A public service announcement
about wheelchairs

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Lyra

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

I could put this in venting but I won't because I figure most people either don't realise or don't really think. And, I had my little huffy moment with my husband when I got home. And again with my son's respite worker LOL

So, here it is:

If you see a sign on the back of a car or van that says 'please leave 3 metres' and has a wheelchair symbol next to said sign then please, please leave 3 metres. Not sure if you've left enough room? Then leave a bit more. Whatever you do, please don't park right up my bum. How am I supposed to get the ramp down and then get the wheelchair into the van if you have parked up my bum? That's right, I can't

This happened to me today and I am so very lucky that the front of my car was near the entrance of an alley and I was able to move forward slightly. This was not ideal as it meant that

a) I had to leave my children on the footpath while I did this
b) I got abused by someone trying to get out the alley while I was getting my son into the car

I feel better now biggrin.gif

#2 casime

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

Whilst I agree with you, I will suggest that there are times that the signs on those vehicles are not very obvious.  I parked next to a tarago which had a sticker on the side of the car (next to the door handle, not on the window) asking for room to be left, but since they were on the passenger side of my vehicle, and it was below the window level of my car (large 4wd) I got out of my car and went in to the shops completely oblivious to the sticker until I was paged to return to my car and got abused by a woman wanting to get a passenger in.  I was very apologetic and embarrassed, but there was simply no way to see it unless I actually went around to the passenger side of my car.  Anyone that knows me knows that I'm the type to tell off someone parking in a disabled space without a sticker, so was hardly blocking her car on purpose.  

As someone who gets tunnel vision at shopping centres as I hate them so much, please make sure that we can't miss your stickers so we can leave you enough room.

And I agree with Twilight Zone: the person that told you off is an *^&^$*#%.

Edited by casime, 09 January 2013 - 03:24 PM.

#3 opethmum

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

Oh my, what a tosser.

Call centre security or management to have their car towed if some one is too close, that'll teach them!

#4 Liadan

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

I always make sure I leave plenty of room behind vehicles with those signs.

IMO, if you park too close, then it's your own fault if you end up with a damaged car.

Some people are arrogant a-holes. The same ones that prop in the disabled parking while they run inside to buy a packet of ciggies (I see this all the time where I work).

#5 lozoodle

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

That is so crappy that someone abused you!

That said, I usually park in a rush and I may not even notice the sticker. I would definitely move if I did notice it, but I honestly don't pay that much attention to cars parked in front of me.

#6 Guest_~Karla~_*

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

Oh man, that sucks big time Lyra. Seriously, how hard is it to miss a sticker like that on the BACK of a vehicle that you have parked BEHIND? What a w*n*er. And as for the a-hole that abused you while you were trying to get your boy in the car, well they can go and do things I'm not allowed to type to themselves.

mad.gif

#7 Lyra

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

QUOTE (lozoodle @ 09/01/2013, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That is so crappy that someone abused you!

That said, I usually park in a rush and I may not even notice the sticker. I would definitely move if I did notice it, but I honestly don't pay that much attention to cars parked in front of me.

That's why I made this a public service announcement LOL I don't think people do notice so I would like people to try and be a bit more mindful original.gif  I probably didn't notice all these things before either!

Casime, I see where you are coming from but my van has a very big sticker on the back of the van. It's pretty obvious. FWIW if the person had come back I would not have abused them but politely pointed out the sticker

And the person who abused me just got a friendly wave from me, my daughter and my son (with my help)

#8 Lyra

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

QUOTE (opethmum @ 09/01/2013, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh my, what a tosser.

Call centre security or management to have their car towed if some one is too close, that'll teach them!

I would have done but I was parked on a side street. I actually parked further away on the side street to avoid this kind of problem as I thought it was more likely that I would have issues parking on a busy main road

#9 heffalumpsnwoozles

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

I think another problem is that people don't actually realise how much 3 metres is. It might be easier if it was in more daily-use terms (eg, please leave a car length). Older people who grew up using feet and inches especially have trouble estimating metres.

#10 Lyra

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE (heffalumpsnwoozles @ 09/01/2013, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think another problem is that people don't actually realise how much 3 metres is. It might be easier if it was in more daily-use terms (eg, please leave a car length). Older people who grew up using feet and inches especially have trouble estimating metres.

My husband thought this too. He did say 'you should have left them a note three metres long'

#11 Poss and Soss

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE (heffalumpsnwoozles @ 09/01/2013, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Our council has a van with a rear-load wheelchair ramp. They have a metal retractable tape measure screwed to the side of their bumper bar so you can pull the tape out and measure.

#12 Leggy

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

Get one of those safety cones and place it 3 metres behind your van.

I like the general idea, but I'd give it about 5 minutes before someone walked off with it :S

#13 lozoodle

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE (Lyra @ 09/01/2013, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's why I made this a public service announcement LOL I don't think people do notice so I would like people to try and be a bit more mindful original.gif  I probably didn't notice all these things before either!

Casime, I see where you are coming from but my van has a very big sticker on the back of the van. It's pretty obvious. FWIW if the person had come back I would not have abused them but politely pointed out the sticker

And the person who abused me just got a friendly wave from me, my daughter and my son (with my help)

biggrin.gif id definitely leave room if i saw it, so now i will be more aware in future

#14 Lyra

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

QUOTE (Poss and Soss @ 09/01/2013, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Our council has a van with a rear-load wheelchair ramp. They have a metal retractable tape measure screwed to the side of their bumper bar so you can pull the tape out and measure.

that is an awesome idea!

QUOTE (lozoodle @ 09/01/2013, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
biggrin.gif id definitely leave room if i saw it, so now i will be more aware in future

thank you xx

#15 luke's mummu

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

Oh yeah and if you have a disabled parking permit you can park in the "3 minute drop off zone" only at our school. So don't get out of your car to abuse the parent!

#16 Frockme

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

I never read stickers on cars ever, let alone when parking. I assume all bumpers say "show me your tits" or something else as articulate.  unsure.gif  I'd like to think I'd notice a wheelchair sticker though...

I will endeavour to look more closely next time!  original.gif

Are cars with wheelchair access at the back generally bigger than average, some other sign that they are rear wheelchair accessible? I need many clues!  wink.gif

I do like the traffic cone idea, just chain it to the bumper! Hopefully some a*se won't just move it and still park there.

Edited by Malaya, 09 January 2013 - 05:02 PM.

#17 snuffles

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

Thankyou, always good to be reminded of these things.  original.gif

#18 ~sydblue~

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

Maybe the person who parked behind you didn't realise you had whoever needed the wheelchair with you, as you parked in a normal parking spot.(or that was the impression I got).
I know DH has parked further back due to noticing a car has a sticker. I don't drive.

#19 FeralBob!

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE (Lyra @ 09/01/2013, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My husband thought this too. He did say 'you should have left them a note three metres long'

This is where toilet paper would come in handy original.gif

Gobsh*te that abused you  mad.gif

#20 Lyra

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

QUOTE (Malaya @ 09/01/2013, 06:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are cars with wheelchair access at the back generally bigger than average, some other sign that they are rear wheelchair accessible? I need many clues!  wink.gif

They don't tend to look out of the ordinary. A tarago or a kia Carnival can be converted but ours is a little van. But it definitely has an identifiable sticker. Also, you can actually see the ramp through the rear view windows as well

QUOTE (~sydblue~ @ 09/01/2013, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe the person who parked behind you didn't realise you had whoever needed the wheelchair with you, as you parked in a normal parking spot.(or that was the impression I got).
I know DH has parked further back due to noticing a car has a sticker. I don't drive.

I parked in a normal spot because I was parking on a side street. If I had the option of parking in a disabled spot I would have. True, maybe the person assumed that I didn't have my son with me but really, it would be nice if they assumed that, in fact, the wheelchair tends to go with the car.

I thank your husband for paying attention to the signs.

#21 JRA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

QUOTE (luke's mummu @ 09/01/2013, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh yeah and if you have a disabled parking permit you can park in the "3 minute drop off zone" only at our school. So don't get out of your car to abuse the parent!

Is that normal, I didn't realise that? I thought it would just give you 6 minutes - twice the normal time

i stopped doing school pickups as it was impossible for me to walk to do the  pick up as there is no disabled parking.

#22 Guest_LeChatNinjah_*

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

JRA, could you not apply to the school or council to have one put in?  Surely they have some sort of obligation to ensure that you can pick up your son!

#23 VioletRose

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

It would be a shame if you didn't notice the front of the other car when you dropped the ramp, would have made an awful mess of their bonnet.  ph34r.gif
Sounds like you are bringing up your kids to be very polite  biggrin.gif

#24 Agent*Anon99

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (JRA @ 09/01/2013, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is that normal, I didn't realise that? I thought it would just give you 6 minutes - twice the normal time

i stopped doing school pickups as it was impossible for me to walk to do the  pick up as there is no disabled parking.

In SA a disabled parking permit in any timed park will give you 2 hours on top of what the time displayed shows. Not sure about other states

#25 JRA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE (Agent*Anon99 @ 09/01/2013, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In SA a disabled parking permit in any timed park will give you 2 hours on top of what the time displayed shows. Not sure about other states

In vic, it is twice the time of the sign

LeCatNijah: they did have one disabled park near the office, which is miles away from the juinor school.

They have now added a single disabled park which a grandparent parks in from 2.45 every day. (she has a permit). What makes it worse is if someone else with a disabled permit parks in it, she then parks illegally near the school crossing.

It worked fine for Dh to do the pickups, and if we both do them, he drops me off and then parks.

Now we just go late and pick him up from the drive through area .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.