8 yo still in hiliner?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 apple123

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

I have an almost 8 year old boy who is around 26kg. He is above average height for his age, but not really tall. He still fits in the hiliner fine.

Does anyone still have an 8 year old still in a booster or should I take him out of it? Is it still much safer with the booster than without?

#2 lucky 2

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

Hi, I have a tall 8 yo (97th percentile) who still fits well in her hi-liner and will for some time to come.
I keep her in it based on the fact that her eyes are still well below the level of the top of the head rest.
I don't weigh her so I don't go by weight.
She was telling me this morning how comfortable her seat was and how she really wants to keep using it for as long as she can. Yay!

#3 zande

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

My DD came out of her Infa Vario only late last year, when she was nearly 9. She was just on 26kg but was 149cm tall and was definitely looking too big for the seat. I wasn't happy about it, but she literally didn't fit! I didn't think about the age thing, she was safer in the booster so was happy she was in it. I definitely don't know any other children (other than on EB) that are still in boosters past about 7. My DD didn't ever mind or comment tho.

#4 Puggle

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

My DD7 will be in her booster for some time to come - going by her current weight and height she'll still be in there at close to 9, I'd say. Fortunately she's fairly sensible and realises it is the safest place for her at this stage.

She also knows my sister died in a car accident as a child and understands I am trying to keep her as safe as possible.

#5 IsolaBella

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

My kids will be staying in a booster until they pass the five step test.

http://childrestraints.co.nz/seatbelts.php
1. Does the child sit all the way back against the auto seat?

2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the auto seat?

3. Does the belt cross the shoulder between the neck and arm?

4. Is the lap belt as low as possible, touching the thighs?

5. Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip?

I anticipate DS2 will be 10yrs, DS1 12 yrs.

Generally speaking it is not j til a child is around 145cm that they are Ok without a booster. I can say this with some authority... I am 150cm small and there are some car rear seats I wish I had a half booster for me.

Eta your booster is tested with a 32kg test dummy. Also the HiLiner is sold in the Us as a seat for kids to 50kgs. The booster seats are seatbelt positioning tools.

Edited by lsolaBella, 07 January 2013 - 10:59 AM.

#6 roses99

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

My kids will stay in 5 pt harnesses until they grow out of them. Then they'll be in dedicated boosters until they physically grow out of them. They may complain, because it seems most kids take their kids out of carseats as soon as they're legally able to, but I'll just explain that safety comes first.

#7 Rolex

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

I have a DS who is 10 next month, still in an Infa Vario.  He's just started complaining in the last few months so I've ordered a seatbelt height adjuster out of the UK (there is a thread here, should be fairly recent).  Once that arrives he can come out of his booster, but the seatbelt alone is still too tall for him at the moment.

#8 TeaTimeTreat

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

The 5 step test is a good guide, something to think about is that in the UK children are expected to be in boosters until 12yrs now so when you think of it in that context 8 is not so old after all!

Edited by sparkler, 20 January 2013 - 11:37 PM.

#9 IsolaBella

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

EU law is booster until 12yrs/145cm in height.

They did consider this too for here, but as our boosters only need to fit a max height of 128cm, plus they were increasing the laws from 1yrs to 7yrs they thought that was enough. They are considering though changing the law to 10yrs 135cm once more Type F boosters are out (which are built to 135cm).

#10 TeaTimeTreat

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

QUOTE (lsolaBella @ 07/01/2013, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
EU law is booster until 12yrs/145cm in height.

They did consider this too for here, but as our boosters only need to fit a max height of 128cm, plus they were increasing the laws from 1yrs to 7yrs they thought that was enough. They are considering though changing the law to 10yrs 135cm once more Type F boosters are out (which are built to 135cm).

My mum has been saying they have a lot of issues with compliance over there (UK) but it still makes sense to have the laws in place, I read a car safety article saying that cars are designed to protect people from about 5'4" up and smaller women and children under that height are more vunerable in a crash.

Edited by sparkler, 20 January 2013 - 11:38 PM.

#11 Freddie'sMum

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

I have a 7-and-a-half year old in a Safe n Sound Highliner.

I intend keeping her in it for at least the next 2 years.

I would keep him in it.

#12 IsolaBella

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

Hybrid IIIis a 5th % female at 5ft and 50kgs. This is what car seatbelts are tested with.

#13 toadflax

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

My (tall, lean) son is 9, turning 10 in May, and has a SnS HiLiner. He has almost reached the height limit (as printed on the shoulders of the seat) so probably won't be in it much longer. My understanding is that this seat is the same as the Britax Parkway (sold in the US for children up to 160cm and 54kg). One of our problems was that the headrest was too high for my car (Corolla) so he just uses the seat belt when he is with me. It is fine in my husband's car (4WD) as it has the headroom.

#14 lucky 2

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

Our second car is a corolla and we have the same problem with head room, fine in the suv and fwd.

#15 CrunchyNut

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

Our 8yr old is still in his hi-liner and will be until he grows out of it, he's average height/weight.

#16 kyrrie

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

My 9 year old will be in her hi liner for another couple of years. When she was 7 she sat on the seat without the booster and I explained how the seatbelt needed to fit. She very happily tells her friends that she is not tall enough to go without a booster yet and she is safer in her seat.

#17 fillesetjumeaux

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

My 8yo is still in a booster.  She will stay in it until she outgrows it.  There is only one seating position in my car which is suitable for anything other than an adult, and DD1 is already in this spot!  Hopefully by the time DD2 outgrows her booster, DD1 will be tall enough for one of the other positions.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

How I learnt to relax about routines

After many routine-led, tough years, we've realised that being parenting isn't about being perfect. It isn't about following a schedule to a T.

Should you have a third child or not?

I thought our family had been complete with our two boys. I had no idea how much I needed my daughter until she was here.

Helping a toddler embrace an adopted sibling

A single parent by choice, I am preparing to adopt a second baby from Morocco. And I face a special challenge.

When pregnancy messes with your self-esteem

Pregnancy doesn't make all women feel beautiful. It certainly doesn't raise every woman's self-esteem.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Robbie Williams live tweets wife's labour

And the award for most patient woman in labour goes to ... Robbie Williams' wife, Ayda Field.

Vaccine ignorance is deadly and contagious

In the absence of credible, strong political leadership, paranoia about disease can go viral.

Parenting differently based on birth order

All children have unique personalities, but keeping birth order in mind could help when parenting.

How to get rid of the mum guilt

Motherhood and guilt seem to go hand in hand, but there are ways to focus

Paid parental leave scheme grinds to a halt

The future of Prime Minister Tony Abbott's paid parental leave scheme appears to be up in the air, despite the fact it is due to begin in less than nine months.

The devastation of foetal alcohol spectrum disorders

No one's sure how many Australians are affected by foetal alcohol spectrum disorders, but the consequences for those who are can be devastating.

The pros and cons of finding out the sex of your unborn baby

It’s often one of the biggest choices parents make during the course of their pregnancy; to find out, or not to find out, the sex of their baby before it’s born.

Toddler's awesome dress up month

Two-year-old Willow and her photographer mum, Gina Lee, made October "Dress Up Willow Month". She posted photos of Willow's costumes on her Instagram account, and her creative takes on popular culture are simply adorable.

Childhood around the world

It can be easy to assume our ideas around childhood are universal, but they are particular to where we live, as these practices show.

Best picks for baby and toddler shoes

Here's a great selection of footwear from pre-walker to walker ensuring comfort and style for growing feet.

I lost my wife and daughters to Ebola - then it came for my son

Sunday, September 21, is a day I will never forget.

The 'yucky' illness that took over my life

I have a chronic illness nobody likes to discuss. It involves toilet talk, and probably caused my miscarriage. But it needs to be talked about.

Prenatal testing: the facts

Prenatal testing is done to check if a baby has certain medical conditions before birth. Here is some important information about what the tests are for and the risks involved.

5 things to do with your baby?s old clothes

Did you think your only option for your baby?s old clothes was to pack them away or give them to the Salvos? Think again.

Why it's possible to not realise you're pregnant until the baby arrives

After hearing about 'surprise babies' born to mums who didn't know they were pregnant, it's common to ask "how did she not realise?" But experts say it's entirely possible for it to happen.

'My miracle is finally here'

How has the world continued on its pace when mine has been altered so drastically?

Dairy can help older women fall pregnant: study

Ice cream may be the ultimate comfort food, but a study suggests it could also help older women to have children.

Megan Gale goes topless for 'sexiest people' cover

Six months after a heavily pregnant Megan Gale posed nude for Marie Claire, the glowing new mum has gone topless for the cover of another magazine.

A new perspective on life from living with two diseases

A mother shares her personal story about the difficulty of living with two conditions, one of which stops her from being able to see her daughter's face.

Warning about Children's Panadol dosage

The Therapeutic Goods Administration has issued a safety advisory warning parents about confusion when using the dosing syringe supplied with Children's Panadol.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Take 'The Coles Big Nappy Change' Challenge

You could become part of our Test Drive team and win one of 200 packs of Coles Little Explorer Nappies as part of our 5-day challenge.

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Join us in The BIG nappy change

Introducing the new Coles Little Explorer Nappies! You can confidently rely on Coles Little Explorer nappies at each stage of your child's growth, so take the Big Nappy Change and try new Coles Little Explorer nappies for yourself!

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

Thief uses breast milk as weapon

Police are on the hunt for a thief who robbed a pharmacy using her lactation skills.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.