Those with age 10+ girls

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Floki

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

At what age did you allow them to start shaving their legs?

Underarm shaving is already being done.

Ta

#2 Expelliarmus

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

12yo is shaving pits due to dance, has not expressed a desire to shave her legs, but if she chose to, she doesn't need my permission to do so shrug.gif She already has the razor, I wouldn't expect her to ask.

11yo doesn't have hairy pits yet and isn't shaving.

#3 kuhla

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

DD1 was eleven.  She was about 9 when she started shaving under her arms.  She has a sweating condition so she really need to due to bad odour.  She's been a fast developer.

DD2 is eleven now but hasn't asked and doesn't seem interested yet so I'll wait for her.  She's developing much slower than her sister

Edited by kuhla, 09 January 2013 - 04:12 PM.

#4 BadCat

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

Whenever she likes.

She's almost 14 and hasn't shaved anything yet though.  I asked her if she felt the need and she looked at me like I had two heads.  tthumbs.gif

#5 jodi

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

I'm going to go with the crowd here... whenever they are/were ready original.gif

#6 PeggyLou

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

Our 12 yr old started last year.

But she just uses those sanding things. She likes them, they work for her, we're all happy.

She had been shaving armpits for a while before.

#7 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

I wanted to when I was around 11 or 12 (as thats when all my peers started), but mum didn't think it suitable for someone who wasn't hairy, nor in high school.  I was allowed when I was 13.

I still think she made a poor choice, it made me reluctant to ask for other things (i.e. getting a bra when I when I was the only girl in highschool not wearing one - again, I didn't really have the need per say, but I was picked on for a while over it).

#8 JKTMum

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

I have a 12 year old (will be 13 in a few months) and a 10 year old. I just got DD1 a battery operated shaver for her underarms for Christmas (cheapish one from Big W), but at the moment she doesnt need to shave her legs as her hair is very light and not really noticable. The hair on her underarms was starting to bother her mostly when playing netball as her club netball dress is sleeveless, so she was more self-conscious.

DD2 doesnt need to shave anywhere yet. I'll probably get her a similar shaver to DD1 next year as she is developing quicker and will need it by then.

#9 fancie

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

13 years and 3.5 weeks.

Yesterday after trying an epilator and finding it far too painful.  As only the front strip of one leg had been removed, we had to resort to shaving the rest.

#10 i-candi

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

DD is ten and would love to get rid of her hairy upper lip and legs as she has been teased sad.gif

I've told her when she is in her last year of primary school I will allow her to get waxed and waxed only. She is mentally preparing herself for the pain.

#11 jofisk

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

DD2 who will be 11 in March doen't even have any hair in her arm pits yet.

DD1 does have hairy pits, we have decussed this, so just currently waiting to see when she might be interested in shaving her arm pits.  DD1 doesn't see the point in shaving her legs at the moment.  DD1 will be 14 in March.

#12 mitty82

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

I think my daughter was 11,everyone else in her class was. She was one of the last to start. She hated it for the first 6 mths, then she got really bad eczema where she couldnt shave cos she was covered in weepy sores. Now she is back doing it and her arm pits.

I never made any rules about an age it was when she expressed interest.

#13 NunSoFeral

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE (i-candi @ 09/01/2013, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DD is ten and would love to get rid of her hairy upper lip and legs as she has been teased sad.gif

I've told her when she is in her last year of primary school I will allow her to get waxed and waxed only. She is mentally preparing herself for the pain.

Curious i-candi - why make her wait if she is getting teased?

#14 kuhla

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE (i-candi @ 09/01/2013, 05:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Perhaps you should think about doing something about it

My DD2 has (had) a monobrow that she got teased about at school so she shaved it.  I didn't know about the teasing until she shaved.  Now I help her out and pluck it or use cream.

#15 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:00 PM

Edited by lifehacker, 13 January 2013 - 10:59 AM.

#16 ~sydblue~

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

DD13 shaves her legs because she reckons it is too painfull tearing the sports tape off otherwise.
Underarms she doesn't need to do yet. Although we cannot understand why. Just guess she is blessed with hairless armpits.

#17 NoNoBoo

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

My DD is 12 and recently had her legs and her ''monobrow'' waxed for the first time. She then tried my mum's epilator and liked using it, so I've ordered one for her. I always said she could do something about it as soon as she wanted to.
Like others, I wanted to shave my legs when I was about 11/12 and my mum wouldn't let me. I hated it and eventually took my dad's razor and did it without her permission when I was about 13.

#18 sparassidae

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

DD has just turned 11 and has no hair underarms, and still the fine unnoticeable child hairs on legs. I have already discussed hair removal with her (including the option to not remove as I have chosen), have no problems with her starting whenever she develops hair and wants to start.

#19 Holidayromp

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

The earlier they shave the more problems they have later on with thick black hairy legs.  The longer they leave off they longer the legs will retain blonde/lighter coloured hair.

I have only just at the age of 39 started getting black hairs around my ankle area and I did not start shaving my legs until I was at least 15/16 maybe a bit older.  You couldn't see them.  Besides DD aged 10 has hairy legs but you really cannot see them unless she goes really brown and it is dependent on the light.  Who cares about it - keep away from the razors.

As for underarm hairs Mum didn't allow me to shave even though by the age of 12 I could plait the long hair growing under there.  One day I seized her razor and got rid of it all - best day ever.  She said well now you will be shaving all the time.  Well that is better than having a black bush under my arms Mum!

#20 NunSoFeral

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE (Holidayromp @ 09/01/2013, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The earlier they shave the more problems they have later on with thick black hairy legs.  The longer they leave off they longer the legs will retain blonde/lighter coloured hair.

I have only just at the age of 39 started getting black hairs around my ankle area and I did not start shaving my legs until I was at least 15/16 maybe a bit older.  You couldn't see them.  Besides DD aged 10 has hairy legs but you really cannot see them unless she goes really brown and it is dependent on the light.  Who cares about it - keep away from the razors.

As for underarm hairs Mum didn't allow me to shave even though by the age of 12 I could plait the long hair growing under there.  One day I seized her razor and got rid of it all - best day ever.  She said well now you will be shaving all the time.  Well that is better than having a black bush under my arms Mum!

Sorry, but  this is a bit of a furphy - shaving does not cause differences in colour, texture or growth rate. Shaving happens at the epidermal level - not at the cellular level. Stubble feels stiffer and thicker as it is short.

ETA - changes in colour, texture and growth rate may also be a function of hormonal influences, which may be evident in puberty

Edited by gettheetoanunnery, 09 January 2013 - 05:25 PM.

#21 janeway

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

I will wait until my 11 year old asks me. She is fair & doesn't need to just yet. I will most likely get her one of those electric razors for her 12th or 13th birthday so she can do it when she's ready.

#22 vanessa71

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

I started doing my legs at 12, I didn't ask for my mother's okay to do it.

#23 i-candi

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE (gettheetoanunnery @ 09/01/2013, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Curious i-candi - why make her wait if she is getting teased?

Because she is only 10 sad.gif still so young. I'm trying to teach her resilience and learning to love her body as it is and realising when she matures she can remove hair.

I have NO IDEA what to do with her upper lip!!! begin so young I'm hoping it will lessen.

I've got blond/red light hair so never had this issue.

#24 Coffeegirl

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:49 PM

DD 12, has only a few underarm hairs and she's just been plucking them out with tweezers as needed.

She did start shaving her legs in Nov as she goes brown very quickly and the hair was very long and white/blond, so quite noticable.

She (and I) prefer that she uses the cream.  I have an epilator (that I love) but she finds too painful.

#25 NunSoFeral

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE (i-candi @ 09/01/2013, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because she is only 10 sad.gif still so young. I'm trying to teach her resilience and learning to love her body as it is and realising when she matures she can remove hair.

I have NO IDEA what to do with her upper lip!!! begin so young I'm hoping it will lessen.

I've got blond/red light hair so never had this issue.

Can totally appreciate that, i-candi.
Your poor poppet  sad.gif .

As for upper lip - probably won't lessen  sad.gif

A friend of mine bought her daughter one of those Nads facial wands and claims it has done wonders for her self-esteem. She was getting a fair bit of flack for her upper lip hair.
Just a thought.
Man I'm hoping for social revolution in the next decade.
I found being a girl so freaking difficult, don't know how I will lead my now 2 yr old through it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.