Frozen dog food
How much to serve?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 naturalista

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

Hi, I'm after a bit of advice on feeding my dog frozen dog meat. She's currently having mainly dry food, with a bit of canned, but is a bit overweight and I'd like to try cutting out the carbs in the dry stuff and giving more protein and moisture.
She's about average active-wise and s a Thai rescued street dog - currently about 20kg but I think she ideally could lose 1-2kg. We live in Bangkok so reading some of the labels is a bit tricky! I've managed to find one brand of frozen fog food so far (Dr Dog), but it doesn't seen to give any guidance on how to prepare or how much to feed per day. From reading a bit online I understand some people like to simply defrost it, though I'd thought I'd probably like to cook it for her first. It's all ground up already, so no large bones etc.
Does anyone feed frozen food or know how to estimate serving size? Am I also right in assuming that the frozen stuff wouldn't contain all the vitamins and minerals they need either, so I'd need to supplement with another type of 'complete' food?
I've already tried simply reducing her portions, but it doesn't seem to lead to any weight loss! Ditto with more exercise, and she is a terrible street scavenger, of which there is loads of leftover food on the streets sad.gif we try our best but she always manages to get hold of some leftovers on he walks...
Thanks!

#2 BeakyHoneyButt

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

When I was last at vets we were doing the reverse and trying to get our 10yo lab to put ON weight. I old vet he usually has a raw meat diet. She said an entirely raw diet for dogs is fine as long as its not frozen as vital stuff is frozen in the meat,she mentioned one trial where animals health deteriorated and some even died as a result of eating only frozen foods. It's just one stoty, I would hazard a guess lots of retail dog meat had been frozen, and that was just one vets opinion. Your post just reminded me of the conversation I had with her.

#3 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

Sorry - I missed your Thread - Bushfire silliness near us.

I would offer her the frozen stuff mixed with a lot of grated vegetables and rice - and all cooked up together (so not still frozen, or even thawed). That will be filling, and the fibre and rice won't add any weight to her. Dieting by stealth, so to speak.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

'He said what?': partners' worst pregnancy clangers

Women have been sharing the worst things their partners have said to them while pregnant, and trust us they're bad.

'Cafe's babycino ban makes no sense'

It's an insult to families and bad for business.

The importance of welcoming everyone into your 'mum tribe'

"Not everyone has the luxury of a village." 

How to have a healthy vegetarian pregnancy

Q: Is it possible to have a healthy vegetarian or vegan pregnancy?

The 200 most popular baby names of 2017

Here are the most searched names so far this year.

Dirt is good for children, study confirms

Great news for grubby kids.

How dare anyone accuse a mum of 'milking' a miscarriage

A heartless comment from a stranger shocked the already devastated radio host Em Rusciano.

How breast milk can help relieve your baby's teething pain

Try one mum's simple parenting hack to ease your baby's discomfort.

Top 10 common health myths busted

To help combat the misinformation and spread good health, here are the most common health myths compared to fact.

Advertisement

Top 5 Articles

Advertisement

From our network

Five things you need to know about flu and pregnancy

As the 2017 flu season begins in earnest, here?s what you need to know to protect yourself and baby.

Mum tips to keep your pre-baby budget in check

Money might be funny in a rich man's world (or so ABBA told us), but for the rest of us it's a major consideration – particularly before having a baby.

5 easy ways to make your maternity leave last longer

Maternity leave is a special time for you, your partner and your new little bundle. The last thing you want is for financial worries to stand in the way of that joy.

10 ways to keep your 'buying for baby' costs down

Becoming a parent is full of surprises – not least of all finding out that, for such small beings, babies cause a lot of chaos and expense.

5 ways to prepare to go from two incomes to one

Here are some ideas for getting that budget in shape, ready for being a one income family.

Baby Names

Need some ideas?

See what names are trending this year.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.