Choosing a Childcare Centre
What to look for?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ABabyPlease

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

Hi I am starting to look for a childcare centre for when my little one is 18 - 24 months for 1 - 2 days a week.

What should I be looking for or asking when I visit centres?

Thanks

#2 Mumma Franklin

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

I think ratio wise all centers should be the same
So pretty much find out if you can visit a few times before your little one starts so they can get used to the centre. Mainly just spend some time there and get the feel for the staff you will soon know if you like the place or not?
Some centers can be old but have such an amazing feel about them with wonderful experienced staff while other centers can be new and so much new equipment etc but have lousy staff but it can be vice versa
So pretty much just get a tour for the centre and ensure they allow orientation before starting at the centre!

#3 MissingInAction

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

Do the staff (not just the director) seem happy ?  Pleasant?  Honest?  Stressed?  Uncaring?  
What's your gut feeling when entering the room (at various times of the day... just drop in and visit casually... not too much or you'll get a rep as an annoying parent but once or twice unannounced should give you a feel for how it "really" works)?  All centres, all rooms, all workers and all kids have bad days but if you're consistently seeing a very untidy room, stressed staff and snotty noses, crying children everywhere you look and chaos about to implode over in the back corner you've got problems!!  
Tour the whole centre, not just the room that they'll initially be enrolling in and see what you think.
Ask any questions you have, don't feel silly, just ask!!  
Are staff qualified?  Is there a low staff turnover?  
Have they been assessed against the new National Quality Framework and, if so, how did they go?
Does their philosophy match yours?  

#4 Mamabear2010

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

I mostly picked our centre based on gut feel. Other than that, ask about their policies about specific things. For example, exclusion policies (when will your child be excluded due to illness), holidays (do they shut over Christmas), make up policy (this is rare- but some centres allow you to swap days if your child is sick or there's a public holiday), first aid (my centre will give Panadol to my ds if I provide it with a pharmacy label), picking up extra days (if the centre has space, can you pick up an odd day here or there).

I chose a centre where there is a chef-they provide morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea (plus any snacks). I provide breakfast and dinner, which they will serve. For breakfast, I provide cereal and they provide the milk. I LOVE not having to pack lunch for my ds.

I also chose a centre where they provide all the nappies. This is an added bonus, rather than a necessity.

As pp said, look through the centre, speak to the staff. Look at the play equipment.

Good luck! It can be challenging, especially if you're not used to leaving your child with others.

PS Ask about staff turnover. It's an important question- you don't want your child to have lots of changes in their caregivers. It's very unsettling.

#5 MissingInAction

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE (Mamabear2010 @ 07/01/2013, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I chose a centre where there is a chef-they provide morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea (plus any snacks). I provide breakfast and dinner, which they will serve. For breakfast, I provide cereal and they provide the milk. I LOVE not having to pack lunch for my ds.

Breakfast AND Dinner?! What are the opening hours of this centre? That's a long day. Are you in a capital city?
I've worked with children for a decade and have never come across a centre that serves dinner.  Ever.  Breakfast: yes.  Dinner:  Never!  Wow.  That's certainly different!

#6 mummy.to.one

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

I would look for the following:
- Is the centre clean
- Are staff happy, Are kids happy. As a pp mentioned centre's have bad moment with some kids might be having a bad day but you can see how the staff react.
- will they follow your own routine or do they have their own.
- sleeping was a big one for me. Our centre has two cot rooms in the baby room (0-2). This was a positive for me incase there was a troubled sleeper etc there was another room. To help DS settle in they allowed me to bring in his seahorse which played music quietly for a little while.
-  will they move him up a room when he turns two? Or will he start in the older room? I know a room change can be scary and if he just started at 18months this may be too much?

Also see if you can ease him in, we started a month or so before I was due to go back to work. I attended with DS for an hour for a few days, then left him there for a coupe of hours for a few days, and worked up to sleeping there and staying the day.

Best of luck original.gif

ETA. Look at what's included like a pp mentioned. Meals, nappies etc... Or centre has all this included but DS has very sensitive skin and ended up in a rash from their nappies, I have provided our own nappies for 12months now and they have stuck a sign up over the change table with his picture stating he has his own nappies original.gif

Edited by mummy.to.one, 07 January 2013 - 12:35 PM.

#7 Tesseract

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

Go with your gut. A good centre will leave you feeling good, a bad one will (hopefully) leave you feeling a little off even if you can't pinpoint why.

Good questions to ask:
-Who owns the centre or is it community run? We ended up at a community one but I visited two private ones. The first answered this by saying "Oh I'm not sure, he only comes in a couple of times a year, he's an investor" - this was a red flag for me because it indicated that profit was the main motivator for decision-making. The second answered this by saying "I am the owner" and then telling me about how he and his wife, who were both teachers, started the centre because there wasn't adequate childcare in the area yada yada yada. So "private" can mean different things.
-Staff turnover? Or just asking "how long have you been here? And what about her? And her?" If nobody has been there longer than a couple of years that would be a big red flag for me. At our centre most of the staff had been there upwards of 5 years. Happy staff usually means a good centre.
-Sleep/settling approach. One centre I visited had 5 infants younger than 6 months and they were all "learning to self settle" by being left to scream in their cots. At our centre the staff settle all babies and children by patting etc if/when they need it. I think the approach to sleep/settling gives you an insight into how they view children and how flexible they are willing to be to suit the child's needs.

Look at the way the staff interact with the children. Are they cuddling them? Being responsive? Smiling?

Don't be swayed by a swish new building, it's the staff that count. Don't be worried about a bit of mess - children make mess when they eat and play, the space should feel like it's well loved by lots of little hands. And staff that are constantly tidying don't have time to read stories etc.

#8 roses99

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

These are the things I love about our daycare centre:

* It's a C&K, community run centre. So any profits go back into the centre.

* It's attached to a university, so following policy precisely, keeping up to date on early childhood developments etc are prioritised.

* It has an open door policy to parents - you're welcome to pop in at any time, unannounced and parents are encouraged to come in to read to kids, play an instrument etc. Parent involvement is encouraged, and I feel this helps them stay accountable.

* It has a very low staff turnover and a mostly mature-aged staff body. My DD was in the baby room last year; her two carers had been with the centre for eight and 12 years respectively.

* It has an on-site kitchen and a cook who bakes daily for afternoon tea and cooks a nutritious, hot lunch every day. It also has a kitchen garden, that the kids help with, as well as chooks, and this fresh produce is used in the daily meals. I LOVE not having to provide any food!

* The centre is set in rural surrounds at the edge of town (no busy roads) and has plenty of green space and trees. This means that each age group has its own playground, fully fenced and separate from the rest of the centre. I loved that my DD (in the baby's room) was only ever exposed to seven other kids, all in her same age group. This year, she's in the toddler room and they have their own playground too. The older two age groups have a large playground to share.

There's probably more, but I can't think of anything else right now. The main thing is that I just got a really good feel for the place. They love the kids, it's obvious that the kids come first, and the staff are always so calm and friendly. It's got a really great vibe. Love it!!

ETA: As the PP mentioned, sleep policy is really important. Our centre would never let a child scream to learn to self-settle. The first few weeks DD was there (she was 18 months when she started), she had trouble settling in her cot, so one of her carers would either rock her to sleep with a bottle or push her around in a pram to fall asleep. Gradually, and very gently, they weaned her off both and she became a champion sleeper. They put in a lot of work to make her comfortable and were rewarded when DD started sleeping for a solid 3-4 hours a day  wink.gif

Edited by roses99, 07 January 2013 - 12:52 PM.

#9 Excentrique Feral

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

Does the centre provide an education program?

What is the routine of the room?

How do the kids in the room look? Bored, lonely, happy, busy?

How is the room set up? Do the kids get to access the toys themselves or is the room set up so the child can choose their own activity? Its nice to have a room that is bright and clean, interesting, but not overwhelming.

What kind of activities will your child get to participate in? Eg. painting, arts/crafts, music and dance, visits from firefighters, plays and shows, etc.

How do the staff talk to your child when you visit? Do they seem interested and welcoming? Do they get down to the childs level chat to them in an age appropriate way?

How interested is the director in the running of the centre? Do they seem proud, know the kids and what is going on, or are they bored and uninterested?

How is bad behaviour handled?

#10 ABabyPlease

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:19 AM

Thanks Everyone - great advice!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss, as it involves toilet talk. But it needs to be talked about.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.