Registering a baby name in NSW - can you register both full name with nickname?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 antigone_

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

The NSW Births, Deaths and Marriages site is down today so I haven't been able to try looking this up but I'd like to know if there are various ways you can register a baby name.

My grandmother was registered as:

Etheldreda (Audrey) Middle name, Last name,

so Audrey, the name she was actually called, was offically part of her name. This was in the UK in the 1920s, however.

If I wanted to register my baby's name as, for example:

Elizabeth (Betsy) Beatrix Last name

Would this be possible?

Has anyone else registered the intended nickname, together with the full name?

Edited by antigone_, 08 January 2013 - 09:19 PM.

#2 antigone_

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

Will swap them, thanks original.gif

Edited by antigone_, 08 January 2013 - 09:18 PM.

#3 Chief Pancake Make

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

I recently registered our babies name and I don't recall any provision for nicknames.  I was just the standard form with fill in the boxes for first names and surname - so unless you added the nickname as part of the name I dont think you can, ie the name would end up Elizabeth Betsy Beatrix Smith - Betsy would be a middle name.

#4 Puggle

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

Register the full name, then most forms (school enrolment etc) seem to have a space for 'preferred name' so you can fill in the nickname there.

#5 tibs

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

Didn't see a way to do that when I registered my DD 2 months ago.

#6 antigone_

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

I just seems a shame that the intended nickname can never be more official, especially in cases where the nickname is quite radically different from the formal name.

I am really in doubt about using my favourite name (Kit) because I want him to be called it exclusively, but also want my father's name of Christopher on the birth certificate, even though he won't ever be called Christopher.

I wish there was some simple way of formalising the nickname - so simple just to put it in brackets as per my grandmother's birth registration sad.gif

#7 PatG

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

If you really want both Christopher and Kit as names on the birth cert then just put them both on.  E.g. Christopher Kit Brown.  Even if you could do it like you Grandmother's seems to have been, what does the child door the rest of his life where there isn't provision on any form he comes across to do anything except first, middle(s), last?  As PPs said, schools usually have "known by" or "preferred name". Often used by students with Asian names who also have an anglicised one, as well as the Thomas (Tom) scenario.

#8 antigone_

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

For all intents and purposes, Kit will indeed be the nickname he has for life, unless he decides otherwise. I don't know why people always challenge this when I bring up nickname questions.

He will be called Kit but he has a formal name that is never used when addressing him in daily situations. In the unlikely event he changes this, then that's up to him. I know quite a few Charlies of various ages who are Charles on their birth certificates but are never ever called that.

I only ever go by the nickname I've had all my life. I want him to be named Kit exclusively, but honour my father Christopher on paper.

My mother has worked for eight year transcribing old births, deaths and marriages documents from all over the UK and she is the one I've had this discussion with.

#9 ~Mintie~

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

No you can't.

#10 antigone_

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE (PatG @ 08/01/2013, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you really want both Christopher and Kit as names on the birth cert then just put them both on.  E.g. Christopher Kit Brown.  Even if you could do it like you Grandmother's seems to have been, what does the child door the rest of his life where there isn't provision on any form he comes across to do anything except first, middle(s), last?  As PPs said, schools usually have "known by" or "preferred name". Often used by students with Asian names who also have an anglicised one, as well as the Thomas (Tom) scenario.

Yes, perhaps I am over thinking the potential problems - it just snags with me somehow and so I'm feeling like maybe this isn't the best way to name the kid. I'm used to totally intuitive nicknames for my kids and want the best of both worlds with having a family name with a never before used nickname (my father is Chris).

This might be the very thing that drives me just to put Christopher in the middle and use one of the other names on my list. I'll always pine for a son called Kit though.

#11 PatG

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

If its Kit you want to call him then put that as the first name and Christopher as the second. Or the other way around and call hime by his middlename, very common.  I'm not sure why it is more complicated than that? In the example of your Grandmother one of the names was her first and one was the one she was known as, these days it would end up exactly the same but without the brackets.  

I can't think of any way you could have two names with equal billing on a document, even with hyphenated surnames, people have to pick one to be listed first.  Doesn't make the other less important.

Eta, written prior to OP's latest post

Edited by PatG, 08 January 2013 - 09:47 PM.

#12 antigone_

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

QUOTE (~Mintie~ @ 08/01/2013, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No you can't.

Thanks - that's what I needed to know original.gif

#13 antigone_

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE (PatG @ 08/01/2013, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If its Kit you want to call him then put that as the first name and Christopher as the second. Or the other way around and call hime by his middlename, very common.  I'm not sure why it is more complicated than that? In the example of your Grandmother one of the names was her first and one was the one she was known as, these days it would end up exactly the same but without the brackets.  

I can't think of any way you could have two names with equal billing on a document, even with hyphenated surnames, people have to pick one to be listed first.  Doesn't make the other less important.

But Kit and Christopher are the same name - that would irritate me no end. Kit is a long-used (though not often anymore) diminutive of Christopher.

http://www.behindthename.com/name/kit

Just like I wouldn't call my child:

James Hamish
Henry Harry
Margaret Peggy

The middles are all diminutives or versions of the first name.

Edited by antigone_, 08 January 2013 - 09:50 PM.

#14 heffalumpsnwoozles

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

My great grandma was Amelia on her birth certificate, but she was always called Nellie or Nell. I didn't even find out her name was really Amelia until after she died.

Put Christopher on the BC and call him Kit, it'll be fine. original.gif

#15 Magnus

I love the name Kit. Surely it will honour your father Christopher if you name your son Kit, seeing as Kit is a diminutive of Christopher.

#16 au*lit

You're over thinking it. Name him Christopher officially and call him Kit. End of story.

#17 antigone_

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE (heffalumpsnwoozles @ 08/01/2013, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My great grandma was Amelia on her birth certificate, but she was always called Nellie or Nell. I didn't even find out her name was really Amelia until after she died.

Put Christopher on the BC and call him Kit, it'll be fine. original.gif

I just smiled at myself because of your post. I am totally over thinking this original.gif Thanks for reassuring me. It's the very pointy end of my third pregnancy and all I want is an ice cold Chardonnay! I need to dull this whirring head  biggrin.gif rolleyes.gif  Only a few more months!

#18 cezanne

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

Absolutely! Kit is my favourite diminutive of Christopher. Surely you wouldn't think to register him as Christopher (Chris) MN LN!? Kit just isn't a widely recognised nickname, but it it will be how your child is known.

#19 Expelliarmus

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

It will be fine. My niece is Kathleen. (after her paternal grandmother)

On her birth certificate.

She has ALWAYS been Katie. Her birth announcement was that Kathleen Middle Name Surname to be known as Katie has arrived blah blah blah.

No one has EVER called her Kathleen.

Her parents just called her Katie and so did the rest of the world.

#20 Bel Rowley

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

What I've had a friends do is text birth announcements and put one in the paper: Charlotte "Lottie", Frances "Frankie", Henry "Harry". From that point on there's no confusion - you know you're to call the baby Frankie or Harry, even though it's not on the birth certificate. So that's what I'd do in your situation, send an announcement to everyone "We are pleased to welcome Christopher "Kit" Jones".

#21 JRA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

My grandmother was Ruby all her life, her official name was Annie Rubena. No big deal. She was simply always called Ruby.

DH's father was Jack, which became John, all his life, at the age of about 35 he learned on his birth certificate it was Ray. He never knew that.

#22 TillyTake2

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:48 AM

Whatever you introduce him as is what he will be known as. If you announce his name as Kit then that is what he will be called. You could then put Christopher more formally on his birth certificate. If you wanted, when you announce his arrival you could say "We are pleased to announce that Kit (Christopher) middle name surname arrived today". I'd take that to mean you wanted him referred to as Kit.

#23 Kikki-B

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

I would name him Christopher and call him Kit (I have a friend who it Christopher but has akways been known as Kit and the name all his uni degrees are Christopher (Kit) Surname.
Just wanted to let you know my pop was named J... E... Surname and he has known as Tom his whole life although ther was no way his first or mn could possible make Tom. I asked him how he got his nn and he said he didn't know, just has always been called Tom for as long as he can remember. His full name is actually a family name that both his father and grand-father held so maybe his mum always wanted to name him Tom but couldn't (on paper at least) because of family tradition?

#24 antigone_

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

QUOTE (TillyTake2 @ 09/01/2013, 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whatever you introduce him as is what he will be known as. If you announce his name as Kit then that is what he will be called. You could then put Christopher more formally on his birth certificate. If you wanted, when you announce his arrival you could say "We are pleased to announce that Kit (Christopher) middle name surname arrived today". I'd take that to mean you wanted him referred to as Kit.

I think we'll be doing this. I have a bit more clarity about it today and want to announce very clearly that his name is Kit. If my husband chooses the middle name that I think he will, it won't sund that great with Kit, but it does sound good with Christopher.

Thanks all original.gif I still think it's a real shame we don't have the choice of formalising the intended nickname though. That would be awesome!

#25 IsolaBella

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

As PP have said you can call them whatever you like, but put full version on birth certificate.

DS2 has a long 9 letter name like Christopher. Day to day we call him both Christopher and Kit. I have actually had to put special request to both school and kinder that his FULL name is out in any class lists. The class lists are all Nicknames and they out Kit on it. Fine if others want their kids recorded as NN but for me I like my DSs full name. So I had to request full name is used.

You will have no problems in getting schools etc to use the diminutive. As I said above, I have more issues getting them to use the full name.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Mum assists in own caesarean surgery

A mum who partly delivered her own twins during a caesarean has encouraged other women to take control of their birthing experience.

How to handle common childhood regressions

Regression can be a natural and common part of development prompted by a variety of factors, but that doesn't make it less frustrating.

Disgruntled dad's pram ad goes viral

When buying a second hand pram, there are lots of things to take into consideration. 

Man discovers he's a dad after finding 55-year-old letter

Discovering you are about to father a baby is startling enough - never mind finding out you have a 61-year-old son.

15 thoughts mums have during a tantrum

Ranging from mild to feral and triggered by events both minor and major, tantrums certainly keep life interesting.

Natural pain relief in the early stages of labour

While managing labour pains on your own can be daunting, there are a number of natural pain relief options to help you cope until you are admitted to hospital.

Forgotten Baby Syndrome claims the life of toddler

One baby dies every eight days in the back of a car in the US, victims of 'forgotten baby syndrome'.

For a brief time, I was touched by an angel

For a brief time, I was touched by an angel. You stole my heart, and changed me into the women I am today.

Chrissie Swan has reached her "sex quota"

Chrissie Swan says she and her partner have sex once a year due to her fear of falling pregnant.

Chinese woman gives birth to quintuplets

After six years of trying for a baby, a couple’s dreams have come true many times over after the mum gave birth to quintuplets this week.

Five-year-old shoots nine-month-old brother dead

A nine-month-old baby boy died on Monday after he was shot in the head by his five-year-old brother in their grandfather's home.

'Is that baby yours?'

She is my daughter. I gave birth to her. I nurse her. But she doesn't have any of my genes.

Episiotomy in childbirth: not just 'a little snip'

Episiotomies have a place in maternity care – and can occasionally save lives – but should not be performed routinely.

Toddler aggression not caused by language delays after all: study

The logic was that children who don’t have the language to fully express themselves will lash out when they’re misunderstood. Not anymore.

Why we chose to adopt a child with Down sydrome

Everyone in foster care (and really in life) has something that makes them more vulnerable. We just know what our son's is.

Object of desire

Curvy mums make clever babies

Scientists appear to have discovered why women have evolved to have more curves than men – shapely thighs and bottoms lead to healthier babies.

'We'll make sure they know how much she loved them'

A first-time mum will never get to hold her four newborns, dying shortly after giving birth to the quadruplets.

The baby names NZ knocked back in 2014

A New Zealander has tried to name their baby Senior Constable but didn't get away with it - and numbering children is also a no-no.

How can you go into labour without knowing you're pregnant?

For most of us, the idea that a woman could carry a child to full-term without knowing she is pregnant is mind-boggling.

Will you get to the hospital in time?

Worrying your baby will be delivered by the roadside is a common concern for many mothers-to-be. So how likely are you to be caught short?

Win an Octonauts prize pack

To celebrate the launch of Octonauts Live! Operation Reef Shield, a spectacular underwater adventure live on stage, we are giving away an amazing Octonauts prize pack to one lucky fan.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Stars help save choking babies

It's an important lesson to learn, but one that busy new mums and dads might overlook until it's too late.

New Girl star Zooey Deschanel pregnant

Actress Zooey Deschanel is expecting her first child with her producer boyfriend Jacob Pechenik.

16 times 'dad reflexes' saved the day

Of course, in some cases they may be the ones who actually got their child into a precarious position in the first place, but we'll ignore that for now.

Couple's 'non-traditional' pregnancy announcement goes viral

Knowing you are not the father of your pregnant wife's baby would usually indicate a rocky relationship ahead for traditional parents.

The trials and tribulations of identical triplet newborns

Pip Donnelly is still playing spot the difference with her newborn identical triplets, Isabelle, Georgina and Frankie.

Win an Octonauts prize pack

To celebrate the launch of Octonauts Live! Operation Reef Shield, a spectacular underwater adventure live on stage, we are giving away an amazing Octonauts prize pack to one lucky fan.

Earthquake baby thriving five years on

Jenny Alexis is lucky to be alive after spending four days buried in the rubble of the 2010 Haitian earthquake, but now she's a thriving five year old.

Please don't say I'm lucky because I was adopted

On the one hand I was having a regular life with friends and sports and sleepovers and school. But I was also always wondering: Did my mother love me? What was wrong with me?

An open letter to non-parents who offer advice on child-rearing

Kitty, when you’re the parent of my child you’re welcome to wade in with an opinion – but until then, I’d prefer you to have a supportive ear and a glass of wine ready.

Couple arrested over baby gun video

A US couple faces charges after investigators say they found mobile phone videos showing the woman's 12-month-old daughter putting a handgun in her mouth.

NSW Health dumps 10-year limit on frozen embryos

A 10-year time limit on storing frozen embryos that were created with donor sperm has been dropped by the NSW government.

How my happy-go-lucky husband became a monster

Sharan Nicholson-Rogers watched her husband change from a happy-go-lucky police officer into an unpredictable man prone to violent and emotional outbursts.

Dads-to-be experience hormonal changes, too

Dads-to-be experience hormonal changes in line with their pregnant partners, a new study shows.

'They were just doing their job': mum of toddler killed in police chase gone wrong

"They were just doing their job. I feel so sorry for them. It is all just too sad."

Miscarriages to be formally recognised by NSW government

Women who miscarry will be able to obtain an optional "recognition of loss" certificate as a formal recognition of their often heartbreaking loss.

Cafe cubby house 'too noisy' for neighbours

Teenage parties, domestic disputes, or raucous late night pubs are the things that usually come to mind when you think neighbourhood noise complaints.

Dad films baby playing with snake

Most parents would not consider a snake an appropriate playmate for their baby, but a US dad who filmed his daughter playing with a python has defended himself against criticism.

Clever breastfeeding products

Check out this range of products designed to help make your breastfeeding journey more enjoyable, manageable and convenient.

Back to School Offer

Findababysitter.com.au

We've got you covered for this school year. Use www.findababysitter.com.au to meet local nannies now.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.