MCN's Where do i start ?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 happynow

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

I'm thinking with this baby  i might use cloth nappies but im after some info about it all

* Can i use them right from birth
* How many will i need ?
* How do i wash them? Do i need to soak them first  like using flat cloth nappies ?
* Velcro or snaps ? ( snaps look a bit scary and hard to use mellow.gif )
* What is better and easier  all in one , all one two , one size fits most , fitted .
* What  brand of mcn is good ?

Thats all i can think of for now . If you have any other information about Mcn's  it will be greatly appreciated .

#2 WhimsicalDragonfly

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

I'm feeling the same way, so will be reading replies! I found the pinned topics at the top of the Nappy forum helpful. There are so many acronyms to learn and so many options, it's a bit overwhelming blink.gif
I think I will use MCNs from about six weeks as I want to buy the ones that fit from baby to toddler, and I think these aren't always a great fit for newborns. These work by adjusting the snaps to different positions. I though Velcro would be easier too but I've heard the older bubs can take these off themselves much easier!
I also think I'll wait until the baby is born to order them to see what kind of body shape the baby has, and if it's a boy or a girl, as I've read done brands suit certain needs better.
Hope you get lots of replies!

#3 epg

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

My bub is due in Feb and I'm really keen to use cloth.
I 've bought quite a few single nappies to try, and several different configurations.  I've got a handful of 'small' sized MCN's that might be appropriate for a newborn but we'll see.
I think for the first few weeks I'll try her in terry flats (or muslin!) with a PUL (waterproof cover) - hthttp://www.thenappylady.co.uk is a good site to find a few different folds and a whole lot of advice.

Be warned - they are very cute and quite addictive once you start buying them!

#4 happynow

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

muslin ? please explain because right now im picturing a newborn baby  wrapped up in the stuff boiling away in a pot like a christmas pudding  ohmy.gif

#5 Guest_AllegraM_*

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

[quote name='happynow' date='09/01/2013, 01:48 PM' post='15221979']

Yes you can. I used one size from birth and while manageable, they really did not fit snugly until DS was 3 months old. For my next baby, I am using cheap terry flats and some covers for these first few months. You can buy newborn fitted nappies, but it is an expensive option for such a short period (unless you are planning a big family)
* How many will i need ?

Newborns poo non-stop and need about 12 changes a day. By comparison, my 15 month old has 5-6 changes daily. I wash my nappies every day, with the rest of the family's clothes and linen. However, you will need more if you plan to wash every other or thrid day.

* How do i wash them? Do i need to soak them first  like using flat cloth nappies ?

No soaking required. I wash every day so chuck them straight into the washing machine after squirting off the poo (pre-solids poo does not need squirting off). Otherwise, just out them in a pail with a sealable lid to contain the smell. If you must soak them, just use plain water. Laundry products can cause build up.

My tip is to sun dry as much as possible. I never have had a problem with smells, even when using hemp. IME, sun drying regularly increases absorbancy. I do find  if I am on holidays and use a dryer, they get manky and need a sun dry to fix.

DH has sausage fingers and prefers velcro. I also find it gives a snugger fit. However, most babies will figure out how to open velcro at some stage so make sure they wear pants! That said, snaps are straightforward.

* What is better and easier  all in one , all one two , one size fits most , fitted .

I have only ever used one-size and flats so can't give too much of a recomendation here.

My faves are one-size grovias (also all in twos) and swaddlebees one size pockets and rumperooz pockets. However, there are heaps of brands I have not tried that others rave about.

Only other tip is that using MCNs does take more time. Not a lot, but some MCN addicts will swear they are easier than disposables but that is not true in my book. That said, they are so worth it. I calculated that I broke even when DS was six months old and it has been all savings ever since. I purchased fairly expensive brands and more than I needed so if you get the cheaper brands you will break even much earlier.The real savings will be when bub 2 arrives and I don't have any nappy outlay.

#6 WithSprinkles

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

I use cloth during the day (disposable overnight). I started out with a few different brands to see what worked well for us. Everyone seems to like different brands and different brands will fit better on different babies.

A lot of the websites have sales in at the moment (e.g. Itti Bitti have 50% off until tomorrow) so I'd suggest getting a few different ones to try out before you commit to a particular brand. I would also like a few brands on Facebook so you are notified of upcoming sales.

I have liked itti Bitti, bambooty and seedling nappies the best. I also have a few "china cheapies" (the papoose/babyland brand) from eBay to bulk out my stash as the brands I have mentioned are pretty expensive.

I don't find snaps much of a hassle but Velcro is probably slightly easier. One size fits most nappies are usually a little large for newborns but you can just use disposables or terry flats with covers for the first six weeks or so..

All in ones are definitely the easiest but in my experience they take forever to dry (unless they have the flaps that can flip out like in bambooty nappies).. So I prefer snap in ones or pockets.

Hope this helps!

#7 happynow

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:46 PM

Thank you very much for your replies  biggrin.gif .  Are prefolds simailar to flats ?
And also when washing the nappies can i use normal washing liquid like OMO Radiant  ect ?

Oh and liners will i still need to use them ?

Sorry for all the questions

#8 Jenflea

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

I love Bambootys as well. I've also found a really good cheap nappy called Cutie Bums. My local baby store sells them for $15 each! You can get thicker boosters in them(pocket style) for heavy wetters and older babies, or use 2 for overnight.

Itti bitti are good too, but are low rise and my baby grew out of them pretty quickly.
So many different brands, it's easy to get confused but you buy a few of each and see which ones you like best.

#9 Leafprincess

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

Yes, I use one called bubblebubs they are made in Brisbane.
They are like a cross between a flat nappy and a fitted nappy
They have no "holders" but are cut into the shape of a nappy with a pad for soaking up the wees
It holds together with a snappi.
My son was per-term and had weenie legs and we were able to adjust to fit him (no leaks unlike the Huggins the hospital gave us). He is now very chubby and we can still use them because they are fully adjustable.

* How many will i need ?

We use them MCNs full time and have 24. I wash a load everyday and they dry the same day (wash int he morning dry by the afternoon thanks to the Brisbane sun) you might need more if you lived in a cooler climate, but I think 24 would be a good number to start with

If you buy through nest nappies they give you instructions on how to wash them. You will need to do a strip wash first basically chuck in the washing machine without any detergent three times.
Then whe. You use them, I use a tiny amount of detergent (Eco friendly type) and two tablespoons of bi carb soda. They come out clean and white.

I find Velcro deteriorates fast if you don't buy a good brand. I recommend spending a little extra on a Velcro cover rather than going cheap. Snaps are surprisingly easy to use.

The bubble bubs are fitted nappies, once he grows out of these I am moving onto a brand called gro-via

Bubble bubs
Gro-via

I highly recommend anyone living in Brisbane to go to nest nappies in paddington. The owner is very helpful and lovely. The prices are competitive and worth it for the extra knowledge and service. The people who work there are all mums who are MCn users themselves.

I love using MCN and find the. Easier than a disposable to use. Literally, take off, chuck in the pail, each morning DP puts it in the wash when he leaves for the gym. I wake up feed the baby then hang them out. By the afternoon they are good to go again. If you can do a load of laundry, you can use MCNs.

Edited by Leafprincess, 09 January 2013 - 04:39 PM.

#10 Jenflea

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:45 PM

Liners are good once you start on solids. Before hand if breastfed, I wouldn't bother.

You are supposed to use non enzyme washing powders and liquids. The Eco Store one is very popular, as are most of the 'green' ones.
If you use wash stuff with brighteners and whiteners and enzymes you destroy the bit of the nappy which makes it waterproof.
If you need to use nappy cream, you need a liner, though I've read more and more women are using coconut oil which doesn't need a liner.

oh and snaps are really hard for an older baby to undo, velcro, not so much.
Snaps are dead easy, I[m sure you're smart enough to function in society, hold down a job, drive a car, use sharp knives etc, you can do snaps up on a nappy!

Edited by Jenflea, 09 January 2013 - 06:46 PM.

#11 Loz07

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

Hi OP

My DD is nearly 5mo and I have just taken the plunge and bought some MCNs. I decided to wait until I was comfortable with her routine etc before switching (and will probably continue with disposables overnight for a bit)

I had 2 which MIL bought for me at a market which I have used off and on for the last 2 months, but have just bought 20 MCNs off ebay, plus 20 additional charcoal bamboo liners. I bought them from 'bountifulbubs' for approx $140 total. I have only used them yesterday and today (and only 1-2 per day - transitioning slowly), but I have found I'm getting almost three hours with a charcoal liner which I'm very happy with (esp considering they have only had one wash so far. DD isn't a really heavy wetter tho).

They are a OSFM pocket nappy with snaps. The snaps really are pretty easy to use (I saw a demo at a baby expo first time). They also look like they would fold down really small to be suitable from newborn. The elastic seems quite good around the legs and back (the elastic on my 2 original were not so good and leaked...). I can't comment on their longevity yet, but at that price I don't think I would mind replacing them!

You could always try with a mix of a few (including some cheaper ones) to see what works for you before taking the plunge.

Good luck!

#12 Froggilicious

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:10 AM

Pre folds are similar to flats except they are a bit smaller but they have an extra padded section in the middle. So they have the same absorbancy as flats but are less bulky. We've been using them with DD 4 months and they've been great. Just with a PUL cover.

At night we use BBH night nappies now she doesn't need changing overnight. She is a skinny one and only now fitting my OSFA itti bittis and BBH nappies.

#13 WithSprinkles

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

The other good thing about Prefolds is that you can use them to stuff in pocket nappies later. There are lots of videos on YouTube explaining how to fold them/use snappi fasteners etc.

Re detergent - I use earth choice but around half to a quarter of the recommended amount (using too much can cause buildup). As PP said, any Brand that does not contain enzymes/brighteners etc are ok.

#14 happynow

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

Thank you very much for all the information . I now have to convince DP that cloth is so much better then disposables .

#15 Jenflea

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

Nothing cuter than a brightly coloured, cloth covered baby bum!

And you're not throwing out poo filled chemical laden nappies to sit in landfill for hundreds of years.
No brainer to me!

#16 Katie_bella

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

Yep you can, although most one size fits all (OSFA) nappies will only fit from about 5.5-6kgs. Many people use newborn sized nappies or terry flats/prefolds with a PUL (waterproof) cover.

* How many will i need ?
We have 40 OSFM nappies and 12 prefolds for newborn, you can easily do it full time with 20, washing every second day although you may need a few more if you live in a rainy part of the world over winter.

* How do i wash them? Do i need to soak them first  like using flat cloth nappies?
You don't need to soak MCN's.
I rinse pooey nappies, dry pail (in a PUL bag or you can use a nappy bucket/bin with the lid off), wash in a cold longish cycle (1:45 mins)in a front loader with a tiny bit (1tbs)of a non-enzyme powder, hang on the line in the sun for at least 6 hours. Hot water ruins the elastics and the PUL layer.

* Velcro or snaps ? ( snaps look a bit scary and hard to use )
Snaps, all the way. Older kids figure out how to undo velcro pretty quickly and the velro can get full of fluff and not work anymore.

We use a OSFM pocket nappy, it's easy and dad/grandma foolproof.

We use Fuzzibunz OSFM which are great, cheap and last from 6kgs through to TT. Using sized nappies will cost you a lot more in the long run. Everyone you ask will have a favourite brand. Our pre folds are from Real Nappies. Try a few different kinds before you fork out lots of $$. Nappy libraries are good if you can find one in your area.

HTH. biggrin.gif
We love using cloth here.

#17 epg

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

QUOTE (happynow @ 09/01/2013, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
muslin ? please explain because right now im picturing a newborn baby  wrapped up in the stuff boiling away in a pot like a christmas pudding  ohmy.gif

I saw them mentioned here
http://www.thenappylady.co.uk/articleDetai...p?articleID=141
I'm not sure if they mean specific nappies made out of muslins or muslins like the muslin wraps.
I got given a stack of muslin wraps (like 20 plus) so I'm going to try using some of the second hand ones this way - I'm thinking the muslin will be less bulky on a newborn and the second hand ones seem quite absorbent.  Will advise on progress when Bub arrives!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Ideas for recording baby milestones

Get the props, lights and camera ready to record the milestone moments in your baby's first months and years. Tip: set a reminder in your phone (or jot it in a calendar) to make sure you remember it every month.

From penis amputation to fatherhood

After a botched circumcision as a child, Mike Moore was left without a penis. Years later, and after meeting the right surgeon, he was able to become a dad - naturally.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Your baby's first shoes, made with your own hands

Imagine someone saying to you, "Your baby?s shoes are magnificent, where?d you get them?" And you reply, "Oh, these? I made them."

Mother bites off pit bull's ear to save toddler

What would you do if your child was being attacked by a vicious dog? One mother recently had to learn the hard way.

Couple dies 15 hours apart after 70 years of marriage

A couple who held hands at breakfast every morning even after 70 years of marriage have died 15 hours apart.

Behind the scenes of Kate and George's cuddly photo

Every face is partially obscured, but there's no denying the happiness and love in the faces of the royal mum and bub.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Your baby?s developmental roadmap

Caring for your new baby can feel like driving along a dark highway without a GPS: you know your destination ? a happy, healthy human being ? but you?re not sure whether you?re heading in the right direction.

Breaking out of the isolation of motherhood

There can be many reasons for mummy isolation ? and you don?t have to be a new mother to feel like you're often doing it all alone. Here, mums share their stories of feeling isolated, and what they do to try to break out of it.

The billionaire baby with $10,000 worth of prams

When money is no object you can go all out when it comes to baby transportation, as this billionaire socialite has shown.

Medication helps depressed mums to breastfeed

Breastfeeding mums are often told their medication may pass into their milk, but a new study suggests the benefits of taking antidepressants are greater than any risks to baby.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.