Making the switch from "mummy" to "mum"

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 fillesetjumeaux

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

I'm curious about the experience of others in this regard, as I never successfully made the transition as a child, and still think of my mother as "Mummy" even though when discussing her with others (including my sisters), I call her Mum (which seems like a different person).

My nearly-10yo calls me Mummy (although being the quirky child that she is, she often calls me Maman, the French word for Mummy/Mum).

How/when did your own children make the transition to calling you Mum?  What about you as a child?

Should I just start calling myself Mum and have them follow my lead, or will it be somewhat cute when my 20yo DSs are still calling me Mummy?!

#2 CalEliKat

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

My mother died in 2005, when I was 31, I still called her Mummy.  And my Dad died last year when I was 38 and he was still my Daddy.  

Why change it?  I am confused

#3 R2B2

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

My 2 big ones call me a mixture of Mum and Mummy. they are 6 and 2. occasionally when the 2 year old is upset its "Mumma"

My husband mentioned the other day though, that our 6 year old has completely stopped calling him "Daddy" and he is now known as "Dad"

i'm not sure how cute their friends will find them if they are calling you Mummy at 20 Tounge1.gif

#4 CountryFeral

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

My Mummy died when I was 38 years old and I hadn't kicked the habit - although I will admit to calling her 'Mum' in front of my friends when I was a teen.

My DP expressed surprise that my nephew was calling his mother 'Mummy' at 6, yet never blinked an eyelid at me????

* I call my father either Dad, Daddy O, or Papa Bear.

Edited by countrymel, 09 January 2013 - 12:51 PM.

#5 CountryFeral

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

* weird posty?

Edited by countrymel, 09 January 2013 - 12:50 PM.

#6 Justaduck

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

We are in the opposite boat - DD only says Dad and DP wants to be called Daddy..he keeps trying to encourage it.

I stopped by 5 I think but I pushed myself away from them so maybe not normal?

#7 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

Why do you need to make a switch?

#8 cattivo lupo

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

My 18 year old will still occasionally call me Mummy, and three of them often call me Mumma for some reason.  To DS16 I am always Mum though.  

#9 fillesetjumeaux

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

kerrie23, I don't want to change it, but I notice that most tweens are already saying "mum" instead of "mummy" so obviously there is some transition (unless everyone calls themselves "mum" from the start?).

I'm happy to continue being Mummy as long as my children are happy to say it.  But I remember as a teen not addressing my mum in front of friends because I was too embarrassed to call her Mummy, and she was just never Mum.

#10 CalEliKat

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

Kids are pretty cluey, no doubt they will begin to self regulate without making a 'conscious' decision to do so

#11 ~~Cleopatra~~

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

I'd say go with their lead. I had older cousins so I was keen to copy them and use Mum as soon as I could. I haven't called my parents Mummy or Daddy since I was little, however my Dad still refers to Mum as Mummy when he talks to me and it drives me nuts. My children use both and they are all under 10.

#12 bakesgirls

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

My DH is almost 34 and still calls his mother Mummy or Mumma. I started calling my mother Mum instead of Mummy when I was around 8 or 9. My mother is 56 and still calls her mother Mummy.

I'd just go with what works for you and your family. No need to change it if everyone is happy with what they are called.

#13 Feral Madam Mim

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

I still call my Dad Daddy, when discussing him I call him Dad, but when speaking to him depending on my mood still use Daddy.

All my kids mainly call us Mum or Dad though, occasionally I will get Mummy but it's rare.

#14 DylMah

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

My 5 and 4 year olds generally call DH and I Daddy and Mummy, although they occasionally call us Dad and Mum. It something they've done on their own, and we're just going with the flow. When DD is really upset, she'll call me Mumma.

DH and his siblings call their parents by their first name, and have done since they were little because their parents always referred to the other by their names rather than as Mum or Dad. Took me a while to get my head around it. I hadn't thought about it for a while, then the other day, DS referred DH's mother by her name rather than by 'Granny'.

#15 elegie

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

My sisters and I never stopped calling our parents Mummy and Daddy. When I refer to them in the third person it's usually Mum or Dad. I don't see the need to consciously make the switch - they'll work it out and change if they want to.

#16 liveworkplay

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

I get called Mum, Mummy and Mumma by my three. They are 9, 7 and 3.

#17 Shadowess

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

My 5 year old calls me both Mum and Mummy. Depends on what she wants, and her mood, I guess! She also calls me Mumma, which I have to say, I really don't like. She also uses Daddy and Dad interchangeably, but uses Daddy more than Dad.

DD2, well, all she says is Daddy!

I remember my Mum telling me that when she was growing up, it was seen as lower class to call your mother Mum, so she always called her mother either Ma or Mummy, although as an adult, she defaulted to Ma. Her mother was british though (but in Australia), and her father was an Army officer, and they were all about the "proper" way to do things etc, so that rule may have been a british thing. Who knows!

#18 MrsDamonSalvatore

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

Mine stil gets called mummy.when I was a teen it was Mumma usually with bear added on too. These days I alternate between mummy and mummabear. She only gets mum when I'm shocked at something she says, oh and she gets mother if I need to ask her something lol.

Mt father has always been either dad or ray depending on how our relationship is going at that point. No affectionate names for him.  mellow.gif mellow.gif

Mine stil gets called mummy.when I was a teen it was Mumma usually with bear added on too. These days I alternate between mummy and mummabear. She only gets mum when I'm shocked at something she says, oh and she gets mother if I need to ask her something lol.

Mt father has always been either dad or ray depending on how our relationship is going at that point. No affectionate names for him.  mellow.gif mellow.gif

#19 Propaganda

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

I get called both.

I still call my own mother "Mummy," sometimes. Not often, but sometimes.

#20 ThatsNotMyName

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

I think about this often. I remember my sister and I making the switch from Mummy to Mum at the end of primary/start of high school. Mummy seemed embarrassingly baby like at the time & we were already under scrutiny at school for speaking like "poshies" so Mum seemed the "cooler" option.

DS still calls us Mummy & Daddy & I hope that doesn't change anytime soon, I love it. DD calls us Mamma or Mum and Dadda. She's never got the hang of Mummy & Daddy & it may not happen now.

#21 A.K.A

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

I get Mum mostly from my almost 5yr old, sometimes I get Mama but hardly ever Mummy. Our family have a habit of creating many different nicknames for people so my mum got Ma, Mum, Mother, Mummy Mumstar and it goes on.

DH gets Daddy or Dad, my FIL is Papa.

My father was always either Dad, or David. He was never my Daddy.

Edited by A.K.A, 09 January 2013 - 02:56 PM.

#22 AnotherFeral

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

I've noticed that when other adults speak to my kids, they frequently refer to me as 'Mum'. The teachers at school refer to kids' parents as 'Mum' or 'Dad', never 'Mummy' or 'Daddy' (that I know of, at least). Even my dad refers to me as 'Mum' when speaking to my kids. So I think outside influences will probably play a strong role.
DD1 switched from calling me 'Mummy' to 'Mum' for a while when she was 3 (preschool teacher influence, maybe?), but later switched back.
DD2, now 4, has called me 'Mama' for quite a while now and even DD1 has picked it up, so I get a mix of 'Mummy' and 'Mama'. DD2 also calls XH 'Dadda' more often than 'Daddy'.

#23 IsolaBella

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

My kids already use both.

Just like I call them both William/will (eg.) they call me Mummy/mum. Mummy is usually when they want to talk to me or sweeten me up. Mum is what they say when they want something.... You know... Muuumm (whiny voice).

I don't remember calling my folks anything other then mum and dad (now the two Nonnos).

#24 IsolaBella

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:24 PM

Just going to add my grandparents were always Nan and Pop. Not Nanny or Poppy. I went to visit my near 94yo grandmother today.... Introduced my kids to my Nan.

#25 Lil Chickens

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:30 PM

DD usually calls me mummy but sometimes mama.  On occasion I get my first name because DH and I call each other by our names (we only say mum or dad if we are telling the child to go andtalk to mum).

DS can only say Maaarrrmmmaaa!

I call Mum 'Mummy' sometimes, Chris sometimes (when I was a teen she was in a softball team with my older sister and all the other team members called her mum so we called her Chris to get her attention).

I call Dad 'Daddy' sometimes or 'Ian Wian' or just 'Wian' at other times.  Don't know how it started it just did.

My point is your kids will figure it out and unless they choose something you are uncomfortable with then just go with it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.