Do you believe in Heaven and Hell

35 replies to this topic

#1 caroldiem

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

Hi Everyone,

Growing up a Christian i have always believed in God and Jesus coming from a family with very strong faith, i have been praying since i was a little girl. Losing my son Michael in July 2012 has made me more fascinated about Heaven and my mum has seen my son and my Nene together in a dream both dressed in white looking very happy and peaceful in a beautiful garden. I am a little jealous that neither of them have come to me in a dream yet i keep praying for it but nothing happens.

I found this story fascinating of a young boy who died and went to heaven and he came back to earth because Jesus had to answer the son's fathers prayer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdUGoFTfP7w

So do you believe in Heaven and Hell?

#2 Angelot

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

I am so very sorry for your loss.

I don't believe in the cartoon versions of heaven and hell; you know, angels with harps and fluffy clouds and pearly gates, or demons with pitchforks and lava filled caverns.

I do believe in the kingdom of heaven, but to me that's more about God's reign on this earth in our lifetime.  I think that hell is a way of talking about eternal destruction.

I do believe in eternal life, after the resurrection, but I think that those who have died are in a sense sleeping in God's care until that time.  That's my understanding of what the Bible promises and the church has understood through the ages.

Revelation does talk about those who are with God being robed in white, so perhaps your mother's dream is a legitimate source of comfort for you.

#3 la di dah

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

I believe in Heaven but not in Hell. However, I am not a Christian, so my view is very shaped by that.

I am so sorry for your loss and wish you comfort and healing.

#4 Cath42

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

My beliefs are very similar to Ange Vert's. The Bible teaches that the vast majority of people who die will 'sleep' until the resurrection. Some people will go to Heaven to form Jesus' government, but most will be resurrected to eternal life on Earth. We will see our loved ones again as the resurrection occurs. I know everyone has different beliefs, but those are mine.

#5 raven74

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

Nope.  I think they are states of emotion/spirituality that are experieced while living, not dead.
But then, I do not believe in god either.

#6 kim27

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:48 PM

QUOTE (Cath42 @ 06/01/2013, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My beliefs are very similar to Ange Vert's. The Bible teaches that the vast majority of people who die will 'sleep' until the resurrection. Some people will go to Heaven to form Jesus' government, but most will be resurrected to eternal life on Earth. We will see our loved ones again as the resurrection occurs. I know everyone has different beliefs, but those are mine.

This is why I find it hard to believe in such things. I we all 'sleep' until our eternal life on earth then surely you wouldn't be able to move for all the people!

#7 Jessie_T

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

I don't believe in either. Once I am in the ground jam in the ground.......

#8 Expelliarmus

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

Not exactly. Not in the traditional sense, but I believe we existed before we came here, and we will exist afterwards. I believe that there is a place where our spirit goes after we pass from this life and that there will come a time when we will live again. I don't think there is a fiery pit or anything. Hell to me is more a prison of our own making where the choices we make in spite of knowing what's right, will make us ultimately unhappy. So we might be happy but there's always a part of us that isn't totally fulfilled and knows what we are 'missing out on' and thus we will have those moments or spaces of 'hell', but it isn't a place and it isn't a burning.

#9 Mishu

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

I was raised a Catholic but have been questioning a few things lately, so this isn't from a particular 'faith' point of view. I have just finished reading a book by Eben Alexander called "Proof of Heaven". He is a neurosurgeon who goes into a coma with a brain infection, which (by all medical accounts) had a zero chance of surviving. He spontaneously comes out of the coma seven days later, to share his near-death experience of the afterlife. It is a fascinating read, not only because as a neurosurgeon he explores all the possible scientific explanations for his experience, but also for his account of the afterlife/heaven.

It is one of those books that is almost impossible to put down. And has left me with a lot of food for thought.

#10 Classic Red

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

Yes!!!  I do believe in heaven and hell.  

Sorry to hear that you lost your son Michael

#11 B.feral3

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE (raven74 @ 06/01/2013, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nope.  I think they are states of emotion/spirituality that are experieced while living, not dead.
But then, I do not believe in god either.

This.

I am very sorry for your loss. Whatever gives you comfort though is what matters most.

#12 caroldiem

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

Very interesting to hear other points of view thankyou for sharing.

Mishu the book you are suggesting sounds fascinating i must get my hands on it original.gif

#13 Feral_Pooks

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

I honesty don't know. The universe seems to use and reuse matter, so it makes intuitive sense that *life*, that spark, that soul must go on in some form. There is a part of me that wants to believe in justice, so badly, that I do hope there is some kind of fair judgement and consequence, but looking at the cruel reality of nature I am not too sure. Across human history there seems to be a consistent theme in experiences of the afterlife or expectation of an ongoing existence after death, I tend to think there must be something to it. Someone once told me that when you die, you are able to see yourself as God sees you, and that experience is either Heavenly... Or if you have been a cruel person without repentance, you are trapped in your own hell. That has a poetic truth to it.

I tend to focus on this world, this life now, because I feel there is just no way of knowing about any kind of afterlife, not while we live original.gif

But when I think about my loved ones who have passed, I don't know. I just feel, in my heart of hearts, that their energies go on.

I have this thought that my Dad's mother came to take him back in her arms when he died. I have this thought that when I die, he will be there for me. And it makes me less afraid. If he's there when my time comes, I know I'll be okay.

#14 caroldiem

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

When my Nenne died it was sort of sudden i mean she wasn't well diabetics had riddled her organs and her body and the dementia was progressing, but we were told when they found her dead lying in her bed she had a very big smile on her face, this tells me there has to be a afterlife and I am confident she was smiling because her loved ones came to take her to Heaven.

Also my sister had a dream as well and she saw my Nenne yet again dressed all in white sitting around a huge table talking with all her friends that have left this earth.

I don't get what is wrong with me why can't she come to me in my dreams

#15 Feral Nicety

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

I absolutely and utterly cannot believe in hell for eternity if it is based on 20 or 60 or 80 years of life on this plane.  No matter how evil a person is, that is insanely out of balance.

I absolutely and utterly cannot believe in hell for eternity if it is based on 20 or 60 or 80 years of life on this plane.  No matter how evil a person is, that is insanely out of balance.

#16 caroldiem

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

I know Balzac teh thought scares the crap out of me if you go on Youtube there are a number of testimonials of people that have been to Hell and they explain what it's like and how they beg God to give them another chance and so they return to Earth

#17 caroldiem

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

jameses mum - Just curious have you thought of the scenario where you are wrong about it all and because you don't believe in Jesus and God that when you die you don't go to heaven and you end up in hell.........

It could be a possibility right??

I meet with a no of bereaved mums who have lost their babies like myself and i am amazed at the amount of people who just don't believe in Jesus and God.... I just fear for them that is all that what happens if I am right and they are wrong

#18 Expelliarmus

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

I think the idea that not believing in God and Jesus means you end up in hell is quite a horrible one.

I don't see how it could POSSIBLY be a possibility at all.

#19 caroldiem

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:05 PM

I agree howdo it is a horrible thought and i hope i am wronggggg

I can't recall what the bible says my FIL would know

#20 meemee75

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

I don't believe in heaven or hell or God.

I'm 100% confident my beliefs are correct so I have no concerns original.gif

#21 caroldiem

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

meemee75 - That's great that your so confident in your beliefs original.gif I am a very logical, practical person but i struggle with this subject because you can't really prove anything u have to go on a belief

#22 choccy2

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

nope don't believe in either.

The only hell I've ever envisaged is right here on earth over various periods of history and for many of the worlds poorest population what they probably live right now every day...poverty, deprivation, illness, starvation, dehydration...

Edited by choccy2, 06 January 2013 - 10:17 PM.

#23 la di dah

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

QUOTE (caroldiem @ 06/01/2013, 10:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
jameses mum - Just curious have you thought of the scenario where you are wrong about it all and because you don't believe in Jesus and God that when you die you don't go to heaven and you end up in hell.........

It could be a possibility right??

I think of that a lot. I believe in G-d but not Jesus so a lot of people have asked me this. It's a well known principle that was first introduced to me when I was about ten. It's called Pascal's Wager. It's on Wikipedia. It's not a new argument.

I'm a Jew. I don't believe being Jewish is an automatic entrance to Heaven and I do believe non-Jews can go to Heaven, so I have been asked ever since childhood by Christian friends "why not be Christian, then, just to be on the safe side?"

For me personally, I basically I have no interest in being a Christian if that's true. Every single person I love will be in Hell anyway.

#24 Feral_Pooks

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

The bible says there are many paths to heaven.

This video might be helpful, the last things the minister talks about is Jesus saying in John 14 "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to God except through me".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBRaqwp2fP8

#25 lucky 2

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

I think that if there is a hell it would be right here on earth.
Heaven?, I think there is something other than being here on earth in the flesh but I don't know what it is. It just is.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

The 'no children' wedding invite

It was the wedding of one of my oldest and dearest friends, and she had invited me to be her bridesmaid. It was quite an honour. But there was one problem.

Baby Dylan recovering well after spending five days alone

For up to five days he lay alone after his mother died of a suspected drug overdose, but eight-month-old Dylan Micallef has made an incredible recovery.

The mystery of William Tyrell, little boy lost

The question remains: How does a little boy simply vanish without a trace?

Woman fights off robber, then gives birth

A thief in the US got more than he bargained for when he try to rob a woman who was nine months pregnant because he figured she would be an easy target.

Video: Two-year-old tells mum off for laughing at her

This little girl is not happy that her mum started laughing during her performance - so she tells her exactly how she feels about it.

Coping with a bolter

My 15-month-old has suddenly added a burst of real speed to her toddle. She should be classed a flight risk.

Single, 51 and pregnant

Tracey Kahn didn't realise she wanted to become a mother until she was well into her 40s. Now 51, she is pregnant with her second child.

An open letter to Tony Abbott: please salvage our super

We face financial ruin, but most of us don?t realise it. If we don?t act together to salvage our superannuation, I have no doubt the new GFC will be the Girls? Financial Crisis.

'I'm happy to know I'm changing lives': surrogate mum of two

I know that once the baby is born, I will focus on the gift I have given, and watch the parents with their new child. I can't wait for that day.

Birth trauma and the issue of informed consent

There is a perception that women should just be happy they have a healthy baby in their arms. But for women who experienced birth trauma, there's a lot more to it.

Tips for managing pollen allergies and hayfever

They're simple tips, but they can have a big impact on those who suffer from hayfever and pollen allergies.

Ada Nicodemou shares tribute to her stillborn baby

Just over one month since Ada Nicodemou and her husband lost their second son, the Home and Away star has shared a touching poem for her baby.

Mum causes stir breastfeeding on train

?To the woman breastfeeding her kid on the train. Seriously! On the train?" began the letter of complaint.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

The 'no children' wedding invite

"It's her wedding, so the day is all about her, not your baby." How major fall-out can occur over a simple wedding invitation.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.