Show me your cat run! *Kitten pics added*
I apparently now own a cat!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Rosalita

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

Three weeks ago, I picked up a tiny little kitten (around 8wks old) from the middle of the road where he had been hit by a car, off to the vet we raced, $400 later and he has a fractured jaw & a fractured skull & I apparently am now the proud slave owner of a tiny little kitten.

The vet was happy to leave him alone, saying that much of the time these things could heal themselves, with time and not too much insane racing around and leaping through the air at imaginary things that only crazy kittens can see wink.gif added to that, he was eating, complaining meowing loudly & often, had been toileting & moving around, so he brought him home.

Now, I need a cat run as he's an inside cat, but I often find him gazing out the front screen door & honestly I want him to go outside & he able to play, run, climb & laze around in the sun, instead of being boxed in the house all day.

I've checked out lots of cat runs online, but am interested to see if any EBers have had a cat run installed or built one themselves & what if any problems they faced or found after their run was installed/built.

Thanks!

Edited by MummyPig, 09 January 2013 - 02:50 PM.

#2 Apageintime

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

I have built one at an old house, but we basically just closed in an outdoor patio area  with chicken wire, and added some "kitten shelves" - carpeted covered steps up the walls for cats to sleep on.

Good on your for adopting a new master. I hope you adjust to your overlord without too much trouble.

#3 Tarantara

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

I got a custom cat run put in 4 years ago. It's is on the company website as an example.

We put one sheet of mesh between the side of the house and the side fence, then a roof on top. There is a cat door through my kitchen window through a little tunnel, and a platform pole in the middle to keep it stable.

Cats love it!

Mine is the top right example: http://www.bettapetsystems.com.au/gallery.html

#4 *Ker*

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

My brother builds them. Make sure you get cat netting or strong wire as cats can and do chew through them. He's supposed to be building one here...I haven't seen it yet  rolleyes.gif

ETA: Kudos to you and THANK YOU for stopping and picking the poor little mite up!

And...WHERE ARE THE PICS???

Edited by *Ker*, 09 January 2013 - 10:14 AM.

#5 lelo

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

I bought a chicken coop from ebay  for our three cats, it's great because it has indoor and outdoor areas so I could potentially leave them there over night or while we're away all day, etc.

Unfortunately our cats only enjoyed it for about a week until it was taken over by a stray I found with four newborn kittens! The kittens are approaching eight weeks old now so will be hopefully moving out soon original.gif

Here's some pictures of the little guys and their mum enjoying the coop: Kittens!

#6 d├ęsir d'amour

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

Our cats spend all day lazing on window sills looking at the outdoors.  We're meanie cat parents though, and only let them outside when they're on their harnesses.  Then we spend a good 30 minutes letting them sniff the gardens, lounge in the sun and hang out.  Only do it every month or two (because we're slack) and they're fine.   3 cats, a 2.5 bedder and they give no impression of feeling cooped up.  Let's face it, they're asleep for at least 18 hours a day, they don't need that much room Tounge1.gif

#7 Rosalita

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

lelo, we were looking at an aviary, but I have the puuurrfect  wink.gif  spot for a cat run along side our house & our yard is tiny, so we would be using the unused dead space with the cat run on the side & not taking up yard space with an aviary, DH is pretty handy, so he would build it. Your babies are gorgeous, how is Mumma Cat going now, has she settled at all?

Ker, I did think of posting a pic, I'll check it out, I have a couple of when I picked him up and a couple of him now, he is such a ratbag, but such a beautiful boy & he loves our Shih Zhu boy, they get on beautifully, which surprised me, I have my fingers crossed they will remain friends and not end up trying to eat each other.

Jillian_10, Thankyou original.gif I am loving your run, I showed DH last night & he went straight into "I can build that" mode LOL

#8 Exhaustedbuthappy

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

where are you located?

I have my front patio converted into an 'outdoor palace' and they just love sitting in the sun.

I am in Brisbane and went with catenclosures.com.au - they were recommended by my vet.
They were also a 1/3 of the price that the catmax people quoted.

#9 lelo

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

MummyPig using 'wasted space' for your cat run is a great idea, we have an area like that behind our garden shed - it is where our chickens live original.gif

Your babies are gorgeous, how is Mumma Cat going now, has she settled at all?

The babies are gorgeous - it will be very hard to give them up  sad.gif
They are currently running havoc around my feet as they begged to be let out of our bathroom, which is their daytime home at the moment.

Mumma cat (Shelly) is still quite nervous and I've not been game to try to handle her, she no longer hides when we are out in the yard near her and even accepts our little dog looking in on her, but still hisses and swipes at my hands if I get too close, or move too fast, lol
She is also very thin - hence keeping the littles ones apart from her half the day - I might try slipping a worm tab into some of her food, but I suspect it's mainly because she is still very young, been neglected, and is feeding four very healthy active kittens!

I'm hoping we can maybe keep her and she'll calm after the kittens are gone and she is neutered. Just have to persuade DH that keeping a fourth cat is a good idea - he already calls me 'crazy cat lady!'

#10 Rosalita

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

he already calls me 'crazy cat lady!'

Hahahaha...DH said to me, "what is it with you a stray bloody animals"  tongue.gif

#11 gina70

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

I have one of my cats in an enclosure. It was orginally built for chickens which we no longer own.  It is about 5 m x 2m and is fully encosed.  It was a family effort, it took a day and cost about $200.  She has escaped a couple of times, but sits on the veranda.  I think we have repaired it enough now, she hasn't escaped for a few weeks.  She is too rough with my older cat, so she spends the day outside and night time in the bathroom. She has plenty of water, shade, grass, high shelf thing and mice.  She was never a social cat anyway.

My other 2 cats never go outside.

#12 Apageintime

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

Oh I could just squish those little kitten faces!

#13 Rosalita

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

First look at the vet.

Concern about that left front leg, he wasn't using it or trying to bear weight with it, thankfully it came good over the next few hours. Other concerns were that he was aspirating blood, which made is think he could have had blood in his lungs, again, over the next few hours it eased & it seems the blood in his nasal passages came from his fractured jaw.

24 hours later, less than impressed, but much better original.gif

Home and being introduced to Sammy The Shih Zhu, Sam's not to sure, Baby on the other hand thinks he owns the place & set Sam back quick smart LOL

They spent the next couple of days like this, by the time Baby ventured from the crate, they were great friends.

MP xo.

#14 Rosalita

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

And a couple more  wink.gif

Sharing Sam's crate

Under Mumma's bed, a favorite place to hang out together (IE: AWAY from the human kids! LOL)

Attacking that nasty door snake!

Look how far I've come  wub.gif  three weeks later, I eat, I play, I have an awesome & very cool diamante collar & I purr, all the time.

MP xo.

Edited by MummyPig, 09 January 2013 - 02:54 PM.

#15 lelo

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

MummyPig what a sweet little kitten you have found - I love black cats  wub.gif  (who am I kidding, I love all cats, lol)

#16 lamarque

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

Aww, he's gorgeous OP!  I love the one where they're in the crate together.   wub.gif

#17 Ferelsmegz

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

OMG! How adorable! He looks exactly like my little girl!!!  biggrin.gif

#18 *Ker*

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

He's gorgeous  llove.gif

Thank goodness you didn't leave the poor thing there, as many probably did.

#19 Rosalita

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

Yep, they did Ker, I saw him as i was driving towards him, he looked like a black puddle on the road, until he lifted his head up! I pulled over, reverse up 100mtrs and then was standing on the side of the road, with a towel in my hands & cars are flying past him, my heart dropped every time. It was awful sad.gif

I stepped out in front of a car in the end & put my hand up, as in *STOP*! The driver looked a bit cranky, but, whatever, but that stage i was getting that cat if it was the last thing I did!

I was so angry at first then I just felt really sad, it was obvious that he was still alive & people just kept going, some days I have to wonder whats wrong with people that they wont help?

#20 FeralRebelWClaws

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

awwwwwwwwwwwwww he's adorable! I bet he will end up super super smoochy because he will appreciate that you saved him.

Gorgeous how he and your dog are besties already wink.gif Very cute original.gif

#21 Tarantara

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

He is gorgeous. Well done original.gif I have a lovely black moggie in my collection too original.gif

#22 Duck-o-lah

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

Yay! You saved him!
What a cutie, I had a good giggle at the dog near the crate. Then next to the crate. Then in the crate laughing2.gif

Anyway, on cat runs... I don't have any decent pics but I can explain what I've done. We bought a large dog enclosure for my puppies (3x4m, 2m tall). We invested quite a lot of money and effort but the dog we bought it for wouldn't use it. Heartbroken that I had invested so much in something that wouldn't be used I turned it into a kitty run!

I put some old kennels in there to hide, and covered them in carpet for grip and scratchy goodness. I found a big tree trunk that had fallen near the fence and dragged it in there for climbing and scratching, aswell as a table for perching and finally an old chair that is the most coveted position.

Issues: it was built away from the house so the cats can't come and go as they please. This is irritating, but there is really no way to build access to it from inside. Also it came with a sun shade for the roof, but as it was not designed as a cat run there were gaps in the shade cover and the top of the walls. Sure enough the feistier of my two felines was climbing the walls in an instant, popping his head through the gaps and climbing out onto the roof! I've had to put mesh over the top to make it more secure.

I have found it a great way to recycle old junk lying around the yard! Well worth the investment. The more placid of my two doesn't like being outside but he likes being in the enclosure. The crazy one NEEDS the ouside time. Good luck and have fun with that gorgeous little guy  wub.gif

Edited by duck-o-lah, 09 January 2013 - 08:23 PM.

#23 Morts!

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

We have converted the side of our house into a cat run. Our cat has a cat door that leads from our dining room window out into her enclosure. She loves it and spends lots of her time out there.

This is when we'd just finished it. We've used bird netting across the top that goes from the house gutter to the fence. We also put a hopscotch area in for the kids.
The gate leads into the rest of our backyard, and up the other end there is a door into the garage and a small covered area with a workbench that has a carpet square for her to lie on out of the weather. She spends most of her time sleeping up there.

Lily sitting on her rock. We got the rocks for free from someone advertising them on Gumtree.

Sunbaking on her bench seat! Also got this for free from someone throwing it out - it's in perfect condition!

How it looks these days with the plants a lot bigger!

#24 la di dah

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

MummyPig, bless you for picking him up.

Looks like my black cat. I heard they are the least-adopted from shelters, I have no idea why, my girl is gorgeous and so loving! I love your pics with the teeny doggie.

Morts, I love your run.

I can't have a run here in this unit, or with my white cat (my white cat is a skin cancer risk because his nose and ears are pink and has to be inside-only even in a secure area) but when he's lived his life I will probably not have another all-white and I'd love a run like that when its feasible.

#25 PurpleNess

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

http://www.kittykingdom.net/kitty-kingdom-Photo-Gallery.html

These are the guys that did ours in Perth - Ours is in there gallery - Cat run side of house 1.3 is the title.

My recommendation is get a solid gate as you will go in & out quite a bit & a zipper is a PITA.

We've since added shade cloth to a quarter, a big scratching log and a small water feature pot with fish ( they've lived happily together for 3 years!!

I have found though that my older cat doesn't like it much, I think she sees it as a big toilet so up to you if a garden bed is a good idea or just stick to a litter tray.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Video: Toddler not keen on clean-shaven dad

This little girl thought she was taking part in a standard game of peek-a-boo, but her dad had a surprise for her.

When will I feel like myself again?

At some point I became 'me' again, but not the same me that I was ... and that?s not a bad thing.

Our Watch: ending the national emergency of domestic violence

An ambitious new national initiative aims to address the "national emergency" of domestic violence across Australia.

Decrease in stillbirths in late pregnancy and older mums

There has been a fall in the number of stillbirths among some groups of women despite the overall rate remaining stable, a new report reveals.

My baby was permanently injured during birth

My baby was a few months old when we first heard the term ?brachial plexus birth injury? and the heart wrenching news that he may never gain full function of his arm.

Being a yo-yo mama is the rhythm of motherhood

A flip-flop happy-sad can occur in the same minute, the same second. And it continues forever, throughout a yo-yo mama's tenure, beginning with pregnancy.

Is it okay to ask for money instead of gifts?

First it was weddings. Then it was engagement parties. Now it seems christenings are following the trend of asking guests for money in lieu of gifts.

Crash testing new parenthood

The new documentary series Crash Test Mummies & Daddies takes a fly-on-the-wall look at the first months of life with a newborn.

Itching for a solution to eczema

Around 30 per cent of children live with eczema every day. A dad shares his son's story and gets advice from an expert.

Video: The challenges and joys of making new mum friends

This hilarious video shows how making new mum friends can be awkward - but reassures that it is possible.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Win a House of Magic prize pack

To celebrate the release of the new movie House of Magic, we have 10 double passes and magic sets to give away just in time for these school holidays. Enter Now for a chance to win!

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

'I wanted a heart over the i'

After naming her other daughter Princess Tiaamii, glamour model Katie Price needed a special name for her new baby.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.