WDYT is a resonable age for kids to buy their own shoes/clothes?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 MeHeNDa3

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

Just out of curiousity, as the topic title says, for those with the experience of older children and the opinion of those with younger children..WDYT is a reasonable age for kids to start buying or even putting money towards their own clothing costs?

My DS1 and DD are to a previous marriage, and just spent the last 5 days with xH. DD, 10, said they were in a shoe shop during that time looking for shoes as she needed some "special occasion" shoes, being her old ones were too small. DD chose a pair of sandals ($30) and was then told she had to spend her Christmas money to buy them. DD said she didn't realise she was buying them herself.

I wouldn't dream of asking my child to purchase her own shoes at 10, I guess I would rethink that if they were shoes she didn't actually need to replace a too small pair though. For example if she already had more than enough pairs and just "wanted" them. I just assumed clothing goes under the caring for umbrella of needs until she had the means, money wise, to buy her own.

#2 SlinkyMalinki

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

I think it's reasonable to start buying some of your own clothes - particularly if you want to spend more on a specific brand, once you're working.  

Even when I started working (15), my mum still paid for most of my clothes, though I was more likely to get them for birthdays/christmas.

#3 FluffyOscar

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

Given that your DD is below the age where she can legally work, her parents should be paying for her shoes. Especially since there are no coal mines in Australia that are looking for 10yos at the moment.

#4 girltribe4

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

I would think my nearly 13yr old should put some birthday/christmas /pocket money towards something if it was a ''want'' rather than a ''need'' but until she has a part time job I expect we will be paying for most things original.gif

#5 bluecardigans

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

Same as SlinkyMalinky

#6 ekbubby

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

My  girls are 13 and almost 20.

My 20 year old  has been buying most of her own clothes since she got a casual job in grade 10...however as the mum I still buy some clothes/shoes for her.

My 13 year old only buys her own when she does get Christmas and birthday money and it is something she really likes/wants.  Again as the mum I buy everything else clothes and shoes wise.

However I am almost 40 and my mum still buys me some clothes too...lol.

#7 ubermum

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

They buy their own when they have an income. I buy everything they need until they can afford it. If they have a want before they can afford it, they can have it as a birthday or Christmas gift, or use some of their gift money.

#8 CountryFeral

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

In our family when you started high school (12) you switched from getting weekly pocket money to a 'clothing allowance'.

At the start of each term Mum and Dad would put a lump sum in our bank account and we had to manage it ourselves.  

School uniforms weren't included - and sometimes I could wrangle some sneakers out of her too because they were 'for sport'.

You could buy what you wanted but the money had to cover all of your walking around expenses too (lollies, space invaders, hair gel, pizzas etc!)

It was a great way to learn how to budget (ask my sister who blew all hers on one pair of Corfu acid wash jeans in the first week of January one year!) and it meant that when Mum DID buy you something - I remember a rather glorious aqua outfit I wore to a school social in 1985 - you actually appreciated it as a kind and generous act.

I am also not a 'brand name' person to this day AND I learned to sew!

#9 Charri36

Don't worry my ex is the same. Will not buy the kids a thing when they are with him apart from food. ( they hardly see him now though)

The kids are now 16 and 18, it has been this way forever.

Nope, to young to have to buy her own, pretty typical of some tight wad parents to pull that one tho.

#10 Mumma3

I think it needs to be a phased in thing, with an încrease in pocket money to support it for kids too young to work.

My eldest DD is 16, and I pay for her reasonable clothing needs, ie I will spend up to $50 on a pair of jeans, but if she wants more expensive ones, she needs to pay the difference. If she is shopping with friends, and I know she needs some news tops etc, I'll give her some money for them. If she decides she just WANTS another pair of sparkly high heels or another dress for a party (because everyone has seen her other dress) then no, she pays for it! I pay for all school clothes, underwear etc but I did pay for her formal dress last year, because that was a special night and I wanted to - but we looked for a while to find something reasonably priced.

The great thing about this, is that now, she will go shopping and look at the price before she even tries something on and is always looking for a bargain.

At 10 years old, I would not expect any chîld to fund a pair of shoes, especially if the old ones were out grown. If it was me, I'd be reimbursing your DD.  I guess it depends on the relationship you have with exH if you want to talk to him about it.

#11 Expelliarmus

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

At 10, I would expect a parent to pay for necessary items such as replacing outgrown shoes.

Gift money is for buying 'what you want'. I would expect children to gradually begin buying clothes they want as they move into the teen years while still having basics and necessaries provided by parents with a gradual transition as they become independent.

During this time I would anticipate that some items would be subsidised by parents ie. "I will supply $50 towards your xyz and you need to provide the rest" so the child can then choose which they want based on how much they are willing to part with but the full burden is not on them.

#12 Soontobegran

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

I didn't  expect our kids to buy their clothes until they were working part time jobs and even then they only bought stuff that they really fancied and I didn't fancy paying the exorbitant prices.
I felt responsible to buy their necessary items, shoes, undies, school uniforms, sports uniforms and every day clothing until they were finished secondary college.

At age 10 I would not have had any expectation but would allow them to choose something with birthday or Christmas money if it was clothes that they wanted to spend it on.

#13 mumofsky

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

Im the same as others - I wouldn't ever expect DD (11) to buy her own clothes and shoes unless she wanted something really unnecessary and expensive. Christmas money, to me, seems like something special that she should spend on something she wants - it's kind of in lieu of a toy or whatever so it should be up to her. I think.

#14 LambChop

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

It's hard to say about the specifics since you're just saying one side of the story, who knows what conversation was had before the shop - I have 9 & 10 year olds, so while she might not have been lying, she may have missed out the 'full' story.

In general terms, in our society shoes are a Need and should be provided for by parents for the most part - unless like others said, if they are some junky 'want' shoe.

#15 -*meh*-

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

only if it is a want and not a need...

at that age if my kids want something that is something i would refuse to buy such as a particular design or brand then yes they could spend their money on it.

Otherwise shoes and clothes are my problem for many years to come.

#16 **Tiger*Feral**

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

----

Edited by Tyrone Finkelmeyer, 26 March 2013 - 08:21 PM.

#17 Justaduck

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

From 12 - 15 I was given about $200 a year to cover any clothing item except bras/socks/underwear. I can see issues with saying not til they get a job. What if the older child gets at job at 14, and younger sibling not til 16? Does that mean you keep buying younger kid clothes for 2 more years?

Certainly wouldn't be forcing DD to buy shoes at 10

#18 gina70

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

When they have a part time job.  My  dd bought a pair of high heels with her pay recently.  She also buys the majority of her clothes too.  She is 15.

#19 MeHeNDa3

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:18 PM

Thank you for your opinions original.gif

It's true, I wasn't there and obviously don't have the whole story. I just wouldn't expect DD to buy needed shoes out of her Christmas money.

I was already sensitive regarding exH after he blew me up at my doorstep this morning because DS1 took his mobile to his place. DS and DD both text me once or twice while they weren't here and that is unacceptable to their father, I am not to contact them or be contacted by them. I had also called exMIL recently about her telling DD she is getting solid. DD was upset as her father laughed and some other relatives where saying exMIL meant she is fat. I asked ex to stick up for his daughter and say something which he refused, so I rang her and calmly asked she not mention weight to DD as it upset her. Again, unacceptable to ex, I am to discuss the kids with him only. Put that with DS having to get up during the night to sneak some medication for his migraine as he was not allowed any, and that ex keeps telling the kids they wear glasses to be cool not because they need them..the shoes just tipped me over the WTF are you thinking edge!

I guess that highlights that no, I can't speak to him about it. We have been divorced for 8 years, and he is still a jealous, bitter man. I'm only allowed to speak to him via a stupid book.

Ugh, way to railroad my own post lol. Thank you again for the opinions!

#20 la di dah

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:32 PM

If I said "we're buying you eighty dollar sneakers" [or whatever] and the 10 year old said no I need 150 dollar ones, I might say well are you paying the difference? If I thought the "basic" ones were just as good and it was an issue of coolness/licensing/designer brands/whatever making the cost difference.

But I wouldn't expect them to buy regular clothes/shoes with their Christmas money. At least they wouldn't HAVE to if they were willing to have basic, pleasant ones.

#21 -Emissary-

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

It depends.

If it's a "need" item - I would buy it until they are old enough to work and earn an income. Items such as school clothing, essential winter clothes, summer clothes, undies, socks etc.

If it's a "want" item - shoes so they can go out, dresses so they can go to a party etc then it can come out of their pocket/Christmas present money.

#22 Therese

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

I think that when my children are 10 I should be buying clothes and shoes. If they are super expensive ones there would be discussion about it wink.gif

#23 SeaPrincess

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

When they start earning their own money or if it is their own decision to buy clothes with gift money.

Having said that, as pp's have alluded to, if I'm paying, I may refuse to buy items that are unnecessary or unnecessarily expensive.

#24 FiveAus

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

My kids started buying their own clothes when they got part time jobs, but I still bought underwear, pyjamas, socks, school clothes and basic things like plain T-shirts, sweatshirts etc. And if I saw something I thought they'd like and it was on special, I'd buy it.

#25 mum201

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

15 when they can work, I would expect them to pay for most of their own 'wants'... Although at 13 I would expect them to chip in some birthday / Xmas money if they wanted super expensive sneakers. But at 10 for a pair of sandals she needed, that's just harsh

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

Tales from the homefront

When you're at work you sort of assume that your house is basically just sitting there quietly doing nothing until you return. However, since spending my days at home, I've learned this couldn't be further from the truth.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Babies may benefit from autism therapy

Children showing signs of autism don't usually receive early intervention until well into toddlerhood or later, but a new study suggests infants with symptoms of the developmental disorder might benefit from therapy from as early as six months.

Knatalye and Adeline born with an everlasting bond

Knatalye Hope and Adeline Faith are a lot like any other identical twin girls, but there is one dramatic difference: they're joined at the chest and shares several internal organs.

The question this dad wishes he'd asked his wife

I should have seen that my wife wasn't the same person I'd fallen in love with, but we were both too focused on simply trying to get by.

Why we should talk about the deaths of the Hunt children

The deaths are too horrible even to think about. Yet we owe it to the children - Fletcher, Mia and Phoebe Hunt - to think long and hard about it all.

Baby dies of meningococcal weeks after vaccine application denied

A six-month-old girl has died from meningococcal disease just weeks after an application for government funding of a vaccine for the most deadly strain of the virus was rejected.

Finding the right balance when playing with your kids

Being too involved in our children?s play and not allowing our kids enough free time for unstructured activities can mean our kids miss out on the value that play offers.

Creative DIY light shades

The Pop Light light shade comes in a flat pack already made - it's up to you to design it as you'd like.

The battle of iParenting versus imagination

Have we forgotten how to be imaginative, resourceful parents?

Why movement is so important for your baby's growth

Letting your child move as much as possible in the early years ? using all senses, engaging in the real world, preferably outside ? will help them grow up healthier, smarter, calmer and stronger.

Video: Toddler not keen on clean-shaven dad

This little girl thought she was taking part in a standard game of peek-a-boo, but her dad had a surprise for her.

When will I feel like myself again?

At some point I became 'me' again, but not the same me that I was ... and that?s not a bad thing.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Win a House of Magic prize pack

To celebrate the release of the new movie House of Magic, we have 10 double passes and magic sets to give away just in time for these school holidays. Enter Now for a chance to win!

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

Couple's bucket list for unborn baby

Jenna and Dan Haley know their baby's time will be limited, so they're packing in a lifetime of memories before he's even born.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.