Choosing a Childcare Centre
What to look for?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ABabyPlease

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

Hi I am starting to look for a childcare centre for when my little one is 18 - 24 months for 1 - 2 days a week.

What should I be looking for or asking when I visit centres?

#2 Mumma Franklin

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

I think ratio wise all centers should be the same
So pretty much find out if you can visit a few times before your little one starts so they can get used to the centre. Mainly just spend some time there and get the feel for the staff you will soon know if you like the place or not?
Some centers can be old but have such an amazing feel about them with wonderful experienced staff while other centers can be new and so much new equipment etc but have lousy staff but it can be vice versa
So pretty much just get a tour for the centre and ensure they allow orientation before starting at the centre!

#3 MissingInAction

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

Do the staff (not just the director) seem happy ?  Pleasant?  Honest?  Stressed?  Uncaring?  
What's your gut feeling when entering the room (at various times of the day... just drop in and visit casually... not too much or you'll get a rep as an annoying parent but once or twice unannounced should give you a feel for how it "really" works)?  All centres, all rooms, all workers and all kids have bad days but if you're consistently seeing a very untidy room, stressed staff and snotty noses, crying children everywhere you look and chaos about to implode over in the back corner you've got problems!!  
Tour the whole centre, not just the room that they'll initially be enrolling in and see what you think.
Ask any questions you have, don't feel silly, just ask!!  
Are staff qualified?  Is there a low staff turnover?  
Have they been assessed against the new National Quality Framework and, if so, how did they go?
Does their philosophy match yours?  

#4 Mamabear2010

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

I mostly picked our centre based on gut feel. Other than that, ask about their policies about specific things. For example, exclusion policies (when will your child be excluded due to illness), holidays (do they shut over Christmas), make up policy (this is rare- but some centres allow you to swap days if your child is sick or there's a public holiday), first aid (my centre will give Panadol to my ds if I provide it with a pharmacy label), picking up extra days (if the centre has space, can you pick up an odd day here or there).

I chose a centre where there is a chef-they provide morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea (plus any snacks). I provide breakfast and dinner, which they will serve. For breakfast, I provide cereal and they provide the milk. I LOVE not having to pack lunch for my ds.

I also chose a centre where they provide all the nappies. This is an added bonus, rather than a necessity.

As pp said, look through the centre, speak to the staff. Look at the play equipment.

Good luck! It can be challenging, especially if you're not used to leaving your child with others.

PS Ask about staff turnover. It's an important question- you don't want your child to have lots of changes in their caregivers. It's very unsettling.

#5 MissingInAction

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE (Mamabear2010 @ 07/01/2013, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I chose a centre where there is a chef-they provide morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea (plus any snacks). I provide breakfast and dinner, which they will serve. For breakfast, I provide cereal and they provide the milk. I LOVE not having to pack lunch for my ds.

Breakfast AND Dinner?! What are the opening hours of this centre? That's a long day. Are you in a capital city?
I've worked with children for a decade and have never come across a centre that serves dinner.  Ever.  Breakfast: yes.  Dinner:  Never!  Wow.  That's certainly different!

#6 FizzlingFireboxes

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

I would look for the following:
- Is the centre clean
- Are staff happy, Are kids happy. As a pp mentioned centre's have bad moment with some kids might be having a bad day but you can see how the staff react.
- will they follow your own routine or do they have their own.
- sleeping was a big one for me. Our centre has two cot rooms in the baby room (0-2). This was a positive for me incase there was a troubled sleeper etc there was another room. To help DS settle in they allowed me to bring in his seahorse which played music quietly for a little while.
-  will they move him up a room when he turns two? Or will he start in the older room? I know a room change can be scary and if he just started at 18months this may be too much?

Also see if you can ease him in, we started a month or so before I was due to go back to work. I attended with DS for an hour for a few days, then left him there for a coupe of hours for a few days, and worked up to sleeping there and staying the day.

Best of luck original.gif

ETA. Look at what's included like a pp mentioned. Meals, nappies etc... Or centre has all this included but DS has very sensitive skin and ended up in a rash from their nappies, I have provided our own nappies for 12months now and they have stuck a sign up over the change table with his picture stating he has his own nappies original.gif

Edited by mummy.to.one, 07 January 2013 - 12:35 PM.

#7 Tesseract

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

Go with your gut. A good centre will leave you feeling good, a bad one will (hopefully) leave you feeling a little off even if you can't pinpoint why.

Good questions to ask:
-Who owns the centre or is it community run? We ended up at a community one but I visited two private ones. The first answered this by saying "Oh I'm not sure, he only comes in a couple of times a year, he's an investor" - this was a red flag for me because it indicated that profit was the main motivator for decision-making. The second answered this by saying "I am the owner" and then telling me about how he and his wife, who were both teachers, started the centre because there wasn't adequate childcare in the area yada yada yada. So "private" can mean different things.
-Staff turnover? Or just asking "how long have you been here? And what about her? And her?" If nobody has been there longer than a couple of years that would be a big red flag for me. At our centre most of the staff had been there upwards of 5 years. Happy staff usually means a good centre.
-Sleep/settling approach. One centre I visited had 5 infants younger than 6 months and they were all "learning to self settle" by being left to scream in their cots. At our centre the staff settle all babies and children by patting etc if/when they need it. I think the approach to sleep/settling gives you an insight into how they view children and how flexible they are willing to be to suit the child's needs.

Look at the way the staff interact with the children. Are they cuddling them? Being responsive? Smiling?

Don't be swayed by a swish new building, it's the staff that count. Don't be worried about a bit of mess - children make mess when they eat and play, the space should feel like it's well loved by lots of little hands. And staff that are constantly tidying don't have time to read stories etc.

#8 roses99

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

These are the things I love about our daycare centre:

* It's a C&K, community run centre. So any profits go back into the centre.

* It's attached to a university, so following policy precisely, keeping up to date on early childhood developments etc are prioritised.

* It has an open door policy to parents - you're welcome to pop in at any time, unannounced and parents are encouraged to come in to read to kids, play an instrument etc. Parent involvement is encouraged, and I feel this helps them stay accountable.

* It has a very low staff turnover and a mostly mature-aged staff body. My DD was in the baby room last year; her two carers had been with the centre for eight and 12 years respectively.

* It has an on-site kitchen and a cook who bakes daily for afternoon tea and cooks a nutritious, hot lunch every day. It also has a kitchen garden, that the kids help with, as well as chooks, and this fresh produce is used in the daily meals. I LOVE not having to provide any food!

* The centre is set in rural surrounds at the edge of town (no busy roads) and has plenty of green space and trees. This means that each age group has its own playground, fully fenced and separate from the rest of the centre. I loved that my DD (in the baby's room) was only ever exposed to seven other kids, all in her same age group. This year, she's in the toddler room and they have their own playground too. The older two age groups have a large playground to share.

There's probably more, but I can't think of anything else right now. The main thing is that I just got a really good feel for the place. They love the kids, it's obvious that the kids come first, and the staff are always so calm and friendly. It's got a really great vibe. Love it!!

ETA: As the PP mentioned, sleep policy is really important. Our centre would never let a child scream to learn to self-settle. The first few weeks DD was there (she was 18 months when she started), she had trouble settling in her cot, so one of her carers would either rock her to sleep with a bottle or push her around in a pram to fall asleep. Gradually, and very gently, they weaned her off both and she became a champion sleeper. They put in a lot of work to make her comfortable and were rewarded when DD started sleeping for a solid 3-4 hours a day  wink.gif

Edited by roses99, 07 January 2013 - 12:52 PM.

#9 Bluestocking

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

Does the centre provide an education program?

What is the routine of the room?

How do the kids in the room look? Bored, lonely, happy, busy?

How is the room set up? Do the kids get to access the toys themselves or is the room set up so the child can choose their own activity? Its nice to have a room that is bright and clean, interesting, but not overwhelming.

What kind of activities will your child get to participate in? Eg. painting, arts/crafts, music and dance, visits from firefighters, plays and shows, etc.

How do the staff talk to your child when you visit? Do they seem interested and welcoming? Do they get down to the childs level chat to them in an age appropriate way?

How interested is the director in the running of the centre? Do they seem proud, know the kids and what is going on, or are they bored and uninterested?

How is bad behaviour handled?

#10 ABabyPlease

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:19 AM

Thanks Everyone - great advice!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Get your FREE Baby & Toddler Ticket!

Get your free ticket to the Essential Baby & Toddler Show Brisbane (4-6 March). Register online now to save $20!

Newborn baby found in a nativity scene

Police are trying to trace a woman who abandoned a baby boy in the manger of a church nativity scene.

Life would be harder without my kids

The Humans of New York Facebook page is well known for sharing touching, real stories from one of the world's biggest cities – and it's just hit the heart of parents everywhere.

Mum dresses as Wonder Woman for last day of chemo

A Brisbane mum dressed up as a superhero to celebrate the end of her chemotherapy and created a moment her family will remember forever.

How a raisin can predict a toddler's IQ

All you need to assess a child's future intelligence is a plastic cup and a raisin, according to new research.

Former Hi-5 member's cannabis hope

Former Hi-5 star Tim Harding hopes a cannabis-derived drug will help control his daughter's epilepsy, which sees the four-year-old suffering between 50 and 100 seizures a day.

The top 5 reasons your toddler throws a tantrum

Whilst to the outside world little people may appear to have it easy, it's actually not always the case – just ask any toddler who's had their toast cut up the wrong way.

Glenn McGrath thought he'd lost his wife and baby

Australian cricket ledged Glen McGrath has spoken about the moment he thought he might lose his wife, Sara and their baby daughter, Madison.

Inside my Centrelink nightmare

Mother Bec Smith has been trying for months to access Centrelink payments. A "serious error" is preventing her.

Warnings over push for hourly childcare billing

Australia's peak childcare body has called for caution around the Turnbull government's push for childcare centres to charge parents by the hour, not by the day.

Cate Blanchett thought about adopting for years

Cate Blanchett says her recent adoption of a baby girl had nothing to do with wanting a daughter after having three sons.

Kate Walsh: 'I can't have kids'

Grey's Anatomy star Kate Walsh has revealed she is unable to have children because she has experienced early menopause.

The parasite that could boost fertility

The Tsimane women of Bolivia are often revered as among the most fertile in the world - on average having 10 children in their lifetimes -- but some are even more fertile than others.

Family may sue cousin over genetics

A Melbourne couple is suing the Royal Children's Hospital for failing to diagnose a genetic disorder in their first child - an error they allege caused them to have another child with severe disabilities.

Strange things mums have done in labour

While most women in labour focus on the upcoming birth of their baby, some women do more interesting things.

Michael Clarke reveals baby's name

When Michael Clarke said he was wrapped around the finger of his little princess, he wasn't joking.

The logistics of breastfeeding twins

Our life is more or less divided into neat four hour parcels of time and it's hard to get much of anything done in the time between feeds.

How to stop people ruining Christmas

We can make a conscious effort about how we react to those curly Christmas day scenarios that can send us up the wall, or should we say chimney.

Lots of formula offers for desperate mum

The mum who was down to her last three tins of baby formula said she had received hundreds of calls and offers to send her formula.

Surviving breast cancer while pregnant

It was last thing Rebecca O'Donnell expected at 30 weeks' pregnant. One morning, while putting on her bra, she felt a pea-sized lump in her right breast.

Cot sheet brands for the nursery

With so many awesome cot sheet options these days, we thought we'd put together a list of go-to brands for you to seek out for your baby's bed.

What's hot on EB

How I survived breast cancer while pregnant

It was last thing Rebecca O'Donnell expected at 30 weeks' pregnant. One morning, while putting on her bra, she felt a pea-sized lump in her right breast.

Grieving father's letter to Bataclan terrorists: "...this little boy will threaten you by being happy and free"

A grieving father whose wife was killed in the attacks on the Bataclan Theatre last weekend has written an open letter to her killers.

5 challenges of motherhood - and how to see them differently

Despite the smiles, the sloppy kisses and the pure magic children bring to our lives, it's hard to deny that motherhood can be tough.

4 challenges of being a new dad - and how to face them

Becoming a parent is challenging – and that applies to both mums and dads.

My battle against antenatal and postnatal depression

I was five months pregnant when I realised I needed help.

Children swapped at birth will not be returned to biological parents

A boy and girl accidentally swapped on the day they were born will stay with the families who have raised them, a South African court has ruled.

A quarter of men believe they get 'man periods'

A British study has revealed one in four men believe they have a monthly cycle.

Baby deposit

How much do you need to save for a 'baby deposit'?

It's fairly straightforward to calculate a house deposit, but how much money do you need to save up for a baby?

Dad's beautiful note to his wife, a nurse

To anyone else it might just look like a picture of a mum having a nap with her toddler.

'I was a complete schmuck': Mike Baird opens up about his wife's postnatal depression

When his wife Kerryn was not well following the birth of their daughter, NSW Premier Mike Baird buried himself in his work.

Mum's desperate plea as whooping cough alert issued

A desperate mother has shared a heart-breaking video of her baby struggling to cope with a coughing fit caused by pertussis.

Coffee could help you live longer

New US research found people who report drinking three to five cups of coffee a day are less likely to die prematurely from heart disease, suicide, diabetes or Parkinson's disease.

The joy and dread of playdates

To live vicariously through your child is to rediscover anxieties you thought dead and buried.

Sick baby could die without scarce special formula, mum says

Lizzie Cann is down to her last three tins of a special formula in short supply.

Adorable toddler's strop foiled by squeaky shoes

We're probably all familiar with the pouty bottom lip and tightly crossed arms of a tot mid-strop.

More sex during World Cup created more baby boys

More sex during South Africa's World Cup meant a disproportionately high number of boys were born nine months later, a new study has found.

ABC Shop perfect for Christmas gifts

What a boon it would be to have your toddler's Christmas gifts covered this year. We have two awesome ABC Shop prize packs to give away to two lucky winners.

Do fitness challenges really work?

Fitness challenges aren't new. There's Michelle Bridges 12WBT and a bunch of other programs if you really want to lose weight.

What are pregnant women Googling?

Pregnancy is a huge change for any woman, so it's natural we'll have questions - and turn to Google to ask them.

Can't decide?

Check out the Essential Baby Names section for some inspiration

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.