TT some questions

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cb2

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

What toilet seat do you recommend?
Did you have your LO wear pull ups all the time when toilet training or training material pants?
What age did you start your child?
How long did they take to be day toilet trained?
How long to be fully toilet trained?
Any tips/advice/ etc
am about to start the TT journey and sooooo looking forward to when will be nappy free!!

Thanks for your help

#2 Fossy

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

What toilet seat do you recommend?
We didn't use one, just straight onto the toilet, we figured that would be easier in the long run.
Did you have your LO wear pull ups all the time when toilet training or training material pants?
No, just undies.
2 years 4 months.
1 day
We put DD in nappies at night, at 2 years 8 months she asked for undies, we have had no night accidents.

Any tips/advice/ etc

If you wait until they are ready it should be fairly easy with minimal accidents. If its taking a long time dont be afraid to conceed theyre not ready and go back to nappies for a while.
We had a few accidents in the car, buy a piddle pad or similar to protect
your car seat.
Whenever you go out mentally note where the closest toilet is!

Good luck, I was terrified of TT after reading horror stories on here, but looking back it was clear those children just weren't ready.  All the best!!

#3 cb2

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

Thanks for your reply Fossy
1 day for your DD to be toilet trained that is fantastic!! Good on her and you!
I hope to have the same luck you had original.gif

#4 Fossy

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

I wasn't going to even try, but she was asking for undies and the toilet so we gave it a shot. She goes to daycare 2 days so obviously saw other kids using the toilet which helped!!

#5 SeaPrincess

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

What toilet seat do you recommend? I used a potty first, then an insert for the toilet. I sent away Huggies barcodes and got a Disney Princess seat and step for DD.

Did you have your LO wear pull ups all the time when toilet training or training material pants? I used training pants. Big W have good ones that don't let too much through (Dymples brand, about $10 for 3). In the early stages though I used nappies while we were out - I pretty much used nappies or undies so there was no confusion about pull-ups.

DS1 started at 17 months after he went in the potty every night. He asked for the potty at 18months, was day trained at 20 months and night trained just after 4.
DS2 started at 21 months after he demanded the potty to do a poo. I figured that if he was going to use it for poo, he might as well use it all the time.  He was day trained by 2, night trained just after 4.
DD was 17 months when I decided to TT her so that we wouldn't be doing it in the winter. She was day trained at home at 19-20 months, but only stopped having accidents at daycare at about 2y5m - the toilet wasn't actually in the toddler room and I didn't feel that they were onboard at all.  She is almost 3.5 and is fully trained now.

Any tips/advice/ etc
Take it easy. Expect a few accidents. Have a sticker chart because even if it doesn't help them, if you have a bad day, all the good days can keep you going!

#6 IsolaBella

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:25 PM

Insert in toilet. No potty.

TT the boys at 3.25 yrs.

Days 1-2 wee everywhere. Day3-4 worked out they needed to go but some accidents while trying to get their pants down. Day 5 dry. No night training needed as nappies had been dry overnight since 18 m of age.

No reminding them or telling them to go. They say that they need to do wee.

DS2 though refused to poo in the toilet for another 6m so we had 6m of poo in undies.

DD did poo in toilet at 24m. This continued for 6wks when she went toilet resistant. (Did not plan on TT her as such.... We were swimming and I caught poo face and quickly put her on toilet. Then for 6wks she told me poo was coming).

Then totally resistant to idea of TT. At2.75 yrs TT her. Took 5days like the boys. Only problem is she has weeks / days where she is TT resistant and refuses toilet. She has just turned 3.

We used Terry toilet training pants for the first 5days.

#7 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

What toilet seat do you recommend? we used a seat like this with a step/stool like this (but we just have no-name ones).  The stool still gets used by our 4yo, although we stopped using the seat ages ago.  The seat was good to throw in the car when we went away, visiting, camping etc.  We ditched using kiddie toilet seats as soon as we could (ie. kids weren't scared of falling into toilet and had figured out how to sit properly).

This traveller-folding toilet seat was great when we were out and about, for use on public toilet seats.  Folds up, so easy to put into larger handbags etc.

Did you have your LO wear pull ups all the time when toilet training or training material pants? Put both kids into little regular knickers.  At night, they still wore nappies, but once they woke up, it was just knickers.  Never used pull-ups.

What age did you start your child?  DD1 was about 2y9m.  DD2 was about 2y3m.  We did it when they were keen to ditch the nappies, they were having longer dry periods in nappies and seemed to be ready.

DD1 - maybe 4-5 weeks .  Then for the next 2-3 months, she might have had an accident every fortnight or so maybe??
DD2 - 2-3 weeks max.  She figured it out very quickly (from watching her big sister I think).  A month later, she wanted to stop wearing nappies at night and she was nappy-free by about 2.5yo.  Surprised DH and I, we never expected that.  She's had only a handful of accidents since there (turns 4 this month).

How long to be fully toilet trained?  DD1 was day trained by about 3yo.  But in terms of being fully TT (day and night), it took longer.  She started "night TT" just after she turned 4.  She was probably 4y3m when she was fully TT, day and night
For DD2, see above.

It really depends on the child I think.

Any tips/advice/ etc
It is much easier to do it during summer, simply because the kids don't have layers of clothing to remove.  And also when night TT, it generally means no blankets/doonas to worry about.  DD1 TTed in summer, but DD2 wanted to ditch the nappies in May/June - it was not particularly fabulous for me, but she was really keen, so we went with it.

DD1 was totally into bribes.  1 smartie for a wee, 2 smarties for a poo.  After a week or so, we stopped mentioning it, although we would give the reward if she remembered.  She forgot after about 2-3 days.  biggrin.gif  Never used any bribes/rewards with DD2.  She was happy with claps.

We also used knickers during the day sleeps as well.  That worked for us, as the kids were not confused about knickers or nappies during the day.

Looking back now, it seems like it was pretty easy.  but I remember a few times during it when I thought I had the lost the plot.  It helps if you have some idea of when your child normally does a wee/poo during the day.

Once you commit to starting the TT, I would recommend planning it around a few days at home when you do not have to go out.  Just to start it off.

Edited by YodaTheWrinkledOne, 06 January 2013 - 11:44 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

Toddler freed after getting trapped in escalator

A shopping centre escalator needed to be pulled apart to free a toddler's trapped hand.

Why I'm kind of excited about my daughter's nits

Is it weird to say that I am secretly thrilled to find that my daughter Edie has nits?

Baby born at 10:11 on 12-13-14

Well, it's actually 13-12-14 to us over here. But still, Clare Elizabeth Keane's consecutive numerical birth time is pretty special.

On holding tightly and loving fiercely

We can't live in fear. This post is about Christmas and how at this time we should be celebrating life and grateful for what we have: our loved ones who we cherish fiercely.

Babies, relatives and coping with Christmas day

Everyone will love your baby but your baby may not be so happy to be passed around a lot of new people - nor may you want to feed with an audience.

Why I won't be posting pictures of my baby on Facebook

There are pros and cons to this policy.

The myths and truths of gender swaying

Here are a few popular methods hopeful parents-to-be use to try to get a baby of their preferred gender – and what an expert says about whether they really work.

10 easy DIY Christmas decoration ideas

It's officially time to get into the Christmas spirit. Why not branch out when you put up your tree this year and add a personal touch with a few DIY decorations? We've found the perfect easy-to-make ways to put more festive fever into your home.

The dangerous new trend of glucose challenge test refusal

A dangerous trend is seeing more mothers-to-be declining a relatively simple and painless test to check for gestational diabetes.

Office of Fair Trading reveals naughty toys ahead of Christmas

The Office of Fair Trading has pulled seven toys from shelves ahead of Christmas after they fail safety tests.

Video: Baby boy's trouble with twins

These twin girls will no doubt have fun fooling people in years to come, but nobody will be as confused as baby Landon.

Long-term reversible male contraceptive on its way

Men could soon have access to an injectable long-term contraceptive which works in a similar way to a vasectomy but promises to be easily reversed.

'I tried to kill my baby': one mum's story

After bathing and dressing her three-month-old son, Amanda had a rare moment alone with her baby.

Attack of the 'mummy brain'

I feel that almost every day, someone in my life - be they a friend, family member or complete stranger - feels the need to excuse my behaviour as I have other things on my mind.

Mum of baby who fell ill after drinking raw milk speaks out

A Melbourne mother has described how her son turned grey when he became seriously ill after drinking raw milk.

Australian divorce rate lowest since 1976

Modern newlyweds are now well into their 30s and marriage still offers something powerful a new book argues.

The aftermath of a traumatic birth experience

In Australia, 30 per cent of women find their birth experience traumatic, with 6 per cent going on to develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Young mum burns 'from inside-out'

A young mum is in intensive care after she took a friend's antibiotic and wound up with an ailment that is burning her body 'from the inside-out'.

The disagreement that can break a relationship

If he doesn't change his mind, all I can hope is that I will. It would be a waste to spend the rest of my marriage mourning a baby that never was.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Co-sleeping or no-sleeping? Mum videos worst nap ever

One mother's futile attempt to sleep in caught on camera in a hilarious - and very cute - video.

Why children misbehave during the festive season

While we all like to imagine the holiday season as being a fun, loving and bonding experience; often our reality is quiet different.

I was fat-shamed by my doctor

The fear of being weighed is the most significant factor in women cancelling medical appointments - and now weight-shaming has happened to me.

End of an era: no more childcare

As we reach the end of 2014, we're closing the book on many things for another year, most notably childcare. Our last child has attended childcare for the very last time.

WIN an exclusive performance from Sam Moran!

To celebrate the release of children?s musical series Play Along with Sam, out now on DVD, we?re giving one lucky parent the chance to have Sam perform at their child?s pre-school or day care!

The 7-year itch is more like the 10-year itch: study

Contrary to popular belief, making it past the seven-year mark doesn't mean your marriage will be smooth sailing from there on.

Should children be forced to sit on Santa's lap?

We teach kids it’s okay to say no if they don’t feel safe, so why do some parents force their children to climb in to Santa's lap?

Stop telling us that parenting gets harder

I’m sure that parenting will get harder. But life isn’t exactly smooth sailing for many of us right now, either.

Baby born weighing almost 14 pounds

Yes, the bouncing baby girl was born by caesarean section. And mum says no more kids.

The dummy debate

I'm the first to admit that when I used to see tiny babies with dummies in their mouths, I thought "Hmm, lazy parenting." And now I apologise.

'I thought I was an only child'

Imagine meeting your double at a school sports event, or regularly being mistaken for someone you haven't met. Separated twins Margaret and Joy tell their story.

Carers admit to force-feeding children

As Sydney grieves the loss of Sydney siege victims Katrina Dawson and Tori Johnson, reports have suggested that both died as heroes.

How many weeks til Christmas?

On your To-Do list

Get the "Santa" shopping done without the kids in tow.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.