New York with 23 month old
Would anyone do it? In March?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 kandj

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:34 PM

Hi

We've been contemplating doing a last minute trip to the states before our daughter turns two and we have to pay for her original.gif
We have taken her long distance before and she was a really good traveller.

My main issue is will it be too cold to do much with her and will it be too "in your face for her?

any tips for accommodation?

or should we just abandon these idea's and head somewhere else original.gif

Thanks!!!

#2 Miss Kiwi

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

Personally I wouldn't take a 2 yr old to NYC, a big city type holiday with a little one is just not my idea of fun.

A holiday at a Fiji resort with a kids club, pool (and bar) and nannies that cost $4 an hour sounds like a more enjoyable and relaxing holiday for all IMO:)

#3 Fabulous

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

We went when our youngest was 16 months and it was fantastic. We stayed in a hotel that was made up of old apartments so it felt like a home away from home. we went in March for 7 nights and didn't wear a jumper until our last day. I think we just got a warm spell though.

Edited by Fabulous, 08 January 2013 - 04:56 PM.

#4 kandj

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

I should add, we just went on a trip to europe for a month in october-november. the biggest city we went to was florence - which she loved (for the pigeon chasing and dog spotting). She was a very cruisey traveller and quite enjoyed herself. We were very lucky to have really good weather though which meant we were able to be outdoors quite a bit.
So I guess I'm thinking she might handle it? Though I'm obviously not 100% confident!!!! I think I'm most apprehensive about the weather limiting getting about??

We're not really good with the whole kids club/resort style holidays for longer then about 3 days. We attempted it last year in march for 10 days and it really was about 7 days too long original.gif

#5 elegie

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:03 PM

NY would be great fun, the only thing to put me off would be having bub on my lap for such a looooong flight (think NO SLEEP). You could be lucky and get a spare seat or two, but maybe not.

DS flew about 25 times before his 2nd birthday, and as a baby it was easy but by the last flight (22 months) I couldn't wait to buy a seat for him. It was a short flight (thank goodness) but I had to follow him around the whole time while he made friends with fellow passengers and hosties, and meals with him on our laps were impossible.

#6 Penguin78

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

I visited NYC without kids, but I was surprised at how many things are on offer for kids. Museums, parks, shows etc. We were considering doing it this year but wanted to go to Disneyland instead.

#7 elegie

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

double post

Edited by elegie, 08 January 2013 - 05:12 PM.

#8 Peanut

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

If your DD is a good traveller then I'd go for it!  NYC will probably be cold but there is the subway and taxi's and really, so many things to do with kids there!

#9 baddmammajamma

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

ETA: Missed your earlier post! Take warnings about long haul travel with appropriate grain of salt. wink.gif

Former NYC resident (and American in Australia with TONS of experience flying with under 2s on long haul flights)

New York is an awesome, awesome place to visit, but I wouldn't go in March just to take advantage of a slightly reduced flight cost with a "lap baby" (it's not totally free to fly with a lap child -- you still have to pay a portion of your ticket (full fare + taxes) for the luxury of having a kid on your lap for 24 hours!)

First of all, that is a really long distance to be flying with a 23-month-old on your lap (and not particularly safe for her in the event of turbulence)

Second, March is not typically a fabulous month weather wise. Average lows/highs are 1C - 9C (with a mean of 6C). The temps rise dramatically in April & May, with everything in bloom. March is often too early to get the lovely spring blossoming.

Given that NYC is an expensive city to visit (lots of free things to see, but food & accommodation in the city will set you back a fair bit), I would be inclined to "do it up right" -- that is:

* Go at a better time of year (like Northern hemisphere spring, late summer, or early autumn)
* Go when your daughter is a bit older and can totally appreciate all of the many things to see & do there

Really, the only thing you'd be saving is a portion of an airfare (offset by a long & likely challenging flight). Just not worth the cost in my book, and I say this loving New York to the depths of my soul!

If you are keen to sneak in a trip before your daughter turns 2 and insist on doing the "lap" thing, how about somewhere urban & awesome for kids like Singapore? It's an 8 hour flight from Sydney -- Singapore Air is notorious for good customer service on board, and you will not lack for great stuff to do once you land.

Happy travels!!!

Edited by baddmammajamma, 08 January 2013 - 05:55 PM.

#10 baddmammajamma

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

Whoops -- missed your post about your daughter being a good traveller (and you not liking the chill out island vibe).

I still vote for Singapore, with New York on the horizon for when she is older. March just doesn't inspire me the way that April through October do!

Good luck with your decision!

#11 Peanut

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:59 PM

Singapore is another of my favourite places, so I can second BMJ with that!

Sorry, I'm no help.

Edited by Peanut, 08 January 2013 - 06:01 PM.

#12 s'peachykeen

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

I can't speak with BMJ's authority on this original.gif , but we were in New York in January last year. It was 'choose your bra and backpack for their insulation value'-cold, but I'd still consider taking a 2 year old. It's just a great city.

That said, it's not a wildly *child-friendly* city (IMO!). Pram access is not great, nappy-change facilities don't seem to be that prominent, etc. But I hear most of Italy is similar, and if you've enjoyed Florence, I imagine you'll navigate New York just fine biggrin.gif

#13 kandj

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies!

BMJ, thanks for the local insight re the weather - which is the main concern really original.gif  

Virgin only charge $25 each way for an infant, so a $1300 saving....

the flights I'm looking at are 21/3-3/4, I was thinking it would be cold - but not sure if I'm so keen on a 6 degree average - I was thinking it would be more like 11 or 12 (which being from Melbourne considered fine).

The other option we were looking at was Japan. (Singapore didn't really grab us when we stopped over on the way home in October - we have friends there and stayed for a few days).

We figure we haven't been, its a bit closer and has some interesting stuff to do - plus it seems it will be different enough from SE Asia where we have done loads of travel.

But something just keeps me going back to the New York idea when everything seems much more sensible to do just do Japan!

I guess really, its a very nice quandary to be having original.gif

#14 Peanut

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE (kandj @ 08/01/2013, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But something just keeps me going back to the New York idea when everything seems much more sensible to do just do Japan!

That's because New York is AWESOME....speaking from a recently fallen-in-love with NYC visitor though!   blush.gif

I've never been to Japan, are the temperatures going to be much different at that time of year?

Edited by Peanut, 08 January 2013 - 06:22 PM.

#15 baddmammajamma

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

I love that you guys are such adventurous travellers -- what a gift for your daughter! original.gif

Just asked my Aussie husband (who is from Melbourne but  lived in NYC for 5 years -- we met there) -- just to make sure I am not being unduly harsh with my recollection of March! wink.gif

His response: "Would this be their ONE big trip to New York? If so, I'd tell them to go at another time. Nothing's in bloom in March -- it's still wintery. They should go later -- like in May -- so they can do all of the great things outdoors."

I can't believe I am discouraging ANYONE from going to NYC because I love that city so much. But one of the things I love most about it is the beautiful parks (archored, of course, by Central Park) and promenades along the rivers. Those things aren't nearly as inspirational and fun if you are cold (IMHO). March *can* get some nice temps, but it can often be a very "blah" time to visit.

If this is going to be your one big trip to NYC, I'd go when you are more likely to get gorgeous weather -- especially given that you will have a young child with you. If you can afford to this trip AND another trip to NYC somewhere in the future, then go for it. New York is spectacular.

Japan sounds very intriguing!

Have you already done my hometown of San Francisco?

Have fun planning your trip!

P.S: You might want to double check the policy with Virgin, as their web site seems to follow the same policy that other international airlines do:

Infants travel free on our domestic and international short haul service; and at 10% of the fare (excluding taxes, fees and surcharges) on our international long haul service – but only if they do not occupy a separate seat.

http://www.virginaustralia.com/au/en/plan/...stance/infants/

Edited by baddmammajamma, 08 January 2013 - 06:28 PM.

#16 kandj

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

Thanks again BMJ!

In response to your husbands thoughts - I think it might be our only trip there (never know tho!)...We haven't been to the states at all and I guess we were thinking if we had the opportunity to go then NYC would be the top of the must see's for us.
We sort of looked at the LA/San Fran options but I wasn't sure if we'd get the big city thrill that we seem to be seeking? We figured Disneyland would be a bit lost on a nearly two year old and couldn't work out if the distances were too far for san fran and las vegas etc given we will only have two weeks to do it.

Would be interested in your thoughts though for that area original.gif

As for the virgin deal, I think it is correct? We flew with Singapore to Italy and Audrey only cost $250 total which isn't 10% of the fare? I know its a budget airline but we only paid $50 for with Airasia too...

Will see what happens when it comes to the final screen and the credit card is being entered I guess!!

Annoyingly I have a tonne of Qantas FF points that we could use - but because they charge so much for an infant we almost pay the same amount just in taxes as we do for the full Virgin fare  huh.gif

I'm starting to think maybe we should just pay the extra dosh and go later in the year....

I will continue pondering  original.gif

#17 Fabulous

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

The good thing about March in NYC is that it is kind of low season. Although apparently there is no official low season.

#18 Peanut

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

We went in early September last year and it was absolutely lovely.  The city itself was a big surprise for me as its "big city" edges are impressively softened by lots of lovely parks and of course, the amazing Central Park.  Prices are generally high no matter when you go, this is one of the premier cities in the world after all.  If this will be your only trip to NYC, and to be honest, most people come away saying they intend to return (including me!), then I'd do it when the city is at its best.  Spring and Autumn are both perfect times to visit IMHO!

#19 lclb

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

I spent 7 months in NYC with my then 11-17 mo old. We were there from Sept '10 to March '11. The winter was horrid (record snow fall) and we were hanging out for March so we could get back outdoors to the park and sun.

March was no better weather wise than the preceding months, it was still cold and it rained, a lot! We barely made it out to the park all month.

NYC is not that friendly for toddlers who are stuck indoors. It's great if you can mix the parks with the museums and shopping.

If you can afford to wait I would not only for the better weather but also because 24 hours with a 23 month old on your lap is not going to be pleasant! I second September being gorgeous, still warm but not unbearably so.

#20 baddmammajamma

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

September is my favourite month in NYC!

I am certainly not THE resident expert on New York travel, but if this is going to be a big trip for you, it's worth doing it under the best circumstances.

September is generally a lovely month for travel to the U.S, especially the east coast.

#21 kandj

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I think the general consensus is probably right and we should wait until a better time of year...

I was probably rushing things a bit really anyway...We just returned from a big trip to Europe for the month of october, which is why I guess I was trying to reign the budget in....but its not like we actually need a holiday so soon so it really does seem a bit silly to go now - especially given the weather there will be far from ideal.

I hate thinking rationally wink.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.