Registering a baby name in NSW - can you register both full name with nickname?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 antigone_

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

The NSW Births, Deaths and Marriages site is down today so I haven't been able to try looking this up but I'd like to know if there are various ways you can register a baby name.

My grandmother was registered as:

Etheldreda (Audrey) Middle name, Last name,

so Audrey, the name she was actually called, was offically part of her name. This was in the UK in the 1920s, however.

If I wanted to register my baby's name as, for example:

Elizabeth (Betsy) Beatrix Last name

Would this be possible?

Has anyone else registered the intended nickname, together with the full name?

Edited by antigone_, 08 January 2013 - 09:19 PM.

#2 FluffyOscar

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

Was Audrey your grandmother's nickname, or was Etheldreda?

#3 antigone_

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

Will swap them, thanks original.gif

Edited by antigone_, 08 January 2013 - 09:18 PM.

#4 Chief Pancake Make

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

I recently registered our babies name and I don't recall any provision for nicknames.  I was just the standard form with fill in the boxes for first names and surname - so unless you added the nickname as part of the name I dont think you can, ie the name would end up Elizabeth Betsy Beatrix Smith - Betsy would be a middle name.

#5 Puggle

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

Register the full name, then most forms (school enrolment etc) seem to have a space for 'preferred name' so you can fill in the nickname there.

#6 tibs

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

Didn't see a way to do that when I registered my DD 2 months ago.

#7 antigone_

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

I just seems a shame that the intended nickname can never be more official, especially in cases where the nickname is quite radically different from the formal name.

I am really in doubt about using my favourite name (Kit) because I want him to be called it exclusively, but also want my father's name of Christopher on the birth certificate, even though he won't ever be called Christopher.

I wish there was some simple way of formalising the nickname - so simple just to put it in brackets as per my grandmother's birth registration sad.gif

#8 PatG

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

If you really want both Christopher and Kit as names on the birth cert then just put them both on.  E.g. Christopher Kit Brown.  Even if you could do it like you Grandmother's seems to have been, what does the child door the rest of his life where there isn't provision on any form he comes across to do anything except first, middle(s), last?  As PPs said, schools usually have "known by" or "preferred name". Often used by students with Asian names who also have an anglicised one, as well as the Thomas (Tom) scenario.

#9 antigone_

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

For all intents and purposes, Kit will indeed be the nickname he has for life, unless he decides otherwise. I don't know why people always challenge this when I bring up nickname questions.

He will be called Kit but he has a formal name that is never used when addressing him in daily situations. In the unlikely event he changes this, then that's up to him. I know quite a few Charlies of various ages who are Charles on their birth certificates but are never ever called that.

I only ever go by the nickname I've had all my life. I want him to be named Kit exclusively, but honour my father Christopher on paper.

My mother has worked for eight year transcribing old births, deaths and marriages documents from all over the UK and she is the one I've had this discussion with.

#10 ~Mintie~

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

No you can't.

#11 antigone_

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE (PatG @ 08/01/2013, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you really want both Christopher and Kit as names on the birth cert then just put them both on.  E.g. Christopher Kit Brown.  Even if you could do it like you Grandmother's seems to have been, what does the child door the rest of his life where there isn't provision on any form he comes across to do anything except first, middle(s), last?  As PPs said, schools usually have "known by" or "preferred name". Often used by students with Asian names who also have an anglicised one, as well as the Thomas (Tom) scenario.

Yes, perhaps I am over thinking the potential problems - it just snags with me somehow and so I'm feeling like maybe this isn't the best way to name the kid. I'm used to totally intuitive nicknames for my kids and want the best of both worlds with having a family name with a never before used nickname (my father is Chris).

This might be the very thing that drives me just to put Christopher in the middle and use one of the other names on my list. I'll always pine for a son called Kit though.

#12 PatG

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

If its Kit you want to call him then put that as the first name and Christopher as the second. Or the other way around and call hime by his middlename, very common.  I'm not sure why it is more complicated than that? In the example of your Grandmother one of the names was her first and one was the one she was known as, these days it would end up exactly the same but without the brackets.  

I can't think of any way you could have two names with equal billing on a document, even with hyphenated surnames, people have to pick one to be listed first.  Doesn't make the other less important.

Eta, written prior to OP's latest post

Edited by PatG, 08 January 2013 - 09:47 PM.

#13 antigone_

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

QUOTE (~Mintie~ @ 08/01/2013, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No you can't.

Thanks - that's what I needed to know original.gif

#14 antigone_

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE (PatG @ 08/01/2013, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If its Kit you want to call him then put that as the first name and Christopher as the second. Or the other way around and call hime by his middlename, very common.  I'm not sure why it is more complicated than that? In the example of your Grandmother one of the names was her first and one was the one she was known as, these days it would end up exactly the same but without the brackets.  

I can't think of any way you could have two names with equal billing on a document, even with hyphenated surnames, people have to pick one to be listed first.  Doesn't make the other less important.

But Kit and Christopher are the same name - that would irritate me no end. Kit is a long-used (though not often anymore) diminutive of Christopher.

http://www.behindthename.com/name/kit

Just like I wouldn't call my child:

James Hamish
Henry Harry
Margaret Peggy

The middles are all diminutives or versions of the first name.

Edited by antigone_, 08 January 2013 - 09:50 PM.

#15 heffalumpsnwoozles

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

My great grandma was Amelia on her birth certificate, but she was always called Nellie or Nell. I didn't even find out her name was really Amelia until after she died.

Put Christopher on the BC and call him Kit, it'll be fine. original.gif

#16 Magnus

I love the name Kit. Surely it will honour your father Christopher if you name your son Kit, seeing as Kit is a diminutive of Christopher.

#17 au*lit

You're over thinking it. Name him Christopher officially and call him Kit. End of story.

#18 antigone_

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE (heffalumpsnwoozles @ 08/01/2013, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My great grandma was Amelia on her birth certificate, but she was always called Nellie or Nell. I didn't even find out her name was really Amelia until after she died.

Put Christopher on the BC and call him Kit, it'll be fine. original.gif

I just smiled at myself because of your post. I am totally over thinking this original.gif Thanks for reassuring me. It's the very pointy end of my third pregnancy and all I want is an ice cold Chardonnay! I need to dull this whirring head  biggrin.gif rolleyes.gif  Only a few more months!

#19 cezanne

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

Absolutely! Kit is my favourite diminutive of Christopher. Surely you wouldn't think to register him as Christopher (Chris) MN LN!? Kit just isn't a widely recognised nickname, but it it will be how your child is known.

#20 Expelliarmus

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

It will be fine. My niece is Kathleen. (after her paternal grandmother)

On her birth certificate.

She has ALWAYS been Katie. Her birth announcement was that Kathleen Middle Name Surname to be known as Katie has arrived blah blah blah.

No one has EVER called her Kathleen.

Her parents just called her Katie and so did the rest of the world.

#21 Bel Rowley

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

What I've had a friends do is text birth announcements and put one in the paper: Charlotte "Lottie", Frances "Frankie", Henry "Harry". From that point on there's no confusion - you know you're to call the baby Frankie or Harry, even though it's not on the birth certificate. So that's what I'd do in your situation, send an announcement to everyone "We are pleased to welcome Christopher "Kit" Jones".

#22 JRA

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:45 AM

My grandmother was Ruby all her life, her official name was Annie Rubena. No big deal. She was simply always called Ruby.

DH's father was Jack, which became John, all his life, at the age of about 35 he learned on his birth certificate it was Ray. He never knew that.

#23 TillyTake2

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:48 AM

Whatever you introduce him as is what he will be known as. If you announce his name as Kit then that is what he will be called. You could then put Christopher more formally on his birth certificate. If you wanted, when you announce his arrival you could say "We are pleased to announce that Kit (Christopher) middle name surname arrived today". I'd take that to mean you wanted him referred to as Kit.

#24 Kikki-B

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:53 AM

I would name him Christopher and call him Kit (I have a friend who it Christopher but has akways been known as Kit and the name all his uni degrees are Christopher (Kit) Surname.
Just wanted to let you know my pop was named J... E... Surname and he has known as Tom his whole life although ther was no way his first or mn could possible make Tom. I asked him how he got his nn and he said he didn't know, just has always been called Tom for as long as he can remember. His full name is actually a family name that both his father and grand-father held so maybe his mum always wanted to name him Tom but couldn't (on paper at least) because of family tradition?

#25 antigone_

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

QUOTE (TillyTake2 @ 09/01/2013, 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Whatever you introduce him as is what he will be known as. If you announce his name as Kit then that is what he will be called. You could then put Christopher more formally on his birth certificate. If you wanted, when you announce his arrival you could say "We are pleased to announce that Kit (Christopher) middle name surname arrived today". I'd take that to mean you wanted him referred to as Kit.

I think we'll be doing this. I have a bit more clarity about it today and want to announce very clearly that his name is Kit. If my husband chooses the middle name that I think he will, it won't sund that great with Kit, but it does sound good with Christopher.

Thanks all original.gif I still think it's a real shame we don't have the choice of formalising the intended nickname though. That would be awesome!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.