Child not wanting to go to play date....
Help! Need advice quickly!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

....do you make them go anyway?

DD has a play date with a friend from school but doesn't want to go as the last time they met up, the friend, along with another friend, excluded DD from playing with them and told her she was wearing an ugly dress. Previous to that time, DD and this friend have gotten along well.

The play date is today and DD is adamant she does not want to go. I think she should go and give the friend another chance, but I don't know if it's the right thing to force her to go. And what would I say to the Mum if I cancel (have already cancelled once, due to DD being sick).

What would you do?

Edited by Swahili, 09 January 2013 - 11:29 AM.

#2 Cath42

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

If only they weren't at school together, you could just knock the friendship on the head and tell your daughter she never had to play with this girl again. But given that your daughter will encounter this girl again at school this year, I think it might be best to let the play date go ahead. It's a hard one, isn't it? I guess at the back of your mind is, "What if this girl is mean again, and then my daughter has to go to school knowing this girl is going to be there?"

Does the mother of this other girl know about the previous incident? If she does, it might be worth calling her and explaining that (a) your daughter was quite badly affected by the incident and is expressing concerns about having another play date and (b) you're really concerned that this play date go well so that the problem is sorted out before school starts. That puts the onus on the other mother to supervise her daughter and make sure that her daughter understands that exclusion is not okay. If she doesn't know, she'd probably want to know. I'd certainly want to be told if my daughter was mean to another child like that.

*Edited to add: I do have some experience of this kind of situation, from the other side of the fence. My 8-year-old (A) and a girl in her class (B) were mean to a third girl in their class © last year at school. The three girls had always been such good friends prior to this incident. I didn't know anything about what had been happening at school until C's mother spoke to me at a swimming lesson and told me what had been happening. I was so upset that I cried, and I apologised profusely to C's mother. My daughter had never done anything like that before that I knew of (and has never done anything like it since). What I suggested to this mother that we do was that (a) I would speak to my daughter and tell her that her behaviour was completely unacceptable, (b) I would speak to the parents of B, who I know well, and tell them what had been happening and © my daughter would invite C over to play one on one and we would get the friendship back on track. The upshot was that I did what I said I would do, and everything was fine again. Unfortunately, the parents of B didn't think the bullying was a big deal and didn't do anything with B to address it. In fact, they thought the incidents were "funny". The end result has been that B has gone on to bully other children at school and is beginning to struggle socially. Very sad for B.

Edited by Cath42, 09 January 2013 - 11:53 AM.

#3 ~littlebirdy~

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

I think it depends on their age too. My 5 yr DD had a similar thing yesterday and didn't want to go at first (not as strongly as yours though) but we did go and she had a good time. Previous issues have been because of a 3rd friend in the mix which never works.

#4 SylviaPlath

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

I wouldn't make her go. I know that you can't cotton wool them forever, but as an adult, I wouldnt go to something knowing that I would be excluded. It would be like torture. So why would it be any different for a child. She made the decision, she owns it.

My suggestion would be to talk to the parent and tell them what DD told you. Any decent parent would be horrified and would have a good stern talk to their child about it and make sure that this behaviour stops. They can also keep an eye out. I would then tell DD what I have done and give her the option of choosing to go or not.

I wouldn't lie to the parent. The only way anything can be corrected, is if the person, or in this case, the parent of the person is aware of the situation.

#5 JapNFeral

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

Is the additional friend going to be there? Three never works IMO especiallty with girls.

Yes, I think that you should talk to the parent and then your DD should give child another chance.

Resiliance is a life skill needed by us all.

#6 fifi-trixibelle

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

Is there just going to your DD and the one other girl there this time?

#7 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

I wouldn't send her if the other girl is going to be there as well and I'd just tell the mum she doesn't want to go.

If the other friend isn't going to be there I'd try to encourage her to go but wouldn't force it.

#8 Holidayromp

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

Why force the issue?  It is meant to be fun for all concerned.  If she doesn't want to go don't.  Be up front and tell the other mum why and leave it at that.  If the Mum says that the girl won't be there then take it from there but follow your daughter's lead.  It is not much fun being on a playdate and feeling leftout and unwanted.

#9 Natttmumm

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

I wouldn't force her and I'd tell the mum she didn't seem herself and wasn't up for it today

#10 protart roflcoptor

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

As pps have said, I found that 3 girls playing together mostly ended in tears. The dynamic seemed to be 2 against 1, didn't matter which 2 or 1.

So if there are the 3 of them playing today it could very well happen again, but if it is a one on one playdate she will probably be ok.

#11 maurie

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

I wouldn't make her go.   I was in a similar situation last year and I mentioned the exclusion problem to the other parent (who was my best friend of 20 years).   She took offence, said her child would never do such a thing and my child should just suck it up and get over herself, that she shouldn't be so quiet when other kids are there and that her dd could have other friends over to play when we came.

We rarely see them now - sometimes I wish I'd just said I was ill and couldn't make it that day.

#12 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

It's just the two of them, and DD was wavering a bit, so I've dropped her off. I've told DD to let the friend's Mum know if she wants to be picked up early. The friend is usually lovely, so hopefully it was just a one off. I'll steer clear of play dates with just 3 in the future.

#13 Team Awesome

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

I'm reading little girls can be men at the moment as girl bullying is (mosty) emotional and exclusion/inclusion backwards and forwards behaviour I kept changing friends myself as part of the "just ignore it and find someone else to play with then" type mindset so I don't know how to empower and give my girls the tools to deal with it.

Unfortunately, in my experience at least, the mums who were instigators of the behaviors when they have children perpetuate and don't see it as a problem.

I'm not very far into it but hoping to get it finished before school goes back with two girls at school this year and strong non conformers at that I need all the ideas I can get hold of.

#14 mumandboys

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

I wouldn't make my child go on a playdate if they didn't want to.

I would probably be honest and say "X doesn't want to, for some reason".  Kids are often flaky - I wouldn't be offended if I got this response from another mum.

#15 FeralProudSwahili

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

She had a great time and wants to meet up with her friend for another play next week. I'm glad I trusted my gut instinct.

#16 Missy Shelby

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE (Swahili @ 09/01/2013, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
She had a great time and wants to meet up with her friend for another play next week. I'm glad I trusted my gut instinct.

Awesome result OP!  My DD1 has a friend that she never wants to go on play dates with but when we go she always ends up having a great time and I like her playing with this little girl as I think she is a great influence on my dd1.

By this I mean she is very confident socially and as my DD1 is quite anxious in social situations this little girls confidence seems to rub off onto my girl (for the play date anyway original.gif ).

#17 mumto4boys

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE (Team Awesome @ 09/01/2013, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm reading little girls can be men at the moment as girl bullying is (mosty) emotional and exclusion/inclusion backwards and forwards behaviour I kept changing friends myself as part of the "just ignore it and find someone else to play with then" type mindset so I don't know how to empower and give my girls the tools to deal with it.

Unfortunately, in my experience at least, the mums who were instigators of the behaviors when they have children perpetuate and don't see it as a problem.

I'm not very far into it but hoping to get it finished before school goes back with two girls at school this year and strong non conformers at that I need all the ideas I can get hold of.

Track down a copy of the book, Queen Bees and Wanna Bees, it is full of excellent advice for parents of girls.

OP- I was going to suggest staying for a coffee when you drop DD off, to get a bit of a feel for how things were starting out and picking up early, just in case. Glad to hear that it went well though. This is also a good lesson for kids. Sometimes we all face situations we are worried about and it can all end well.

Edited by mumto4boys, 09 January 2013 - 05:46 PM.

#18 vanessa71

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

I would definitely have made her go. DD has not wanted to go certain places before, however there are times when she just doesn't have the choice, she has always had a great time and has been thankful that she went.

Edited by vanessa71, 09 January 2013 - 06:17 PM.

#19 lucky 2

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

QUOTE (JAPN2 @ 09/01/2013, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is the additional friend going to be there? Three never works IMO especiallty with girls.

Yes, I think that you should talk to the parent and then your DD should give child another chance.

Resiliance is a life skill needed by us all.

I agree with this, that's what I'd do.
My dd has a "threesome" problem at school (it will likely continue into this year) and it can get pretty mucked up and emotional.
You could work out some strategies ie if there are any hurtful, rude or exlusive comments/behaviour, perhaps the 3 step rule like at some schools or going to see the mum.
I hope it works out well, kids can change their minds and feelings in an instance if they feel like it.
All the best.

#20 howdoyoudoit

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

glad you sent her..I would have as well.

I don't see how today generation will learn skills if their decision to not do something means that they get to do what they want. Sometimes we have to do things we don't like and sometimes kid's learn from this experience as your daughter did and had fun. Ofcourse there are situations I wouldn't let my child go to but that is from a safety point of view

#21 Aruneh

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:12 AM

Glad she had a good time. original.gif

I want to know why girls do this ganging up thing though.
DD had just turned 3 when this (2 against 1) started happening and she was very upset. She meets the same set of girls at preschool so hopefully she is learning how to deal with it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

WIN two Sea-Bands plus $1000

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band Prize Pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos Gift Card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.