Misoprostol

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LeNat McCoy

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

Hi,
Just wondering what other ladies experienced with misoprostol. I had it done on the 3/12/12 and 5 weeks later I'm still having crappy brown discharge, some days with nothing, then it will be back. I'm over it. I going back to my GP Monday to see what can be done.

Edited by LeNat McCoy, 09 January 2013 - 02:41 PM.

#2 Fillyjonk

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

I have had two experiences with misoprostal. Both were very different to what you are describing.

Miscarriage 1 (8.5 week sized foetus at 12 weeks)
- Took oral dose of two misoprostal tablets at about 4pm. Some time in the middle of the night I had intense cramping and was fading in and out of consciousness, went to the toilet and passed what I imagine to have been the sac along with some clots. I thought at the time it was not much stuff to have come out, but figured it must be it.

- Two days later (again in the middle of the night) had the same thing (cramping and in/out of consciousness), went to the toilet and I swear I exploded out huge chunks (possibly the placenta??) and lots of clots of varying sizes. The bathroom looked like the scene of a horror movie afterwards

- There was still a small amount of retained product so I was given another dose a week later which did absolutely nothing at all - ie no cramping or anything.

Miscarriage 2 (16.5 week sized foetus at 20 weeks)
- This one was done in the hospital. I was given two misoprostal tablets vaginally every couple of hours from 10:30 AM. I started getting some cramping at around 4PM, it became quite intense around 6pm and I delivered my baby at around 8pm.

I am not sure whether the oral vs vaginal thing made a difference or I just knew to be a little more controlled second time round. But in either case, it happened within 12 hours, not weeks.

Edited by with the goo goose, 09 January 2013 - 04:52 PM.

#3 leisamd

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:00 AM

I had this as a pessary with my missed miscarriage in August.  Was 12 weeks measuring 6 weeks.  They inserted the pessaries in hospital.  I went home, that night I had a flood of blood.  The next day (about 24 hours after the pessaries) I was passing large clots.  I had a little bleeding for a while, then 3 weeks later another flood and more clots.  I went on to bleed for about 8 weeks after that, including a period in the middle, mostly just slight browny discharge.  It was draining and annoying.  The dr said that there were just some little blood clots left that were irritating it, and that they should clear out with a period.

The bleeding did stop.

I don't know if that's helpful.  Did you pass the clots?  I do remember the doctor saying that it just doesn't work for some people...

#4 LeNat McCoy

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

Thanks for that - its such a frustrating process. So sorry for your losses.
I had a miscarriage a 8 weeks and wasn't able to have a d and c cause of a chest infection.  I got the pessaries then about two hours later I started contracting and heaps of blood and massive clots - omg I couldn't believe how big!
But that was 5 weeks ago and I think I'm just getting frustrated. It will taper off and just be a brown discharge then it will get heavier and then lighter and heavier. It's like I need shares in women's hygiene products. So last week after s couple days of nothing much, I start bleeding again, similar to a period but then it stopped a day later. Then the usual day on, day off then this morning (while on night duty), I start camping again and again more bleeding. It actually feels like a period this time. And exhausted and nauseated. Little over it!!
I had a scan a week after the treatment and they said there was a 1 cm clot which was left which passed that day.
I'm hoping its a period anyway, I booked at the GP on Monday. It would be nice to start trying again! Thanks for sharing your stories xo

#5 Fillyjonk

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

Frustrating isn't it. If it isn't bad enough that your body can't do a pregnancy right, it just plain sucks to screw up the miscarriage as well. At least that is how I felt.

I would ask for a swab to test for infection. After my first miscarriage I had weird/prolonged on-again off-again bleeding and it turned out to be two different infections. Once I was on antibiotics though, it was a quick recovery and everything went back to normal straight away.

#6 RosieA

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

Hi,

I had Misoprostal on Dec 21st when I found out bub's heart had stopped, I knew it was already weak and small. I was 10 weeks along but bub was only measuring 7 weeks. Had the pill at 4pm friday at the hospital and went home. I could feel my cervix softening and opening the next day, and then had Mifepristone on sunday arvo, 2 pills at 1pm and 2 more at 3pm. Those are the ones that make your uterus contract.

The cramps started just before the 2nd dose and I had a Panadeine Forte soon after. I went to the bathroom about half an hour later thinking I needed to pee but instead blood came out in large clots and kept coming for another 2 hours. Then I spent the last hour or so in a cool shower because it got too uncomfortable to sit down and I was really hot. My back started to get really sore and tight and then about 20mins later the last lump just slipped out and down the drain before I had time to realise what it was. Bub was only 5mm long so it just looked like blood and tissue. The back pain stopped immediately and the bleeding tapered off over the next few week. All in all, I managed pretty well considering. It was kind of like what I imagine the first stages of labour might be like.

3 weeks on, I'm still having the same watery brown discharge some of you have described. On thursday night I had some cramping and another bleed which lasted 2 days then disappeared. I also had some acute pain last night which felt like ovulation but no more bleeding. My hormone levels are going down steadily. I'd rather wait for my body to expel it all than have a d&c.

I've found a massage routine you can do on your abdomen that apparently helps your uterus clean itself, improves uterine muscle tone and fertility. I'm about to download it, might help and it definitely can't hurt. Here's the link if anyone is interested. http://natural-fertility-info.com/fertility-massage

I hope all you Angel Mummies are coping OK.

#7 LeNat McCoy

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

Thanks for your reply ladies, so glad to know that ur out there and I'm not on my own.
I'm up to day 6 of what I think is a period. If it goes any longer, I'm going to book in with the GP. 6 weeks is enough!!!!!! I really want to get my body back to normal and get back on the baby making wagon again.

#8 LeNat McCoy

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

@ with the goo goose - glad I saw ur post. After 7 weeks of bleeding I ended up with an infection, retained products and tonsilitis on top of that. After seeing my GP,  had a scan and ended up at the maternity hospital - what a drama. So I'm now on antibiotics, have a scan in a week and possibly a d and c the next day.
If I had the choice again, I would go straight for the d and c.

#9 Fillyjonk

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

Oh I am so glad you got it checked out.

It sounds like a very similar scenario to my first miscarriage. I too ended up with a D&C and infection after weeks of faffing around with misoprostal. I swore that if it ever happened agian I would go straight to a D&C. Unfortunately the next time I was too far along and a D&C would have been too risky.

If it is third time unlucky, I am not sure what I would do. Surgery terrifies me and I do know a couple of people who have ended up with Ashermans syndrom after a D&C.

I hope you get sorted out soon. The waiting is just crap!!

Edited by with the goo goose, 17 January 2013 - 06:30 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

My four months of breastfeeding madness

You imagine that everyone is thinking badly of you, and you tell yourself you have to keep trying. Even though you are in an impossible situation, you still won't give yourself a break.

Little girl's foul-mouthed ice bucket challenge viewed by millions

It starts out innocently enough, but soon Scarlett-Rose Davis is letting loose with an emphatic swearword.

Australian push for compensated surrogacy

A team of Australia fertility experts has advocated legalising commercial surrogacy.

Clever panda fakes pregnancy

News that a giant panda was pregnant prompted much excitement, but it appears there were never any cubs on the way.

'I survived placenta percreta'

When writing her birth plan, Simone Pavil included an item most women wouldn?t even think about: what should happen if she was put on life support. The mum had the potentially fatal condition placenta accreta.

Managing personal space as a mum

In the midst of the early parenting years, our bodies and minds can seemingly be overtaken by our offspring. How can we balance our need for personal space with the needs of our children?

'If love could have saved you, you'd have never left'

The words "spontaneous abortion" on the hospital paperwork really got to me. My baby died; I didn't spontaneously decide to abort him.

15 classic Aussie ads

Watch some of the classic Australian ads of the 80s, 90s and 00s, and remember the catchphrases and jingles we all used to know so well ...

For and against

Should Blue Ivy have been at the VMAs?

Many were quick to condemn Beyonce and Jay Z after appearing on stage at the MTV Video Music Awards with their two-year-old daughter, but others thought it was a sweet family moment. What do you think?

Toddler attacked at gym creche

Two-year-old girl Eva Ness was left with a black eye and bite marks on her face and body after an altercation with an older child at a health club's child-minding facilities. Now her parents are calling for the centre to be closed.

Pregnancy a tricky matter of timing for FIFO couples

Manipulating rosters, coordinating 'conjugal' visits, working on site with your partner; getting pregnant can prove stressful for FIFO workers.

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Carseats have twice as many germs as a toilet

Most parents know their child's carseat is not always squeaky clean, but they might not realise just how dirty it really is.

Doctors remove foetus from 'medical marvel' after 36 years

Doctors in India have removed the skeleton of a foetus that had been inside a woman for 36 years.

Nine months in six seconds: new parents' Vine clip a hit

We?ve seen some memorable time-lapse pregnancy and birth announcement videos before. Now one new couple has taken it to the extreme, capturing it all in just a six-second Vine video.

Sonia Kruger speaks of baby joy

Celebrity mum-to-be Sonia Kruger has spoken candidly about using donor eggs and IVF to fall pregnant at age 48.

Dressing to not impress: life through the eyes of a three-year-old

When it comes to getting dressed, my three-year-old has only one criterion: ?I don?t want to look beautiful.? And now I've worked out why.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

WIN a $100 RedBalloon for Dad

Enter now for your chance to win 1 of 5 $100 RedBalloon experience vouchers. Helping you make Dad's Day EXTRA HAPPY.

Win back some precious time and get FREE coupons

Membership to eBay's Bubs? Corner is free and includes a $10 coupon to spend on nappies each month - a win for multitasking mums!

Do you suffer from Precious Firstborn Syndrome?

Testing ?no more tears? shampoo in your own eyes, warming cucumber sticks so they're not cold straight from the fridge, waking a sleeping baby to check they?re still breathing: these are all symptoms of Precious Firstborn Syndrome.

Ezra's tragic death not in vain, mum says

Little Ezra was a "Harry Houdini" who loved trying to escape the family home. Now, after his tragic death, his parents are doing what they can to help others.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

Video: When adults act like children

Ever wondered what would happen if adults were allowed to act like children? This dad's hilarious video clip will give you an idea of what life would be like.

Mums hit hardest as flu cases skyrocket

The number of confirmed cases of influenza in Australia has doubled the number for the same time last year - and women are 25 per cent more likely to get it.

The mum who had four babies in nine months

Feeling exhausted due to the demands of caring for a baby? Imagine the life of this mum, who gave birth to three boys and one girl in just nine months.

Everything baby at Big W

Lowest prices on everything baby, only at Big W. Sale starts August 4 and ends August 20 2014.

Going viral

Daycare death shows licensing need

A baby's tragic death in a family daycare centre has underlined a need for better licensing laws in the US.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.