Is anyone else scared
About fire conditions tomorrow?

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#1 Feral Alpacas

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

We've been getting the RFS texts and phone calls tonight- we are in an area which will have catastrophic conditions tomorrow. I've never really been in a situation where I've had to prepare for an emergency, and tbh I'm very scared, especially now that I have two young daughters to consider. I've packed a bag with spare clothes, passports and birth certificates, we have water bottles in the fridge and plans for tomorrow, but I'm lying here wide awake.

DD1 will be in town at childcare, and I am taking DD2 to a doctors appointment in the morning so will be out for awhile and DH is going in to work for a bit, hopefully I can convince him not to come home, I'd rather we were all in town away from danger. The internal paddock gates are open so the alpacas can move about but I'm still worried. Is there anyone else feeling the same tonight?

B

#2 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

I think being scared is perfectly rational and all you  can do is be as prepared as possible whether you are staying to defend or pulling out.

So hoping for everyone in the zones that the worst doesn't happen.

#3 Sarzie

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

Yes I am on mat leave and plan to go shopping with my 5 1/2 month old DD. To a large shopping centre.

#4 76 others

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

I've received the SMS and phone calls too and have evacuated to my sister in laws so I'm feeling a lot better. I'm south coast NSW, where are you?

#5 Fillyjonk

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

*Bighug* I truly hope that they are just wrong and it all comes to nothing. How frightening.

I am on the other side of the world far far from any potential fire danger but I am very worried for my family who are in high risk areas.

#6 Justaduck

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:44 PM

I'm in QLD so obviously safe, but yep I would be. Would pack whatever we would need (and things like photos) into the car tonight.

Hope you manage to get some sleep tonight and everything stays safe at home

#7 Feral Alpacas

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

We are in NSW Southern Tablelands, just outside Canberra. Town is only 10 min away, but we have to drive through a heavily wooded area to get there, so the chances of getting caught are real. DD2's dr appointment isn't until 10:45 but I'll head in earlier to drop off DD1, then just stay at the shops or library, or head to a friends house. We have decided not to defend the property, our lives are more important. Plus it would be a two person job, and I have to look after DD2. Just hoping I can sleep tonight, am feeding DD2 ATM. When I look at her beautiful sleepy face I'm reminded of what's really important.

#8 Feral Alpacas

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:53 AM

Morning everyone. Please stay safe today.

B

#9 busymumof1&1/2

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:05 AM

I got the texts and calls last night too. I think we are just on the border of the catastrophic zone, and if we lived 20mins down the road, we would not have recieved the warnings. I am, however, going to check the website all day, and if I hear the VRFS blokes leave, we are leaving too.

#10 vitaechel

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:15 AM

It's natural to be scared. I have been in a bush fire and it's beyond terrifying. I have also received the texts in the past. My fathers farm is also close to areas that burned during black Friday. I was volunteering at Red Cross in the phone room.... Lets just say I won't ever forget.

Red Cross Emergency Service have a booklet that might help for those in Bush fire areas atm - BOOKLET

It covers any kind of emergency and will remind you of things to think of prior to an emergency happening.

Good Luck to everyone in Catastrophic areas and Extreme areas today. I hope it turns out to be a false alarm. hands.gif

#11 meganinadelaide

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:30 AM

I take photos of all rooms of my house before we leave on a catastrophic day. This means if somthing was to happen I have a visual record of what we had. Please all stay safe.

#12 RedBob

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:42 AM

QUOTE (lovealpacas @ 08/01/2013, 06:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Morning everyone. Please stay safe today.

B

And  you too  hhugs.gif I hope from the bottom of my heart that we don't need any of the preparations that we've undertaken.

#13 snuffles

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:45 AM

Stay safe... we are heading into Penrith for the day although we are not 'catastrophic', just 'extreme'.

#14 danielle1985

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:46 AM

I am really scared... They have closed one of the council day cares and my son's is still open but I think I will only leave him until lunch and then have him with me. I still can't decide whether to leave now or not. Even if I go early, I am still going to be in an extreme zone and the whole state is more or less the same!

I have been receiving messages and phone calls from the RFS (brilliant BTW) but they are so dire. Better to be warned though... I have packed some things ready in case.

Stay safe everyone. Remember that property is replaceable but you aren't. xoxox

Edited by danielle1985, 08 January 2013 - 06:47 AM.

#15 76 others

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:47 AM

Oh the wind has picked up crazy here now and the temp feels like it's risen so quickly in the last hour. I don't like this.
Stay safe.

#16 76 others

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:48 AM

QUOTE (danielle1985 @ 08/01/2013, 07:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am really scared... They have closed one of the council day cares and my son's is still open but I think I will only leave him until lunch and then have him with me. I still can't decide whether to leave now or not. Even if I go early, I am still going to be in an extreme zone and the whole state is more or less the same!

I have been receiving messages and phone calls from the RFS (brilliant BTW) but they are so dire. Better to be warned though... I have packed some things ready in case.

Stay safe everyone. Remember that property is replaceable but you aren't. xoxox

Did you get another this morning?

#17 lozoodle

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:51 AM

I'm not in the catastrophic zone, but I think if I lived about 20 mins down the road I would be.

I'm not scared as such, but it does make me feel uneasy. The weather itself I'm not hugely bothered by, but its the arsonists that worry me. There are no fires at present so I don't feel any fear in that respect, but just hope it stays that way.

Good to be prepared and stay safe. And remember when it comes down to it, stuff is just stuff. Its the people in your life that matter.

And remember, warnings are just that - warnings. Nothing has happened yet, and it may be the case that nothing does eventuate. The RFS are just taking a proactive approach in order to create awareness in people to avoid situations like they were faced with in black Saturday. Stay aware and be sensible, but don't get in a panic.

Edited by lozoodle, 08 January 2013 - 06:53 AM.

#18 i-candi

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:59 AM

Cool and calm here in the Wollondilly shire.

On my walk this morning in town I noticed a few small shops had notices that they would be closed today.
We got text and a phone call last night, nothing this morning.

ETA no I'm not scared.

Edited by i-candi, 08 January 2013 - 06:59 AM.

#19 Feral Alpacas

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:59 AM

Hope everything is ok for you today Danielle. DD1's cc is in town, so it's safer for her to be there today, and tbh I'd rather she was there where I don't have to worry about her (or try to amuse her in a shopping centre!). Sending good wishes to everyone.

#20 Jane-know

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:01 AM

We are in the catastrophic zone, with dense bushland very close by. I'm not scared, just a little anxious, but have prepared what we want to take and put it in the boot of the car. We'll leave at any mention of fire, and drive around 2kms through built up areas to my sister's, or otherwise the beach.

#21 purpleblackqueen

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:05 AM

I am scared for my disabled mum and brother (who is in  respite care), they are in the catastrophic area (I am only is Very high to extreme), to get mum is a mamoth task, due to her being on a walker with stairs at the front of her house and padlocked gates out back, her need meds, nursing care etc etc.

I can't get her up here due to the forecasted heat up her she wont cope wiht my aircon not working and the heat makes her sick.

BUt I just got a FB messgae from a friend who bought mum up at CHristmas to say that if they get evacuated then they will take mum with them and look after her for me and MIchael will be kept with the respite people.

They will keep me posted as to where they are.

SO I do feel a little easier.

#22 Ianthe

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:08 AM

I am south coast too but here we should be ok. Not sure about surrounding areas. I am not scared but that wind makes me a little nervous.

#23 Freddie'sMum

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:09 AM

Hi OP

I would be totally scared too if I was in the "catastrophic" region.  We are in Sydney and they are saving it is "extreme" - I am a little bit frightened because we are technically in the city - but surrounded by trees !!

Have your car packed and everything ready to leave.

Here is the Bushfire Information Line: 1800 679 737

Here is the website: www.rfs.nsw.gov.au (Rural Fire Service)

Best wishes.  Keep safe.

#24 Natttmumm

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:14 AM

Yes I'd be worried. Great to be ready and maybe go out to the shops in town

#25 ~Mintie~

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:19 AM

I'm not scared for ourselves as it's highly unlikely a bushfire would hit our home but I'm very scared for some family and friends. I grew up very close to bushland and remember too well how terrifying the thread of fire can be. Please stay safe people sad.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.