Annoyed at gym
Am I being OTT?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Stellabella1980

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

So I joined the female gym just before the new year to loose the extra baby weight I have put on. All the ladies are extremely nice and it was good during the holiday period because the gym was quiet. It has a crèche that opens at 9am and most of the classes start at 915am so perfect for me. However today I arrive for my first spin (rpm) class at 845 so that I have enough time to get changed into my clothes before the class and it was already full!! There are only 15 bikes in the class so they use a ticket system where you have to have a ticket to save a bike and join the class - first in best dressed. I looked around the gym and there was only 6 ladies on the floor so I thought there must be a lot of ladies in the change room. There was a pump class which started at 8am that was going on upstairs in another level of the gym. I decided to just use the cross trainer and treadmill instead (had already out bub into the crèche) ....I watched about 20 ladies come down stairs from the class at 9am and 15 of those ladies went straight into the spin room!!!  So for me to get a ticket to do the spin class I would have to go to the gym at 745am to get a ticket, go home for a bit then come back to the gym at 9am when the crèche opens!  Is this completely unfair on the gyms behalf?. Other gyms I have been to only open the spin room 15minutes prior to the class time, first on a bike is in, or only release the tickets 15minutes prior to the class.....am I being  over the top in my complaint...I am in half a mind to write to the manager and ask to do the system differently! Any feedback is appreciated! original.gif

#2 bikingbubs

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

I think you are fair in being annoyed.  The gym I worked at would also only let you get a pass 15 minutes before the class started.  If people wanted to do a double class, they came out and got one (and likewise if they were there on the treadmill or whatever before hand, they still had to come and get one)

No one complained about the system as it was fair for all!

#3 mumbo

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

No. Not over the top OP.  That seems really unfair.  Good luck with your complaint.

#4 ~flaxen~

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

Ours has you put your name down for places for the following week every Monday morning (so a wk in advance). Once they are full you can put down for a reserve and they call you if anyone gives enough notice that they can't make it.

It still fills up really quickly.

Edited by ~flaxen~, 07 January 2013 - 02:25 PM.

#5 Placebo

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

Yes, this can and does happen frequently.  Is it fair?  No.

May be a good idea to have a nice, friendly chat to your club manager about it.  No recriminations, no nastiness, but also asking them to consider implementing ~flaxen~s very sensible idea  original.gif

Good luck and well done on joining (and USING!!) a gym.

#6 snuffles

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

Wow that is nuts.

My gym doesn't have any sort of ticketting system at all - we just turn up.  I have NEVER seen a full spin class, there is at least one every day, there are about 40 bikes in the room and usually there are about 15 people in a class.

I have only ONCE been to a full class, that was on Christmas Eve (!!) - it was pump, the only reason it was declared 'full' is because we ran out of weights... there were probably 45 people there but no one missed out, they just improvised and shared the weights.

I would definitely be annoyed if I couldn't get to my class.  If you're in the Penrith area I can recommend a good gym...

#7 bright*future

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

The gym I went to previously did that, and moved to an online booking system which was an improvement, there were a certain amount of spots that could be booked online in advance (I would wake up in the middle of the night and book my spot, otherwise by 6.30 am they were all gone!!) and then a few spots you could still get a ticket for 30 mins prior to the class starting.

I think there could still be an improvement but the online system was better than turning up (especially with bub in tow) and potentially missing out. Good luck!

#8 emlis22

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

This is the same at my gym (kinda). Saturdays you dont put your name down for the spin class - so you have to get there SUPER early to get a bike. Same goes for the pump class afterwards (in terms of equipment and floor space), if you come less than 15min prior you're pretty much screwed!

#9 jessie123

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

This puts me off gyms.

#10 Jax12

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

Wow, I would be really gutted if I'd dragged my lazy a*se out of bed and been organised enough to try and attend a class only to have all the spots taken an hour earlier!  Fair enough that you are annoyed by this.  I can see that the gym has a system in place and so these women aren't breaking any rules, but it is a flawed system.  It might be worth writing a letter to management and rationally explaining the disadvantage of opening up the tickets so much earlier than the scheduled class.  I imagine that you are not the only person this happens to!

#11 SeaPrincess

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:19 AM

I can book classes ahead online. If you book and don't turn up, it is recorded and if it happens 3 times, something happens - lose access to online booking maybe. I've never missed a class that I've booked so I don't know.  I usually book ahead because I have to book the crèche as well.

#12 KT1978

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:45 AM

Maybe people are doing double classes because of work and school holidays. I can't imagine many do this year round? It could settle down once everyone breaks their new years resolutions!

#13 tibs

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:00 AM

My gym (Fernwood) has that system too.  They do it that way because they think it is unfair to the people already in the pump class otherwise.  Because pump is weights many people seem to back it up with a cardio class and at my Fernwood they purposely timetable it so you can do that so I can't see them changing the system.  I think it sucks too as I also have to wait for the creche to open so can't just come earlier or do the pump class first but the "regulars" either don't have children or have older kids so it works for them.  Not that I'm going at the moment, the school aged kids in the creche there were trampling all over my toddler, literally  mad.gif

#14 strawberrycakes

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

That was something that really bugged me about the gym I used to be a member at.  The creche opened at 9am & one of my fav classes started at 9:15am, however I could hardly ever get a token for the class because so many women that didn't have children to put into the creche were able to sit around drinking cups of tea early & took all the tokens well before the class actually started.

SO many women complained so the gym introduced a rule that tokens would not be handed out until 5 - 10 minutes before the class started.  Still didn't help the ladies that were trying to sign their children into creche.

The fact that I could never get into the classes I wanted was one of the major reasons why I decided to cancel my membership.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Video: 10-week-old baby sounds like she says 'I love you'

It’s mixed in amongst garbled baby talk, but this 10-week-old's apparent attempt at telling her parents that she loves them has made her an internet star.

I only enjoyed pregnancy after booking my caesarean

To say I became obsessed is something of an understatement. Everywhere I went I found cause to be reminded of my impending pain.

When your bundle doesn't bring immediate joy

One mum says joy is very a personal feeling and expecting all new mums to feel it in the months after their baby born may do more harm than good.

Lessons learned from my toddler

Blogger Kiran Chug explains why she is going to let her toddler make more decisions for himself.

Family welcomes first baby girl in more than 100 years

The Silverton family has heard the phrase "it's a girl" for the first time in four generations.

When a community of kindness steps in

In future when someone I care for, or even someone I barely know, is experiencing a difficult time, I will not overthink it. I'll follow my heart.

Mum in Business: Jac Bowie

Jac Bowie is the founder of Business in Heels, one of the fastest growing women’s networking events in Australia. She shares her story, including how she juggles work with a young family, and ways to work smarter.

What not to say to a mum of twins

Being a mum of identical twin boys stirs up great interest and fascination. It also opens itself up to nosy, invasive questions, as well as huge assumptions.

The mums suing over unplanned babies

A mother-of-five who calls her two youngest sons "miracle babies" is just one of many mums seeking financial compensation for their children's unplanned conceptions.

Video: Dad sings 'Hallelujah' to his daughter every year

It's a gorgeous song to begin with, but this dad's version of Hallelujah, sung for his young daughter, is especially touching.

Constipation in babies when starting solids

While starting solids can be frustrating and messy (yet also fun!), introducing solids can also play havoc on tiny digestive systems.

Parents reunited with baby snatched from hospital

A mother whose newborn baby was snatched from hospital has spoken of her joy and relief at getting her daughter back.

In defence of the bumpie

Are bumpies - bump selfies - really "exhibitionism of the weirdest kind"?

Life on the other side of the fence: Why I'm child-free and quite content

Acknowledging that motherhood isn't a bed of roses – to begrudge lack of time, sleep, money and spontaneity – is sacrilegious and a no-no, especially by mother superior-types.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher

Fill out this quick survey and tell us in 25 words or less your best pregnancy or parenting tip - you'll go in the draw to win a $200 Pumpkin Patch voucher.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Vote for a chance to win $5000

The first ever Essential Baby Awards, celebrating the best in baby products. We?re inviting you to have your say. Simply vote for your favourite products to win a $5000 VISA debit card.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Baby news for Isla and Sacha

Congratulations are in order for Aussie actress Isla Fisher and her husband, Sacha Baron Cohen.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Vote to win

What are your favourite baby products?

The first ever Essential Baby Awards, celebrating the best in baby products. We?re inviting you to have your say. Simply vote for your favourite products to win a $5000 VISA debit card.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.