WWYD? Donation bins

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 *~Luvmy3~*

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:33 AM

Hi all, this evening after playing a few games of bowling, myself and DP came out to our car and seen 2 females rummaging through the clothes that were put in front of the donation bin. I thought maybe i should report it but didnt say anything then my DP said i should ring the police and report them, being thats what i had thought to do and having him agree i did just that. I rang the police and reported the ladies and the car they were driving.

Just wondering what you would do in this position, would you not worry about it or would you report it as well?

#2 la di dah

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:50 AM

No I wouldn't call the cops on people going through a heap of trash "in front" of a bin. If anything I might offer to buy them a sandwich.

I don't know what it's like out here but the donation bins I'm used to don't even pick up stuff "in front of" bins, just inside. And if someone can't afford the 5-10 dollars for clothes from an op-shop or Kmart, I'm not going to bust them for trashpicking.

It would not even have occured to me, in all honesty, to call the cops for that.

Can I have an option C that isn't "not worry" or "call cops"? Honestly I'd feel bad for them. Even if they've got other stuff wrong with them, I kind of feel like SOMETHING has to be wrong with them...?

Edited by la di dah, 06 January 2013 - 01:55 AM.

#3 RainRain

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:00 AM

Doesn't seem dangerous for women to be rummaging through discarded clothes, just desperate. Out of interest what did the police say?

#4 José

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:15 AM

I wouldn't call the police. Stuff near a donation bin probably doesn't belong to anyone, technically. I doubt they were breaking any laws. At least they weren't stealing clothes from shops. Sure it would be better if they purchased the clothes through the store who placed the donation bin there but I sure wouldn't call the cops on them. I'm grateful I'm not in a position where I need to rummage through discarded old clothes in order to find something to wear

#5 Coffeegirl

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:45 AM

I wouldn't call the cops for people going through my hard waste collection on the curb, and the same for people going through the charity bins.

However, the mess that these bin divers leave behind that irks me  mad.gif .  I get that they may need the goods, but there is no need to scatter them for metres around the bin, and then leave it there.

#6 CupOfCoffee

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

I am not sure what I would do.  

Stealing from charity bins costs the charities huge amounts of money and is not always stolen buy those in need.  There have been cases where people have been found and charged with theft (where they were stealing goods and selling them).

People who steal from charity bins are not only stealing, often they destroy perfectly good stock as they look for things they want and discourage people from donating.  

So while I don't know if I would ring the police, I think it was probably the right thing to do.

#7 Cacti

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

If they were put in front of the bin (not in it), I wouldn't - it says on the bins not to leave stuff outside of them. It's not really stealing if it's just left on the ground.

#8 asdf89

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:18 AM

My understanding is that the charities have to dispose of all the stuff left outside of the bins (often at great cost)... so those women were saving the charity a few dollars!

If the people who donated the items wanted them to go to the charity, they wouldn't have left them outside the bin.

I wouldn't have bothered the police about it. Would you call the police if you saw someone dumpster diving?

#9 GoneWithTheWhinge

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:54 AM

I wouldn't have rung the police.

I probably would have wondered if they were rummaging through desperation and need rather than looking through trying to find stuff to sell on, not through desperation but as an ebay business.

#10 aidensmum

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

The ones near our house have CCTV monitors and they report theft and licence plates to police.  Have seen articles in our local paper about it being theft even when left outside the donation bins, or left outside the op shop.

I wouldnt do anything personally. If I was brave I might say something or take the rego and report it to council or something.  Shame cos they would be damaging other donations in the process  and leaving stuff exposed to the weather.  Probably not the only bin they are going thru either.

#11 CountryFeral

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

I got thrown in a donation bin when I was at high school (we had one on the school grounds).

They smell REALLY bad inside.... stinky shoe smell.  It was one of the scariest experiences of my entire high school life!

If people were carefully rummaging I wouldn't have done anything, but I have yet to see anyone rummage carefully.

If they were tearing the bags open and spreading stuff around I would have said something to the police.

I've helped the tiny 90 year old lady who manages the Red Cross Shop in out little town try to gather together the detritus that had been strewn across the footpath from 'rummagers'.

She was nearly in tears as we gathered up now filthy and unusable baby clothing and toys from the gutters and from around the dog piddled veranda posts.

We had two piles - things to take home to wash again and things for the bin.  The bin pile was bigger.

#12 SeaPrincess

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE (la di dah @ 05/01/2013, 11:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know what it's like out here but the donation bins I'm used to don't even pick up stuff "in front of" bins, just inside.

There are 4 bins across the road from our old house and several by the children's school and they all have big signs saying that if anything is left outside the bins it is considered litter.  The trucks don't take it.   I wouldn't do anything.

#13 Princess.cranky.pants

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

If they were put in front of the bin (not in it), I wouldn't - it says on the bins not to leave stuff outside of them. It's not really stealing if it's just left on the ground.

Stuff near a donation bin probably doesn't belong to anyone, technically. I doubt they were breaking any laws.

Taking stuff from inside or in front of charity bins is stealing. It is breaking the law and offenders can be prosecuted. At least it is in QLD.

No I wouldn't call the cops on people going through a heap of trash "in front" of a bin. If anything I might offer to buy them a sandwich.

Most of the people stealing for charity bins are not doing so because they are in desperate need. Often it's someone who happens to see something they like so they take it because they can. And a lot of stuff ends up being sold at markets or ebay.

Stealing from charity bins is a huge problem and is costing charities thousands every. They take the good stuff, destroy what's left and leave a big mess for volunteers to clean up. If I saw someone taking donations I would report them.

I never put donations in bins because they can get stolen or ruined because some scum has put stinking bags of rubbish in the bins..

#14 Just-one-more

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

When we moved recently we dropped heaps of stuff in the bin near our house. A tall washing hamper that wouldn't fit in I left next to the bin. As I was going home I realised I had most likely left a set of play silks in the hamper as I planned to keep it but at the last minute donated it. I went back and found them. Someone very well might have thought I was rummaging I suppose?
I wouldn't call the police on them unless they had broken into the bin or the charity store or they were tossing things around making a big mess?

#15 Feral Madam Mim

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

This is why I never use the bins, I take my stuff directly to the shops.

#16 jessie123

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE (mad madam mim @ 06/01/2013, 05:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is why I never use the bins, I take my stuff directly to the shops.

This. Often it is taken to sell at markets/ebay.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

A mum's tragic battle against inflammatory breast cancer

At just 37 years of age, with two young sons, Vicki was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. Now her family wants all women to know the symptoms.

The business of babies around the world

Pregnancy and birth is an intriguing process no matter where you are in the world. One soon-to-be father gleans wisdom from a new guide.

Finding a positive path through IVF

It’s not surprising that IVF is often seen as a negative journey towards the ultimate positive, but having a glass-half-full approach can make a big difference to the experience.

Giving strangers the gift of parenthood

A mum explains why she and her husband are choosing to gift their leftover embryos to help strangers achieve their dream of parenthood.

Does morning sickness get better or worse with each child?

Just as every baby is unique, so is every pregnancy. And that means morning sickness can vary a lot, too.

What's so wrong with looking 'mumsy', anyway?

Why is it that the word ‘mumsy’ has connotations of such a negative nature – but seems to be the only other option apart from ‘yummy’?

Trying to speed up the inevitable

As the waiting game of late pregnancy continues, this mum considers a few things that might hurry things up a little.

One month later: where is William Tyrell?

It has been a little over a month since William Tyrell disappeared from his grandmother's home, 33 long sleepless nights for his family as they mourn the absence of their cheeky young boy.

Winter's child less likely to be moody: study

Babies born in the summer are much more likely to suffer from mood swings when they grow up, while those born in the winter are less likely to become irritable adults, scientists claim.

Single mum of two creates award-winning baby app

Suddenly single with a baby and an 11-year-old son, Tara O?Connell developed an app to improve the lives of mothers who were similarly overwhelmed.

Food for thought: looking after yourself as a new mum

As soon as your baby enters the world, everything else takes a back seat - even the necessities of daily life such as eating are severely compromised, right when you need energy the most.

'Grabbable guts' campaign aims to cut toxic fat

The Live Lighter campaign will take people inside the human body to show the internal dangers of being overweight.

The best and worst month of my life

A new mum's first month of motherhood didn't pan out as expected when she lost a family member weeks after her baby's birth.

Facebook and Apple offer to pay female staff to freeze their eggs

Facebook and Apple are hoping to provide women with the freedom to build their careers without the added pressure of having children at or by a certain age.

How a pregnancy contract could work for you and your partner

The idea of making a 'pregnancy contract' with your partner may sound a bit silly at first, but it can help make the transition to parenthood a lot smoother.

Finding a mum-friendly personal trainer

Burping babies vs burpees – yes, new mums and personal trainers live in different worlds. But they can work together - once you find the right match for you and your lifestyle.

Alleged baby snatch incident a ?misunderstanding?, say police

Police say that an incident in which a man pulled on a woman?s pram while walking a popular Sydney route late last month was a misunderstanding.

Ebola killed my aunt and is shutting down my country

Three weeks ago, my auntie, a midwife, developed a fever. Sitting here in Sydney basked in Australian sunshine, that shouldn't be big news.

The night my ovary burst

One mum shares her frightening experience and vows to never take her health for granted again.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win 1 of 5 Canon Powershot D30 cameras

Capture life more easily with the Canon Powershot D30. Shockproof, waterproof and dustproof, you can take it almost anywhere and shoot beautiful images, time after time. Enter now!

16 parenting truths you won't find in the baby books

I am five years into this parenting gig and I’ve learnt that sleepless nights and changing dirty nappies are child’s play.

Best and worst potty party cakes

It's nice to celebrate a child making the shift from nappies to 'big kid' undies, but do we really need a semi-realistic used toilet cake to do it? Here are some of the best and worst cakes parents have used at 'potty parties' around the world.

7 tips for a financially festive Christmas

Plan ahead - and do it now - to ensure festive season expenses don't break the bank.

'Go the F*** to Sleep' author's new book for frustrated parents

A sequel is coming soon to the 2011 hit book 'Go the F*** to Sleep' - and this time, it's about mealtimes.

Great birthday party buys from Etsy

Handmade crafts to decorate and personalise your child's next birthday - from banners to cake decorations, we've got gorgeous party finds from Etsy.

Creative storage ideas for the kids' rooms

Creative and practical storage ideas for the kids' toys and books can also add some stylish decor to your home. Visit babyology.com.au for more stylish modern finds for hip kids & parents.

The mum who never met her baby

There was one more thing Kymberlie Shepherd wanted to experience in life - motherhood. But a rare illness took her first.

To the mum in the doctor's waiting room

Maybe the mum I saw in that waiting room, seemingly disconnected from her baby, doesn’t have the support she needs.

10 space-saving nursery ideas

Starting a family doesn't always mean moving into a bigger house - not yet, anyway.

What's in a name?

Baby Names

Looking for a classic name, or an unusual name? Our Baby Name Finder is for you, search or browse to refine your shortlist.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.