WDYT? Our dog bit someone.

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#1 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

sad.gif

Thanks for any advice.

eeek sorry so long.

Edited by lifehacker, 09 February 2013 - 10:17 PM.

#2 MoonPie

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

If someone got into my personal space and ignored/challenged a warning bark from my dog, I'd hope he'd bite them too!

Hope everything sorts itself out sad.gif

#3 Holidayromp

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

It could be a cultural thing though - the dog took it as being antagonised the person who got bitten probably didn't.  That is the thing your dog still bit the person and maybe you could get them to sign a waiver if you are worried but not paying costs can also get you in a whole lot of trouble - your dog bit a human you pay.

#4 JRA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

Last night dh was walking with the kids and dog on a local oval - it's huge and has 2 ovals and a man was walking and he walked really close to dd who was holding the leash (she's 17) and our dog barked at the man. The man barked back at the dog, as in he made woof, woof noises, the dog pulled at the lead and bit around the mans ankles

QUOTE (Rebothy @ 09/01/2013, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If someone got into my personal space and ignored/challenged a warning bark from my dog, I'd hope he'd bite them too!

If a person cannot walk near a dog without being bitten, that is not the person's fault. Don't blame the victim.

#5 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE (Rebothy @ 09/01/2013, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks.

Yeah dd had a bit of a rant about how it was a strange reaction to woof at the dog and "what did he expect" and "why didn't he walk around us" etc, etc, she's upset as it's primarily her dog, he sleeps on her bed and is closest to her, she's had a terrible year with depression and the dog has been her lifeline literally sad.gif

I'm trying to do the right thing though as he shouldn't bite people at the end of the day.

#6 Cath42

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

I don't have much experience of dog ownership, so I'm probably not going to say anything terribly useful. If this is the second incident whereby your dog has bitten someone (or tried to) without being threatened or trying to guard your property, you've probably got a problem on your hands. I don't think you need to have him put down, but a muzzle is probably a good idea for walks or for anytime he's not at home. I also wouldn't leave him alone with your 14-month-old, ever - not even a quick trip to the loo.

As far as the $70 is concerned, I do think you should pay it. I'd say the man's family knew he'd need a tetanus shot and that's why they took him to a doctor. They don't sound like the kind of people who'd deny a cash payment. They gave your husband their mobile number in good faith and they haven't been any trouble since the incident occurred.

#7 Z-girls rock

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

firstly I am no expert. not in the legality of paying the money or in dog training.

but if I were you I would.

pay the $70. I mean it is not a big amount of money and it was your dogs fault. I think if they intended to sue they would be making more of a fuss...

also look at a head halter for the dog http://compare.ebay.com.au/like/2509674687...dPriceItemTypes when walking as she seems to be unpredicable and excitable. You need to have more control.

but maybe spiky or someone has a more expert oppinion.

Edited by Z-girls rock, 09 January 2013 - 12:27 PM.

#8 MintyBiscuit

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

In regards to the dog, maybe have a chat with your vet? If he's jumpy there might be training or something that can be done to stop him from acting like that. I'd be concerned too because it doesn't sound like it took a lot of provocation for him to bite, but obviously without being there it's hard to say for sure.

Regarding the money, I think the right thing to do is to pay for it. I can sort of see where your dad is coming from in thinking that paying for the doctor's visit is admitting responsibility, but realistically you ARE responsible as the dog owner so I don't see how it could make it worse. I am not a lawyer though, so maybe someone will be able to give you a better answer.

#9 beaglebaby

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

Your dog felt threatened, a much larger animal was barking at it - it's response was the terrier way of saying get out of my space.  

First of all, don't at this stage consider having your dog PTS.  Never leave it and your baby unsupervised, never let it off the leash in a public place, don't let it go up to strangers and consider getting a good behaviouralist to come and work with you on the best way to deal with what the dog perceives as threats.  It could also be worth getting one of the leads that asks people to stay away - but that wouldn't have helped in this case.

I don't know what you should do about this man.  I would not have gone home with him or given him my phone number.  He may have thought he was being funny, but he provoked your dog, yes, your dog did bite him, and you feel bad about it but surely he also has to take some responsibility for his action.  I have no idea of the legal responsibilities here, or what might happen if he reports it to the ranger, I would hope common sense prevails.

#10 IamAuntyA

You'r dog was simply protecting his pack ( you'r family). The man got to close for comfort so your dog took action, there would have been something about the man that intimidated the dog for him to bite. I don't think you need to put him to sleep over it at all, if he shows aggressive behaviour towards people then maybe but what he was did was not in an aggressive manor, remember they can't talk he barked at the man and that would have been his way of saying get back and the man didn't so he took the next step to protect his family.
With the payment yes 100% pay so you get a receipt for it, if they have already paid the dr then deposit it into their account & keep all reciept & transaction numbers. Never pay them in cash.

#11 bikingbubs

If my dogs bit ANYONE, there is NO way they would be going anywhere near my kids.

#12 asdf89

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

QUOTE (Cath42 @ 09/01/2013, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't have much experience of dog ownership, so I'm probably not going to say anything terribly useful. If this is the second incident whereby your dog has bitten someone (or tried to) without being threatened or trying to guard your property, you've probably got a problem on your hands. I don't think you need to have him put down, but a muzzle is probably a good idea for walks or for anytime he's not at home. I also wouldn't leave him alone with your 14-month-old, ever - not even a quick trip to the loo.

As far as the $70 is concerned, I do think you should pay it. I'd say the man's family knew he'd need a tetanus shot and that's why they took him to a doctor. They don't sound like the kind of people who'd deny a cash payment. They gave your husband their mobile number in good faith and they haven't been any trouble since the incident occurred.

Definitely start walking the dog with a muzzle. Also, how did your DD react when the dog started barking at the man? Did she pull him closer/say no etc?

I don't know what the legal ramifications would be, but think you should pay the money as he wouldn't have need to go to the doctor if not for your dog.

#13 CountryFeral

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

Pay the bill.

Keep your dog away from people on a shorter leash for now.  And talk to your vet about further training.

It is NOT this man's fault he got bitten by your dog.

#14 cira

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

All dogs in public need to be under control. A dog that is able to harass and bite someone would not be considered under control. If he reports this incident, you will be found at fault.

#15 dolcengabbana

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

I second a PP suggestion of discussing your dogs behaviour with a vet or a trainer and take their advice.

I would pay the medical bill at the end of the day it was your dog that bit the man and I would document the situation your responses and pay the amount ask for a copy of the invoice.

Good luck I hope that perhaps some intervention training can help your dog.

#16 MoonPie

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE (JRA @ 09/01/2013, 10:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If a person cannot walk near a dog without being bitten, that is not the person's fault. Don't blame the victim.

I should rephrase. I'm not blaming the victim. I'm saying don't blame the dog, either. When looked at through the dog's eyes, someone got into the personal space of his pack, he issued a warning which was ignored and even challenged, so he protected his pack.

#17 FiveAus

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

No idea about the legal ramifications but your dog bites, don't ever let it get in a position where it can bite anyone else. He should only be walked by an adult, he should be kept well away from passers by, which means vigilance on the part of the person holding the lead, and he needs to be muzzled.

At home, he should be separated from visiting children, with no exceptions.

To the PP who said they hoped their dog would bite in that situation, don't EVER wish your dog would bite anyone.

#18 JRA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

But it seems it is the second time he has bitten someone. The first time it was lucky he just tore the mans trousers.

#19 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

I think you need to pay the bill and for any other medical expenses he incurs.

If it were me I'd be offering him $200 or something to go away and get him to sign an indemnity to leave it at that. Is be horrified if my animal injured another person in reasonably normal circumstances.

ETA: animal not anal but I'm glad autocorrect didn't change it to anus. Lol

Edited by Sunnycat, 09 January 2013 - 01:11 PM.

#20 JRA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE (Sunnycat @ 09/01/2013, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you need to pay the bill and for any other medical expenses he incurs.

If it were me I'd be offering him $200 or something to go away and get him to sign an indemnity to leave it at that. Is be horrified if my anal injured another person in reasonably normal circumstances.

Don't you love auto correct!!!

#21 Kalota

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

I would be quite happy paying the $70 for the man's tetanus shot, as I would probably feel quite bad sad.gif

I've owned bitey dogs before, but they have always been smaller dogs/terriers who didn't cause a lot of damage when they did bite, and I knew what triggered them to bite so I would avoid that to make sure no one got hurt. I would never consider putting a dog down over biting incidences such as the ones you are describing sad.gif

The last dog I owned was fine with my partner and I, but if approached/touched/interrogated or intimated by strangers, he would try to bite them. For this reason, whenever I took him out for a walk or play I would always leave him on the leash AND I would warn people if they came too close, e.g. "Hi there! This little one can be a bit snappy so please don't try to pat him!" And everything was fine.

I would not put the dog down, I would jus be more wary about controlling the leash around strangers, and warn people like I suggested when they get too close.

#22 Avidlearner1

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

Where I live, the owner of the dog or the person in charge of the dog at the time of an attack is legally and financially liable for any costs involved as a result of the dog attack.

This is regardless of whether the person came close to the dog, whether the person was at the dogs property etc. Of course, if the dog is provoked, then it is considered a different matter but still investigated.

http://www.casey.vic.gov.au/pets/article.asp?Item=3502

I think you should pay, if you are wanting to prove payment has been made, type up a simple receipt and have them sign it.

With regards to the dog, there are a few things I would consider:

1. In the previous two attacks, from the information provided it didn't appear to be provoked. This is concerning. If you are going to keep the dog, then some obedience training is needed so the dog is used to being around many other dogs and people of various degrees at once.

2. While he is being trained, if you are going to go out with the dog in public a halter or muzzle is probably going to be the safest option for all involved. I would also ensure the person in charge of the dog at the time is clearly in control, and ensures that when people are within the immediate vicinity of the dog that the dogs attention is with them.

This is a hard decision, I am a dog person, I have two dogs, one we have worked hard with when out in public as she was nervous and insecure (which came across as growling) and another who is so laid back and casual that he has been the victim of dog attack.

#23 HeartMyBoys

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

If your dog reacts that way to someone making a noise, then what about a child who pulls its ears or something like that. It's happened twice, and i think both times you've gotten off pretty lightly. Third time maybe not so lucky.
I defnitely agree you should muzzle the dog from now on when walking it.

#24 FeralLIfeHacker

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE (asdf89 @ 09/01/2013, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Definitely start walking the dog with a muzzle. Also, how did your DD react when the dog started barking at the man? Did she pull him closer/say no etc?

I don't know what the legal ramifications would be, but think you should pay the money as he wouldn't have need to go to the doctor if not for your dog.

Yes she did pull him closer and try to keep him from the man but by all accounts he walked 'really close' which didn't allow her to totally stop him from reaching the man.

I didn't think about paying into their acct, I will see if dh can get the details tonight and pay it that way then we both have a record.

I think I will call the vet, who already has bit of history about him, the vet was the once that first pointed out that he was 'headshy', he would crouch when the vet tried to pat him, during vaccinations etc.

Muzzle is a great idea, I will get one and not allow them to take him out without it, that should take away the risk of him biting anyone out in public.

He's not left alone with the baby ever, although I guess there is always the potential for that to happen, which is worrying but maybe the vet will have some advice on training/ behaviour therapy.

thanks everyone, great advice as usual original.gif

#25 Ally'smum

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

I would pay the $70 - your dog bit someone, that is your responsibility.

If it were me I wouldn't keep the dog. We had a dog that was fine with us, but one day out of the blue attempted to attack a young child on a bike, we took him to the RSPCA that day. I could not live with the risk of him hurting anyone.

If you have a very young child, I couldn't live with that risk.

Also, yes this man may have gotten close but in no way should you blame the victim for what happened, what if a young child was to get too close?

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.