Is anyone following the Steubenville, Ohio Rape case?
Triggers please tread carefully if this is sensitive

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 censura carnero

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

In Steubenvile, Ohio there is a case where a 16 year old girl was allegedly gang raped by a bunch of foot ballers.  The girl was drugged and had no idea what had happened to her until she basically put the pieces of the puzzle together via social media. The attackers and onlookers tweeted about it and filmed it.   The town has allegedly tried to sweep it under the carpet because the football team is the life blood of the town. There is far too much for me to write about here but it is very disturbing that a a whole town could seek to blame the victim in order to protect the footballers.  That this girl was dragged to a number of different parties unconscious. Including that of one of the school coaches.  She was raped, sodomised and then urinated on all while people watched and documented the occurrence via social media.  The only reason this has become a big news story is the New York Times ran an article on it and a website (similar to WikiLeaks) has released the videos and tweets that the the allegedly corrupt police said they have lost.  The reason I became aware of this case and have been reading about it non-stop for the last few days is because someone asserted the belief that western cultures have just as much of an issue of rape culture as india where the gang rape of a young woman resulted in her death.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/17/sports/h...ed=all&_r=0

Google it and there are numerous links that will help you understand the story.  I'm really disturbed by it.  It has prompted so much discussion about how we want to raise our son and daughter to not be brain washed by rape culture within the media and how we raise them to stop something that is going on in front of them if they see it happening.  How do we raise them to have the confidence to speak up.

Edited by censura carnero, 06 January 2013 - 07:46 PM.

#2 chrisharry

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

first i've heard about it,
the poor girl,friggen stupid town

#3 censura carnero

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

Yes it's quite odd it's not being covered at all here.  I heard about it through an American Facebook page that tries to address sexism and sexualisation of children within the media.  There are large protests outside the court house.  Two so far have occurred.  Thank goodness there are people prepared to speak up and defend this poor child.

#4 Guest_LeChatNinjah_*

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

Someone sent me a link to this on FB the other night and I was just beyond shocked and horrified.

The comments, omg, the comments the bystanders made.  I have no words.

sad.gif

I don't know how we change it, I really don't.  I guess the best we can do is to bring up our sons to respect everyone, not just women, but everyone, including themselves.

#5 censura carnero

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

http://jezebel.com/5972553/anonymous-leaks...-trayvon-martin

This is the link to the video of them bragging about it on the night of the alleged rape.  It is horrendous so please tread carefully.

#6 Guest_LeChatNinjah_*

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

And I suppose we need to teach our daughters not to tolerate any such crap, but it's such a crying shame that we should have to do that.  sad.gif

#7 chrisharry

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

its not hard to raise your children in a manner that requires respect,for all other humans and creatures-except redback spiders original.gif

#8 censura carnero

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:00 PM

QUOTE (chrisharry @ 06/01/2013, 07:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
its not hard to raise your children in a manner that requires respect,for all other humans and creatures-except redback spiders original.gif

Considering how many dozens of people allowed this to occur by  being silent observers I think this discussion deserves more than your comment.  I'm sure that every parent of every child present that night would have no idea their child was capable of being an onlooker or a participant of such an atrocious act.

#9 red_squirrel

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

That is just so sad. I have no idea how to stop this stuff happening. Stop blokes acting in moronic packs.

#10 fairymagic

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

That story is disgusting beyond belief. I can't imagine why those boys involved have not been charged, why the police would not be coming down harder on those involved and why adults ie the coaches etc would protect those involved yet suspend those that dared to speak up saying what they saw. Absolutely disgusting. I hope in the end the girl involved get the justice she deserves. It is so sad to read of her life now after the event with friends ostracising her and threats being made. It does not entirely surprise me though - you hear once in a while about events that occur whereby illegal actions have been done by one or more people on a sporting team which for whatever reason seems to be the "lifeblood" of a town and God forbid, my charging and removing the offending person(s) from the team, it would have such a huge and lasting impact on the team that it isn't done.

Pity those parents that support these football players don't see the example of excusing or ignoring their behaviour has on others coming behind them. Shame on those that have not brought justice to that poor girl.

#11 censura carnero

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

Fairymagic two players have been charged and are under house arrest.  The rest have not even been suspended from a game.  Even those who were involved in publishing the attack on the WWW via social media.

#12 Maple Leaf

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

I don't think I will be able to watch the video, the link to the article was enough.
What is with these neanderthals?

I hope they throw the book at them, but with the way this town is, the 'alleged' rapists are celebrities and I'm sure will get off as lightly as possible.

This poor girl will never live it down or escape from it as long as they are in that town. They need to leave.

#13 Guest_LeChatNinjah_*

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

The entire thing has been handled so incredibly badly, and yet I'm not surprised, being quite familiar with small-town USA high school football culture.

These lads really are treated like gods, and it's despicable.  This certainly wouldn't be the first time something like this happens, it probably happens every week across the nation.

This one just happened to catch the eye of social media, and that's a bloody good thing.

An example needs to be made of all those involved.  A great start would be ensuring none of the players involved ever get a college scholarship and that the coach and other adults are prosecuted to the absolute extent of the law.

The players should, of course, also be prosecuted, but as they are minors that's likely to be a slap on the wrist - loss of college scholarship would probably be felt more deeply.

#14 KT1978

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:08 PM

I want to read the links but I just can't.

It's my worse nightmare that dd would have that happen to her.

It's shameful that people stand by and do nothing when these things happen, far too often.

#15 Feral_Pooks

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

Next time someone says something like "victims should report it" I'm linking to this thread.

I'm not reading links because of the trigger warning.

#16 Guest_LeChatNinjah_*

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

To Pooks and anyone who might find this particularly disturbing, please do NOT click.  The links are very, very confronting.

#17 FluffyOscar

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

Thanks for the link OP. What a ****ed up country that is.

That poor girl, I hope she has the opportunity to leave the country and get on with her life.

#18 SpunkyMonkey88

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

I've just read the whole thing for the first time. Extremely sickening that in today day and age things like this can still happen.

I pray that justice is found for the poor girl and her famil.

#19 Guest_LeChatNinjah_*

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

Fluffy, do you think similar things don't happen here?

Been to a B&S ball?  They can end up very much going down the same path, as can the footie culture here.  No, I don't think it's anywhere as bad or as deeply rooted in society as it is in the US, but it's heading that way.

Just look at fallen footy stars who are found to have done atrocious things and they still somehow usually end up back on their sporty pedastal.

It makes me sick, quite frankly.

#20 censura carnero

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

I'm so sorry if this post stirs up emotions for people reading this thread.  My heart goes out to you.

I think this is possibly the tip of the iceberg.  The more I read it seems that there is a web of disturbing corruption within the police force, the judicial system and the school admin including the principal and the coaches.

#21 FeralPerthFembo

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

Saw this yesterday. Breaks my heart and makes my blood boil simultaneously.

As another pp says, this likely goes on every week in small towns across U.S and the only reason it's blown up into a big national story is because one blogger took screen shots before deletion (of the social media pics/tweets), kept going on about it and the vigilant internet group Anonymous obtained the deleted social media evidence. If not for that, it would just be another case swept under the rug sad.gif

The act itself is so disgusting but the comments of some people excusing the behaviour, saying she asked for it or made it up etc is just as bad.  Reminds me of that comment a few years ago about the gang rape of a woman (by I think rugby players?), "she wasnt going up for a cup of milo". So sick of the victim blaming sad.gif

Edited by JBaby, 06 January 2013 - 08:36 PM.

#22 censura carnero

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE (LeChatNinjah @ 06/01/2013, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Been to a B&S ball?  They can end up very much going down the same path, as can the footie culture here.  No, I don't think it's anywhere as bad or as deeply rooted in society as it is in the US, but it's heading that way.

Just look at fallen footy stars who are found to have done atrocious things and they still somehow usually end up back on their sporty pedastal.

It makes me sick, quite frankly.

Exactly!  Think of all the footy scandals that we have had in Australia that have paid the girl to shut up.  The media has had a field day portraying the victim as a s*ut and the footballers as the the victims of a calculating, manipulative groupie.

#23 FluffyOscar

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE (LeChatNinjah @ 06/01/2013, 09:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe I am sheltered, privileged, ignorant, whatever. But in the past month in that country a primary school has buried its dead, and a girl has had her life destroyed by a pack of wolves being protected by those who should be protecting everyone else.

I really don't think those things happen here, and I was first assaulted at 13.

#24 censura carnero

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

MODS: I would prefer to keep this in WDYT as I want it to be a discussion around rape culture and how we as a society create an environment that allows such atrocities to occur.

#25 MagneticPoetry

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

I read about it for the first time tonight, there was a link on my FB feed.  It makes me feel sick.  I couldn't click on the link to the video, I just don't have the stomach for it.  That poor girl, only 16, she must feel like her life is over  sad.gif .  I hope justice is done.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.