Taking off the wedding ring...when?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_3Keiki_*

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

So I have been stewing about this since the 27th, I went to a christmas function in Sydney - very la di dah, with lots of la di dah folks. I had a good time. The next day my friend who invited me called to have a go about still wearing me wedding ring. Apparently as it has been well over a year since DH passed I need to lose the ring and 'move on' and she was wanting to set me up with available men but my wedder was sending the wrong message. I did get asked out at the party. Apparently she made it clear to at least one man I was a widow and I declined. I don't feel ready. I still feel married. I still want to be married, preferably to the wonderful man I married many years ago.... but I am conflicted.
Am I hanging on for the sake of hanging on?
I don't want to date, as a matter of fact after the party it suddenly hit me that there is the vaguest possibility I could have sex again. I had a panic attack at the thought of it. So not ready for any of that nonsense... but the wedder.... when should it go?

#2 erindiv

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

It's up to you and don't let anyone tell you when it 'should' come off.

#3 SCARFACE CLAW

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

Only when you feel ready to, and your friend is out of line pressuring you to take it off and start dating sad.gif  I wouldn't consider a year very long to "get over" your husband dying. Do what feels right, keep the ring on if it gives you some comfort and tell your friend to pull her head in.

#4 MrsLexiK

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

When you are ready. I am sorry your friend is a twit! I know someone who still wears hers, sometime in the last 6 months they have gone onto her other fingers but they are still there. Her husband passed away about 4 years ago and she has dated and been in a relationship with someone but it didn't mean she didn't want the rings still on.

#5 MummyIHK

I'm shocked that anyone would feel that they have a right to comment on you wearing a ring that your DH gave you as a token of his love.  You wear it for as long as you want to, don't worry for even 1 millisecond what anyone else thinks/says.

#6 TinyTeddys

Sounds like your not ready...don't let anyone rush you, do it in your own time when it feels right for you.

#7 jojonbeanie

What should go is the interfering by your friend. Tell her to mind her own bees wax and keep your ring on for as long as you like.

#8 michellew68

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:06 PM

When you are ready and not before!!

There are no rules. Who has the right to make them?

Live your life the way you want. I wore my wedding ring for over a year after my exH left because I didnt want my marriage over.

Why on earth should you move on because someone else says you should? Most counsellors say it takes at least two years to get over a real love.

#9 CallMeFeral

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

It goes whenever you're ready for it to. Whether that's tomorrow, or never, or anything in between, is fine.

#10 la di dah

I think your friend is out of line.

There might come a time when you don't want to wear it anymore but only keep it safe somewhere, or you might want to wear it every day but on your right hand, to keep it close but not say "married" the same way. But you don't have to rush those feelings and you're not wrong to not feel them.

I think having your feelings is at least as valid as her wanting to set you up with people.

She's probably trying to help and doing it from a well-meaning place but you don't have to be cool with it. I'd tell her to step off.

#11 jayskette

This is not stopping you from making friends (of either sex)!

#12 Beth E

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:12 PM

You will know when you feel ready.

I lost my first DH in 1997, and I wore my wedding ring for well over a year, and then after that I wore it on a chain around my neck.

I had people ask me about it too - like "why are you still wearing it?".  Annoying I know, but you just have to stand your ground and do it when you feel right about it.

You will know when.

And so sorry for your loss..  x

#13 ELKO

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

When YOU are ready.  My MIL husband passed away 35 years ago and she still wears hers as she is just not interested in another relationship and I guess has never felt ready. My mother stopped wearing hers about 2 years after my step father died as she was feeling like she was ready to move on.

Don't let anyone tell you it's time, you make that decision for yourself.

#14 bandbub

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

as pp have said when ever you feel ready   my dad passed away 22 years ago and my mum still wears his wedding band and she has also remarried my step father respects this

#15 MintyBiscuit

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:19 PM

Your friend is way out of line. My FIL is still wearing his ring, and my MIL passed a little over two years ago. My mum wore her ring for ages after Dad died, then one day just stopped - she wasn't sure why, it just felt ok not to wear it anymore.

I don't think a year sounds like long at all to be honest. That first year after a death is so hard, with the initial shock of grief and then all those firsts without your loved one. The subsequent year for me had always been the time of coming to terms with the new normal. I'm amazed your friend could be so rude - please don't let her or anyone else dictate how you grieve.

#16 peckingbird

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

My FIL died 20 years ago when my DH was only 12 years old, and my MIL still wears her wedding ring.  In her view, they are still husband and wife, even though he is not here in body, she believes he is with her always in spirit. I find this lovely.

It is totally up to you to make this decision, don't be pressured by anyone. They have not been through what you have been through.

Sorry for your loss.

#17 Guest_3Keiki_*

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

Thanks everyone...
I know she is coming from a place of love, she sort of thinks setting up the farm is the beginning of some kind of seculsion for me. Mind you she is the sort of person who thinks county australia is Bowral if you know what I mean.
But I am not ready, so not ready I can not actually imagine a time when I am.... thats what you get for being in love eh?

#18 Feral Nicety

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

Your friend needs a good kick in the chops.  A year is no time at all to grieve a partner.

#19 Propaganda

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

I thought you were going to say since you divorced... in which case I would agree that's weird. But you didn't divorce... this is totally different.

What a rude and insensitive thing for that person to say to you. You do it when you're ready... IF you're ever ready.

#20 Mumma Mash

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

I don't think you can put a time on these things can you? If it were me, I personally would never take them off. That would be very hard.
I think you do things in youre own time and when you're ready. A year is too soon in my eyes.

#21 Mumma_G

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

When you and only you are ready to do so ... IF you ever are!

#22 cinnabubble

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

Mind you she is the sort of person who thinks county australia is Bowral if you know what I mean.

That's not country. It's outback.

Tell your friend you have no interest in dating for her convenience.

#23 Chchgirl

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

QUOTE (3Keiki @ 05/01/2013, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So I have been stewing about this since the 27th, I went to a christmas function in Sydney - very la di dah, with lots of la di dah folks. I had a good time. The next day my friend who invited me called to have a go about still wearing me wedding ring. Apparently as it has been well over a year since DH passed I need to lose the ring and 'move on' and she was wanting to set me up with available men but my wedder was sending the wrong message. I did get asked out at the party. Apparently she made it clear to at least one man I was a widow and I declined. I don't feel ready. I still feel married. I still want to be married, preferably to the wonderful man I married many years ago.... but I am conflicted.
Am I hanging on for the sake of hanging on?
I don't want to date, as a matter of fact after the party it suddenly hit me that there is the vaguest possibility I could have sex again. I had a panic attack at the thought of it. So not ready for any of that nonsense... but the wedder.... when should it go?

No, you don't have to lose the ring and quite frankly it's nobodies business! My dh has been gone 6 months and in my opinion nobody can understand unless they have been through the same. Some days I wear mine and some I don't.

I have no interest in dating nor marrying again, more for the fact I don't want to share my things nor do I want someone moving in and then taking half of my children's house and what we had worked so hard for for over 20 years..I am happy to date someone who has no interest in moving in or getting married..

Wear it and don't let anyone pressure you into dating when you are not ready. I know of people in the same boat who don't do so for years!

Edited by Chchgirl, 05 January 2013 - 09:49 PM.

#24 Chchgirl

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

QUOTE (3Keiki @ 05/01/2013, 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks everyone...
I know she is coming from a place of love, she sort of thinks setting up the farm is the beginning of some kind of seculsion for me. Mind you she is the sort of person who thinks county australia is Bowral if you know what I mean.
But I am not ready, so not ready I can not actually imagine a time when I am.... thats what you get for being in love eh?

I don't see the problem, I like seclusion!

#25 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

QUOTE (Balzac @ 05/01/2013, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your friend needs a good kick in the chops.  A year is no time at all to grieve a partner.

Not so much a kick in the chops but a hug for wanting you to be happy with a new partner. Tell her 'thanks for your concern but I'm fine as I am right now".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Share the little things that make you smile

We're giving away a Mountain Buggy nano, the ultimate travel stroller - and here are some of the great entries so far.

Toddler pleads for return of "stolen" nose

A two-year-old's reaction to a game of "got your nose" shows it doesn't take much to make a toddler cry.

The 15 photos new parents share (and five they don't)

From the first scan photo to the baby covered in cake at their first birthday party, there are 15 photos most parents seem to share - and some they don't.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

Breastfeeding friendly café goes viral

A photo of a breastfeeding-friendly sign in a cafe has been posted to Facebook and shared by hundreds of mums around the world.

First look at the Bugaboo Bee3

The newest Bugaboo Bee ? the Bee3 ? offers a variety of improved features, including a much asked-for bassinet and a rainbow of colour combinations.

Childcare costs, not paid leave, the real issue for parents

Given the choice between maintaining their wage for six months to have a child, or having a reduced rate of pay for a time but a better deal on childcare when returning to work, there are no odds on what most working parents would choose.

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

We lost three babies in two years

Our first pregnancy ended the way we all expected it to - with a healthy, happy baby in our arms. What a true blessing he was, for we were not to know the heartache we were about endure.

Family turned back from doomed flight MH17

'There must have been someone watching over us and saying, 'You must not get on that flight,' says mother who narrowly avoided boarding the Malaysian Airlines flight which exploded in mid-air over the Ukraine last night.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Adorable Skeanie loafers for kids

Your little toddler or preschooler can now get their nautical on with a new range of classic loafers by Australian show brand Skeanie.

My baby is hypermobile

For months, I have been telling myself not to worry that Jasmin isn't crawling or walking. This week I heard the term hypermobile for the first time.

When you don?t bond with your baby

They say that there is no bond greater than the bond between a mother and her child. But for some women, the mother-baby bond takes more time and effort to develop.

Yumi Stynes: Having a baby after a 10-year break

After a long break, Yumi Stynes gets a reminder of the pain - and the pleasure - of giving birth.

Grieving father asks for help to Photoshop his daughter's image

When Nathan Steffel's daughter Sophia died from a liver condition at just 6 weeks old, he reached out for someone to create a beautiful image of his little girl.

Raising kids in a 'low media' home

Can you imagine a life without TV or computers? Some parents are opting for a low-tech, screen-free life for their kids.

Download now: Essential Kids Activity Finder app

Got bored kids? Quickly find the best activities for kids wherever you are in Australia with the Essential Kids app.

Advertisement

Advertisement

What's hot on EB

Win a Mountain Buggy nano

We?re giving away the new Mountain Buggy Nano - the lightweight travel buggy! So show us the little things that make you smile for your chance to win.

The beautiful moment a baby was born at the side of a road

It's not where she expected to give birth, but mum Corrine Cinatl is delighted that her daughter's roadside arrival was captured in a series of beautiful photos.

Doctor sings first Happy Birthday to newborns

His job is to deliver babies, but this US obstetrician also has a unique way of celebrating the miracle of life.

The Nappy Collective starts new drive

It's that time of year when the dedicated volunteers at The Nappy Collective do their bit to help out mums and children in need - and they need your help.

Baby shower cake wrecks

From misshapen cake babies to questionable text, from odd colour choices to internal organ recreation, these are the baby shower cakes that taste forgot.

Photographer captures the beauty of adoption

The love of a family is usually tough to capture on camera. This is an exception.

Pregnancy progression photo ideas

Want to record your pregnancy as your belly grows? Here are some creative, fun ideas for photo shoots along the way.

The myths and facts about "normal" breastfeeding

When it comes to successful breastfeeding, there is a wide variety to what is "normal", according to new research.

Tin can craft and DIY ideas

Got a few old formula, Milo or coffee cans around the house? Use these fantastic upcycling ideas to create items for around the house and yard.

Dads meet their newborn for the first time

Emotional photos of two fathers meeting their newborn son have resonated with viewers worldwide, attracting thousands of Facebook likes and shares.

Skin safety isn't just a summer worry

Lax about the slip slop slap with your kids as weather turns cooler? Here's a reminder as to why we have to remain vigilant for our children?s future health.

Personalised baby gifts

We've scoured the internet to find gorgeous personalised keepsakes and nursery decor to record baby name and dates. They make great gifts for christenings, name days and birthdays! (All prices in AU.)

Creative sleeping baby photoshoots

See how some parents and photographers have captured sleeping babies in unusual positions and using different props.

DIY kitchen and food hacks

DIY your way to a better kitchen and make cooking easier with our clever hacks. (Some content reproduced with permission from mashable.com.)

Winter warmers for babies and toddlers

Your baby or toddler will be nice and snug in these beautiful and fun winter pieces. Most are hand-made or knitted, and they're all designed to keep your little one toastie - and adorable!

Mind, body, beauty, life

Making time for me

We look at your wellbeing, covering health, relationships, beauty and fashion, mind and body.

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.