Where is the instruction manual?
For getting ready for this baby

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 balancing.act

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

We're living in Vietnam and have been here for more than three years. We will be having our baby over here in June. The hospitals are fine and our doctor is great but I'm far away from friends and family. The internet is very much my friend at the moment but it's pretty overwhelming.

This is our first baby and we're studying up mainly on the pregnancy at the moment. Thanks to some great input from the other mothers in this forum we've purchased a pram/capsule set that is both safe and will work over here (now I just need to pick it up in Adelaide in March!).

But.... after we've got the Moses basket/bassinette, the cot and some basic bedding what else? I'm confused about ergo cocoons vs sleep sacks vs traditional swaddling. Not to mention the other things like a breast pump and bottles (oh God, how many do we need?) We have to order most things online before our last trip back in March and  it's not easy to do exchanges over here so we have to think of the first six to eight months at least.

I've found some lists online but most of them seem to have been developed as a sales pitch. I know that many things are down to personal preference but does anybody have a basic 'idiots guide to shopping for your first baby' or can point me in the direction of one? He/she will be born in the (stinking hot and humid) summer and we'll have a very cold and damp winter to deal with at six months.

Your wisdom will be very much appreciated!

#2 ubermum

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

If you are intending to breastfeed, you don't need a breastpump and bottles. Granted, they can come in handy for expressing a bottle if you need to leave the baby with someone, but during the first 12 weeks when you are establishing breastfeeding, you don't need them. Any engorgement can be hand expressed in the shower. I am sure if you are near a good hospital, there is also some sort of shop nearby that will sell bottles and a pump if you need one.

Bedding for a very hot newborn. Buy some muslin wraps, singlet and nappies. If your baby hates being wrapped, a muslin sleeping bag or 3 will be all you need. Surely you can order things where you are for winter?  I live where it is very cold and damp and love our merino sleeping bags. Babies can't overheat in wool and they are very toasty. The ones I bought are expensive, (Merino kids gogo bags) but there is only one size for 0-2yrs and mine are onto their third child.

#3 axiomae

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

Things that I found invaluable in those first few months, although I had a winter baby so Ill do the summer version!

Nappies
Wipes
Zinc cream for bottom
A nappy bag with a nappy clutch (a foldable fabric bit that contains nappies and wipes)
Cetaphil cream for baby eczema
Infants friend for wind (some people don't think it works but I think it helped us)
Wraps - you would use muslim.
Basic bedding - cotton sheets and blankets
A whole bunch of face cloths which can be used for bathing, burping, etc
Onesies - a whole bunch in different sizes, starting from 0000
A hat and baby suncream for summer
A few nice outfits in different sizes
Socks and singlets
Capsule that slots into the pram - a lifesaver!
A head brace for the capsule
A lamp with a very dim bulb for evening breastfeeds (I have the lowest wattage and still put a sarong over the lamp)
Books and DVDs for the marathon breastfeeding sessions
Lanolin for your nipples
Nursing bras and tops
Washable breast pads
A soft mat or rug for tummy time
Some simple toys that are colourful for baby to look at
I also found Rescue Remedy to be great for myself when baby wouldn't settle or my hormones were playing up.
A bubba moe sling to allow fussy baby to sleep.
A hugabub for the same purpose above - one would work better than the other sometimes.
An electric swing - to help baby settle and when I needed a break from holding her.
A fan for her room (for summer).

When she was not a newborn we used a Love to Swaddle sleep sack thing - it allowed her to suck on her hands while we helped her learn to self soothe.

Despite what the PP said about not needing to express, I had to. I had low supply and was on that breast pump from the start. Could be handy to have if you're considering breastfeeding anyway. In which case, have about six bottles and teats (which will be enough to cover a day of feeds later on if moving on from BF or it doesn't work out.) Buy the larger size bottles, no point in buying the small ones, just means you'll have to buy larger ones later. You'll also need a bottle brush and breast milk storage bags or trays.

Now that my DD is a bit older (almost 7 months) the things I find invaluable (not including the bedding and clothing which is the same as above) are generally the things that keep her active self occupied when I need to do something. That is, the gadgets that keep her in the one (safe!) place!

A good quality bouncer - we have the baby bjorn bouncer which is expensive but we use it multiple times a day if we need to put DD down somewhere safe, we've taken it to the beach, to cafes etc
A play gym with a variety of hanging toys.
Simple toys to play with - fabric blocks, baby books, rattles, soft toys, teething rings
A jolly jumper
A fisher price jumperoo (she LOVES this!)
A selection of bedtime stories
A bumbo with a tray (we use this instead of a high chair too at the moment)
An ergo carrier

When you start solids, assuming you're not doing baby led weaning (look it up for later!) you'll need:

Something to feed baby in (high chair or bumbo)
Baby spoons
Small bowls
BIG bibs!
Lots of face washers
A device to puree food with.
Storage containers or ice cube trays and freezer bags
A sippy cup

For winter just rug up your LO with lots of layers and use a sleeping bag. We use Bambino Merino sleeping bags and they're great - expensive but can be used up to two years of age. We also live in a very cold area and use lots of layers of clothing and heat the room with an electric oil heater - you can't swaddle once they roll over or use any bedding at this point in case of suffocation.

Anyway I hope that helped you! This is basically all I use on a day to day basis - these are the things that I find wonderful!

Edited to add some things!

Edited by axiomae, 09 January 2013 - 07:36 PM.

#4 naturalista

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

Just wanted to quickly add that I am in a very similar situation to you - we're in Bangkok (from the UK) and I am sort of blocking it all out at the moment...

I will hopefully be stocking up in the UK soon, as things are either incredibly expensive or non-existent here, but try to remind myself that babies don't really need a whole load of stuff. I am a fairly minimalist person myself, so will be stocking up on cloth nappies, a car seat and a baby carrier (ergo looks good, might get a mei tai too/instead), getting a cot at ikea in Bangkok, and taking baby steps from there.

I'm starting to freak out a bit to be honest original.gif

#5 lucky 2

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

Hi,

I am moving this topic to the Buying and Dressing for Baby forum.

Kind regards,'

lucky 2

#6 IsolaBella

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

Clothes wise

Mothercare. Their short sleeved body suits and sleeveless ones were all my kids wore on Hot days. Also have lasted for my three bubs and my nephew.

Wrapping etc depends on the bubs. My boys hated it, my DD loved it.

I never used socks on my bubs. Didn't use singlets... Just the bodysuits.

#7 Bernard Woolley

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

If you're considering using a sling, you might want to consider a Breeze Baby ring sling rather than an Ergo/Bubba Moe/Huggabub, etc. They're synthetic (which admittedly, is not very tropics-friendly) but they're lightweight and quick drying. Lots of other 'commercial' slings and carriers are heavily padded - I can't imagine using them in heavy humidity would be fun...

Another piece of learning: if you're using a sling consistently, confine your baby's wardrobe to onesies - things won't ride up  original.gif

#8 Kitty Fantastico

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

Babies need very few things. Main ones are somewhere to sleep: cot/basinette, a pram or baby carrier to take baby out, a car seat or capsule for travelling in a vehicle, clothes singlets and onsies should do you in the heat. Wraps are great, big muslin squares are great to start with and later, if your baby likes being swaddled, there are different types of wraps with zips. Nappies, nappy cream. You can bathe baby in the sink if you don't have a baby bath. Lots of face washers are good as are large, flat cloth nappy squares. They're fantastic for burping and other things.  I wouldn't rush out and buy breast pumps etc, but maybe do some research before hand in case you do need one. A bouncer/swing can be handy if you need to put bubs down for a few minutes.

#9 CallMeFeral

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

Kind of unrelated to your question, but your title reminded me of it!
But when you are shopping here, maybe pick up a copy of Babylove by Robin Barker. I used to call it 'the instruction manual that didn't come in the packaging' for babies!

#10 Lishyfips

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

One of the best things I had for a newborn in a hot, humid climate was a large muslin wrap. I could swaddle her firmly and securely so it didn't unravel, but it wasn't ghastly hot on warm days and nights.
Cheaper than those zip up swaddle cocoons, very easy to use - you could get a few large muslin wraps for the price of one ergo cocoon so you've got backup if one gets soiled. Also no issues with hip displaysia.
I didn't bother with sleep sacks (grobags) until my kids were six months old and could sleep with arms unwrapped. They were fantastic.
Not sure about Vietnam, but when I lived in Asia I found the cost of huggies nappies sooooo much cheaper than in Australia.

#11 SnazzyFeral

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:00 AM

QUOTE (ubermum @ 09/01/2013, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you are intending to breastfeed, you don't need a breastpump and bottles. Granted, they can come in handy for expressing a bottle if you need to leave the baby with someone, but during the first 12 weeks when you are establishing breastfeeding, you don't need them. Any engorgement can be hand expressed in the shower. I am sure if you are near a good hospital, there is also some sort of shop nearby that will sell bottles and a pump if you need one.

If you are intending to breastfeed and getting a good pump will be hard for you then buy it now because if you do have difficulty breastfeeding you don’t have the luxury of shopping for the right one. It also helps to familiarise yourself with the pump so that it is less stressful if you need to use a pump soon after birth. I would also get some medela nipple shields if you will have trouble getting things on short notice. You may not need them but if you do need them having a pump and shields on hand will make it so much easier to BF. I went to an LC before DS was born and was assured that I would have no problems but my milk didn’t come in so you actually can’t tell if you will need them or not.

#12 balancing.act

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

QUOTE (naturalista @ 09/01/2013, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just wanted to quickly add that I am in a very similar situation to you - we're in Bangkok (from the UK) and I am sort of blocking it all out at the moment...

I will hopefully be stocking up in the UK soon, as things are either incredibly expensive or non-existent here, but try to remind myself that babies don't really need a whole load of stuff. I am a fairly minimalist person myself, so will be stocking up on cloth nappies, a car seat and a baby carrier (ergo looks good, might get a mei tai too/instead), getting a cot at ikea in Bangkok, and taking baby steps from there.

I'm starting to freak out a bit to be honest original.gif

It's odd what is available in Asia. Some things like baby monitors are available for around the same price as in Australia but then breast pumps are twice the price. We had to get a capsule and a pram system in Australia because none of the ones here seemed to meet any kind of safety standards.

Luckily toys and clothes seem to be super affordable. It's the availability that scare me a bit - sometimes there are dozens on the shelf, sometimes you'll have to wait for months so I think we'll be doing a bit of stockpiling.That said, I'm with you on the minimalist thing. Women here have babies every day and they seem to manage - sometimes we need to get out of the consumer headspace and perception of 'what we need' and just get one with it. Good luck with it all in Bangkok!

#13 balancing.act

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

Ubermom, Axiomae, IsolaBella, S'peachy Keen, Kitty Fantastico and Call Me AliG - a big big thanks!

My credit card will be in for a bit of a shock soon but I think in our case it's better to be safe than sorry. I really don't want to go overboard since after all babies have pretty basic needs but some of the suggestions are brilliant- especially the 'just in case' items. I don't want to imagine what it would be like to desperately need nipple guards and not be able to get them. So I guess I'll look at it like insurance - an expense for something I hope I never need to use.

We can order stuff online to Hanoi but the postal system is not very reliable, especially when it comes to things you need which often go missing even if they were couriered. The other thing is the 100-200% import duty on things which can make a $30 purchase cost up to $100 and involve trips to the post office, then the duty office and back to the post office - something to avoid at all costs in any situation, but especially with a newborn.

Thanks again. EB has been a brilliant resource so far and I'll look forward to racking up many more hours in front of the monitor in the next few months.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Teaching our son to say no to violence against women

Today, on White Ribbon Day - and every other day - we're teaching our son to say no to violence against women.

Mothers told to breastfeed in 'spacious' toilet

If there is one thing the owners of Tillings Cafe can be certain of, it is that the eatery won't win the award for Britain's best baby-friendly coffee shop any time soon.

Mother gives name to son dumped down drain

A woman who admitted to dumping her newborn baby down a Sydney drain has reportedly been allowed to give him a name.

Taking small steps to reduce stress

Are you feeling used up by life's stress, family problems and a demanding job you can't turn off? Many people are way beyond work-life exhaustion. They are functioning as robots.

Bad news: we're running out of chocolate

The world's biggest chocolate-maker says we're running out of chocolate.

Born at 23 weeks, 'Chopstick Baby' survives first week

A baby who was born at 23 weeks has survived her first week of life outside the womb.

Manic stations: the nesting instinct in pregnancy

It might sound like temporary insanity, but almost obsessive nesting as you near your due date isn’t uncommon – even if you’re not usually a particularly clean person.

How a baby can survive alone for days on end

The baby found abandoned in a Sydney drain may have been alone for up to six days without being fed, leaving many asking how he could have survived.

When it begins to look a lot like Christmas

A child's excitement at Christmas time is a beautiful thing, but one dad ponders whether his toddler daughter is getting into the festive mood a bit too soon.

Hospital lets dads the experience some of the pain of childbirth

A new experience is radically altering men's views of childbirth.

Italian doctors questioned over formula bribes

Italian police have placed 12 doctors under house arrest on suspicion of promoting baby milk formula over breastfeeding.

Heartwarming prank gives single mum the house she was hired to clean

Cara Simmons arrived at work to clean a large and beautiful house in time for a party planned for that evening. It was soon hers.

Those special moments of sibling bonding

Every now and then your child does or says something that is truly memorable.

Why we should stop telling new parents to 'enjoy every moment'

A few weeks ago, some dear friends of mine had their first baby. As the proud dad texted me a picture I had to fight the natural instinct to say “Enjoy every moment!”

Baby monitor footage posted online

Footage of Australian babies and children sleeping in their bedrooms are among the images on a Russian site showing live feeds from thousands of homes and businesses around the world.

Did this new dad really hit on his wife's midwife?

Was there really a man who was actually there by his wife’s side as she laboured and gave birth to his child, all while he was making what he perceived to be meaningful eye contact with a midwife?

Keep calm and ignore the Tantrum Trolls

Tantrum Trolls are a small but growing species of predatory bottom-feeders who delight in picking on parents at their most vulnerable.

It's okay to never 'get over' the death of a loved one

The death of children, siblings, and parents has long term impacts on the rest of our lives.

What Mark Latham needs to know about depression and motherhood

Love has nothing to do with mental illness. But love may drive a mother to do something about it.

'We're just trying to keep our child alive': life with FPIES

We have a beautiful seven-month-old son, and his allergy rules our life.

Transgender dad breastfeeds his babies

A transgender man who breastfed his first baby - despite having his breasts removed as part of his transformation from female to male - has now had a second child.

Couple face $1 million medical bill and bankruptcy after babymoon birth

A Canadian couple were slammed with a million dollar medical bill after their daughter was prematurely during their babymoon.

Cigarettes, junk food dominate supermarket sales growth

One in every five dollars spent at supermarkets goes on cigarettes or junk food, according to industry data.

Teacher under fire for breastfeeding in class

There is no doubt mums have a right to continue breastfeeding after they have returned to work, but one teacher in the US has taken it to the extreme.

Win a family pass to Disney Live!

We have 4 family passes to give away to see Disney Live! presents Three Classic Fairy Tales, touring Australia this December/January.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Join PADDINGTON on the red carpet!

To celebrate the release of PADDINGTON, we are giving five lucky winners the chance to win a family pass to the exclusive Australian Premiere in Sydney on December 7!

The tragedy of losing a favourite teddy bear

We were green and uninitiated, perhaps a little naïve when it came to the favourite toy responsibility.

Video: Baby sniffs beardless dad to make sure it's him

She looks him up and down and then touches his chin, but baby Lindsey still isn't sure this clean-shaven man is her dad.

It's possible to workout while pregnant

Medical experts say intense fitness routines can be done safely during pregnancy - if the mums-to-be follow some guidelines.

What parents really want for their kids

Are our hopes, dreams and expectations for our children what they really need?

'I had a feeling something was seriously wrong'

Before even giving birth, Katie Myers' maternal instincts warned her something was wrong with her baby.

When your pregnancy causes a relationship rift

Some dads-to-be don't miss a beat when their partner is pregnant; others struggle with a range of issues and can become withdrawn, right when their support is needed most.

Couple uses group photo trick to announce pregnancy to loved ones

Katharine and Kris Camilli devised a clever trick to immortalise their family and friends' reactions to their exciting pregnancy news.

Why Tracey Spicer has given up make-up

"After 30 years on television, I had become what I despised: a painted doll who spent an hour a day and close to $200 a week putting on a mask."

Knowing you are one of the lucky ones

I am secure, confident and strong, but the responsibility of protecting my children can almost bring me undone.

Why I am so emotional now I have kids?

There are so many ways in which parenthood changes us as women, but one of the most noticeable, for me, has been the changing state of my emotions.

Baby survives despite sharing womb with 'foreign body'

Baby Maia was conceived against the odds, only to find she was sharing a womb with an ominous "foreign body".

Video: Baby shows dog how to jump - or vice versa

They say dog is man's best friend, but this playful pooch seems to have chosen a jumping baby as her number one buddy.

10 ways to soothe a crying baby

New paernts can get frustrated when their newborn gets fussy and can't settle down. When you're feeling overwhelmed, try some of these simple tips to help soothe your baby.

20 baby names that are becoming more popular every year

The data-lovers at nameberry.com have been at it again – this time, they’ve discovered the names that are continually rising up the ranks, ready to take out some top spots in the next few years.

10 great meals to make for new parents

Ideally, you want to give food that isn’t expensive to make, isn't too difficult to create, and freezes well; stews, bakes, soups and pasta sauces are perfect.

Weird pregnancy products

Some pregnancy products come to market and are just awesome. Others just leave you scratching your head.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

Twin brothers have become dads on the same day ? with their partners giving birth in the same hospital, and even the same birthing pool.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.