Ladies your opinions please
my cake website :)

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 tahliahay

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

Hi ladies

Just revamped my website for my cake business and advertise and im not getting anywhere?

Your opinions would be great

www.sweetascanbecakes.com.au

Thanks in advance

#2 YandiGirl

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:08 AM

The page takes a while to load. I would get frustrated and look elsewhere.

Although it might work for you, your 11-2 or 2:30 time slots, I would find inconvenient, and again, would look elsewhere.

I would like to see a price range for big cakes, nothing concrete of course as there are so many variables, but perhaps a starting from or an estimate of a 2 layer, 3 layer, or some examples of cakes you've made previously.

Good luck! I hope business picks up for you.

#3 the.supers

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

I think you need a better indication of prices too, and maybe some party packs - like preschool boys pack - large cake, x number of cupcakes and x number of whatever else for x amount.  This way you could also list packs for kitchen teas, baby showers etc.

#4 laridae

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

Page took ages to load, and I'm on a fast connection.
I would put you location on the main page.  If I was just searching for a cake I'd google, and don't want to dig down layers of pages to find you are nowhere near.

#5 Escapin

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

Firstly, people have to find your website. I googled 'sweet as can be cakes' and your website didn't come up at all. Do you have any stats on your website? How many visitors you're getting? Also, do you have a facebook page? And a twitter account? I would see these as almost more important than your actual website.

And lastly, this is going to sound really awful, but the quality of the actual cake icing (not the figures, they're really cute!) doesn't seem to be absolutely perfect, which is what people really expect from your 'show reel' so to speak. I wonder if that's putting people off?

But back to my first point, people have to find your website, before anything else, and as it didn't come up on the first page in google, it's unlikely people will be able to find you.

#6 PatG

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:23 AM

What sort of advertising are you doing?  

I googled Birthday Cakes Auburn and you don't come up on the first two pages so I don't think anyone is going to find you yet with an internet search so you need other ways of directing traffic to your page.  

Maybe try Gumtree ads?  I'm not sure if Gumtree allows advertising of commercial services but they tend to be searchable.

Your website is nicely laid out.  I have the following suggestions:

1) put your location on the home page
2) make sure your cupcake gallery reflects the order options - e.g. I have no idea what "water creatures" look like, include descriptors with the images
3) Add a link at the top of your order form to the contact form for non-cupcake inquiries
4) Silverwater needs a capital S on your deals pages

Your cakes are beautiful!

#7 tahliahay

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

Thanks ladies i really appreciate the feedback

The only prices i can provide and have are for cupcakes, but honestly every cake is on a quote by quote basis so how can i get around that?

I do have a facebook page and twitter account too

#8 Bluenomi

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

Invest is some better photographs. Don't take photos while the cakes are in boxes, it looks really sloppy as does the ones with lots of crap in the background.

Also only put your best photos on the website, not every cake you've ever made. Some of the less flattering ones will loose you business

#9 tahliahay

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

Bluenomi - thank you for that, i just like to showcase everything of mine in a relaxed manner, i guess your right.

#10 MintyBiscuit

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:34 AM

I'm not having trouble with the load time and think the page looks pretty good overall. Agree with PP that your location needs to be more prominent.

Hope this doesn't offend, but I'd also agree that in some of the photos the icing doesn't look the best. It's a home business, so personally I wouldn't be expecting perfection (depending on your prices of course!) but to me it shows a lack of consistency. Some of the photos look fabulous, whereas there are others that just don't look the best. In some it's the actual detail on the cakes, in others it's the lighting. If it were me I'd be trying to find somewhere well lit and with a white background to take all of your pictures, and be really harsh with what you put up - if you don't think it looks like your best work once you've taken the photo, don't put it up!

ETA - just realised Bluenomi said much the same - I guess we were posting at the same time >.<

Edited by HollyOllyOxenfree, 08 January 2013 - 11:35 AM.

#11 flowermama

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

You definitely need to come up somewhere near the top in a Google search - so many people visit websites from Google searches. I'd invest in search engine optimisation to make sure you're somewhere near the top. There are some great SEO companies out there and it doesn't have to cost a fortune. I agree you need to have your contact details on your home page and you're a bit restrictive with the specified contact times. If you're not always available to take calls I'd remove your number altogether and put a shorter time frame on your form - 24-48 hours is a long time to wait for a response (I use a local cake lady sometimes and she always gets back to me the day I email her). There are also several spelling and grammatical errors throughout the site which looks unprofessional (I can help you with this if you like, just PM me!).

#12 niggles

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

Your cakes look well done and the photos are clear and easy to look through.

I find the description under the What's on the menu section unclear. What do you mean by "You can colour your buttercream and decorate too" ?

Rule of thumb for prmotional publications is that one exclamation point is usually too many. Just a thought. I find them a little desperate.

I know you say your location in the contact page but I think you need to make it clear which areas you do and don't service quite clearly on the order page, and possibly the home page too. And what method of delivery you use. I am nervous about having something delivered if I don't know how it's getting to me.

#13 tahliahay

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

hollyolly - your right hon, as we speak i am going through everything and getting rid of the pictures i dont like and adding prices too

The pics with the icing not so great was when i first started 2 years ago but have since perfected it

It is a home business too

#14 gvdb

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

You need to take a look at how you are using metadata on you website to bring you up the search rankings.  When I search for your business names using Google (suspect it will be same on Bing) you site does not come up on the first page of results and this is crucial.

Do some research on using metadata to improve search results. Look at using the Google tools for tracking web traffic. They don't costs much to set up and will tell you where and who you customers are.

Also look at better options for payment and ordering.  Have some standard options for orders, use the order form to impose and time delays you need for lead times. Most users will want instant feedback. It is hard when you are starting up, but think would you buy from an online store yourself if it did not give you instant feedback on you order and costs.

Look at having a shopping cart, payment options such as Google Wallet and credit card as well as direct bank deposit.

Do some user research. Take a laptop and a bunch of cupcakes to a play group in the area you are covering and get local feedback on your site.  This has 2 benefits. Face to face feedback from customers you are trying to attract, and some word of mouth advertising for your products.

Use social media channels other than face book.  Get pictures of your cakes on Google+, use Twitter, tumblr and Pinterest.

Start a mailing list and publish a newsletter with minor discounts for subscribers.  It can just be pictures of cakes etc you have done that month, plus thins of interest in the local area, such as upcoming children's activities.  If you do this use a tool look mail chimp to manage your subscribers and protect privacy.

These are the basics I'd advise for any new online business in my 9previous job.

Hope this help you out.

#15 WhimsicalDragonfly

Looks lovely!  I like that you have a lot of photos, and the order form seems comprehensive.

Maybe change the font of the main text to something more contemporary and easier to read and so that it matches the style of the rest of the page.  I also wouldn't centre the text, it also makes it hard to read, and sometimes there is only one word on a line.  Justified, or left aligned would be better.

I think you could also see about improving your google presence - when I google "sweet as can be cakes" your website does not come up as the first one (or even first few) and could be missed by impatient searchers.  I wish I could tell you how to go about doing this, but I don't know.  My dad learnt about it for his business and found it really helpful though.

All the best with your business!

#16 tahliahay

what can i say ladies, you haven all been fantastic i am so happily overwhelmed its been fantastic reading your replies

#17 AdelTwins

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

QUOTE (Bluenomi @ 08/01/2013, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Invest is some better photographs. Don't take photos while the cakes are in boxes, it looks really sloppy as does the ones with lots of crap in the background.

Also only put your best photos on the website, not every cake you've ever made. Some of the less flattering ones will loose you business

Agree with this comment. Try taking the pictures with a plain white background (no boxes) and make sure you have loads of natural light.

#18 BeYOUtiful

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

I would photograph your cakes outside of their boxes and ensure all pics are clear.
I would remove cakes done early on when a hobby.
original.gif

Wedding cakes look great if you can get a pic at the reception centre.

Good luck

#19 Jax12

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

You've gotten some really good feedback already which I think are the most important changes to make.  Once that's done maybe have a good proofread of your text or have a friend go over it for you - there's just a few little awkward phrases here and there and some repetition, ie the word yummy makes a few too many appearances IMO.

I am so craving cake right now it's not funny.

#20 CallMeFeral

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

Lovely site.
The pics on the front page a bit dark. They might benefit from a bit of optimising - if you are using windows, even opening with picture manager and pressing 'autocorrect' or playing with the very minimal edit settings might improve them. There's also a white balance thing which sometimes makes big improvements. Depending on what camera you are using, if it's just your iphone or something there are probably some apps which add certain effects that could brighten things up. Particularly important for the front page I think. And the photos that aren't that nice - don't put them up. Sounds deceptive, but you don't really want to show people your less good work. Maybe the other ones could go on your facebook, if you really want to show them.

The description on the about us page sounds delicious.

Some indicative price ranges for the full size cakes would be excellent - I know a lot of people don't have that, but if I visit a website that's usually what I'm looking for. I hate having to call to ask.

Maybe you could think of your past cakes and what you've charged, and rate them in terms of
- how many people it would serve
- complexity of decorations
And develop a price range, noting that it's a guide not a promise. You must have some basis upon which you decide what to charge - what sort of things do you take into consideration?

Don't use the word yummy twice on the what's on the menu page.

gvdb - bit of a tangent but are there any SEO's that are good but not too pricey that you could recommend for a startup? I'm really struggling with search. Sorry to hijack.

#21 Missy Shelby

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

I had no trouble with the load time of your page either.

Your cakes and cupcakes (especially) look so delicious, I thought the photos looked ok but I am certainly no expert so I would go with the advice that some pp have said.

Shame I am not located in NSW...

Best of luck with your new business op!

#22 Feral Lemur

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

Your enthusiam came over loud and clear but I agree with others that basic information was not so clear.

What area do your service?

How much?

Time frame for orders?

Testimonials?

If I have to work too hard to find information I would go elsewhere.

I love the ease of shopping with say edibleblooms and di 3 orders this year as it was too easy.  Check out their website

The photos look amataur which send the wrong message.

The "boy" and "girls" decorations p*ssed me off and on that alone I would probably go elsewhere.  But other might like it so that is just my personal reaction.    

#23 Ducky*Fuzz

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

QUOTE (tahliahay @ 08/01/2013, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks ladies i really appreciate the feedback

The only prices i can provide and have are for cupcakes, but honestly every cake is on a quote by quote basis so how can i get around that?

I do have a facebook page and twitter account too

Maybe pricing information could read something like.

Basic Cake prices (cake and buttercream icing or fondant)
Serves 10 - starts from $x.
Serves 30 - starts from $x
Please email Sweet as Can Be for a quote for more detailed cakes. Detailed cakes do take time and are priced accordingly.

I do love your colours and the style, it's clear and easy to read.

I agree some of your writing sounds awkward.  Also some of your pictures are too similar - eg some of the cakes with blue icing with something stuck on top.

When you have more pictures to include in your portfolio it would be good to have sections for Kids birthdays, adult birthdays, etc.

I would list your flavours in point form. It's much easier to read.

Daily deals I would do on facebook and twitter.

#24 harryhoo

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:57 PM

Hi OP. II had no problem loading the site. But agree with a lot of what other people have said. In terms of pricing, I know that you have attached prices to some of the pics of the cakes, but we need to know how big the cakes are, and also how many people they would serve. An $85 cake is a bargain if it serves 50 people, not so good if it serves 10. Obviously mudcakes etc serve more than say a vanillia spnge but I think it's good to atleast provide a ballpark figure. Good luck, I'm just getting my kitchen approved to do the same thing... but totally different area of the state!

#25 julzely

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

Ok, here is my quite lengthy feedback. Some of them are just suggestion, but a lot of them are things that I think you really need to fix, the good news is most of them are really simple

In terms on the positive I really like your colouring and layout they look really good.  I think it is catches the eye and easy to navigate.  It also come up pretty well on the iphone.

1. I’d but a thin border around all your pictures to give them more definition (this goes for both your front page and gallery)
2. On your About Us page:
a. I think you need to put an extra line between each paragraph.  
b. you may want to review your wording as I’m not sure if it comes across as 100% professional.  I think it sounds like you are a mum who is doing this to get some extra cash rather then selling it as a business.
c. You have talked about me the whole way through then at the bottom said we.  I’d pick one and stick to it, or say me and my assistants or something like that.
3. On your contact us page:
a. Bold your heading it gets lost with everything else
b. Your wording is all over the place on this page. You mention the form (but the form is further down the page) you mention phone, then randomly you have a suburb.  I think you need to work on this page to make it flow better.  I would at least provided your full address if people can do pickups.
c. What is your preferred method of contact (form or phone?)  put the preferred one at the top.  If you want people to use the form then I would move the phone details to below the actual form.
d.
4. Gallery:
a. I’d put a sub heading under gallery then have cakes and cupcakes.  
b. As above I’d but a thin border around your pictures
c. Also when clicking on the image to enlarge it takes ages to load
5. What’s on the menu:
a. I don’t like the term What’s on the menu – it’s a bit ambiguous what exactly is going to be in this section.  I’d probably put flavours and fillings or something that is really obvious.  One thing to remember about uses is that they are really fickel if they don’t see what they want they will close your website and go elsewhere.
b. Don’t use triple exclamation marks its unprofessional
c. Check your capitalisation – some flavours are have a capital letter and other don’t
d. Also I’d consider rewording this page as well, it doesn’t flow well
6. Cupcakes:
a. I’d incorporate this section into your gallery as a subsection unless you are planning on putting something else in here other than just the pictures
7. Order:
a. At the top put a one liner about your big cakes and that you need to contact you to discuss your requirements either through the contact form or phone
b. In your boy and girl decoration section you have Add($6 per a dozen) – I’d just get rid of the add.
c. You still have an issue with some categories having capitals and other not. Also where you have 1 Per dozen you the per should be lowercase
d. In Pickup you have checkboxes these should be radio buttons as you only want people to select one same goes for your cupcake section
e. When you click submit there is no checking to make sure the person has completed required fields (Sorry for the blank order )

8. Daily Deals:
a. You are highlighting all the negatives.  When I open this page all I think is that you are going to be really hard to deal with – no weekend, no this no that…. You put this stuff at then end under conditions.  
b. Drop the exclamation marks especially on the negatives
c. I find this page very hard to read.  I want to go in and clearly see you special instead I have to read through whole stack of text.  I’d put in a picture with 24 cupcakes and put a big Only $19, then put the rest in you conditions.  Also make sure you provided the full pickup address.  
d. Space between your paragraphs is essential, especially in full text pages. You need to break it up.  This also makes it easier for the user’s eyes to know where to focus.

Are you building it yourself? If you are paying someone to develop it then I definitely find someone else. The graphic design side of it is great, but a lot of the things I’ve listed above are simple things that are good website designer should have done already done.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Ambulance service under fire: baby seats to go, response times 'worse than ever'

The NSW Ambulance Service is removing child-safety seats from ambulances, while the Victorian service is facing criticism over lengthy response times following the death of a three-year-old.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Is e-reading to your toddler story time or just screen time?

When reading increasingly means swiping pages on a device, and we're advised to read to their children early and often, should parents be turning to e-readers for storytime?

Community mourns inspiring young dad

A young dad who fought a five-year battle with cancer has been remembered for his inspiring legacy at a funeral service attended by hundreds of family and friends this week.

Meningococcal kills Queensland toddler

Public health authorities say the death of a toddler in north Queensland from meningococcal disease highlights the danger the illness poses.

Nicole Kidman: 'I hope every month that I'm pregnant'

Nicole Kidman is hoping to add to her family, but says she's doubtful it will happen.

Recall: Aldi Wooden London Bus play set

Aldi has announced a recall of their popular Wooden London Bus play set.

Great gift ideas for first birthdays

From soft toys to balance bikes, here are some great ideas for first birthday gifts.

Mum learnt she was pregnant hours before giving birth

Kim Walsh arrived at the doctor with abdominal cramps. Hours later, she was cradling the baby experts told her she could never have.

How cancer has made me a better, happier person

I'm a far better person post-cancer than I ever was before. The goal now is to stay around long enough to find out who I can become, and what I can achieve.

Pete Evans says a paleo diet can prevent autism. He's wrong

Pete Evans is not a paediatrician or even a nutritionist or dietitian. So why should we believe his extreme views and remove food groups from our children's diets over the advice from those more qualified?

Let's get back to commonsense parenting

Forget the new 'Lawnmower' parenting trend; try using plain old-fashioned commonsense instead.

Woman sues after having a mixed-race baby

A US woman is suing a sperm bank after it sent her vials from African-American man, instead of the white donor she had selected.

Bonding ideas dad will love

Dad may not say it, but he could be feeling lost, confused and seriously left out. However, there are lots of things new fathers can do to be more included in the excitement of pregnancy and new parenthood.

The house that hope built for childhood cancer

Baby Laelani Baker was diagnosed with cancer before she was even born. Her heartbreaking story is just one of the reasons the Build for a Cure project is raising money for vital research into childhood cancer.

Does stay-at-home parenting get better?

Parenting doesn’t ever get easier; the challenges just change. But the challenges of caring for young children definitely lessens as they get older.

Inquest into the short and tragic life of Chloe Valentine

As the first phase of an inquest into the death of Chloe Valentine drew to a close, there was no doubt Chloe's life was marred by appalling neglect.

When mothers kill

The act of killing one's child is unthinkable for most, and a mother who kills her offspring has a special power to inspire shock and revulsion.

6 beauty tips for tired mums

For those of us with young children, eight hours sleep is a distant memory. And while we can’t do much to secure more shut-eye, there are some ways to fake it.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

A year without Vicki

Vicki had a three-month-old son when she first felt something wasn't right. She was gone within a year.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.