

I CAN'T TAKE ANYMORE! biggrin.gif

If we are successful this month, due date will be the first week of October. That's slightly better! Though I might go a tad early as kiddo came at 38wks. But yes, I will seriously consider taking Feb and Mar off TTC if we are not successful.

Star sign is just an added bit of interest for me. I seem to collect Scorps/Sags/Caps (go figure!) even among my friends, but wouldn't turn my nose up at a less insane sign! Water Snake is the Chinese sign for the year. It would make my mom very happy to have another grandchild, period, but I think she'd be secretly thrilled if said 2nd grandchild was born either in her same Chinese sign, or in  her birth month (Sept) which is entirely possible.

#8 The Old Feral

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

My husband is very happy that our baby is due at the beginning of the year for sporting reasons (e.g. Will be oldest in the 'under 13's', etc )

Cute original.gif but it doesn't always work that way.... some sports have age cutoffs at different times of the year.  E.g. my youngest was 7 in October and is still competing in U7 in athletics and nippers, I think the cutoff for them is September.  Swimming is usually based on your age on the day of the competition.

Edited by The Old Bag, 09 January 2013 - 07:09 PM.

#9 *~Luvmy3~*

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

Star sign was never a thought i just want a spring baby so around september, october or november.

Myself and DP are both summer babies, DS2 is autumn and DS1 is winter. The other thing is we dont have many family birthdays in those months and that it gives me a month or so between each birthday.

#10 item

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

We are NOT TTC, but if we were to ever try for another child, we would actively try to have a baby due over the winter months.

The reason being: DD died from a particular cardiac condition and 99% of the babies born with this condition are born over the summer months. No-one knows why, but it is a confirmed worldwide statistic.  The last I heard from the researchers, they think some environmental factor (seasonal virus or pollen etc???) triggers some sort of genetic predisposition to this cardiac mutation early in pregnancy.

So our preference would be to try to minimise any risk of the same condition presenting again.

#11 elmo_mum

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

i didnt want to be "huge" and pregnant over summer......

having said that, i DID want my baby born june/july... however he decided march was much better for him - screw everyone else!

#12 HappyLife

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

Would prefer any month except probably June or November, as many of my family have birthdays those months (including me & DH), and probably not December, being close to Christmas - although with family interstate & often all being together near Christmas, could be a good thing!

But really, any month! Give me a baby due any time (preferably within this year!) & I'll be extremely happy biggrin.gif

#13 jules095

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

You can try & choose, but it depends on when you conceive & whether your baby is born at full term or not.

#14 Amberlily

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

Given a choice, I'd pick towards the end of the year.

- You aren't hugely pregnant over summer
- Over summer there's usually reasonable tv on at odd hours of the night (thinking tennis / cricket) for late night, sound off breast feeding distraction
- You can never underestimate the sanity you can maintain by being able to just grab the pram and leave the house during early maternity leave - the weather can play a big part in this so summer (even if it's extremely hot, you can drive to the local shopping centre) gives you an excuse to get out of the house without having to run a gauntlet of rain / hail etc with bubs
- Tail end of the year is well away from the general school cut off age divider (usually around March?) so easy to work out which year they start school

But realistically, no parent is going to care about the timing on the day their baby arrives...

Best of luck for sticky bubs for those trying in 2013 - whenever they arrive. original.gif

Edited by Amberlily, 09 January 2013 - 10:01 PM.

#15 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

I always said I wanted to avoid having an Aries child as I'm not compatible with Aries and don't get along with many. But when TTC number 2, I didn't give a sh*t and just wanted a baby.

#16 Gemcat

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

I'm another one who didn't want a Jan/Feb baby. I hate summer, so being heavily pregnant in summer would be nightmare.

Husband mentioned position in school year when we first started talking about ttc. He wants kid to be amongst oldest in class. I hadn't even thought about that!

We've just started cycle 4 and my face thing to do when George arrives is check what due date I'd have if we were successful. This cycle would be mid Oct. Small part of me pleased that last cycle didn't work 'cause I didn't want a Virgo child (sorry Virgos!). FX for a lovely Libra!

#17 MooGuru

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

I hadn't really thought about it until I realised DSD's bday is exactly 40weeks after DH's bday (thanks to the kindly soul who pointed that out!) Now I am wanting to avoid step kids birthdays because the thought of it screws with my mind. Worst thing is I'm terrible at maths so would probably get my dates wrong anyway smile1.gif

#18 ~polly~

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

I dont care, I would just like a baby

#19 Bluenomi

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:35 AM

First baby I didn't care, once we agreed to try for a baby we did!

The next baby I've got a prefered time to fit in with maternity leave, DD's preschool, daycare avalibility etc. But really knowing how hard it is for some women, I'll just take whatever I get.

Star signs didn't cross my mind at all, seems a really silly reason to time babies.

#20 Fluster

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

QUOTE (BlueEyedBeauties @ 09/01/2013, 06:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Summer babies for me original.gif
Hate the cold and couldn't handle getting up in the cold to feed and change etc lol

Same.  If I'm not pregnant in six months, we'll take a break for a bit.  I'd LOVE a late November baby.  It would be super convenient work-wise.

#21 mrsmac12

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:48 AM

I dont care, I would just like a baby

My thoughts exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#22 tidey2

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

With my first I didn't care. It took so damn long to fall pregnant I just wanted a baby. When TTC this one I absolutely did not want to have another baby around May.

Guess this bubs had other plans. We are due on 21st May. So May as it stands now looks like this: DS Birthday, MIL Birthday, Mother's Day, DH's daughters birthday, my Mum's birthday and then the baby is due. Not to mention the weddings / engagements parties / baby showers / birthday parties and naming days that are crammed in late April and May.

#23 CountryFeral

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

TTC #1 for 8+ years now...

You tell me?

Of course I couldn't give a flying fart what month the child was born - hell my one and only brief pregnancy had a due date in the week of Christmas - we were absolutely thrilled at the idea of a Christmas Day Baby.

Just as as we would love a January, February, etc. etc. baby.  Or a Leo, Libra, Scorpio, etc.. baby.

A baby.

Birthday of it's own choosing.

#24 Tall Poppy

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:01 AM

I'd love for another child it isn't going to happen though. If it were I'd take a beautiful newborn on any day of the year without a doubt.

#25 rosie28

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:06 AM

If I had the luxury of choosing I'd say between August and November. As I don't have the luxury, and am requiring AC, I'll take any date! Today, I'm hoping for October, which would be the case if this cycle works for me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.