Why is it weird for a woman to do stuff alone

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_AllegraM_*

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

The 'Do you go to the movies alone' thread got me thinking.

Why do some people see it as odd if a woman does something alone? I am the first to put my hand up as an introvert but even so, I find it strange.

As a single woman, I camped alone, drove all over Australia alone, lived alone, walked alone at night, ate at restaurants alone and went to the movies alone. I loved it. Now that I am married, I do most of these things with DH, but even so, still do a fair bit alone.

When I was single, I would get a lot of concern from well-meaning people about my 'strange' habits. And there was always the underlying view that it was a bit pathetic and sad. People still get weirded out now if I stay at a hotel by myself at night for a mini-break. Apparently if you are part of a couple, it is Just. Not.
The. Done. Thing.

In fact I know a woman in her mid-thirties who has never spent a night alone. Ever. Not in a hotel, not in her own home. If her partner is away, she makes arrangments for friends or family to come and stay. I find this situation beyond bizzare but no-one else seems to really think so.

So I am reading too much into this? I often wonder if deep down, people think 'little girls' should be sensible and stay at home until a man rescues them and shows them the world from the safety of his care.

#2 Expelliarmus

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

QUOTE (AllegraM @ 08/01/2013, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I often wonder if deep down, people think 'little girls' should be sensible and stay at home until a man rescues them and shows them the world from the safety of his care.

There it is.

Plus the stereotypical crap of how women have to go to the bathroom together etc etc. It's like a cultural 'thing', I think.

#3 Angelot

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

I think it depends what you're doing.  If it's something that's usually a social thing - like going out to dinner - doing it alone can seem a bit strange.  If it's just going-about-your-life stuff, I wouldn't register it as odd at all.  If it's seen as a "high-risk" thing to do - like using public transport late at night - it can seem a concern just from a personal safety point of view.

I'd also think it odd if someone couldn't do things on her own, or spend the night on her own, or whatever.  That bespeaks a certain dependence to me.

#4 Nanaimo Girl

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

It's completely effed up.

I constantly get told from one "well meaning" family member that DD and I won't be a "real" family until I find a man and get married.

#5 YellowKittyGlenn

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:09 PM

TBH I find it weird if you are never alone.

I live alone, go shopping on my own, movies, travel because sometimes I want to be on my own. I honestly think if you can't be or aren't ever alone there are bigger issues.

Just because your on your own doesn't mean your lonely. I have been in a crowd of people who I know and have felt more lonely and isolated then watch a movie at home alone.

Each to their own I guess

#6 Nanaimo Girl

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

QUOTE (Nanaimo Girl @ 08/01/2013, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's completely effed up.

Just realised that looks wrong lol. I mean it's effed up that people would view doing stuff alone as weird.

#7 ~shannon~

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

I believe that if you can't enjoy your own company, then that's a problem you should face.

I've been to the movies on my own, lived on my own and loved it, and absolutely relish in my alone time now that I have kids and a husband. Nothing strange about that at all!

#8 CountryFeral

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

QUOTE (~shannon~ @ 08/01/2013, 02:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I believe that if you can't enjoy your own company, then that's a problem you should face.

Indeed!

My Aunt can't cope at all if she is alone in the house at night -  I honestly don't think she has ever done it, not once!  

Unfortunately she is in her early 70s and her husband is - well - 'not very healthy'.

I honestly don't know what she will do when he goes.

#9 .Jerry.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

In line with the other thread about women, I do think that society generally raises girls to be sweet and pretty  and delicate.  Girls are to be protected and adored and rarely get to experience being on their own when young.  Perhaps this contributes to some women feeling that they cannot make it on their own.

#10 Guest_AllegraM_*

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

QUOTE (Madame Catty @ 08/01/2013, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think most people would find it strange to stay in a hotel by yourself if you have a partner; whether you're male or female (unless it's a work trip or something).

A blissful night of peace, room service and reading while DH and DS hang out at home versus having DH (and most likely DS) along, with the loud foxtel, stinky toilet, snoring and bed-hogging.... It's a no-brainer!

#11 heffalumpsnwoozles

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

I'm perfectly happy to do things alone. The only time I felt a bit weird was when I'd gone to NZ with DH for a week and he'd gone home while I stayed on for a conference. The conference didn't start until the next day so I had one day all to myself, which was fine - I went on a bus tour. But that night I had dinner in a restaurant all by myself, and that felt a bit weird and sad. What are you supposed to do while you're waiting for your meal? I read a book but it felt somehow wrong, I was always raised not to read at the table. Tounge1.gif

#12 Leggy

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

I backpacked around the Middle East alone and people were horrified. The thing is, I was doing all the things a couple would do O/S to be safe, or a single person at home, like stay away from the borders with war-torn countries, don't wander down back alleys by yourself, and have a back-up plan if something starts to feel weird or threatening (like go to a hotel lobby or some other busy public place, strike up a convo with a local woman, ask a cop for directions).

I think it often is an idea that women need looking after and that we shouldn't put ourselves at any kind of risk. I feel that it's my life and if I want to take a risk I should be able to without having to endlessly justify myself; also that many "risks" are nothing like as bad as they are perceived to be.

As to the safety angle...well, there's common prudence, which is fine, but there's also this attitude that if you went into an area that is remotely risky and something happens to you, then it's your fault and you deserve no sympathy. Like when Jill Meagher died I heard people saying, "That poor woman...but why on earth was she walking alone at night? That's so silly (or less pleasant words!)" It would never have been put that way if a man had died. Why exactly are women supposed to give up their rights to move freely around their own community just in case someone breaches that right?

#13 bambiigrrl

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

your not the only one! I love doing things on my own, it rarely happens now i have 2 toddlers and a husband, and i do miss it. I used to love going to the movies, shopping, lunch at cafes etc on my own, i enjoyed it immensly! I know people also who would never dream of going somewhere alone! I remember skipping school when i was 16 once, i just went into the city, had lunch at a cafe, went to the art gallery and shopped all day, all by myself. i had a lovely day! I personally think its a sign of insecurity if your not comfortable going out by yourself. i love my own company!!

#14 .Jerry.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

I think most people would find it strange to stay in a hotel by yourself if you have a partner; whether you're male or female (unless it's a work trip or something).
- Why is it strange?

I love having a night in a hotel by myself.  Bed to myself, do as I please, stay up late.

Mind you, I can do all of those things at home too, I just really love hotel rooms! laughing2.gif

#15 teaspoon

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

Why exactly are women supposed to give up their rights to move freely around their own community just in case someone breaches that right?

Couldn't agree more, Leggy. I often ponder why I don't "feel" I have the same comfortable access to the city as men.

My rational mind tells me I do have access, but I would absolutely baulk at going into a pub by myself for instance. If I'm meeting a girlfriend, I'll sit in the car til I know she's also arrived :-)

Having said that, for many years I travelled solo overseas (mainly for business) so I know needs must and it can be done, but still I feel a sense of unease.

Just to add, I've been a sole parent for 5+ years so spending time by myself at home and getting on with things is the norm! but I think the difference is spending time alone in public.

#16 Squeekums Da Feral

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

Time alone is bliss!
I used to love my night walks and miss them so much now. Was called weird, crazy everytime and got comments of how I shouldnt be out alone after dark.
I used to reply back 'well if im  crazy that I walk alone, I should be safe, no one wants to kidnap a crazy chick right'
usually shut people up

Whats weird is not being able to be alone ever.

#17 Maple Leaf

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

In fact I know a woman in her mid-thirties who has never spent a night alone. Ever. Not in a hotel, not in her own home.

I find that pathetic actually. What is she scared of?

DH works away a lot and I enjoy the peace and quiet! I've spent a few years alone when single and in my 20's.. also weeks on my own when DH is gone with work. I think people would look at me strangely if I couldn't manage to run a household or sleep in a house by myself.

What will she do if something happens to her husband one day? will she just move in with friends until she finds a new man?

So so weird.

Women are their own worst enemy sometimes. They wonder why we aren't taken seriously when a grown woman can't even spend one night on her own!?!

Edited by Maple Leaf, 08 January 2013 - 02:02 PM.

#18 Ally'smum

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

On the very rare occasions I am alone I love it!

I used to hate travelling for work but who wouldn't enjoy having a room to themselves??

I have always felt unsafe when out at night, so having a boyfriend/husband was always appreciated and I have never known how to have dinner by myself in a restaurant so I have always just had room service.

#19 Guest_AllegraM_*

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE (Maple Leaf @ 08/01/2013, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I find that pathetic actually. What is she scared of?

DH works away a lot and I enjoy the peace and quiet! I've spent a few years alone when single and in my 20's.. also weeks on my own when DH is gone with work. I think people would look at me strangely if I couldn't manage to run a household or sleep in a house by myself.

What will she do if something happens to her husband one day? will she just move in with friends until she finds a new man?

So so weird.

Women are their own worst enemy sometimes. They wonder why we aren't taken seriously when a grown woman can't even spend one night on her own!?!

I have known her since our teens. She will do what she has always done- move in with a new man asap. He won't necessarily be the right man or a good man but to her, the fear of being alone is so horrific that any man will do. I think she has always found me threatening, as my ability to be happy while single and alone messes with her belief that there is nothing more awful than being alone.

#20 Feral_Pooks

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE (howdo @ 08/01/2013, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There it is.

Plus the stereotypical crap of how women have to go to the bathroom together etc etc. It's like a cultural 'thing', I think.

Can we keep that one, though? I love the secret women's business behind that dunny door.

#21 Apageintime

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

I travel with work a bit and LOVE having hotel rooms to myself so much I've done it a couple of times in a non work related way.

I used to find it awkward eating at a restaurant alone, but now I know to find one where I can sit near a window and people watch.

I also love shopping alone, I can wander is as many stores as I want, backtrack, talk for ages with a shop assistant and try on things I know will look awful 'just to see'.

#22 Ianthe

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

I love being alone. More than happy to go somewhere (anywhere) by myself.

#23 IsolaBella

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE (.Jerry. @ 08/01/2013, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In line with the other thread about women, I do think that society generally raises girls to be sweet and pretty  and delicate.  Girls are to be protected and adored and rarely get to experience being on their own when young.  Perhaps this contributes to some women feeling that they cannot make it on their own.

Whereas at 18 my folks happily took my sister overseas and left me home alone which I thought was great.

I happily lived by myself for years before marrying DH. I will take myself out to lunch, coffee, dinner by myself. I did Paris by myself. But then again I was the 4yo who declared I was going tobe a pilot although in the 70's females were air hostesses not pilots. So I never bought into the gender thing. I am also a happy SAHM now, having travelled and had my career.

#24 strawberrycakes

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

I love being on my own.

I have a friend who can't handle being alone. If her DH goes away for even one night for work she is a complete mess & gets all frightened etc; that I think is worrisome.

#25 IsolaBella

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

Dp

Edited by lsolaBella, 08 January 2013 - 02:40 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Student shocked by surprise baby

Kate Hudson, 22, was on a dream European holiday with friends. She didn't realise she was about to become a mum.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.