pets on tramadol
is there a cheaper way to buy it.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 3kidsvclose

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

My 12 year old chihuahua has problems with his back legs which is suspected arthritis, after seeing the vet she gave me 7 tablets of tramadol 20mg to last one week at a cost of $40.00. His walking has now improved but I am just wondering if there is a cheaper way to get the tramadol as opposed to nearly $6 a tablet.
Many thanks.

#2 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

You do realise that Tramadol is a restricted drug and isn't available over the counter of a chemist, and therefore can't be obtained online (legally) in Australia?

#3 FiveAus

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:49 AM

Ask your vet to write a prescription so you can get it through a pharmacy.

#4 CountryFeral

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

That doesn't sound so expensive to me?

I had to take Tramadol the other year and I think I paid about that at human prices?

#5 Kafkaesque

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE (*Spikey* @ 06/01/2013, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You do realise that Tramadol is a restricted drug and isn't available over the counter of a chemist, and therefore can't be obtained online (legally) in Australia?

Your replies to threads lately are really prickly.

OP I doubt very much that you could get tramadol cheaper legally or illegally. $6 a day would be pretty steep for many people when it will be an ongoing issue so I understand why you asked.

#6 FiveAus

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:04 PM

QUOTE (countrymel @ 06/01/2013, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That doesn't sound so expensive to me?

I had to take Tramadol the other year and I think I paid about that at human prices?

But I doubt you are the size of a Chihuahua  wink.gif . For such a tiny dog, the price should be a fair bit cheaper than an adult human dose.

#7 FiveAus

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

QUOTE (*Spikey* @ 06/01/2013, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did the OP ask if it could be obtained online? She just asked if anyone knew how to get it cheaper. If she had a prescription she could get it from an online pharmacy.

#8 tenar

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE (FiveAus @ 06/01/2013, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But I doubt you are the size of a Chihuahua  wink.gif . For such a tiny dog, the price should be a fair bit cheaper than an adult human dose.

Pet medicine is usually more expensive because it's not subsidised by the government.  

OP we've had tramadol for a small dog and it was expensive, but I don't remember it being quite $6/day.  Maybe talk to your vet about whether you can buy it in larger quantities at a time, or ring around different vets to see what they sell it for.

Good luck and I hope your dog is OK soon.

#9 3kidsvclose

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

Thank you for your replies - I will chat to the vet and see what she says. I have also heard great things about metacam for arthritis in dogs - what is your experience of it

#10 CountryFeral

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE (FiveAus @ 06/01/2013, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are right!

I just went and found the box - 200mg, twenty tablets, $34.95 (No HCC)

They are tiny though so couldn't be broken into 10!

And PP is right human medication is subsidised by the PBS so even if OP can get a prescription from the Vet she won't get them that cheaply.  

I also don't think the prescription price is based on the amount of active ingredients per tablet so 20x 20mg probably wouldn't cost any different to 20x 200mg

#11 rainycat

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

My beautiful 60kg boy was on tramadol and a whole lot of other things for athritis and it cost us a fortune.
We also had him on sashas blend, glucosamine and anti inflams which all helped him enormously.
I couldnt find anywhere cheaper than my vet but I'm pretty sure it wasn't $6 a tablet.

#12 FiveAus

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

Even if its not subsidised, by getting a prescription you will at least have access to more competitive prices, as well as generic brands of the drug.
I have heard good things about Sashas Blend and glucosamine too.

Edited by FiveAus, 06 January 2013 - 12:41 PM.

#13 Katie_bella

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

Vets charge a fortune for meds because they are not subsidised by the pbs. You can get tramadol from a pharmacy (online or otherwise) but i've never seen it in 20mg tablets for humans (50mgs is usually the smallest dose) and you would need a script made out for a human, which your vet isn't authorised to write.

I would talk to your vet, or even ring around other vets in your area and see what they charge. Your vet should be able to either supply it cheaper in bulk quantities or change your dogs meds to something you can afford long term.

#14 Feral*Spikey*

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE (Kafkaesque @ 06/01/2013, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your replies to threads lately are really prickly.

OP I doubt very much that you could get tramadol cheaper legally or illegally. $6 a day would be pretty steep for many people when it will be an ongoing issue so I understand why you asked.

Probably because I'm stuck at home (and have been for the better part of two weeks) with a DD who has chicken pox, and won't leave me alone for even a second.

I don't intend to be prickly, but I guess I'm beginning to come across that way. Consider it cabin fever and cut me some slack please. DD is currently speaking in one ear while I'm typing. I cannot so much as take a pee without her standing outside of the toilet quizzing me about what I'm doing, and asking six million unnecessary questions, and not to mention the bit where I cannot have a shower (a mere 15 minutes) without being interrupted several times. And we won't go into the bit where I was attempting to concentrate on walking on the treadmill and had to tell her to go and play elsewhere. And she's 7yo, so this is not a baby we're talking about.

My 'holiday' has sucked big time, I'm exhausted because she won't let me sleep either, and haven't achieved anything that I wanted to do.

I will thank you however for pointing it out. Sometimes I need to be told, and I'll try for a better tone in other posts. sad.gif

#15 rainycat

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

Fwiw, Spikey i didn't find your reply 'prickly'.

I think you always come across as a very patient and knowledgeable poster and always look forward to reading your advice.

I hope the nightmare ends soon.

#16 Feral Nicety

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

It's not legal to have a prescription written for a dog filled at a pharmacy if you are looking to get the med on the PBS.  If you have a vet's prescription, you're still going to be paying the unsubsidised price and that will be similar to the vet's pricing.

#17 runnybabbit

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

QUOTE (Katie_bella @ 06/01/2013, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
you would need a script made out for a human, which your vet isn't authorised to write.

I've written scripts for animals and human chemists have filled them. original.gif If you get a script then a place like Chemist Warehouse might be cheaper if what your vet is giving you is a human drug after all.

I'm pretty sure the human formulations only go down to 50 mg, but I might be wrong. I'm currently a SAHM so I haven't dealt with chemists as a vet for a few months now, but the veterinary formulations my clinic used to order in were 20 mg. Anything that needed something smaller we had compounded in capsules or flavoured drops, and the compounded drugs were super expensive. And even then, cats absolutely hated it (liver flavoured tramadol, mm mm!).

But the other thing is that I believe it's the AVA's policy (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that vets should be using veterinary formulations rather than human formulations where the former is available. I'm not too sure of their rationale for this. Vets were prescribing Prozac for pets long before Pfizer released the official veterinary fluoxetine formulation.

Most vets and clinics will write a script instead of dispensing the drug when asked, so you might just have to ask. original.gif

#18 censura carnero

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

I'm taking tramadol for back pain. 20 tablets at 100mg was $15.95.

#19 Jellyblush

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

Have you thought about calling a compounding pharmacy?

I ask because my dog was on reconcile at a cost of $119.95 through the vet, and when I got the compounding pharmacy to make it up for me as I couldn't get into the vet, it turned out to be $49.95. Win! In a clear container without any of the branding etc, but the exact same drug. They could also make up any dose. If you're in Melbourne Slade has a big compounding pharmacy in Docklands and will send the drug to you.

This requires a prescription obviously.

#20 shelly1

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

Can you try a different vet? I went to one vet that charged me $25 for a tube of cream. We changed vets and our new vet only charges $8.50 for exactly the same stuff

#21 FiveAus

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

There's no reason a vet can't write a prescription to be filled at a pharmacy, a prescription is only an "order to supply" and if the vet is qualified to advise the drug and give it to the patient, he can order it to be supplied by a third party.

My other suggestion was going to be to shop around for a cheaper vet. I have recently been "vet-shopping" as I need to have one female dog desexed and another ones hips and elbows x-rayed so I can breed her later this year. The price variations are phenomenal.......it's not just $10-$50, it's hundreds of dollars difference. I was gobsmacked by the difference, because these are vets in a large country town who provide a very similar service (small animal care), and would have very similar overheads (rent etc) and a very similar clientele base.

#22 Feral Nicety

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

Good god, you mean there is actually a script a bloody compounding pharmacist will do cheaply?  wink.gif

I totally endorse the shopping around.  We've just had a seriously ill cat bouncing around vets due to the holidays and the difference in cost between procedures has been painful.  Even with the public holiday rates, it has been oh jesus how MUCH difference?

#23 runnybabbit

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

Just chiming in one more time before going to bed (just had a baby a week ago wink.gif) to say that vet shopping is good and personally I encourage it, as I've worked in clinic that was the only clinic in a remote town -- people felt we were charging what we did because we could, they hated not having a choice and they took it out on us, even though it wasn't our fault we were the only clinic in town.

BUT -- don't just shop for price. Ask what's included. Pain medication? IV fluids? What level of anaesthetic monitoring -- just respiratory rate and heart rate? Or do they check blood pressure, end tidal carbon dioxide, etc? Are vitals recorded every 15 minutes, or every 5? Are patients monitored constantly until they have fully recovered from the GA, or are they left in a room with a nurse occasionally poking his/her head in? Those are the differences that could account for big differences in prices for the same procedure, done to different standards. original.gif

#24 FiveAus

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

The vets I've spoken to seem to provide the same level of care, the only difference I can see is the price ( and I am very thorough in my questioning), but for something like hip and elbow x-rays, where there is sedation only, and no surgery or post-op care, I'd have thought the prices would be within coo-ee of each other but there's a difference of up to $200. If I head to the city, I believe the prices are even cheaper......$250 as opposed to my cheapest local quote of $400.

#25 lamarque

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

Sorry  OP - side track:

QUOTE (censura carnero @ 06/01/2013, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm taking tramadol for back pain. 20 tablets at 100mg was $15.95.

Hope your back pain is improving CC and your CT went well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

The 'no children' wedding invite

It was the wedding of one of my oldest and dearest friends, and she had invited me to be her bridesmaid. It was quite an honour. But there was one problem.

Baby Dylan recovering well after spending five days alone

For up to five days he lay alone after his mother died of a suspected drug overdose, but eight-month-old Dylan Micallef has made an incredible recovery.

The mystery of William Tyrell, little boy lost

The question remains: How does a little boy simply vanish without a trace?

Woman fights off robber, then gives birth

A thief in the US got more than he bargained for when he try to rob a woman who was nine months pregnant because he figured she would be an easy target.

Video: Two-year-old tells mum off for laughing at her

This little girl is not happy that her mum started laughing during her performance - so she tells her exactly how she feels about it.

Coping with a bolter

My 15-month-old has suddenly added a burst of real speed to her toddle. She should be classed a flight risk.

Single, 51 and pregnant

Tracey Kahn didn't realise she wanted to become a mother until she was well into her 40s. Now 51, she is pregnant with her second child.

An open letter to Tony Abbott: please salvage our super

We face financial ruin, but most of us don?t realise it. If we don?t act together to salvage our superannuation, I have no doubt the new GFC will be the Girls? Financial Crisis.

'I'm happy to know I'm changing lives': surrogate mum of two

I know that once the baby is born, I will focus on the gift I have given, and watch the parents with their new child. I can't wait for that day.

Birth trauma and the issue of informed consent

There is a perception that women should just be happy they have a healthy baby in their arms. But for women who experienced birth trauma, there's a lot more to it.

Tips for managing pollen allergies and hayfever

They're simple tips, but they can have a big impact on those who suffer from hayfever and pollen allergies.

Ada Nicodemou shares tribute to her stillborn baby

Just over one month since Ada Nicodemou and her husband lost their second son, the Home and Away star has shared a touching poem for her baby.

Mum causes stir breastfeeding on train

?To the woman breastfeeding her kid on the train. Seriously! On the train?" began the letter of complaint.

10 things they don?t tell you about being pregnant

As I slowly waddle my ever-changing pregnant body towards the finishing line of my due date, it?s becoming increasingly clear there are a lot of things they just don?t tell you about pregnancy.

Overcoming a fear of the dark

A toddler's fear of the dark is very normal, but there are ways parents can help children through this stage in their development.

Kids, TV and movies: how young is too young?

It seems you don't have to throw the TV and iPad out the window - it all boils down to moderation, supervision and interaction.

Video: Baby's first birthday is a special day for mum, too

?A baby?s first birthday is also mum?s first birthday.?

The day Supernanny came to tea

Prince William's favourite celebrity child trainer Jo Frost puts Bryony Gordon and her toddler through their paces.

The words I hated hearing as new mum

It was less than a week after my son was born that I first heard it - from my mother.

To the pharmacist who sold me baby formula

On the rare occasion I catch sight of you at school, or around town, I think back to our earliest exchange. I?m sure you have no recollection of it at all.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Special offer: The Baby & Toddler Show 2014

At The Baby & Toddler Show, you?ll find everything you need to get ready for your new arrival and guide you through the early weeks and years of parenting.

Losing yourself to motherhood

While watching your baby grow into a unique little person is exciting and wondrous, the intensity of meeting everyone else?s needs can ever so sneakily overtake your own needs for self-care.

Tearing during delivery: the facts

Almost all women will experience bruising, grazing or tearing after a vaginal birth. Depending on the degree of tearing, there are various treatments available.

6 tips for a day out with a baby and toddler

Outings can be lots of fun with the kids, but there are inevitable challenges. Here's some information about days out to help you be a little more prepared.

Why I invited a dozen people to watch my son's birth

I sent invitations on burgundy scrapbooking paper stamped with a field of poppies, and told each person why I wanted him or her there. I warned that there would be nudity.

Getting labour started: tips for a natural induction

When your baby?s due date comes and goes without so much as a pop - let alone a bang - it can be disheartening. Mums and a doula share their stories of natural inductions.

7 mistakes old hands make with new babies

As I sat across the table from my friend ? me, a seasoned mother of three; her, a brand new mum ? I thought of all the mistakes an old-hand parent can make when visiting a newborn baby.

That's my boy: a dad's diary of the first 4 months

Unbearable anxiety, unspeakable joy, constant exhaustion and bouts of frustration ... The many shocks of first-time fatherhood resound in a dad's diary of his son's early months.

One of the most important things a new mum can do

Finances may not be as cute as a newborn, but with many women?s working arrangements changing post-baby, monetary matters need attention too.

The 'no children' wedding invite

"It's her wedding, so the day is all about her, not your baby." How major fall-out can occur over a simple wedding invitation.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Reader offer

2 FOR 1 TICKET OFFER

For Shopping, For Advice, For Baby & You. Enjoy a special day out with fabulous shopping from over 200 brands, leading parenting experts offering advice on a range of topics, and amazing children?s entertainment

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.