An embarassing question re tampons

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 cb2

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

Hi
This is rather embarassing to ask and I am so glad I can ask you lovely ladies in cyberland and not face to face.

I have always used pads and continue to do so. I will be starting swimming lessons with my LO and realise that the only way I can get in the water when I have AF is to use a tampon.

Now I have never ever used one and don 't like pap smeras at the best of time so don't like inserting things.

My questions are:

Do they hurt?
Are they easy to insert?
Also which is the best and most comfortable brand?

I am already getting anxious about having to use them silly I know!
Thank-you for your assistance and I am very sorry to ask such embarrassing questions that I feel silly about original.gif

#2 mchelen

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

Use ones that come with an with an applicator and read the instructions carefully you should be fine. Don't bother with the little ones without applicators in my opinion :-)

#3 Sassy Dingo

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

They're smaller in width than your finger so shouldn't hurt at all - you can't feel them if they're inserted properly.

Just grab a pack of any regular tampon from the shop. I don't have any brand loyalty so just go for carefree tampons (they have trivia on the packs so that's why I like them ). Wash your hands before inserting. I would estimate you only need to insert up to the knuckle on your index finger - so maybe an inch and a half. Make sure the string is hanging out.

You're not supposed to leave them in for more than 4 hours, however I have forgotten one over night and it was all good.

Hope that helps.

#4 Amy 1976

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

Don't stress out. With a bit of practice you'll be using them like a pro in no time at all.

Start with a mini ones and use a bit of lube. There are instructions in the box which explain the best method of insertion.

Try a few different brands until you figure out which are best for you. I personally like Carefree Flexia but Tampax with an applicator might be good to start with if you're nervous.

The best tip I can give you is practice when you don't have your period as it will be less messy. Just make sure you use plenty of lube while you're practicing (KY Jelly or such like).

It won't hurt if you are relaxed and start with the mini ones.

#5 Sassy Dingo

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

Really? I've never used an applicator, never seen the need. I didn't even realise you could get those in Australia. I know in the US they're popular but I've always seen that as "ewwww, I don't want to touch my vagina" sort of reaction.

How do they work? Sort of like a sleeve? Insert tampon using applicator and then slide applicator out? Do you reuse it, or do you get a new one for each tampon? The things I learn on here.....I'm only just getting over diva and moon cups.

#6 GlitterFarts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

look into Moon cups or Diva cups - IMO less chance of leaking due to wicking:)

#7 Lulu_R_S

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

they can be a little tricky at first but they dont hurt if you insert them right. Also, and it will be easier said than done, it's better to relax when you insert them as if you are tense it's more difficult and may cause a bit of pain. I've been using them for years now and personally i find the carefree ones are the most comfortable and easy to use. You can also get ones with an applicator which makes it easier when you're first starting. This is what i did when i started using tampons. Dont practice when you dont have af as it will hurt and not work. Take your time and dont worry if you need to take it out and try with a new one a few times as it's normal. I still get them in the wrong place sometimes and I've used them for about 14 years now. :-) Dont be embarrassed to ask, that's how we find things out and using tampons is a skill like any other lol. Hope that helps and feel free to ask any more questions.

#8 Jax12

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

If you find that you are uncomfortable or in pain it's not inserted correctly.  You shouldn't be able to feel it at all once it's in right.  Have a read through of the little direction pamphlet that comes in the box - there's usually a dodgy stick figure diagram showing how to insert it with a leg up on the bath or similar.  original.gif  Good luck

Oh, and for PP, I've also only ever used an applicator when I've borrowed a tampon from a friend.  They are like a little hollow cardboard tube (from memory) and the tampon is at the bottom inside.  You place the tube at the entrance to your vagina, then you push on the top and something slides down, pushing the tampon in...

Sorry for that jarbled description, I was about 15 at the time and I was a bit amazed by it all!

#9 The Old Bag

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

Applicator tampons suck, unless you're fond of scraping your insides with cardboard.

I agree with practising with the mini size to start with, towards the start of your period as it gets trickier and more uncomfortable as things get drier.

#10 mummabear

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

I also would recommend starting out with applicators. Very user friendly for first timers. I moved onto normal tampons when I was confident with the applicators. original.gif

#11 Mmmcheese

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

I found the tampons with applicators easiest to use when I first started out.

#12 Expelliarmus

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

Every time I tried to 'practice' without my period it hurt and I couldn't get it out again very easily at all!  I wouldn't recommend it at all!

#13 ubermum

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

yeah, I use a cup too. I think tampons are nasty.

Considering you have a child, I assume you have had sex and maybe even a vaginal delivery. I wouldn't bother with mini tampons if tampons are going to be your choice. I am sure you'll manage getting a regular sized tampon where it should go.

#14 cb2

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

Thank-you so much everyone for your replies!
I really appreciate them and the wealth of knowledge the EB world is made of.
Thanks again original.gif

#15 Pearlberry

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

Get a reasonable sized pack too. I was with a friend when she tried them for the first time at almost 30 (not in the stall or anything ;-)). She went through almost a whole pack of applicator ones trying to get it in properly as she was saying that she could still feel it. I would recommend using applicators,  during your heaviest flow, whilst in the shower (for easy clean up).

Hardest part is getting over the mental hurdle. Good luck

#16 countrymel

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

They have instructions in the box.

Most brands come with a 'silky smooth cover' (whatever the hell that is?) and are a dream to insert compared to the funny old ones of the early 80s.

The 'size' thing is about the heaviness of your menstrual flow not the width of your vagina BTW!

If you use a large one with a light flow (or try to use one when you don't have your period) then it will still be dry and 'fluffy' when you attempt to remove it this is the only time I have ever experienced anything that comes remotely close to uncomfortable to do with tampons - used them for 25+ years now!

The two best positions for inserting them are either squatting or with one leg up (on the side of the bath or toilet)

When you are learning I suggest doing it in the bathroom where you have plenty of room to manoeuvre and if you haven't already now is the time to put a mirror on the ground and squat over it - then you finally get to see what all the fuss is about and what is where!

You can do it OP!  

If this little duck worked it out armed with only a copy of Dolly magazine, some 'helpful' encouragement through the door from my big sister and the carefree instructions sheet at age 13 - YOU, a grown up, with a child old enough to swim will be FINE!

#17 ~sydblue~

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

I bought DD13 a 'U' pack yesterday from woolworths.
It had 2 each of a few different sized pads and liners, and an 8pack of regular tampons all in a little black clutch bag for $3.99

#18 kez71

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:39 PM

you can get free samples of them all to see which you like best. back when i started i wrote to them ( found the addresses in Dolly..lol) and got samples. im sure now you could find them online. Tampax applicator tampons are what a lot of people start with and their free sample is usually several tampons!

#19 Leggy

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

I've only just come around to them myself (at age 30!) because they used to hurt, a bit to put in and quite a bit to take out. I find a few things helpful:

lube (my own blood does the trick on heavier days, a little help required on lighter days)
smaller ones for lighter flow days (so they don't stick and hurt to take out!)
doing some deep breathing for relaxation before insertion and removal.

#20 puddina

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

i'm not a big tampon user either, but considering you have had sex inserting shouldn't be an issue. I prefer the carefree with silky cover, they come in a super slim range, where as the libra ones feel like your trying to stick a jumbo piece of chalk in you.

#21 Carabosse

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

You can do it OP!

My mother and sister didn't use them so I was never given the option but I made the choice myself at about 14. I still remember the sheer elation I felt when I realised I had a) inserted it properly and b) couldn't feel it. In comparison to using pads it's honestly like not having your period and I could never go back! I used to despise the feeling of pads, especially with a heavy flow on that first 2 days. Suddenly with tampons it was like a new lease on life! No kidding.

like a PP I have never used applicator tampons either and have never had any issues ph34r.gif

I was going to look into diva cups just before I fell pregnant with my last DD maybe I should as by all accounts here they offer even more 'freedom'!

#22 Le-a

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

QUOTE (Pearlberry @ 07/01/2013, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Get a reasonable sized pack too. I was with a friend when she tried them for the first time at almost 30 (not in the stall or anything ;-)). She went through almost a whole pack of applicator ones trying to get it in properly as she was saying that she could still feel it. I would recommend using applicators,  during your heaviest flow, whilst in the shower (for easy clean up).

Hardest part is getting over the mental hurdle. Good luck

Back the truck up, inserting tampons in the SHOWER!? I have some mad tampon wrangling skillz, but I'm pretty sure if I tried to do that I would end up with a soggy, waterlogged, handful of fluff.

Personally, I use a menstrual cup and I find it easier than tampons, but that's probably because I'm used to/familiar with sticking things up my woo-hah. Lol! I found tampons easy to use once I got my head around the idea. You'll be fine, OP. who knows, you might even find them more practical and start using them full-time!

Good luck.

#23 Guest_Sunnycat_*

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

I've never been able to successfully insert a tampon (or any other object or body part) into me.

#24 cattivo lupo

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

I was never a particularly successful tampon user, but the menstrual cup is a different story.  Best thing ever.  It's made the whole thing a big non event.  

#25 SplashingRainbows

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

I found these ones the best of the applicator tampons.
http://www.lovelibra.com.au/products/the-l...egular-pack-16/

The packet is the same size as a regular tampon (not double length like most applicators) so much more discreet. This applicator is also a soft plastic which is much easier on the skin than cardboard. Hard to describe but it is pretty easy to slide in.

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Britain's youngest parents: mother 12, father 13

A 12-year-old schoolgirl and her 13-year-old boyfriend are believed to have become Britain?s youngest parents, after the birth of their baby girl earlier this week.

When Prince George met Bilby George

Prince George has met an Aussie marsupial named after him in his first official engagement in Australia.

Asphyxia link another piece of the SIDS puzzle

An Australian study has uncovered information which could lead to a better understanding of why babies die from Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

Pregnant woman dies after doctor removes ovary instead of appendix

When a UK woman went to hospital suffering appendicitis, doctors mistakenly removed her healthy ovary - with tragic consequences.

The milestones I can't wait to celebrate

Nothing can beat the feeling of witnessing that first smile, first step and first word - but here's a list of 'firsts' I'm really looking forward to now.

How you develop in your baby's first year

Just as babies undergo rapid growth as they learn and change in their first year, we?re learning and changing quickly as parents, too. Don?t underestimate the developmental stages you go through when you have a baby.

Can you make your baby smarter even before birth?

A product new to Australia claims to help babies be born "as intelligent as possible", but not all experts agree on the benefits of educating babies while still in the womb.

How a mother's love helped unearth the skills of an autistic savant

Autistic savant Ping Lian Yeak, a prodigious artist who has had his work shown all over the world, couldn't have done it without the support and love of his proud mum.

Rescue dog Zoey and BFF Jasper star in adorable pics

Photographer, self-professed "crazy dog lady" and mum Grace Chon takes photos of rescue dog Zoey and her 10-month-old son Jasper together. The results are just too cute. See more on Instagram @thegracechon.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

A tiny heart: a baby?s death gives life to another

Simon Alexander Garcia lived only one brief hour. But somewhere, a little girl?s heart is beating today because of him.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Why is childbirth still such a pain?

The options given to women to help them cope in labour have barely changed in years.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win the brand new phil&teds vibe

Check out the good looking new release of the Vibe 3 and the Verve 4-wheeler inline strollers. To celebrate their release, we have a Vibe with double kit to give away.

Baby sleep

From birth to one year and beyond, read about baby sleep, soothing techniques, routines, and sleep school experiences.

Easter gifts for babies, no chocolate in sight!

If this is your little one?s first Easter you might want to mark the occasion with something a little extra special. Here are 10 Easter gift ideas, which won't harm little teeth.

7 tips for a kid-free trip, not a guilt trip

Although I?m jumping out of my skin to take my child-free holiday, I?m dreading the goodbye. But I?m determined to make the most of it without tarnishing it with guilt or sadness about leaving the kids.

Itchibubs: clothes for babies and toddlers with eczema

Parents of children who suffer from eczema will know only too well the scratching that occurs around the clock. A new clothing range aims to help make everyone more comfortable.

Ear piercing: what age is best?

What is it that shapes our opinions on what?s an 'appropriate' age for our children to get their ears pierced? Parents share their views on how young is too young when it comes to piercing.

Caring for kids helps grandmothers stay mentally alert

Looking after grandchildren can help grandmothers ward off brain disease - but it's also possible to get too much of a good thing, researchers say.

Why I loved my third home water birth

After two water births at home, I was determined to give birth to my son the same way. I just hoped this birth would be quicker than my last two.

Revealed: 7 ways food marketers try to trick consumers

If you?re confused by food labels, you?re not alone. Next time you?re shopping for food, look out for these seven common labelling tricks.

'My mother-in-law found out our baby's gender behind our backs'

My husband and I mutually decided that we didn?t want to know our baby's sex before the birth, but his mother couldn't handle that.

Free Printable Activities

Keeping little hands busy

Free printable acitivity pages like colouring in, cutting, word finders, mazes, maths activities and puzzles.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.