Daytime nap routine for 9 week old

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Wacky Wobbler

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

I have a 9wk old who doesn't sleep during the day unless he is on my chest or sometimes in the swing. I don't really have a routine for him, so not really sure how long he should be awake and so on.

What is your daytime nap routine? How long should they stay awake after a feed. Do you have them take a nap where they sleep at night.

Thanks

#2 mandala

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

Honestly, before 4 months, do whatever you need to do, whether that be naps in a carrier/sling/swing, or on you. The thing you want to do is avoid overtiredness and survive. You can't spoil a baby that age, and you can't develop sleep associations until around 4 months, so don't worry about doing it forever.

At nine weeks, I think the maximum awake time should be an hour - and that's after at least two sleep cycles. At 13 weeks, DS would still often only be awake for 45 mins before showing tired signs and going down for a sleep. That was barely enough time for a feed and a nappy change, with maybe a little cuddle.

DS was an appalling sleeper at that age, so I can't give you a routine that worked for us. But if I could go back in time, my daytime routine would be:
DS wakes
BF on one side, trying to keep him awake and sucking well the whole time
Nappy change to make sure he's awake
BF other side
Nappy change if dirty
Cuddle, a few minutes of tummy time, maybe some smiles
60 mins since waking or first tired sign, whichever comes first, wrap and put down in the cot/bassinet
Settle as necessary if he woke less than two hours since the last feed, but I wouldn't push it

Looking back at photos of DS before we went to sleep school, I am appalled at how exhausted he looked all the time. I still feel bad for letting him get into such a state sad.gif I thought he was such an alert baby he didn't need much sleep - but he was so wired he couldn't relax. Turns out he needed a little more sleep than average! I was really bad at reading his cues, so more of a routine helped us. This has some really good suggestions on infant cues - http://www.qec.org.au/assets/pdf/clients/3...INFANT-CUES.pdf.

I suggest you try to move towards long term sleep habits - so recognising tired signs, putting baby down to sleep in their cot drowsy but awake, doing the minimum of settling - but there will be plenty of times where it doesn't work and that's okay and normal.

Good luck. It's hard, but it does get better. original.gif

#3 PurpleNess

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

Don't worry about a routine at this age, seriously you have plenty of time to do that.
Firstly try and learn your babies tired cues, they can get sort of jerky, distracted etc.
Enjoy the cuddles and use any methods possible to get bub to sleep, my son used to always nap after a feed, he was on 3 hrly feeds at this age, most as would be an hr or so.

Don't worry about feeding to sleep at this age, sleep associations are not an issue until 6 months or so. Trust your gut, feed, rock, cuddle to sleep & then try transferring to a bassinet over the coming weeks, but don't force it, bub is still very very young & just want to be with you :-)

#4 Wacky Wobbler

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

I too used to think he was a very alert baby and didn't need much sleep but I'm starting to think I'm wrong. He sleeps very well overnight and is easy to put down but day naps are a whole different story. He has currently been asleep for 2 hours in the swing but this is the first time in 3 days he has slept that long during the day.

My biggest issue is I don't know his tired signs. He is such a happy baby until you put him down. Will hk out he link for tired signs.

Thanks

#5 mandala

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

For some reason, I found it much easier to spot the tired signs if I popped him down on his playmat, or looked at him in the mirror. I think that when I was holding him he was too close and I couldn't see the whole picture.

One thing that really confused me was that he nuzzled into me when he was tired. I thought it meant he was hungry and would feed him, but he was actually trying to rub his eyes against my chest. Once we had a loose routine in place I found it easier to tell the difference between hungry and tired nuzzling, because if I'd just fed him, chances were he was tired! Later it because clear that his hungry nuzzling involved pecking like a chicken, but the tired nuzzling was more rubbing his face against whatever part of me was closest.

#6 Jenferal

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

I hardly saw any tired signs for my daughter till about 4 months or so. No red eyes, no yawning, she wasn't ever cranky or crotchety. It was really difficult to get her to sleep as well so I feel your pain.
I had the paed tell me at her 6 week check up to just wrap her up and put her in the cot. Even then I knew that wouldn't work! Rocking was the only way to get her to sleep, or the Hug a Bub.

#7 MKTWINS

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

I stuck to routine from day dot. Day sleeps are always a little hit and miss esp as they get older and take in the world a little more. But routine works for me and my 16 week old.

My opinion is they shouldn't be awake more than 1 hr to an hour an a half during the day. Tired signs could be rubbing eyes, jerking erradic movements or in my case a screaming baby.

Work out what works for you and baby then stick to it x

Good luck!

#8 NicolinaO

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

my 3month old is having the same problem. he seems to have gotten worse over the last week too. He was never a good day sleeper and an average night sleeper (our maximum sleep-length record is 6 hours). He catnaps while breastfeeding and I am having a constant battle with my own head if I let him or not, put him down when he is asleep on my or not... trying to weigh him getting some rest against me getting any rest whatsoever..
he is looking very tired after a week and some of this. sad.gif
I had him on a decent routine from the very start but it seems to get thrown out the window every week or two as he changes. it is very frustrating to feel you just got that routine you been working for to work.. and then they decide to change on you haha *sigh*

#9 Missmarymack

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

My 12 week old is often awake for 2 hr periods during the day. She tends to do 3x 45min sleeps plus one longer sleep each day. She does the 45 min sleeps in her cot (sometimes my arms) and starts the longer sleep in her bed before I have to hold her for the rest of it. I'm not worried about her sleep at all as she is a very happy and very alert baby. Plus she sleeps 11 hrs straight overnight (I'm sure I've just jinxed myself) which I figure would be more broken if she was overtired.
I settle her by feeding or rocking. Once or twice she's put herself to sleep when I've had to put her down (swaddled) to deal with my toddler, but to be honest I haven't really tried to get her to self settle yet. I really do just go with the flow and wrap her when she is obviously tired. I spent too long trying to settle my first when I thought I saw tired signs and it would take me 45 mins to get her to sleep, to then have her wake only 45mins later - not fun!!

ETS - I do use this as a rough guide for awake times though however I found my first was always on the lower end of the suggested sleep times and higher end of the awake times. I suspect DD2 will be similar

http://www.ngala.com.au/files/files/125_Se...od_Sleepers.pdf

Edited by Missmarymack, 29 January 2013 - 06:49 PM.

#10 Lokum

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:06 PM

My 10 week old does not give tired signs until it's too late. I have to clock watch and get him down BEFORE he looks tired.

I know I've missed the mark with him when he's impossible to get to sleep.

I know I've caught him in time if he falls asleep easily, as he's relaxed and calm and not wired.

First feed is 5am, and he falls asleep at the boob - straight back to bed, no nappy change. Stays asleep until 9am (actually, 5-9am is still part of 'night time' for him.)

9am wake up, nappy, two minute chat to him, then feed, dress him, feed other side, short play with his big brother. By now we're at 50 or 60 minute mark, and he MUST be wrapped and held upright against my shoulder with no talking, and should drop off within 5-10 minutes and sleep for around 2 hours. During this 5-10 mins, he will nuzzle my shoulder and lick me, and drool a lot, but it's tired not hungry.

If we get to 70 or 80 minutes awake time - the whole day is stuffed. He will wriggle, scream, fight sleep, fight me, and when I eventually get him to sleep, it will be for 20-45 mins max. It's downhill from there.

Approx 11:30am wakeup - repeat above, but can maybe stretch to 60-70 minutes.

As the day goes on, it naturally gets harder to put him to sleep, and his sleeps get shorter. By 5pm on a good day, he might only sleep 40 mins, and between 7-9pm it's constant feeding and dozing until he drops off for the night.

I learned with crap day sleeps with DS1 that sometimes it's better to clock-watch than wait for tired signs. It's not a 'routine' as such, like baby must sleep from 9;45-11:37 and then do XYZ - it's more about how much your baby can realistically cope with at this young age.

GL

#11 Feralishous

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

when they are this you, I tend to go with the flow. if mine were up about 90 mins-2hrs Id try to feed to sleep, and see if theyd drift off

#12 CLT

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

Also take in considersation of Wonder Weeks too. My 12w DS is a catnapper too unless he sleeps on me... I just wear him and refused to watch the clock but look for tired signs if possible. I learnt  my lesson with DD who was a shocking at naps... I held her during naps for 8 months! Clock watching and stressing myself out...etc so now I just go with the flow and babywear...

#13 Lokum

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

QUOTE (CLT @ 31/01/2013, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also take in considersation of Wonder Weeks too. My 12w DS is a catnapper too unless he sleeps on me... I just wear him and refused to watch the clock but look for tired signs if possible. I learnt  my lesson with DD who was a shocking at naps... I held her during naps for 8 months! Clock watching and stressing myself out...etc so now I just go with the flow and babywear...

I have been willing to wear DS2, and feed to sleep. He won't feed to sleep. Actually, he will drift off, but as soon as I move a muscle he wakes, so it's not great for him or me.

I wear him when he's out of control cranky and overtired, so that I'm comforting him but can also attend to his big brother. When he's totally exhausted he will eventually conk out in the hugabub for 30 mins or so, not longer. He won't fall asleep in it unless he's way past tired. Will grizzle in it for 2 hours+ until we get to that point.

Just saying. Baby wearing and going with the flow and feeding to sleep and cosleeping.... all worked with DS1, and don't with DS2. They won't work with every Mum or every baby. For me and DS2, making sure I catch him in time (going by the clock, not his tired signs) is more successful.

#14 SpaghettiMonster

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:53 PM

DD is 10 weeks. Wakes 8am, feed, play then down for first nap at 10 ish in her cot, usually feed her to sleep or sometimes she gets transferred to the cot after falling asleep on my shoulder. Naps for about an hour in the cot then all other short naps are taken on our shoulders at varying times during the day. Helps to have iPad or foxtel handy during nap times! The only other scheduled nap she takes apart from the 10am one is at about 4pm whereby either myself or DH will deliberately set aside 90 mins somewhere quiet and ensure she gets a solid long block of sleep on our shoulder. Without this she becomes over tired and will not go down easily at 8 pm for a sleep through.

Her schedule is feed, play, sleep in 1.5 hour cycles. She gets grumpy if she is awake any longer than 1.5 hours. I read that this is typical at this age.

Edited by Half Baked, 01 February 2013 - 12:55 PM.

#15 Lalalacey

Posted 12 February 2013 - 08:09 AM

I have a  8 week old, I did have a loose routine in place and it worked for about a week it was 1.5 hrs awake 1.5 asleep (if she sleeps longer I don't wake her) starting at 7 am and then at around 5 it was a 40 min catnap before a feed and bath then a top up and bed, and a dreamfeed between 10 and 11 but that was ruined by a wonderweek and we're back to very little sleep during the day. I can settle her in her bed  but she will only sleep 10-20 minutes.  but I keep trying to follow this routine as it works for her!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

Misery loves Facebook

Facebook users are often criticised for only showing the positive, fun parts of their lives. But what about when it swings the other way, when someone uses it for the purposes of ranting about their children all the time, never posting anything positive?

Toddler's adorable impersonation of pregnant mum

Little Ellis has noticed his mum is walking differently lately, and his impersonation of her is hilarious.

'Forgotten baby syndrome' can happen to any one of us

When my third child was two months old, I strapped her into her car seat, then promptly forgot all about her. But she survived, unharmed, because it was winter, and I was lucky.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

Ten things I've learned about motherhood

Never take a good night's sleep for granted. There is no logic like toddler logic. Standing on Lego hurts every time. These are the truths of parenthood.

Parenting past the toddler years: what's next?

Your baby has grown into a toddler, and now your toddler is fast approaching the preschooler stage. What can you expect as a parent?

Tips on what to pack in your hospital bag

Before giving birth I read countless lists, ended up overpacking just a little, and now know what I'll actually want to pack next time.

New app keeps tabs on your kids at childcare

Popular new technology lets parents know what their children are up to at childcare - but not everyone is a fan.

21 things I love about newborns

There?s an irresistible magic about newborns. Of course they're not all smiles and rainbows, but they are undeniably cute and remarkable in so, so many ways.

Kid-friendly hairdressers: who says haircuts can?t be fun?

I?ve found some salons who boast setups ideal for children ? you name it, they?ve thought of it. All are designed to make haircuts fun rather than stressful.

Labour pain relief may reduce risk of postnatal depression: study

Postnatal depression is a complex condition, but researchers say pain relief during labour may help some women.

Why we need better support for men after miscarriage

In a recent study, 85 per cent of men admitted feeling sadness after their partner miscarried, but almost half said they didn't share their feelings at all. What can be done to help them?

Mum in business: Kristy Chong

Kristy Chong is the managing director of Australian-made Modibodi underwear and a mum to Lucas, 6, Jason, 4, and Isaac, 6 months. She shares her advice for other mums thinking about starting their own businesses.

From toddler to preschooler: a developmental roadmap

So your toddler is growing up and will soon be entering the preschooler years. Here are a few ways to frame their development that will help you understand what?s going in those beautiful, funny, clever little heads of theirs.

Mum sacrifices an eye for her unborn baby

Motherhood is full of sacrifices, but this woman has made a life-altering one - and her baby hasn't even been born.

A grandparent by any other name

A growing number of grandparents are shunning tradition and going against conventional names - but a grandparent by any other name still gives the same awesome cuddles and kisses.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

When labour just doesn't happen

After three healthy kids, I can?t help feeling I?ve been a little ripped off. I missed out on something I had always wanted to experience, and now I?ll never get the chance.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

Be careful what you say, your baby is listening

The importance of speaking to your baby even if they are not old enough to answer back has been highlighted by new research.

Win $1000 with Sea-Bands!

Three lucky fans can win a Sea-Band prize pack valued at over $1000 each, which includes two Sea-Bands plus a $1000 Eftpos gift card!

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Join the Real Mums Test Drive Team

Five mums or mums-to-be will join the EB Test Drive Team and discover great items at an exclusive Big W event. (Sydney only.)

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.