Alternatives for Maya/Layla
Ideas please :)

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 TarneeW

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

Layla Eve is my front runner at the moment if we have a girl, and Maya is off the list as it's too confusing with my other names. Only problem is Layla might be a bit close to home (deciding if I can use).

I love both these names and hoping someone might have some great suggestions that are a similar style. Eve will more than likely be the mn.

Can you help?

TIA original.gif

Edited by TarneeW, 09 January 2013 - 12:22 PM.

#2 fifi-trixibelle

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

Lila
Maia
Maisie
Mila
Lara
Amaya
Laura
Lana/Lani
Mia
Maeve
Louisa
Sadie
Ella
Heidi
Elsa
Stella
Gemma/Jemma
Marla

#3 TarneeW

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

Thank you Fifi-Trixibelle, some lovely suggestions and definitely my style original.gif

I should have said I'm trying to avoid names starting with 'M'....

Thank you!

#4 emlis22

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

I like Leila prn Leer-lah.

Louisa
Thalia
Thora
Lilah/Delilah
Thea
Amalia
Lilac
Freja
Lyla

#5 Gudrun

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

Enya
Nika
Naya
Neva
Nala
Nyah
Rania
Lyra
Yola
Soraya
Amara
Ghia

#6 BlueEyedBeauties

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

Michaela Eve?
Amelia Eve?

Is it the "A" ending that you actually like in the names?

If you like Layla, but cant, what about Leila (lee-lah) or Lilah (Lie-lah)

#7 Bomber girl

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

Taia/Taya

#8 Magenta_

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

Hi there,

Some ideas that come to mind are:

Luella Eve
Lois Eva
Allegra May
Alexa Grace

I really like the suggestion of Marla!

Good luck!
Magenta

#9 ~Peaches~

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

I was going to suggest Lila, it's DD's name and one of my favorites wub.gif Fifi has some wonderful suggestions, the only others I can think of are -

Lucy
Bonnie
Scarlett
Juliet
Romy
Eliza
Elsie
Isla
Ruby
Violet

#10 TarneeW

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply and your suggestions, there are some lovely ideas!

QUOTE (emlis22 @ 09/01/2013, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like Leila prn Leer-lah.

Freja
Lyla

I thought Leila was another form of spelling for Layla (haven't heard If prn Leer-lah?!

How so you prn Freja? As spelt or like Fre-ya? I think this is pretty original.gif

Unfortunately Lyla is out sad.gif

QUOTE (BlueEyedBeauties @ 09/01/2013, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Michaela Eve?
Amelia Eve?

Is it the "A" ending that you actually like in the names?

If you like Layla, but cant, what about Leila (lee-lah) or Lilah (Lie-lah)

My DD ends in 'A' so that maybe the case? I hadn't thought of that before....

I just instantly fell in love with Layla although Maya has been a name I regretted not using last time. For some reason I love them both - very pretty & feminine original.gif

QUOTE (me3922 @ 09/01/2013, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Taia/Taya

For some reason I don't like as much as Maya but I don't know why?! Thank you anyway original.gif

QUOTE (Magenta_ @ 09/01/13, 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi there,

Some ideas that come to mind are:

Luella Eve
Lois Eva
Allegra May
Alexa Grace

I really like the suggestion of Marla!

Good luck!
Magenta

Luella is gorgeous and one to think about! I do like Allegra but DH doesn't! I have a Marley so Marla is definitely out....

#11 kuhla

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE (Gudrun @ 09/01/2013, 01:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Enya
Nika
Naya
Neva
Nala
Nyah
Rania
Lyra
Yola
Soraya
Amara
Ghia

I don't think I've heard of Soraya before.  I really like that.

#12 TarneeW

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

QUOTE (~Peaches~ @ 09/01/2013, 02:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was going to suggest Lila, it's DD's name and one of my favorites wub.gif Fifi has some wonderful suggestions, the only others I can think of are -

Lucy
Bonnie
Scarlett
Juliet
Romy
Eliza
Elsie
Isla
Ruby
Violet

Thank you Peaches! I love Ruby but IMO think it's just too common (even though my suggestions are fairly common too). I wonder how common it really is?!

I do like Isla too and thought it was a great alternative for Lila....

#13 Mel.Bell

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

Can I just say it depends on your last name ... A friend of mine wanted to name their girl "Layla" until I pointed out that her last name is Write & Layla Write doesn't sound good original.gif

#14 ~char~

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

I prefer the spelling Leila.

Also, I'm pretty sure the name Layla/Leila means night or something associated with night in Arabic (the name is of Arabic/Persian origin). I would check that before using Eve as the MN.

#15 TarneeW

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (Gudrun @ 09/01/2013, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Soraya
Amara
Ghia

QUOTE (kuhla @ 09/01/2013, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think I've heard of Soraya before.  I really like that.

I heard it spelt Suraya for the first time the other day and instantly loved it (which is what I'm after, a name I instantly love).... DH wasn't a fan at all sad.gif

QUOTE (Mel.Bell @ 09/01/2013, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can I just say it depends on your last name ... A friend of mine wanted to name their girl "Layla" until I pointed out that her last name is Write & Layla Write doesn't sound good original.gif

roll2.gif

That's my only concern with the name although our surname is perfectly fine!

#16 TarneeW

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE (~char~ @ 09/01/2013, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I prefer the spelling Leila.

Also, I'm pretty sure the name Layla/Leila means night or something associated with night in Arabic (the name is of Arabic/Persian origin). I would check that before using Eve as the MN.

Yes, you're right but this doesn't really bother me at all. I also like Aurora and had people suggest not to use it with Eve because it means Dawn lol! I had no idea, just loved the names original.gif

Edited by TarneeW, 09 January 2013 - 03:44 PM.

#17 emlis22

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

QUOTE (TarneeW @ 09/01/2013, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought Leila was another form of spelling for Layla (haven't heard If prn Leer-lah?!

How so you prn Freja? As spelt or like Fre-ya? I think this is pretty original.gif

Yeah I think it can be said Layla as well... but I know a Lee-lah. It's more a leer than a lee though, I didn't mean to confuse you!

Yep, Freja is the same as Freya, I just prefer the J original.gif

#18 Mel.Bell

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

hahaha I suggested if they have another child, it could be called RYDER Write roll2.gif This was 4 years ago & we laugh about it now

#19 Gudrun

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

Elaina
Jelena
Anaya
Janaya
Amadea
Dahlia
Eilidh
Jada
Lael
Leilani
Svea
Willa
Sadie
Viola
Yolane
Zalie

#20 nik_klinger

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE (TarneeW @ 09/01/2013, 01:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you Fifi-Trixibelle, some lovely suggestions and definitely my style original.gif

I should have said I'm trying to avoid names starting with 'M'....

Thank you!

That's a shame bc I was going to say I love Mila from the list. It's a beautiful name.

#21 la di dah

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

Reina
Kayla/Kaila
Mara
Lila
Lilith
Lilac
Lillian/Liliana
May
Maeve
Iola
Kelila/Kelilah
Leikela
Leah
Maybelle/Mabel

#22 feralangel

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

Have you considered

Leisle?

#23 Kikki-B

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

Have you thought of Ayla/Aila (pron Ay-la)?
Also I'm considering naming my DD2 Lila Carey (Lila means Night & Carey means Dark) so I wouldn't worry about Layla Eve have almost the same meaning.    Carey is a family name which I want to use and Lila seems to be the only name (that works with my surname) that I love at the moment. There aren't many people who care about the meaning behind a name - its just us on EB who are obsessing over finding the perfect name that seem to be very educated on the subject. It's nice to run names past everyone and have any potential name problems picked up!
I think Layla is a beautiful name and eve works really well with it.

#24 kerilyntaryn

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

what are the siblings names

Ava
Ada
Anna
Ayla
Eliana
Susannah
Keturah
Kezia
Tirzah
Tallulah
Adrianna
Arianna
Elisha
Alicia
Alayna
Alyssa
Amara
Amanda
Amelia
Anastasia
Angela
Anika
Anya
Audra
Bella
Bianca
Breanna
Camilla
Carissa
Cassandra
Tahlia
Kahlia
Danika
Delia
Eliza
Erika
Eva
Felicia
Fiona
Gabriella
Greta
Hannah
Helena
Jacinta
Jenaya
Gemma
Jenna
Jessica
Rebekah
Julia
Johanna
Juliana
Kara
Kayla
Kira
Lara
Lana
Larissa
Leona
Leticia
Leah
Lisa
Lucinda
Nadia
Nikita
Natasha
Natalia
Olivia
Nicola
Priscilla
Priya
Ramona
Reyna
Rosa
Roxanna
Sabrina
Saskia
Savannah
Shayla
Stella
Tabitha
Samara
Tamara
Tamika
Tayla
Tesla
Tessa
Tanya
Zana
Zara
Zola
Ella
Sonya
Sophia

#25 kerilyntaryn

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

double post

Edited by kerilyntaryn, 09 January 2013 - 07:56 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Warnings over child pain relief doses

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has warned parents and carers over a "confusing" pain relief dosage system.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.